PDA

View Full Version : Tony LaRussa arrested...

TOBTTReds
03-22-2007, 10:02 AM
on suspicion of DUI.

Updated: March 22, 2007, 9:00 AM ET
Cardinals manager arrested for DUI in Florida

JUPITER, Fla. -- St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was arrested early Thursday and charged with misdemeanor DUI after he was found asleep at the wheel in his running SUV at a green light.

La Russa's SUV was stopped at a light that, according to police, went through two cycles of green. A driver behind La Russa had to go around his vehicle, police said.

Police found La Russa slumped over in the driver's seat of the running SUV. The manager of the world champion Cardinals had his foot on the brake and did not respond to knocks on the window, police said. He finally woke up and parked the car.

Police said they noticed the smell of alcohol on his breath, and a field sobriety test was conducted.

The 62-year-old LaRussa was sent to the Palm Beach County Jail around 4 a.m., according to the jail's Web site. La Russa provided breath samples, which measured at a .093 blood alcohol level, police said. The legal limit for drivers in Florida is 0.08.

Police didn't immediately return a phone message from The Associated Press seeking comment.

The Cardinals play spring training games at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2807935

cumberlandreds
03-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Mike & Mike on ESPN have been talking about it. Apparently found asleep at the wheel, at a red light, with his foot on the brake. If this is true, he is very lucky no one, including himself, was killed or hurt very badly.

MrCinatit
03-22-2007, 10:08 AM
That is one big EEEE-YOUCh!
Not really something a team wants to see as it prepares to go into the regular season.

dabvu2498
03-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Maybe he can represent himself in court.

RedLegSuperStar
03-22-2007, 10:14 AM
STOP DRINKING AND DRIVING!

Good grief.. especially athletes who are looked apon by the younger generation as role models. Go out.. have a good time but get a designated driver or a cab.

edabbs44
03-22-2007, 10:16 AM
MLB should give him a firm and public punishment...this isn't like the bullpen coach from the Royals getting arrested.

coachw513
03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Part of me wants to laugh and make fun of this pompous donkey...but this is serious...I'm glad no one was killed and I genuinely hope this isn't a sign of a larger problem in his life, but rather a very, very poor judgement on his part...

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Oooops! A little tarnish on the ring already. I'm sure there are people on the Cardinals board calling for his head. Where would LaRussa be at 4 AM? That's what I can't figure out?

REDREAD
03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Actually a .093 blood level isn't that bad. It used to be that you needed a .10 level to be considered drunk.

A .093 is probably about 3 beers for someone his size. He probably fell asleep because it was 4 AM.

CySeymour
03-22-2007, 10:33 AM
What will George Grande think?

Chip R
03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
What will George Grande think?

George is just hoping Jim Edmonds gets arrested so he can give him a conjical visit. :evil:

CINCYREDS#1
03-22-2007, 10:36 AM
haha

CySeymour
03-22-2007, 10:43 AM
George is just hoping Jim Edmonds gets arrested so he can give him a conjical visit. :evil:

Ohhhh, I think I am going to be sick...

MrCinatit
03-22-2007, 10:52 AM

Suddenly, I have this very disturbed version of the "visit" scene from Midnight Express.

registerthis
03-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Actually a .093 blood level isn't that bad. It used to be that you needed a .10 level to be considered drunk.

Yeah, and cigarette companies used to tout their products as healthy.

So he was drunk *and* narcoleptic behind the wheel? Lovely.

westofyou
03-22-2007, 10:55 AM
He probably fell asleep because it was 4 AM.

And he probably should have never got in his car... because of those three beers.

jojo
03-22-2007, 10:55 AM
MLB should give him a firm and public punishment...this isn't like the bullpen coach from the Royals getting arrested.

I agree, the Cards should be forced to allow Pujols to play for the Reds for the entire 2007 season....

:cool:

I bet that would stop drinking and driving in a heartbeat.....

