PDA

View Full Version : Thad Matta and UK...

Matt700wlw
03-24-2007, 01:27 PM
http://www.morningjournal.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18122272&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46370&rfi=6

max venable
03-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Matta said he won't talk to UK. End of story. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if Matta didn't pursue the IU job, why would he pursue the UK job?

Blimpie
03-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Seriously though, if Matta didn't pursue the IU job, why would he pursue the UK job?That's a softball, so I won't touch it. :cool:

LoganBuck
03-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Contractually Smith probably has to allow him to talk, so the question this story is based on probably only had one answer. I seriously doubt that Thad is going anywhere, he has a very good recruiting class coming in next year again, and a GREAT recruiting class coming for 2008. He is already one of the highest paid coaches in the country, and frankly Ohio State has all the resources or more, than Kentucky could offer. Kentucky's job has more historical prestige, but Thad is sitting on a home field advantage in terms of recruiting. Quite frankly it is embarrasing that Ohio State hasn't had more success over the years, considering the instate talent, and money in the athletic department.

Yachtzee
03-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Contractually Smith probably has to allow him to talk, so the question this story is based on probably only had one answer. I seriously doubt that Thad is going anywhere, he has a very good recruiting class coming in next year again, and a GREAT recruiting class coming for 2008. He is already one of the highest paid coaches in the country, and frankly Ohio State has all the resources or more, than Kentucky could offer. Kentucky's job has more historical prestige, but Thad is sitting on a home field advantage in terms of recruiting. Quite frankly it is embarrasing that Ohio State hasn't had more success over the years, considering the instate talent, and money in the athletic department.

One possible lure for UK is that it is a school where the basketball program is top dog in the athletics department, whereas at OSU, the basketball program will always be second to football, no matter how successful a coach you are. So if ego and wanting to be top dog are what drives you, UK may be the place to be. And lets not forget Ashley Judd in the stands.

At this point, if Matta leaves again after he has said he won't, he may well end up looking like he went to the Nick Saban school of how to further your career.

Heath
03-24-2007, 03:17 PM
As an Ohio State fan, if Thad Matta left, it wouldn't be the end of the world. You could always find someone to take his place.

KYRedsFan
03-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Ashley Judd, does that make UK more or less attractive?

Matt700wlw
03-24-2007, 03:52 PM
You tell me...

http://www.murrayinthemorning.com/sweetest16/gallery/judd_uk.jpg

jmac
03-24-2007, 04:10 PM
You tell me...

http://www.murrayinthemorning.com/sweetest16/gallery/judd_uk.jpg

You beat me to it friend...you beat me to it.
She is to UK what Jack Nicholsen is to the Lakers.
Only she's "pretty" !
:thumbup:

Heath
03-24-2007, 04:11 PM
I didn't know UK had hockey?

Or is that pool?

:dunno:

KYRedsFan
03-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Yeah, ten year old picture, about when UK had a good team too.:devil:

jmac
03-24-2007, 05:07 PM

Jack Nicholsen's changed over the years too but I still think Ashley looks better !:D

jmac
03-24-2007, 06:10 PM
A few years ago...I about burnt out UK football till they hired a young coach (who I liked his offense) by the name of Hal Mumme who got me intersted in football again.
I have done reached that stage with the basketball program and there are only a few guys that would bring back that excitement again for basketball.
Matta is alright but he isnt one of the guys. No offence to OSU fans on here just merely my opinion.

WVRed
03-24-2007, 07:11 PM
I mentioned this in the previous thread, but I am starting to wonder what skeletons are hiding in Mr. Matta's closet.

2006-
Five Star Recruits:
Greg Oden
Mike Conley
Daequan Cook*

Four Star:
David Lighty*
Othello Hunter

2007-
Five Star Recruits:
Kosta Koufos*

Four Star:
Jon Diebler*
Dallas Lauderdale*
Evan Turner
Eric Wallace

2008-
Five Star-
BJ Mullens*
William Buford*
Anthony Crater
Luke Babbit

Four Star:
Warren Offutt

* In state recruit.

Either Matta is a great recruiter, or something is going on in Columbus that could put the Buckeyes back on probation by the end of the decade.

While I don't want Matta anywhere near UK, the fact that he said no doesn't mean much because he said that he wasn't up for the Ohio St job either.

Blimpie
03-24-2007, 07:18 PM
I mentioned this in the previous thread, but I am starting to wonder what skeletons are hiding in Mr. Matta's closet.

