PDA

View Full Version : I've got a question (health related)

OnBaseMachine
03-23-2007, 09:45 PM
and hopefully someone has an answer.

Long story short. My job involves a bunch of walking, most of the time I am away from the vehicle and unable to get anything to drink. Well, on Tuesday it was about 75 degrees here and I went about four or five hours without drinking anything. When I finally arrived back at the truck, I was thirsty as heck as you would imagine, so I downed about two or three small bottles of Mountain Dew within about 10 minutes. Ever since then I have gagged and eventually vomited after pretty much every meal and drink I have consumed since Tuesday. I don't know if my recent problems are connected to this or what. I don't feel sick like the flu or virus or anything like that. I really don't have a clue what is wrong. Anyone out there have an idea? Possible dehyration or something along those lines?

Reds Fanatic
03-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Hard to say for sure but if you are vomiting that much it could be a sign of dehyrdation. If you have been sick that long I would recommend going to the emergency room.

creek14
03-24-2007, 06:02 AM
I was going to say I thought you should try drinking really small amounts of water, but then I decided to look up dehydration. Here's some information (including drinking small amounts of fluid).

Treatment

Drinking fluids is usually sufficient for mild dehydration. It is better to have frequent, small amounts of fluid (using a teaspoon or syringe for an infant or child) rather than trying to force large amounts of fluid at one time. Drinking too much fluid at once can bring on more vomiting.

Electrolyte solutions or freezer pops are especially effective. These are available at pharmacies. Sport drinks contain a lot of sugar and can cause or worsen diarrhea. In infants and children, avoid using water as the primary replacement fluid.

Intravenous fluids and hospitalization may be necessary for moderate to severe dehydration. The doctor will try to identify and then treat the cause of the dehydration.

Most cases of stomach viruses (also called viral gastroenteritis) tend to resolve on their own after a few days. See diarrhea.

Expectations (prognosis) Return to top

When dehydration is recognized and treated promptly, the outcome is generally good.

Complications

Untreated severe dehydration may result in seizures, permanent brain damage, or death.

Calling your health care provider

Call 911 if you or your child have the following symptoms

Dizziness
Lightheadedness
Lethargy
Confusion
Call your doctor right away if you or your child has any of the following symptoms:

Not producing tears
Sunken eyes
Little or no urine output for 8 hours
Dry skin that sags back into position slowly when pinched up into a fold
Dry mouth or dry eyes
Sunken soft-spot on the top of your infant's head
Fast-beating heart
Blood in the stool or vomit
Diarrhea or vomiting (in infants less than 2 months old)
Listlessness and inactiveness
Also call your doctor if you are not sure whether your attempts to give your child proper fluids are working.

Also call your doctor if:
An illness is combined with the inability to keep down any fluids
Vomiting has been going on for longer than 24 hours in an adult or longer than 12 hours in a child
Diarrhea has lasted longer than 5 days in an adult or child
Your infant or child is much less active than usual or is irritable
You or your child have excessive urination, especially if there is a family history of diabetes or you are taking diuretics

GAC
03-24-2007, 08:36 AM
I agree with creek. If you are dehydrated, the last thing you should be drinking is sugar..... especially Montain Dew.

OnBaseMachine
03-25-2007, 10:32 AM
I feel a little better today, though I have absolutely no strength in my legs.

Thanks for help.

creek14
03-25-2007, 10:34 AM
I bet you are low on potassium. Eat a banana. Or two.

westofyou
03-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Water is your friend, always have access to it. Just make a habit of having some in your car and if you do a lot of walking and can't get back to your car then go Camelback.

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000FD8M8Y.01-A3H9V1EMGQSHX7._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55153970_.jpg

Falls City Beer
03-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Caffeinated drinks (Dew) are diuretics. Drink water, slowly and steadily the whole day through. Keep the caffeinated stuff to a minimum till you're feeling better.

OnBaseMachine
03-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks again guys (and gals).

Man, I thought FCB was going to tell me to drink rat poison or something. ;)

Matt700wlw
03-25-2007, 11:52 AM
I feel a little better today, though I have absolutely no strength in my legs.

Thanks for help.

You sound fatigued....

Rest. Drink water...water, and more water

Matt700wlw
03-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks again guys (and gals).

Man, I thought FCB was going to tell me to drink rat poison or something. ;)

I don't think that would help :)