PDA

View Full Version : Rangers interested in Deno?

klw
03-22-2007, 12:23 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6595514 the info is about halfway down.

BRM
03-22-2007, 12:28 PM
The Rangers, continuing their pursuit of a right-handed hitter who could spell Kenny Lofton in center field, are targeting the Reds' Chris Denorfia and Giants' Jason Ellison, among others.

The Reds might prefer to keep Denorfia, who at the moment is one of their few healthy outfielders; Ryan Freel, Norris Hopper, Josh Hamilton and Ken Griffey Jr. all are less than 100 percent.

Ellison, like Denorfia, plays all three outfield positions, and the Giants would benefit from his speed and defense. However, Ellison is out of minor-league options, and the Giants might prefer to keep veteran Mark Sweeney for their final roster spot.

No mention of what Texas would offer.

Mario-Rijo
03-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Deno and Cormier for Otsuka and a minor league OF? I can dream!

:confused:

klw
03-22-2007, 12:58 PM
oops sorry I missed this thread on Reds Live
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55689

KronoRed
03-22-2007, 01:06 PM
If they want him as a backup I wouldn't think they would offer much

jojo
03-22-2007, 06:09 PM

Oh stop it.....

RBA
03-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Sold!

Will M
03-23-2007, 12:24 AM
I can't see the Reds trading Deno with Griffey hurt ( again ).
What happens when Freel goes down or if Hamilton struggles?
Conine in RF? Hopper? :thumbdown

I think Deno is a good 4th OF who will get his ABs in 2007.

Barbarossa
03-23-2007, 01:04 AM
Saw this gem on another board.

"According to Fox Sports the Texas Rangers are showing interest in Chris Denorfia. They say that the Rangers would likely have to part with a quality reliver in order to land him, perhaps Scott Feldman."

I must've missed that part where Fox Sports said the Rangers would likely have to part with a quality reliver. Anyone know anything about Scott Feldman?:confused:

Jaycint
03-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Saw this gem on another board.

"According to Fox Sports the Texas Rangers are showing interest in Chris Denorfia. They say that the Rangers would likely have to part with a quality reliver in order to land him, perhaps Scott Feldman."

I must've missed that part where Fox Sports said the Rangers would likely have to part with a quality reliver. Anyone know anything about Scott Feldman?:confused:

He appeared in 36 games last year for Texas. Only 24 years old. Never had a WHIP over 1.26 at any stop. Average but not great k/9. Certainly better than some of the geriatric crew we'll be running out there this year.

Probably not enough to get in return for Denorfia though. I'd want at least one more good prospect along with him to feel right about making this particular deal.

EDIT: If it had the side effect of bumping Cormier off the roster I'd be fine with it being a straight up 1 for 1 trade.

Wheelhouse
03-24-2007, 01:25 AM
He appeared in 36 games last year for Texas. Only 24 years old. Never had a WHIP over 1.26 at any stop. Average but not great k/9. Certainly better than some of the geriatric crew we'll be running out there this year.

Probably not enough to get in return for Denorfia though. I'd want at least one more good prospect along with him to feel right about making this particular deal.

EDIT: If it had the side effect of bumping Cormier off the roster I'd be fine with it being a straight up 1 for 1 trade.

???? With the premium good relievers are at? If the Reds can get a ML ready 24 year old reliever that has performed well, pull the trigger. They have Griffey, Freel, Hamilton, and Hopper who can all play CF. The only bummer is that it makes Encarnacion the only RH bat with any power on the team. But still, another RH bat can be found.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-24-2007, 01:28 AM

I'd just take Otsuka:eek:

Jaycint
03-25-2007, 10:21 AM
???? With the premium good relievers are at? If the Reds can get a ML ready 24 year old reliever that has performed well, pull the trigger. They have Griffey, Freel, Hamilton, and Hopper who can all play CF. The only bummer is that it makes Encarnacion the only RH bat with any power on the team. But still, another RH bat can be found.