PuffyPig
03-22-2007, 10:59 AM

A .093 is probably about 3 beers for someone his size. He probably fell asleep because it was 4 AM.

If you are talking about that watered down American beer, you can drink about a beer an hour and still be pretty safe for awhile.

.093 is more likely 6-8 beers.:beerme:

And he didn't fall asleep. he was simply resting his eyes.....:rolleyes:

Ltlabner
03-22-2007, 11:05 AM
He wasn't drunk, he was just concentrating on writing his next book, what pitching changes he will make tomorow and generally being the brilliant man he is.

It takes a lot of energy to be that smart you know.

Redlegs23
03-22-2007, 11:07 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

westofyou
03-22-2007, 11:09 AM

Yep, I'm tired all the time.

cincy09
03-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Nice Mug Shot Anthony

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/5994/0322071larussa1yb5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

PuffyPig
03-22-2007, 11:30 AM

I know, I know....

VR
03-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Part of me wants to laugh and make fun of this pompous donkey...but this is serious...I'm glad no one was killed and I genuinely hope this isn't a sign of a larger problem in his life, but rather a very, very poor judgement on his part...

Doesn't he know his impaired judgement could have caused him to run over a squirrel or a cat?

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Can I get that pic as my Avatar?

M2
03-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Sounds like the problem was that he was out too late, not that he had too much to drink. A 0.93 reading won't get you arrested in much of the country.

At that hour he had just enough alcohol to make him sleepy. Yes, it's still dangerous and he should have used better judgment, but the real lesson here is don't drive exhausted.

membengal
03-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Either that or he slept off just enough to slip below .10

hebroncougar
03-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Sounds like the problem was that he was out too late, not that he had too much to drink. A 0.93 reading won't get you arrested in much of the country.

At that hour he had just enough alcohol to make him sleepy. Yes, it's still dangerous and he should have used better judgment, but the real lesson here is don't drive exhausted.

Sorry, but I'm going to disagree. This is a very, very poor example to young people, and players in this instance. You can't have a person in charge making stupid decisions like this one. I don't care if his BA was .07, he still should not have been driving.

REDREAD
03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
If you are talking about that watered down American beer, you can drink about a beer an hour and still be pretty safe for awhile.

.093 is more likely 6-8 beers.:beerme:

And he didn't fall asleep. he was simply resting his eyes.....:rolleyes:

It's largely dependent on your weight. According to the charts they had at Drivers Ed when I was a teen (which might be wrong), three beers would put me at .12 (at my teen wieght)

I'm not saying what he did was ok, I'm just saying he might not have been intoxicated to the point where he couldn't drive.

Maybe when you said 6-8 beers, you meant over a long time. I forget the rate in which your body "burns it off", but if he sat down and drank 6-8 beers within an hour, his blood alcohol level would be way higher than .10

RANDY IN INDY
03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
I've been hearing this sound clip on XM radio 175 from Larussa about how "the organization just doesn't put up with guys screwing up." This should be interesting.

Strikes Out Looking
03-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Either that or he slept off just enough to slip below .10

Exactly--if it was 4 am, he may not have drank anything for a few hours before being picked up. What a genius.

REDREAD
03-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Sorry, but I'm going to disagree. This is a very, very poor example to young people, and players in this instance. You can't have a person in charge making stupid decisions like this one. I don't care if his BA was .07, he still should not have been driving.

A petite woman can have one drink and be close to .07. I don't have the exact numbers, but if you only weigh about 110 or so, it doesn't take much at all.

I'm all for safety, but pushing down the blood alcohol limit lower isn't the answer. They initially came up with the .10 number because that was a level that they decided that all people become slightly impaired and have slowed reflexes.

Then the government decided to try to make itself look good by arbitrary lowering the number. It also helped increase their DWI convictions which are quite a good revenue source for them.

I'm against DUI, but it's silly to say that you need to wait an hour or two after 1-2 beers in order to drive.

