PDA

View Full Version : Rangers interested in Denorfia

Tom Servo
03-22-2007, 08:19 AM
From Ken Rosenthal:

The Rangers, continuing their pursuit of a right-handed hitter who could spell Kenny Lofton in center field, are targeting the Reds' Chris Denorfia and Giants' Jason Ellison, among others.
The Reds might prefer to keep Denorfia, who at the moment is one of their few healthy outfielders; Ryan Freel, Norris Hopper, Josh Hamilton and Ken Griffey Jr. all are less than 100 percent.

Ellison, like Denorfia, plays all three outfield positions, and the Giants would benefit from his speed and defense. However, Ellison is out of minor-league options, and the Giants might prefer to keep veteran Mark Sweeney for their final roster spot.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6595514

Rotater Cuff
03-22-2007, 09:35 AM
I think Norris Hopper has more potential than Denorfia. Trade him while you can. He doesn't have power, and we have an excess of outfielders. Shin splints don't count as a serious injury.

redsmetz
03-22-2007, 09:46 AM
I think our roster glut works in our favor. We've got several tradeable pieces that can be of interest to other clubs filling slots such as this. I'll be surprised if there's not any late Spring Training moves.

flyer85
03-22-2007, 10:15 AM
No reason to deal him unless they get something worthwhile.

RedsManRick
03-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Norris Hopper has a career minor league line of .290/.345/.337

Chris Denorfia has a career minor league line of .296/.377/.441

Hopper is 1 year older than Denorfia.

edabbs44
03-22-2007, 10:21 AM
I think Norris Hopper has more potential than Denorfia. Trade him while you can. He doesn't have power, and we have an excess of outfielders. Shin splints don't count as a serious injury.

Seriously? The guy has 39 ABs above AA in his life. He has 4 HRs in his professional career.

In 2005, as a 26 year old, he hit .310/.354/.368. He had a .368 SLG! Denorfia had a .349 BA in AAA as a 26 year old. Same age, one level higher, .19 less in his BA than Hopper's SLG.

Now...please explain why you would think that he has more potential than Denorfia.

And by the way, Deno was voted the bets defensive player in the Intl League last year.

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 10:23 AM
I'd trade Hopper too. Get something for him at his peak. If Wayne pulls that off I will bake him a Birthday cake.

Highlifeman21
03-22-2007, 10:27 AM
I'd trade Hopper too. Get something for him at his peak. If Wayne pulls that off I will bake him a Birthday cake.

Hopper has a peak?

Who knew?

Red Leader
03-22-2007, 10:37 AM
No reason to deal him unless they get something worthwhile.

That's absolutely correct.

I've never been a fan of "pairing" players when the overall effect is lessening the value in return, but if Wayne could somehow manage to involve Milton in a deal like this (w/Denorfia) and still get a young, somewhat valuable player in return, that would be best. I think we have enough depth in SP that we could actually benefit more by trading Milton than keeping him. While losing Denorfia would hurt, it doesn't sound like the Reds have a long term spot for him to play everyday, ie, he's not really in their plans other than as an emergency backup.

Obviously, it would be great to get Otsuka for the back of our bullpen, but I don't see that happening with a Milton/Denorfia offer, or even with Denorfia plus another prospect. It could, depending on the prospect, but maybe this is the spot the Reds could get their catcher of the future. Maybe Wayne could flip Milton and Denorfia for Taylor Teagarden and a prospect like OF Freddy Guzman. Before you laugh, remember this is the team that traded Gonzalez and Chris Young for Adam Eaton. The team that traded Francisco Cordero, Kevin Mench, Laynce Nix and minor league righty Julian Cordero for FA to be Carlos Lee and OF Nelson Cruz. The same team that is a couple years removed from giving up Travis Hafner and Aaron Myette for Einar Diaz and Ryan Drese and giving up Ruben Mateo and Edwin Encarnacion for Rob Bell. These guys haven't exactly ripped anyone off in awhile.

UK Reds Fan
03-22-2007, 10:38 AM
If this is serious about looking to deal Deno, might as well package him up with Cormier (or Milton but not realistic) and get someone nice in return.

Red Leader
03-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I like the fact that Texas apparently came to Wayne about Deno as well. That bodes well for a good return and better leverage.

cincy09
03-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Would the Rangers be interested in Feel as well?

jojo
03-22-2007, 10:48 AM
I think Norris Hopper has more potential than Denorfia.

why?

jojo
03-22-2007, 10:53 AM
If this is serious about looking to deal Deno, might as well package him up with Cormier (or Milton but not realistic) and get someone nice in return.