Oh I'm with you, our bullpen needs to get younger and better and Feldman would do that. I just don't think we trade Denorfia away lightly without trying to squeeze as much value in return as we can. The guy can go get it out in center (which would be quite valuable in the Bandbox at Arlington) not to mention the increased offensive production he might see there as opposed to the places he has played previously in the minors.

Since apparently the interest is coming from Texas' end I say we play hardball for once as an organization and see if we can attach another name to the deal heading this direction. Feldman would be the centerpiece but get another arm along with him...

alexad
03-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Trade him while he has some value. It is obvious the next outfielder to have a shot from the minors is Dickerson. He was on the Caravan tour this winter, so I would think he is what the Reds are investing into.

Deno has some value, you have to trade him. I really do not see him as the next starting outfielder for this team.

jmcclain19
03-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Gammons confirmed today that the Reds area shopping Denorfia around

• The Reds have talked to several teams about one of the better extra outfielders around, Chris Denorfia.

reds44
03-25-2007, 09:13 PM
I have a hard time believing the Marlins wouldn't give up a young, decent arm for Denorfia.

Patrick Bateman
03-25-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm getting a little worried that Deno is going to be traded for a very underwheling return.

It seems that the Reds don't believe in his abilities as much as we (the Deno supporters) do.

jnwohio
03-25-2007, 09:49 PM
I find it hard to believe they would be moving Denorfia for a major league ready arm when the talk is they are determined to hold onto (Rule 5 pick) Jared Burton; and, therefore are going to do whatever it takes to keep him on the 25 man roster. So where are they going to put yet another guy?

Thom B. and Brantley were even alluding today that somebody "who really made the team" could end up starting the year at AAA to help make room for Burton out of the chute. They did not come staight out and name names but in the next sentence or two they managed to get said that both Livingston and Belisle "were optionable". So I guess that would mean Saarloos in the 5th rotation spot early on when it is sporadic then hopefully something else would break loose a spot when the 5th man was needed regularly.

edabbs44
03-25-2007, 09:57 PM
If they deal Deno for another reliever, he better be a stud. This team is going to be made up primarily of middle-aged middle relievers pretty soon.

Please Wayne, if you must deal him, get a starter.

ramp101
03-25-2007, 10:40 PM
maybe the Marlins will throw their hat into the ring

redsmetz
03-25-2007, 10:45 PM
I find it hard to believe they would be moving Denorfia for a major league ready arm when the talk is they are determined to hold onto (Rule 5 pick) Jared Burton; and, therefore are going to do whatever it takes to keep him on the 25 man roster. So where are they going to put yet another guy?

Thom B. and Brantley were even alluding today that somebody "who really made the team" could end up starting the year at AAA to help make room for Burton out of the chute. They did not come staight out and name names but in the next sentence or two they managed to get said that both Livingston and Belisle "were optionable". So I guess that would mean Saarloos in the 5th rotation spot early on when it is sporadic then hopefully something else would break loose a spot when the 5th man was needed regularly.

I would be surprised if any trade made added to the current ML roster. They're needing to shed some contracts and I think any trade will be for minor league players to help bolster the thin corps in our minor league system.

MartyFan
03-26-2007, 03:39 AM
I'm getting a little worried that Deno is going to be traded for a very underwheling return.

It seems that the Reds don't believe in his abilities as much as we (the Deno supporters) do.

Probably with pretty good reason.

If the Reds trade Deno for a BP arm I think it also means there may be another set of transactions on the way to help bring more depth to the team...and yes, I mean moving some from the Geriatric Crew.

Special K is going to make deals that take the team two steps forward one step back to get in a position where it has REAL OPTIONS.

KronoRed
03-26-2007, 01:54 PM
maybe the Marlins will throw their hat into the ring

Better be a fitted hat, we're not taking any of those meshy one size fits all things.