REDREAD
03-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Exactly--if it was 4 am, he may not have drank anything for a few hours before being picked up. What a genius.

He was only asleep for two traffic light cycles. Not long enough to sleep anything off. If he didn't drink anything for a few hours before driving, that's a good thing.. not a bad thing.

Apparently he wasn't weaving in traffic or driving hazardously, because there were cops right there who noticed that he fell asleep. If he had not been in control of his car, wouldn't he have been pulled over eariler?

Matt700wlw
03-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Mike & Mike on ESPN have been talking about it. Apparently found asleep at the wheel, at a red light, with his foot on the brake. If this is true, he is very lucky no one, including himself, was killed or hurt very badly.

Sounds like a former UC coach (not Huggs)

WMR
03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Unassisted
03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Considering his deep admiration for LaRussa, do you suppose Marty will mention this during today's game? :evil:

Chip R
03-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Considering his deep admiration for LaRussa, do you suppose Marty will mention this during today's game? :evil:

He'll probably talk about nothing else.

Always Red
03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
I thought Tony never took his shades off, not even for night games??

hebroncougar
03-22-2007, 12:50 PM
A petite woman can have one drink and be close to .07. I don't have the exact numbers, but if you only weigh about 110 or so, it doesn't take much at all.

I'm all for safety, but pushing down the blood alcohol limit lower isn't the answer. They initially came up with the .10 number because that was a level that they decided that all people become slightly impaired and have slowed reflexes.

Then the government decided to try to make itself look good by arbitrary lowering the number. It also helped increase their DWI convictions which are quite a good revenue source for them.

I'm against DUI, but it's silly to say that you need to wait an hour or two after 1-2 beers in order to drive.

It's against the law. And everyone knows it. My advice would be if you weigh 110, don't have a drink and drive. I'm not exactly sure why lowering the BAC isn't an answer. It makes responsible people think more about what they are doing. The irresponsible people would still get into trouble if the BAC was .15. I just read on the stltoday website from one of their sportswriters that is was nothing more than Larussa out with some baseball buddies, drinking red wine. I wonder if people would still have the same opinion had he hit a car with a family of five in it. Obviously the guy was impaired. He was sleeping at the wheel. Normal tired people don't suddenly fall asleep at stoplights.

klw
03-22-2007, 12:53 PM
First the tattoo, now the crime. tony's living tha thug life.

dabvu2498
03-22-2007, 12:57 PM

Actually, all 50 states now have a .08 legal limit per se: http://www.alcoholcontrols.com/lebaclibyst.html

Also, here's a BAC calculator: http://www.expertlaw.com/library/drunk_driving/BAC_Calculator.html

TeamCasey
03-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Normal tired people don't suddenly fall asleep at stoplights.

I once dozed off in the middle of the day and went in a ditch.

No alcohol ..... just a long boring drive looking at cornfield after cornfield.

Matt700wlw
03-22-2007, 01:10 PM
First the tattoo, now the crime. tony's living tha thug life.

He's been hangin' with Tim Hummel

flyer85
03-22-2007, 01:14 PM
And he probably should have never got in his car... because of those three beers.maybe they wouldn't let him spend the night at the strip joint?

REDREAD
03-22-2007, 01:17 PM
It's against the law. And everyone knows it. My advice would be if you weigh 110, don't have a drink and drive.

I know this is an emotional issue, but we just have a difference in opinion.
I think at least some 110 lb women can drive just fine after having one beer.

Bottom line is that the government can lower the blood limit down to 0.000000001 and it's not going to make the streets any safer, because responsible people will not drive when they are impaired. Irresponsible people will and not respect the law.

If you were to hypothetically lower the limit down to .07 as you suggest, you start giving tickets to DUI to people who were not impaired. Plus, lower blood alcohol levels just give the government another way to abuse power. For example, they could set up a road block after a Reds game and give a DUI to anyone who's had beer, regardless of whether they are actually impaired or not.

