PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose To Appear On Tonight Show With Jay Leno -- Monday, March 26

macro
03-24-2007, 01:34 AM
Just a heads up...Pete is scheduled to be on The Tonight Show Monday night.

Redhook
03-24-2007, 06:08 AM
That's going to be a mess.

RedFanAlways1966
03-24-2007, 11:50 AM
For his sake I hope he pleads the 5th when Leno asks questions.

Red in Chicago
03-24-2007, 04:39 PM
That's going to be a mess.

yeah, this has trainwreck all over it :help:

Edskin
03-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Ugh, please just go away Pete. Don't know if I am more sick of seeing his mug or hearing about Balco???

BoydsOfSummer
03-25-2007, 06:13 PM
My streak of having never watched a Jay Leno Tonight Show shall continue.

Jpup
03-26-2007, 05:05 AM
Why?

BoydsOfSummer
03-26-2007, 05:58 PM
I've just never watched the show before. Watching Pete lie some more isn't going to change that.

vaticanplum
03-26-2007, 07:06 PM
For all of his (many, many) flaws, I've found Pete to be an entertaining and borderline-charming talk show guest in the past. In fact, in straight talking terms, I find him infinitely more tolerable than Jay Leno.

If Leno can manage to steer himself away from the juicy topics he so loves and give Pete a chance to talk about baseball a week before the season starts, Pete will have some interesting things to say. For all of his (many, many) flaws, Pete still clearly loves baseball, and follows it to a degree that most retired players don't. His opinions about the current game and its teams and players are usually worth hearing. And it's always fun to hear someone on the national stage talk about the present-day Reds.

Always Red
03-26-2007, 07:34 PM
vp, I do agree with you, but I think I'll wait and just read the headlines in the morning.

It's like a train wreck that I know is coming, and yet I am powerless to stop it :(

Chip R
03-26-2007, 07:41 PM
For all of his (many, many) flaws, I've found Pete to be an entertaining and borderline-charming talk show guest in the past. In fact, in straight talking terms, I find him infinitely more tolerable than Jay Leno.

If Leno can manage to steer himself away from the juicy topics he so loves and give Pete a chance to talk about baseball a week before the season starts, Pete will have some interesting things to say. For all of his (many, many) flaws, Pete still clearly loves baseball, and follows it to a degree that most retired players don't. His opinions about the current game and its teams and players are usually worth hearing. And it's always fun to hear someone on the national stage talk about the present-day Reds.

You're right. He is a very good talk show guest. I remember sometime in the mid-90s he was on Conan and Mickey Rooney was the other guest. I think Mickey was drunk cause he was just fawning all over Pete and Pete was trying not to laugh at him.

But I'm afraid this is going to be more about Pete than baseball. It'll be the same old crap recycled. Blah, blah, blah, I bet on the Reds every night; blah, blah, blah, guys have done worse stuff than I did and they are in the HOF, blah, blah, blah, I'm baseball's greatest ambassador. Then Jay will ask him who he likes this year and that'll be it. And, VP, I'll bet you a beer that he doesn't say anything about the present day Reds other than they are having that exhibit in the HOF for him.

vaticanplum
03-26-2007, 07:46 PM
But I'm afraid this is going to be more about Pete than baseball. It'll be the same old crap recycled. Blah, blah, blah, I bet on the Reds every night; blah, blah, blah, guys have done worse stuff than I did and they are in the HOF, blah, blah, blah, I'm baseball's greatest ambassador. Then Jay will ask him who he likes this year and that'll be it. And, VP, I'll bet you a beer that he doesn't say anything about the present day Reds other than they are having that exhibit in the HOF for him.

I suspect you're right, but I attribute that to Leno. A few months ago Pete was on Letterman, and he talked a lot about being baseball's greatest ambassador, and a lot about being in the HOF, and a lot about baseball and the current Reds. That's because it's the direction in which the host steered the conversation. Now Letterman of course grew up a baseball fan and a Reds fan to boot. He is also not a creepwad.

harangatang
03-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Well Pete was just on. He defended McGwire and Bonds and said that Bonds' problem was similar to Steve Carlton's. He then talked about going to opening day in Cincinnati for the first time since 1989. He referred to GABP first as Riverfront and then followed by a pause and talked about the first floor of the Reds HOF being dedicated to him. One interesting thing is he referred to his gambling as an "addiction".

Moosie52
03-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Well, it is an addiction for everyone else, why not for Pete?

Strikes Out Looking
03-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Well Pete was just on. He defended McGwire and Bonds and said that Bonds' problem was similar to Steve Carlton's. He then talked about going to opening day in Cincinnati for the first time since 1989. He referred to GABP first as Riverfront and then followed by a pause and talked about the first floor of the Reds HOF being dedicated to him. One interesting thing is he referred to his gambling as an "addiction".

I didn't know Steve Carlton was on 'roids.

RFS62
03-27-2007, 08:47 AM
I didn't know Steve Carlton was on 'roids.

I didn't see the show, but I'll bet he was referring to Carlton's refusal to talk to the press.

Strikes Out Looking
03-27-2007, 08:53 AM
I didn't see the show, but I'll bet he was referring to Carlton's refusal to talk to the press.

Bonds talks to the press--just not very politely. Carlton refused to say anything--especially after Johnny Bench would tag him for multiple homers.

Chip R
03-27-2007, 11:04 AM

He was but he got off on the steroids tangent. He is right, though. If you don't treat the press well, they won't treat you well no matter how nice of a guy you are.

Yachtzee
03-27-2007, 12:05 PM
I suspect you're right, but I attribute that to Leno. A few months ago Pete was on Letterman, and he talked a lot about being baseball's greatest ambassador, and a lot about being in the HOF, and a lot about baseball and the current Reds. That's because it's the direction in which the host steered the conversation. Now Letterman of course grew up a baseball fan and a Reds fan to boot. He is also not a creepwad.

Pete Rose really is a fascinating person. On the one hand he is a compulsive gambler and a liar who finds himself in his current position of his own doing. On the other hand, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of baseball and can be downright charming when talking about the game itself. If it weren't for the gambling and the lying about it, I could imagine he would be one of the better broadcasters in baseball if he weren't managing somewhere. I can only hope that his admission that his gambling is addiction means he might actually make an effort to get help for it.

marcshoe
03-27-2007, 12:09 PM
If it weren't for the gambling and the lying about it, I could imagine he would be one of the better broadcasters in baseball if he weren't managing somewhere.

I don't know; he doesn't seem to have an inner censor. He says the first thing that pops into his head (whether true or not). While that's entertaining, it likely wouldn't take him long to say something that would get him into trouble.

Yachtzee
03-27-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't know; he doesn't seem to have an inner censor. He says the first thing that pops into his head (whether true or not). While that's entertaining, it likely wouldn't take him long to say something that would get him into trouble.

I don't know about that. There seem to be a lot of guys in broadcasting who lack an inner censor. Dizzy Dean and Harry Carey had long careers and were known for saying crazy things on the air.

Roy Tucker
03-27-2007, 02:41 PM

I think in one of his books he said he was ADD which may account for the lack of filter between his brain and mouth.