PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove League show report

Chip R
03-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 3-21-07. Tom Gamble was the host and recapped the Reds 5-3 loss to the Twins today. Tom said that Bob Castellini was watching the game today. Kyle Lohse will start for the Reds tomorrow against the Yankees. Tom said that the Reds released Paul Wilson today. Wilson was 1-0 and had an 8.10 ERA this spring. Tom quoted Jr. as saying the move to right field is not a big deal. Tom said that when Jr. was asked if he'd play this week, Jr. said, "We'll see."

After commercial Tom said he doesn't understand why Milton is going to be sent out there every 5th day. He said Belisle has been solid all spring and should be one of the top 4 starters and Milton should be a 5th starter at the most. Tom said that it isn't helping the Reds win sending Milton out there every 5th day. Tom talked about competition for some of the last roster spots. He said Josh Hamilton is safe. Even though he has cooled off somewhat, he is still productive. He said no one expects Josh to hit .500 but everybody loves his innate skills. Tom said that a tough decision has to be made in regards to Jared Burton, the other Rule 5 pickup. Tom said a guy who throws a 93 MPH slider, as Burton does, is a part of the staff.

After commercial, Marty joined Tom by phone. Tom said you had to be impressed by Lohse's start against the Sox on Saturday, Marty said that he was impressive since the Sox had 6 of their starters in there and pointed out how talented Lohse is when he is throwing strikes. He said the Yankees will probably have several of their starters playing tomorrow. Marty said if he pitches well - even if it's not as good as his last start - you have something to hang your hat on. If not, same old Kyle Lohse. Tom said that Milton's start wasn't surprising. Marty said he was disappointed by Milton's start today. He said it wasn't so much that he gave up 3 runs in the 1st (Always a good way to start the game) but that he gave up the lead right after the Reds tied it. Marty said that he has been saying all winter that the Reds must see something in Milton that he doesn't because he is not comfortable with him in the rotation. (Frankly, I'd be more comfortable with Joe out there. Nuxie, not Mays.) Marty said Milton is what he is and he doesn't understand why anyone would think we are going to see a different pitcher than the one we have seen the last 2 years. Marty said that he's going to ask Narron why Milton shouldn't be the 5th starter so you can skip over him if you have an open date. Tom said that you don't get worried if a guy like Harang is giving up a lot of hits in ST. But with Milton it is more of the same. Tom said that at some point he shouldn't be in the rotation at all. Marty said that with the kind of money they are paying him they will run him out there every 5th day even if it means losing. Marty said if Milton were making $1M a year, they would release him. Tom compared it to continuing to throw money at a bad investment. Marty said that he asked a guy in the Reds baseball operations why wouldn't they release him if he's going to pitch lousy. You aren't out any more money. (Marty has finally grasped the sunken cost theory) Marty said the guy told him that you hope he shows improvement and maybe he pitches well enough so you can trade him. (And if that happens they won't trade him cause he's pitching so well. Catch 22, anyone?) Marty told the guy that that was all well and good but by that time you may be 13 games out of first so why would it matter anyway?

Tom mentioned the release of Paul Wilson. He said everyone was rooting for him but the decline in velocity and the inability to get outs was the reason he was let go. He asked Marty's take on it. Marty said he doesn't know if Paul won't ever be able to come back (Oh, good. Maybe we can invite him to ST again next year.) Marty said he heard that he may try to hook on with someone else (Preferably the Brewers, Cubs, Cards, Pirates or Astros.) Marty said the feeling was that right now his velocity is not where it should be to get people out. He said it may just be a matter of rebuilding his arm strength. Marty said the Reds went as far with him as they could and if it were anyone else, he probably wouldn't have been invited to ST. He mentioned how well Paul was liked and said there was no classier guy who has put on a uniform in baseball. He said he went to say goodbye to Paul today and Paul told him to keep calling them as he (Marty) saw them. Marty said he was stunned he would say something like that and the younger players in the clubhouse will really miss him. Tom asked if Paul still had an option. Marty said he probably didn't but even if he did, he doesn't think he would have agreed to go to AAA.

After commercial, Tom said Marty and Joe will be at Turfway Park on Friday night at some sort of shindig where they tell stories and whatnot. Tom asked Marty about Burton. Marty said he would bet everything he owned that Burton will be a part of the pitching staff on Opening Day. He said even if he weren't a Rule 5 guy, he's earned his way on the pitching staff. Marty said that he probably has the only power arm in the bullpen. (How soon we forget Todd Coffey.) He said he has a lot of guts and isn't intimidated by anyone. He mentioned that he was brought in in the middle if an inning to get Jason Bay out and he got him on 3 pitches. He didn't come in nibbling cause he was scared of Bay, he went right after him and did the same thing today. Marty also had high praise for John Coutlangus but said he probably won't make the team. (Seniority has its privileges) Marty said they have more talent and depth in the camp this spring than they had last year that it's almost laughable.