I'm not exactly sure why lowering the BAC isn't an answer. It makes responsible people think more about what they are doing. .

Again, I disagree. Responsible people do the right thing because they don't want to put themselves or others' lives in danger. They have good judgement about whether they can drive or not. They don't need the fear of getting a ticket to motive them to have positive behavior.

On the other hand, irresponsible people aren't going to be motivated no matter what the limit is.

BRM
03-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Also, here's a BAC calculator: http://www.expertlaw.com/library/drunk_driving/BAC_Calculator.html

Wow! I can drink 10 beers over a 4 hour period and only be .06!!

Matt700wlw
03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Wow! I can drink 10 beers over a 4 hour period and only be .06!!

Sweet!

I'd have to stretch that over 6 hours :(

BRM
03-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Sweet!

I'd have to stretch that over 6 hours :(

I still wouldn't get behind the wheel of a car though. No way, no how.

hebroncougar
03-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I know this is an emotional issue, but we just have a difference in opinion.
I think at least some 110 lb women can drive just fine after having one beer.

Bottom line is that the government can lower the blood limit down to 0.000000001 and it's not going to make the streets any safer, because responsible people will not drive when they are impaired. Irresponsible people will and not respect the law.

If you were to hypothetically lower the limit down to .07 as you suggest, you start giving tickets to DUI to people who were not impaired. Plus, lower blood alcohol levels just give the government another way to abuse power. For example, they could set up a road block after a Reds game and give a DUI to anyone who's had beer, regardless of whether they are actually impaired or not.

Again, I disagree. Responsible people do the right thing because they don't want to put themselves or others' lives in danger. They have good judgement about whether they can drive or not. They don't need the fear of getting a ticket to motive them to have positive behavior.

On the other hand, irresponsible people aren't going to be motivated no matter what the limit is.

Difference of opinion, agreed. It just boggles my mind how someone with the money and "smarts" can do something that is so darn stupid.

TeamSelig
03-22-2007, 01:28 PM
If you're that tired, don't be driving. Stop and get a coffee or something. Someone deprived of sleep gives off similar effects of drinking and driving, so it is just as dangerous and cannot be used as an "excuse"

M2,

It is hard to arrest someone with a .92 when they are DEAD. I think .40 and up and you're more than likely in a coma or dead. I'm just being a smart aleck though, I'm sure you meant .092.

And I'm not sure where you are getting your information that a .092 won't get you arrested in the US. Prima facie is .08, so if someone blows a .08 or higher they are arrested. I'm not sure if this is a law or just a policy, but if i'm not mistaken, officers don't have a choice of arresting them if their BAC is .08 or above.

Also, .08 could be & probably was way more than 3 beers. Unless if those 3 beers were some really big beers lol. Alcohol is metabolized from the body at a constant rate of .015 g/%/hr. This means at about midnight his BAC was approx. .015!

I'm actually surprised people are on here defending him.

PuffyPig
03-22-2007, 01:31 PM
It's largely dependent on your weight. According to the charts they had at Drivers Ed when I was a teen (which might be wrong), three beers would put me at .12 (at my teen wieght)

I'm not saying what he did was ok, I'm just saying he might not have been intoxicated to the point where he couldn't drive.

Maybe when you said 6-8 beers, you meant over a long time. I forget the rate in which your body "burns it off", but if he sat down and drank 6-8 beers within an hour, his blood alcohol level would be way higher than .10

I was talking about 6-8 over an extended period of time. Over on the St. Louis board, they say that you would have to drink 4 drinks in an hour on an empty stomach to reach .08.

Was he intoxicated to the point he couldn't drive? The law says so, but Tony obviously didn't agree. People who are drinking rarely do agree, though.

TeamSelig
03-22-2007, 01:32 PM

Sorry, but the officer has to prove impairment. It's not just about blowing a 'number' and getting in trouble for it.