2006-
Five Star Recruits:
Greg Oden
Mike Conley
Daequan Cook*

Four Star:
David Lighty*
Othello Hunter

2007-
Five Star Recruits:
Kosta Koufos*

Four Star:
Jon Diebler*
Dallas Lauderdale*
Evan Turner
Eric Wallace

2008-
Five Star-
BJ Mullens*
William Buford*
Anthony Crater
Luke Babbit

Four Star:
Warren Offutt

* In state recruit.

Either Matta is a great recruiter, or something is going on in Columbus that could put the Buckeyes back on probation by the end of the decade.

While I don't want Matta anywhere near UK, the fact that he said no doesn't mean much because he said that he wasn't up for the Ohio St job either.I couldn't agree more. That's the same reason that some people in these parts want no part of Calipari.

WMR
03-24-2007, 07:21 PM
I couldn't agree more. That's the same reason that some people in these parts want no part of Calipari.

http://actors.pick2web.com/pics/928646/nicknolte_bluechips.jpg

traderumor
03-24-2007, 07:23 PM

2006-
Five Star Recruits:
Greg Oden
Mike Conley
Daequan Cook*

Four Star:
David Lighty*
Othello Hunter

2007-
Five Star Recruits:
Kosta Koufos*

Four Star:
Jon Diebler*
Dallas Lauderdale*
Evan Turner
Eric Wallace

2008-
Five Star-
BJ Mullens*
William Buford*
Anthony Crater
Luke Babbit

Four Star:
Warren Offutt

* In state recruit.

While I don't want Matta anywhere near UK, the fact that he said no doesn't mean much because he said that he wasn't up for the Ohio St job either.
Make baseless accusations like this often? As if it is either great recruiter or he's cheating? Brilliant, brilliant I say.

Heath
03-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Make baseless accusations like this often? As if it is either great recruiter or he's cheating? Brilliant, brilliant I say.

Yep, all those years that Roy Williams got those bluechippers....he cheats too.

Blimpie
03-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Only time will tell about Matta and his recruiting tactics...Mine is more of a "scratch your head" type of curiosity.

Baseless accusations be damned...the guy straight up lied to a bunch of people when he took the OSU job. I mean, like, a Nick Saban caliber of lying.

Lying is deceit. Deceit begets deceit.

So, if you are UK...a program which has had a rich history of trying to circumvent the rules, you steer clear of anyone who does not pass the smell test. Especially when you just ran out of town a man with an impeccable reputation in Tubby Smith.

Blimpie
03-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Yep, all those years that Roy Williams got those bluechippers....he cheats too.Uhm...programs also play a large part in recruiting. Historically, do you actually think Ohio State is on par with the basketball programs at Kansas or North Carolina?

WVRed
03-24-2007, 07:32 PM

Obviously, if called before a grand jury, I would have nothing to base it from. However, when a coach jumps from the A-10 and reels in the top player in the nation along with a nice supporting cast, you start to take notice.

When teams become too good too quick and all of the big name recruits are coming to play there, something is usually up.

WVRed
03-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Yep, all those years that Roy Williams got those bluechippers....he cheats too.

I think Blimpie hit the nail on the head, but i'll add another point to this.

Roy Williams is a proven coach. Fifteen years at Kansas, an 80% winning percentage(third all time NCAA), nine regular season conference titles in thirteen years, and this is just at Kansas.

And not to mention, who wouldn't want to wear the baby blue?;)

guttle11
03-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Obviously, if called before a grand jury, I would have nothing to base it from. However, when a coach jumps from the A-10 and reels in the top player in the nation along with a nice supporting cast, you start to take notice.

When teams become too good too quick and all of the big name recruits are coming to play there, something is usually up.

Ohio State has all the resources to get top notch basketball talent. They have better facilities than all but a few programs in the nation. It was just a matter of someone coming in and doing it. Thad has done it.

LoganBuck
03-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Ohio State has all the resources to get top notch basketball talent. They have better facilities than all but a few programs in the nation. It was just a matter of someone coming in and doing it. Thad has done it.

Yep, you will be hard pressed to find a program with better facilities and the ability to keep improving them. On WLW this morning UK fans were talking about this new 30 million dollar basketball complex they are building. Ohio State already has one, and if you have taken a stroll near the athletic buildings there you will see that they have a habit of improving facilities at a breakneck pace.

As for the baseless recruiting statements/accusations, this is the most open period ever for exposing fraud. The internet opens the windows into many shady backrooms. If they are doing something wrong they will be caught.

bucksfan
03-24-2007, 09:30 PM

2006-
Five Star Recruits:
Greg Oden
Mike Conley
Daequan Cook*

Four Star:
David Lighty*
Othello Hunter

2007-
Five Star Recruits:
Kosta Koufos*

Four Star:
Jon Diebler*
Dallas Lauderdale*
Evan Turner
Eric Wallace

2008-
Five Star-
BJ Mullens*
William Buford*
Anthony Crater
Luke Babbit

Four Star:
Warren Offutt

* In state recruit.

