PDA

View Full Version : WK's Quotes on Chad Moeller...

membengal
03-24-2007, 10:41 AM
...make me sad (see C. Trent's article: http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070324/SPT05/703240386/1035/SPT)

"People keep harping on the three-catcher thing," Krivsky said. "But you'd better have a guy back there if that's the way you think your roster is suited best. You can't go through a whole season with just two catchers."

Sigh.

Yes, Wayne, you can. Lots of teams do. Easy peasy. I don't mind Moeller backing up given his defensive skillz, but I hate that the team will apparently be doing that AND carrying Valentin.

Ah well. Once more into the breach this team goes, apparently with three catchers again this year...

HumnHilghtFreel
03-24-2007, 10:44 AM
That's... depressing.

dougdirt
03-24-2007, 10:47 AM
He does know that Hatteberg used to play catcher and if push came to shove, he could play catcher for a few innings until you could make a roster move if someone goes down right? Going through the mlb.com depth charts, only 6 of 16 NL teams list more than 2 catches on their respective depth charts.... So no Wayne, you can make it through a season with 2 catchers on your roster, especially if you use the premise that your current back up catcher isnt a good pinch hitter and dont use him as such.

Tom Servo
03-24-2007, 10:47 AM
:bang: :bang: :bang:

Honestly, they can keep Moeller as a backup for all I care. But trade Javy (who's a free agent after this year) if you do that and get a good bench player, because the 3 catchers thing is just stupid.

Kc61
03-24-2007, 10:55 AM
I agree you need a third catcher. But he can be at AAA, in case of injury.

The thing the Reds don't seem to get is that, with 12 pitchers you have only 5 bench players. If two of the five bench players are catchers, you have only three bench guys who play other positions. This seriously impairs your ability to move guys around.

With three catchers, the Reds' only three non-catcher reserves would be Hamilton, Conine and Castro. This is very limiting particularly since Conine is not a defensive guy. So if you have injuries in games, the need to double switch, long games with extra innings, you really are hamstrung.

If the Reds go with only 11 pitchers and keep one extra position player, then the three catchers is ok.

Their analysis is that Valentin, with no necessary catching responsibilities, can be a pinch hitter. If he is a backup catcher he can't pinch hit because there is no catcher on the bench. This is true. But other teams live with it.

Also, Valentin can get his at bats catching perhaps one third of the games. And he can still pinch hit late in games. Ross seems like a healthy fellow; in case of emergency Hatteberg can go back there.

So while I understand the Reds' thinking, with a 12 man staff and a five man bench you can only afford two catchers.

Big Klu
03-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Three catchers for it's own sake is not stupid (I've always liked having that third catcher around for insurance--guys like Terry McGriff, Glenn Sutko, or Damon Berryhill), but three catchers coupled with a five-man bench is insane! You can't use two spots on the bench for catchers when you only have five spots altogether!

RedLegSuperStar
03-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Why was LaRue dealt then if we were going to carry 3 catchers..

Joseph
03-24-2007, 11:04 AM

Especially considering we are paying for him not to be here as well.

Big Klu
03-24-2007, 11:04 AM

Because he was an unhappy camper, and they dealt him out of respect, so that he could have a chance to play elsewhere.

edabbs44
03-24-2007, 11:15 AM
What a joke.

savafan
03-24-2007, 11:18 AM
I may be wrong, but hasn't it also been said that Freel can play catcher if need be?

KronoRed
03-24-2007, 12:03 PM
He's too valuble in other roles ;)

Ltlabner
03-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I agree you need a third catcher. But he can be at AAA, in case of injury..

That's the way I see it KC. Stash Moeller at Louisville where he can be on call in the event of disaster with Ross and Javy.

Since he has these great "game calling skills" and ability to "handle the pitchers" perhaps he can put some of that mojo to use training and helping the AAA pitchers.

DoogMinAmo
03-24-2007, 12:44 PM
What if Moeller has passed Valentin to become backup catcher, and Valentin is kept around just as a pinch hitter, and this is all just media speak? Since the Jr. ordeal, I never am confident of 100% honesty from Narron in the media.

dougdirt
03-24-2007, 12:50 PM
What if Moeller has passed Valentin to become backup catcher, and Valentin is kept around just as a pinch hitter, and this is all just media speak? Since the Jr. ordeal, I never am confident of 100% honesty from Narron in the media.

Well if Valentin is kept around as a pinch hitter and not a catcher, that means we are then carrying 3 first basemen, becuase regardless of what Narron says, there is no reason Conine should step foot in the outfield. Poor roster construction at its best if we carry Valentin, Ross and Moeller.

Jpup
03-24-2007, 12:57 PM
I think you all are reading too much into this.

Matt700wlw
03-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Because he was an unhappy camper, and they dealt him out of respect, so that he could have a chance to play elsewhere.

The Royals.

Poor guy. :lol:

Falls City Beer
03-24-2007, 01:13 PM
The Royals.

Poor guy. :lol:

Neither the Reds nor the Royals are going to make the playoffs, so I'm not sure it matters one way or another to Larue. He's getting paid, and like others have said, he'll actually get to play.

membengal
03-24-2007, 01:38 PM
I think you all are reading too much into this.

Really? Because those are WK's words, not mine. What would you have us do, NOT take WK at face value when he speaks?

Wheelhouse
03-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Wayne can have his third catcher if he picks up a Hamilton, Arroyo, or a Phillips every year. Let him have his one vice.