You can get a DUI and only blow a .05. The reason for this is because some people can be sloppy drunk at only a .05. It's not about numbers and abusing power.

Doc. Scott
03-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Nice Mug Shot Anthony

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/5994/0322071larussa1yb5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Hey, he woke up!

Seriously... I wonder if the arresting cop backed off of the investigation so a series of five other cops could all fill out one blank on the police report over a three-hour period.

Redlegs23
03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Sounds like a former UC coach (not Huggs)

He had narcalepsy ;)

PuffyPig
03-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Actually, all 50 states now have a .08 legal limit per se: http://www.alcoholcontrols.com/lebaclibyst.html

Based on the calculator, Larussa would have had a little more than 6 glasses on wine over 4 hours to hit the .093 mark.

TeamSelig
03-22-2007, 01:39 PM
The calculator assumes everything is averaged out. 3 drinks in 3 hours, they calculate one drink per hour, so unless if the drinks were perfectly spaced out I don't see how it can be accurate.

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 01:43 PM
I once dozed off in the middle of the day and went in a ditch.

No alcohol ..... just a long boring drive looking at cornfield after cornfield.

Yeah...who said you were "normal"? :laugh: I miss you BTW.:devil:

REDREAD
03-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Also, .08 could be & probably was way more than 3 beers. Unless if those 3 beers were some really big beers lol. Alcohol is metabolized from the body at a constant rate of .015 g/%/hr. This means at about midnight his BAC was approx. .015!

I'm actually surprised people are on here defending him.

But you are assuming that he drank all his alochol at midnight. (If I understand correctly). That's not necessarily true.

I'm not really defending him, I'm just giving him the same leeway that most people gave Freel. If LaRussa was managing the Reds, I bet people would be a lot more understanding.

REDREAD
03-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Sorry, but the officer has to prove impairment. It's not just about blowing a 'number' and getting in trouble for it.

You can get a DUI and only blow a .05. The reason for this is because some people can be sloppy drunk at only a .05. It's not about numbers and abusing power.

And conversely, you can have a .08 and still be able to drive safely.
It depends on the person.

Wasn't it stated on this thread that a .08 was an automatic arrest/ticket or whatever? That's what my point is. If they decided at one point that .10 was the threshhold that you were definitely impaired, and that was the fair automatic arrest number, why lower it to .08 when the officer still has the ability to arrest anyone for DUI regardless of their blood level?

It's all about appeasing groups like MADD, etc who are going overboard.

REDREAD
03-22-2007, 03:30 PM
The calculator assumes everything is averaged out. 3 drinks in 3 hours, they calculate one drink per hour, so unless if the drinks were perfectly spaced out I don't see how it can be accurate.

Actually I question the calculator as well. It seems to be giving low readings for the sample numbers I put in.

dabvu2498
03-22-2007, 03:33 PM
nm

M2
03-22-2007, 04:21 PM

Do kids these days use baseball managers as role models? They sure didn't when I was young.

If his BA was .07 then I've got no problem with him driving.

I'll say it again, it's always stupid to get behind the wheel when you're ready to fall asleep, but given the information we have, I'm not going to get indignant over him being a drunken driver ... because at 0.93 he wasn't one (at least in my book).

M2
03-22-2007, 04:24 PM

Golly, tells you how much I drink and drive.

Must have changed at some point in past decade or so. Used to volunteer for paid tests back in college (late '80s) where government-sponsored researchers would get you loaded for free on top shelf booze and then see if you could estimate how drunk you were. Good times.

Chip R
03-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Do kids these days use baseball managers as role models? They sure didn't when I was young.

Joe Schultz was my role model.

TeamSelig
03-22-2007, 05:12 PM
M2 - Not sure how you can determine that he wasn't drunk by a reading of .093. What exactly is your 'number' for somene being drunk?

