PDA

View Full Version : Surprised no one has mentioned this...

coachw513
03-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Was starting to do a thread recapping WK's interview with the TV boys, but when I heard Narron's interview that went to the top of my to-do list (I just got out of a meeting, so I re-read the game thread to see if it had been mentioned)

(When asked about Homer Bailey) Narron: We were eager to see him pitch...He didn't make adjustments the way we'd like...he didn't throw enough offspeed stuff, just settled on throwing fastballs...

Then the kicker:

Don't know if he'll start the year in AA or AAA :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I nearly fell out of my seat...Narron was as critical of Bailey as I've heard him on anyone this spring and really didn't say 1 good thing about him...I was astonished...

Did anyone else get the same impression I did?? :confused:

ochoa30
03-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Not really, he did say he will be a very good pitcher one day.

dougdirt
03-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Was starting to do a thread recapping WK's interview with the TV boys, but when I heard Narron's interview that went to the top of my to-do list (I just got out of a meeting, so I re-read the game thread to see if it had been mentioned)

Then the kicker:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I nearly fell out of my seat...Narron was as critical of Bailey as I've heard him on anyone this spring and really didn't say 1 good thing about him...I was astonished...

Just you. Narron doesn't know where he will start because thats not a part of his job. Bailey will start in AAA....no reason to send him to Chattanooga. He was however right with what he said about Bailey. When he got in trouble, he just kept firing fastballs. In turn, he kept getting hit and got in more trouble. Homer Bailey has all the stuff he needs, he just needs to learn how to utilize it to his advantage.

jojo
03-22-2007, 05:30 PM

Then the kicker:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think people really make way too much out of the AA or AAA thing. AAA doesn't mean nearly the same thing it used to for legitimate prospects....it's becoming more and more simply just a holding tank.

redsmetz
03-22-2007, 05:53 PM
I think people really make way too much out of the AA or AAA thing. AAA doesn't mean nearly the same thing it used to for legitimate prospects....it's becoming more and more simply just a holding tank.

Certainly that has been true overall for the last 10-12 years, but I think WK would like to see that AAA is a legitimate spot for further development.

That said, it wouldn't shock me to see Bailey start the season at AA, much like he started at Sarasota last year, albeit very briefly. I don't see that as a huge step backwards. It's just getting back to his success before moving up. And even starting him in Chattanooga and moving to Louisville doesn't preclude him from still coming up to Cincy later in the year, IMO.

rotnoid
03-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Just you. Narron doesn't know where he will start because thats not a part of his job. Bailey will start in AAA....no reason to send him to Chattanooga. He was however right with what he said about Bailey. When he got in trouble, he just kept firing fastballs. In turn, he kept getting hit and got in more trouble. Homer Bailey has all the stuff he needs, he just needs to learn how to utilize it to his advantage.

I wonder how much of that should be put on the catcher. As much as it's a pitcher's fault for not throwing the right pitch, or throwing it right at all, the catcher's job is to manage the pitcher and call the game. A good catcher can take a walk to the mound and calm the kid down. Get him in a groove and tell him to lay off the gas every once in awhile. I don't get the impression that Homer's a prima donna that won't listen, so it's interesting that we're not hearing much from the catching corps.

reds44
03-22-2007, 08:43 PM
He's not using his breaking ball enough. That's been his problem at all levels. He HAS to work on that.

danwl
03-22-2007, 08:52 PM
what is this, a pop quiz? what's he doing calling his own pitches? didn't he watch Bull Durham? totally not his job, is it?

sounds to me like Narron is trying to shield either Homer or his ego from getting shelled.

and, wait, our best pitching prospect is still named HOMER? not a good sign

Eric_Davis
03-22-2007, 08:55 PM
There's other reasons one could start him at AA. There may be 5 pitchers at AAA who need the work that you don't want to send to AA, who would actually look at it as a demotion.

There's different coaches at AA that might be better for him.

As was mentioned, there's less pressure at AA, and he could get more confidence there to work on his other pitches, and he might be more willing to throw his off-speed stuff there than facing a slough of former Major Leaguers at the AAA level.

Also, when the REDS have called up a couple of starters to the Major League level, that will leave a natural step up for him to go to the AAA level, if he's ready, having proved that he's willing to throw his other pitches consistently at the AA level. There's no reason he needs to pitch in the bigs before September....no reason whatsoever, so it really doesn't matter how much of that time is spent at AA and how much at AAA. Or, actually, for reasons given, it does.

Highlifeman21
03-22-2007, 10:29 PM
He's not using his breaking ball enough. That's been his problem at all levels. He HAS to work on that.

The kid is in love with his fastball, and thinks he can use it to get out of trouble.

I'd almost like to see Homer Bailey and Bronson Arroyo start hanging out more, so Bailey can learn to throw any pitch in his arsenal at anytime, during any count.

I'm hoping Soto can really develop some offspeed with Bailey, b/c right now Bailey is a 1.5 trick pony with a great fastball, and a great curveball (when he can command it). So far, the curve isn't something Bailey can command.

Sending Bailey to AA might be an ego check, but I can't imagine he'd spend much time there at all.

reds44
03-22-2007, 10:31 PM
He needs to start where he can work on his breaking ball. The fact he put up better numbers in AA then A makes me concerned he was actually working on his breaking ball in A, and when he got to AA he went to his heater and the competition couldn't catch up to it.