Making someone take Courmier as part of the deal actually would diminish the return.

I think Deno could fetch a decent young bullpen arm that could help in '07- that seems like a pretty reasonable expectation.

Personally I think Deno would be more valuable over 400 PA and a significant number of defensive outs in centerfield than a decent bullpen arm would be.....

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Hopper has a peak?

Who knew?

Yes, a short one, but a peak it is!! Sounds like Bowden Hyperbole doesn't it? :laugh:

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-22-2007, 11:25 AM
How about Deno and Cormier for Akinori Otsuka

bucksfan2
03-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Would getting a bullpen arm help this team out? Unless it is a closer it would only clutter the pen up even more. I would rather have recieve a prospect in return for Deno.

BRM
03-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Personally I think Deno would be more valuable over 400 PA and a significant number of defensive outs in centerfield than a decent bullpen arm would be.....

I agree with you. I'd much rather give him significant time in CF for the Reds than trade him for a bullpen arm.

cacollinsmba
03-22-2007, 11:31 AM
FoxSports reported that the A's were in the market for a CF. Makes sense since Kotsay is out and Boardgame is taking his place in CF. Perhaps a Denorfia & PTBNL deal for something keeps Burton on the roster and gets us something of value in return.

edabbs44
03-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Would getting a bullpen arm help this team out? Unless it is a closer it would only clutter the pen up even more. I would rather have recieve a prospect in return for Deno.

Yep..but I wouldn't put it past Wayne. It seems like sometimes he thinks his title is the GM of the bullpen.

The only difference is the Otsuka is actually a legitimate arm.

redsmetz
03-22-2007, 11:43 AM

Unless it's something extraordinary, I'd take prospects. Our system still is a little thin; Bruce, Votto and Bailey notwithstanding. Hopper, Denorfia or Freel (perhaps a beefier prospect, if you will, for him).

Johnny Footstool
03-22-2007, 12:07 PM
How about Deno and Cormier for Akinori Otsuka

Yep. I'd offer Deno alone for Otsuka and see if they go for it. Then I'd throw in Cormier (kind of like a used car salesman throws in a free undercoating).

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Yep. I'd offer Deno alone for Otsuka and see if they go for it. Then I'd throw in Cormier (kind of like a used car salesman throws in a free undercoating).

I'm a big Deno fan but I would do that deal. Deno for Otsuka, throw in Cormier. Wayne would be the front runner for Executive of the Year. Otsuka closes and Hermanson gets to work on his fly casting.

Doc. Scott
03-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Guys, there ain't no way Texas is going to give up Otsuka for Deno and Cormier. C'mon. If I'm the Rangers I don't do anything to my bullpen until I see if Eric Gagne can do anything in real games.

kheidg-
03-22-2007, 01:18 PM
I'd even throw in a borderline prospect with Deno/Cormier to get Otsuka. He would upgrade our bullpen significantly and would be the closer immediately.

edabbs44
03-22-2007, 01:25 PM
I'd even throw in a borderline prospect with Deno/Cormier to get Otsuka. He would upgrade our bullpen significantly and would be the closer immediately.

That would make a lot of sense...if so much money and energy wasn't already spent on Weathers, Cormier, Stanton, Hermanson, Burton, etc etc etc.

WK has been acting like a boiler room market manipulator. He thinks he is going to corner the market on bullpen arms and drive up the price of relievers, then sell at a huge profit. Too bad he's the only one who got burnt in that scam last season.

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Guys, there ain't no way Texas is going to give up Otsuka for Deno and Cormier. C'mon. If I'm the Rangers I don't do anything to my bullpen until I see if Eric Gagne can do anything in real games.

True, but since we are playing along in Fantasy Land we might as well enjoy the fantasy. :thumbup:

Johnny Footstool
03-22-2007, 02:24 PM

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Red Leader
03-22-2007, 02:27 PM
It doesn't hurt to ask.

Especially when that team came to you, inquiring about one of your players and has a trade history that wouldn't exactly be labeled "stellar."

jojo
03-22-2007, 03:21 PM
It doesn't hurt to ask.

I guess not, but you probably want other GMs to actually answer your future phone calls.....

Jr's Boy
03-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Otsuka ain't going no where after the season he had last year.Gagne is not reliable as of yet,so I doubt very highly the Rangers will give up their insurance policy in Otsuka.