Personally I don't have a number. Whenever someone has consumed enough where it results in any type of impairment is good enough for me. Falling asleep at the wheel along with a .093 = drunk (impairment).

Just curious, Redread, but have you ever been arrested for a DUI/OWI/etc.?

REDREAD
03-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Just curious, Redread, but have you ever been arrested for a DUI/OWI/etc.?

Nope, but I have a relative who was. He cleaned up his act.

A couple years later, some cop ran his plate and saw he was a past DUI offender. My relative had a couple gas cans in his car. The cop claimed he was "weaving over the center line" and "getting high off gas fumes" and gave him another DUI ticket. My relative ended up getting it dismissed only after a great expense. That's one example of cops abusing the DUI laws to harass people. There are other stories I could tell you as well.

M2 and I are referring to back in the 80's when they somehow decided that 0.10 was the threshhold to reasonable assume that the driver was at least partially impaired. Then MADD got all involved and continually pressures the lawmakers to lower the limit, supposedly all in the name of "safety". Personally, I don't think anyone should be allowed to get convicted on a level of .04 or .05. It's too much of a judgement call. The judge is going to be predisposed to believe the cop over the driver. The cop is going to be tempted to exaggerate, because he gets a gold star for every DUI he writes. It's just too open for government abuse and corruption. Just like how some small towns off the interstate make the speed limit for the road off the exit 25 MPH but post no signs.. and then they have cops waiting to give out of state people tickets.

I'm all for preventing people that are actually drunk from driving. But those aren't the people being targeted. Targeting people that have had 1-3 beers or pulling over past offenders and making false charges is not cool at all.

Yachtzee
03-22-2007, 06:27 PM

Impaired is impaired. Whether he was drunk or too sleepy, he shouldn't have been behind the wheel.

REDREAD
03-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Impaired is impaired. Whether he was drunk or too sleepy, he shouldn't have been behind the wheel.

I agree with that, but society is much more forgiving of someone falling asleep at the wheel or getting into a wreck due to a cell phone distraction vs. DUI.

TheWalls
03-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Just saw his "apology" on ESPN. What a weasel! I haven't seen that sincere an apology since OJ! Grrr.....

Yachtzee
03-23-2007, 01:16 AM
I agree with that, but society is much more forgiving of someone falling asleep at the wheel or getting into a wreck due to a cell phone distraction vs. DUI.

This is true. They don't have a Mothers Against Sleepy Drivers. However, as a matter of course, people need to know themselves and know when they are in no condition to drive. In many states, including Ohio, you can be charged with Operating a Vehicle while Impaired regardless of whether you had a prohibited Blood Alcohol Content if the officer has probably cause to believe you are in some way impaired while driving.

gonelong
03-23-2007, 01:20 AM
I have always thought you ought to be able to take your drivers test with as much booze in your system as you wanted. Either you pass or you don't. Once you are done with the test you take a breath-a-lizer. If you have a .09 BAC then that is now your limit you are allowed to drive at.

I know I'd feel safer driving my car home with a .10 BAC than riding with at least a dozen people I know even if they were completely sober.

GL

/only sort of kidding.

remdog
03-23-2007, 01:33 AM
^^^^^

:laugh:

I actually like that idea (in a sort of narcisstic kinda' way).

Rem

TeamSelig
03-23-2007, 01:43 AM

Smartest thing i've read on this thread.

Redread,

The criminal record isn't viewed until after being pulled over and the licenses are taken. Why would they run a criminal check on a guy that might not even be driving the vehicle?

Maybe you would have a different opinion if you were ever effected by an idiotic drunk driver. My wifes brother was killed, and her step mom & sister were almost killed as well. http://www.tylercranfill.com

How hard is it to just not drive after drinking? ESPECIALLY a celebrity/millionaire who could easily pay for a cab or whatever. .093 plus being sleepy makes up for a very dangerous driver.