Tom asked Marty about Dustin Hermanson and could he start the season as the closer. Marty said the Reds want him to make the team. They want him to be the closer. He said Dustin has to stay healthy and get people out. He said he has impressed people. Marty said Dustin has a closer mentality and he has been successful at it in the past. Marty has never bought into the closer by committee. He said if Dustin can close, everybody else fills a slot they are comfortable with. (Makes sense if he can close).

Tom asked Marty about Dunn. Marty said that Dunn looks totally different to him. He looks more patient and looks like he's finally come to the decision if he has to go the other way or up the middle, that is what he's going to do. Marty mentioned that Dunn has said that he's taking a sort of Ichiro philosophy to the plate only Dunn can hit it out the other way. Marty said he probably will strike out 150 times but if the light has finally gone on and he realizes what he has to do to be more productive, the Reds will be a better team.

Tom asked Marty about Jr. moving to right field and when he was going to play. Marty said it probably won't take him more than 5-6 games to get ready since he's taken a lot of BP. But he said that it is possible that Jr. could be on the DL on Opening Day.

After commercial, the first caller asked Tom about Encarnacion. Tom said he's having an uneventful spring. He said last year at first he was a liability defensively but improved as the year went on, He sees him batting about .280 with 25-35 HRs driving in 80 plus runs. The caller said he loves him and Tom agreed and said he will develop into an every day 3rd baseman for the Reds.

The next caller said if Milton is any more than a 5th starter, he has to question what is going on down there. Tom said that when he came here no one could envision him being that bad. He thinks that the Reds believe that his recover from the injuries he had last year will be the key to his improvement.

Tune in next week for the last report of the season. Same Bat time. Same Bat channel.

This endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 3-21-07. So let ti be written. So let it be done.

goreds2
03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Thank you for the report. :)

pedro
03-21-2007, 11:16 PM
It's Thom.

As in Mccann. ;)

Thanks for the report Chip. :)

flyer85
03-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Hermanson and his 84 mph fastball should be just fine in the closer role, especially for a guy who has never spent a full season as a closer.

Jr's Boy
03-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Thanks Chip.

TeamBoone
03-22-2007, 12:40 AM
I've never heard of Thom Gamble; who is he?

And why was Marty "stunned" by what Paul Wilson said to him? I don't get it.

Chip R
03-22-2007, 12:49 AM
I've never heard of Thom Gamble; who is he?

And why was Marty "stunned" by what Paul Wilson said to him? I don't get it.

Tom Gamble is/was one of the Two Angry Guys on Homer.

I think Marty was stunned by what Paul said because he doesn't expect players to tell him to call them as he sees them i.e. telling it like it is.

KronoRed
03-22-2007, 01:26 AM
Hermanson and his 84 mph fastball should be just fine in the closer role, especially for a guy who has never spent a full season as a closer.

He knows how to win. :thumbup:

Thanks Chip

Ron Madden
03-22-2007, 03:14 AM
Paul Wilson is a good guy.. his arm is gone

Dustin Hermanson is probably a good guy... his arm is likely gone as well.

BRM
03-22-2007, 10:26 AM

I really don't get the Hermanson as closer idea. I really don't. Oh well, all I can do is hope it works out somehow.

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 11:06 AM

84? You think it's that fast, huh? :laugh: If his FB is 84 then his slider is probably 77 or so. Split might be 79-81. HOLY Schniiiikees!!

BRM
03-22-2007, 11:09 AM
he will develop into an every day 3rd baseman for the Reds

I just caught this little nugget. Surely they don't see him as a guy who needs to split time with someone (Castro?) at 3B this season. I assumed he already was the "every day" 3rd baseman.

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 11:10 AM
I just caught this little nugget. Surely they don't see him as a guy who needs to split time with someone at 3B this season. I assumed he already was the "every day" 3B.

My guess is they mean a guy that doesn't have to be replaced defensively.

BRM
03-22-2007, 11:11 AM
My guess is they mean a guy that doesn't have to be replaced defensively.

Ah, that could be. I'm sure the plan right now is to bring Castro in as a late inning defensive replacement in close games.

RichRed
03-22-2007, 11:14 AM
What I want to know is, does Conine still have a young body?

Thanks, Chip. :)

gm
03-22-2007, 07:03 PM
So let ti be written. So let it be done.

Why should "ti" be written? :evil:

Sounds like Marty may be warming up to Adam. (That'll last until the first Donkey K w/RISP)