Ltlabner
03-23-2007, 07:26 AM
It's just too open for government abuse and corruption.

Abuse maybe. Corruption? What, are the booze companies paying off judges not to write tickets? Or MADD paying off cops to write tickets?

Just like how some small towns off the interstate make the speed limit for the road off the exit 25 MPH but post no signs.. and then they have cops waiting to give out of state people tickets.

What, do you live in Hazzard with Roscoe P. Coltrane lurking behind the billboards? I travel 3 states, every week, all over the place and have never seen this happen. Speed traps in small towns yes. Speed traps on the off ramps from highways? No.

jojo
03-23-2007, 07:53 AM

Sure but there's no way in hell he's my leadoff man.... and he'd better have a REALLY good glove....

:beerme:

TheWalls
03-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Has anybody else seen the new LaRussa jersey with the number .093 on it?! Absolutely hilarious!

hebroncougar
03-23-2007, 11:52 AM

I'll say it again, it's always stupid to get behind the wheel when you're ready to fall asleep, but given the information we have, I'm not going to get indignant over him being a drunken driver ... because at 0.93 he wasn't one (at least in my book).

Sorry, but when you are the manager of the defending world champs, spokesman for one of baseball's original franchise's, have books written about you (with you cooperation), and make millions of dollars, then yes you are a role model. Your job comes with responsibility. Arguments like these always crack me up. I teach high school, and have coached baseball at the varsity baseball for 8 years. Do you know what happens to me if I am in Larussa's position??? I am fired the next day, no questions asked. They don't care if my BAC is .0799999, or .0811111 Because I have to be a responsible adult. I accept that, it comes with the territory. And people like Larussa should accept the fact that they are indeed role models because of the postion they are in.

scounts22
03-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Sorry, but when you are the manager of the defending world champs, spokesman for one of baseball's original franchise's, have books written about you (with you cooperation), and make millions of dollars, then yes you are a role model. Your job comes with responsibility. Arguments like these always crack me up. I teach high school, and have coached baseball at the varsity baseball for 8 years. Do you know what happens to me if I am in Larussa's position??? I am fired the next day, no questions asked. They don't care if my BAC is .0799999, or .0811111 Because I have to be a responsible adult. I accept that, it comes with the territory. And people like Larussa should accept the fact that they are indeed role models because of the postion they are in.

:clap: I totally agree.

REDREAD
03-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Smartest thing i've read on this thread.

Redread,

The criminal record isn't viewed until after being pulled over and the licenses are taken. Why would they run a criminal check on a guy that might not even be driving the vehicle?

His plate was ran before he was pulled over. The officer accused him of having "another DUI" before he even asked for the licenses. Obviously, this cop was probably not following protocol.

That's part of the reason I am against cops making their own judgement on being impaired. There's too much temptation to abuse it. Too much tempation when a driver only blows a .05 to exaggerate the sobriety test, etc.

Maybe you would have a different opinion if you were ever effected by an idiotic drunk driver. My wifes brother was killed, and her step mom & sister were almost killed as well. http://www.tylercranfill.com

I never said drunk driving was ok. I'm against lowering the limit from .10
I'm against convictions based on an alcohol level below the limit.
I am also against people driving when they are too tired or too angry.
Obviously, you aren't for giving out DUIs to innocent people, are you?

[QUOTE=TeamSelig;1271278]
How hard is it to just not drive after drinking? ESPECIALLY a celebrity/millionaire who could easily pay for a cab or whatever. .093 plus being sleepy makes up for a very dangerous driver.

I'm not saying that LaRussa was ok to do what he did. I'm just saying that IMO .09 is not drunk. It's obvious he was too sleepy. I don't think he should get a DUI for this.

I think that in the name of "safety", lawmakers have made it too easy to give out DUI tickets, and people that aren't dangerous are being targeted.

I would even argue further that society's method of preventing drunk driving is not as effective as it could be. As with many things.
For example, wouldn't it be more effective to have public service messages about how effective selt belts are than to keep saying "Click it or ticket" on the radio thousands of times? Why not use education instead of threats to get people to do what is best for themselves and society. Why not try to get DUI drivers into counseling/rehab programs instead of just slapping huge fines on them and waiting for them to slip again to give out another ticket.

TeamSelig
03-23-2007, 03:57 PM
"Corrupt cops" = a lame, hippie excuse to break the law.

You're obviously not an expert on drinking and driving... you can be drunk at .05, weither you decide to believe it or not. Officers aren't going to arrest someone where they can't get a conviction, and you can't get a conviction if you cannot prove they impairment.

There are corrupt cops, I'll agree to that. Very small percentage, and they don't represent officers as a whole. You will be hard pressed to find officers who "exaggerate" sobriety tests. It simply wouldn't hold up in court.

TONY LARUSSA WAS IMPAIRED. A sleepy defense isn't going to cut it.

There is no arguing facts.

Ltlabner
03-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm not saying that LaRussa was ok to do what he did. I'm just saying that IMO .09 is not drunk. It's obvious he was too sleepy. I don't think he should get a DUI for this..

But isn't that the problem? Person A might be able to drive perfectley fine with .09 BAC while Person B might be a slobbering, weaving, drunken mess at that BAC. So I don't think your blanket statement of .09 BAC is not drunk has has any validity. Especially when you mix in factors like how quickly the drinks were consumed, how much food he had eaten, time from last drink to getting in the car, etc. I'm prefectlly fine leaving the on sceen judgement of whether LaRussa was drunk or not to the officers involved.

That's why having one standard limit for impared versus not-impared makes no sense. Whether it's .10, .0457 or .08. IMO if you drive home impared, and nothing happens, why have you committed a crime? However, if you drive home impared, and you kill someone because you were drinking and driving, you ought to have a long jail sentence, heavy fines and basically get a legal sledgehammer to the side of the head. There'd be a graduating scale of punishment if you only injure someone, but the punishement would be seveare and draconian. There certinally wouldn't be 6 time DUI offenders driving around in Ltlabnerland.

REDREAD
03-23-2007, 06:31 PM
You're obviously not an expert on drinking and driving... you can be drunk at .05, weither you decide to believe it or not. Officers aren't going to arrest someone where they can't get a conviction, and you can't get a conviction if you cannot prove they impairment.

And some cop isn't an expert on drinking or driving either. That's why there needs to be a law with a clear threshhold. It can't just be the cop's judgement.

Officers arrest people frequently and then fail to get a conviction. That's partially why we have the courts, so that the cops aren't the last word on whether someone is innocent or guilty.

No offense, but it's naive to think that all cops use good judgement all the time, partially when they are pressured to give out a quota of DUIs. It's a conflict of interest.

REDREAD
03-23-2007, 06:37 PM
But isn't that the problem? Person A might be able to drive perfectley fine with .09 BAC while Person B might be a slobbering, weaving, drunken mess at that BAC. So I don't think your blanket statement of .09 BAC is not drunk has has any validity.

I agree with the conclusion they came up in the 80's before MADD made it fashionable for the government to come up with as many DUI arrests as possible.

.10 is the level where everyone is at least slightly impaired. You give people the benefit of the doubt.

In LaRussa's case, if it were up to me (and I know it's not), I'm sure he could be given some other citation instead of DUI. I'm not saying he did no wrong. He did exercise poor judgement. He's getting a DUI thanks to MADD lobbying lawmakers, not because he deserves one.

From what we know, he was in full control of his car until he got to the light and decided to take a little nap. I'm sure if he was swerving all over the place, the witness interviewed would've mentioned it.

cincinnati chili
03-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Has anybody else seen the new LaRussa jersey with the number .093 on it?! Absolutely hilarious!Dude needs some photoshop training. But funny idea.