While I don't want Matta anywhere near UK, the fact that he said no doesn'tmean much because he said Ihe wasn't up for the Ohio St job either.

I have stayed out of all the OSU bashing (for the most part) but this is just it. What in the world does this mean?!? I know you wrote "either Mattta is a great recruiter or ...." but come on. I hope everyone finds what they are looking for with OSU hoops (or football or whatever).... Whatever will make you feel happy. This is just silly at this point. The guy built some great recruiting classes off of momentum from a surprisingly successful season and now he's subject to all kinds of baseless accusations.

jmac
03-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Oh yeah KYRedsFan, this photo taken 5 months ago.
Ten years hasnt changed her alot,has it?
Same cant be said for UK though !

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q178/jhmac/72588689.jpg

traderumor
03-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Only time will tell about Matta and his recruiting tactics...Mine is more of a "scratch your head" type of curiosity.

Baseless accusations be damned...the guy straight up lied to a bunch of people when he took the OSU job. I mean, like, a Nick Saban caliber of lying.

Lying is deceit. Deceit begets deceit.

So, if you are UK...a program which has had a rich history of trying to circumvent the rules, you steer clear of anyone who does not pass the smell test. Especially when you just ran out of town a man with an impeccable reputation in Tubby Smith.Airtight case there.

WMR
03-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Airtight case there.

I dunno why you've gotta be snarky towards Blimpie, tr, b/c I don't think he purported to be making any sort of "case" whatsoever.

Just a "scratch your head type of curiousity."

LoganBuck
03-24-2007, 11:50 PM
I dunno why you've gotta be snarky towards Blimpie, tr, b/c I don't think he purported to be making any sort of "case" whatsoever.

Just a "scratch your head type of curiousity."

His scratch your head curiosity was intended to cast a shadow of accusation.

WMR
03-24-2007, 11:58 PM

I didn't read it that way.

Matta is a proven liar>> That's a fact.

His curiousity is based upon Matta's prior history... HOWEVER, he certainly didn't suppose to know any more than that.

savafan
03-25-2007, 02:59 AM
Ashley Judd, does that make UK more or less attractive?

Don't forget:

http://www.ukhockey.com/images/posters/rebecca_gayheart.jpg

http://www.ukhockey.com/images/posters/costello_twins.jpg

http://www.ukhockey.com/images/posters/leah_lail.jpg

http://www.ukhockey.com/images/posters/amy_hayes.jpg

http://www.ukhockey.com/images/posters/kylie_bax.jpg

http://www.ukhockey.com/images/posters/alison_list.jpg

http://www.ukhockey.com/images/posters/tara_conner.jpg

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2007, 03:31 AM

So? If Matta is on the up-and-up then he (and the program) really have nothing to worry about. However, his personal behavior of climbing the proverbial ladder by any means necessary will always open him to speculation of this sort.

Personally, I'm not surprised by Ohio State's emergence as a basketball power. They're in a lucrative conference and have more money than they know what to do with for facilities and recruiting -- its amazing it took them this long to be relevant in the sport.

Having said that, they'll never be consistently good like Duke, North Carolina or Kansas until they start recruiting some college stars as opposed to pro-prospects. Its tough to maintain continuity when half your team has one foot out the door before they set foot on campus as a freshman.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-25-2007, 04:58 AM
According to a recent poll, IIRC, OSU has the third most popular basketball program in the nation. Take that for what you will, of course, but that will obviously help in recruiting as well. Matta has the benefit of being at a big name school with tons of resources. I'm not saying the guy isn't shady, I don't know the man or how he operates, but I don't think anyone here can honestly say otherwise either.

So what if he "lied" before he took the OSU job? It's standard practice these days to give the PC cover all your bases answer when you're questioned about taking a job elsewhere.

traderumor
03-25-2007, 08:40 AM
I didn't read it that way.

Matta is a proven liar>> That's a fact.

His curiousity is based upon Matta's prior history... HOWEVER, he certainly didn't suppose to know any more than that.

No, he is not a proven liar. The bitter Cincy sports crowd have tried to paint that picture. Between Matta and Huggins, the opinions on these situations make Cincy college sports fans look like little more than bitter jilted lovers.

And Logan Buck hit it on the head as to what I was thinking on Blimpie's post. I think you just wanted to use the vogue, fan board word "snarky" in a sentence.

traderumor
03-25-2007, 08:43 AM
However, his personal behavior of climbing the proverbial ladder by any means necessary will always open him to speculation of this sort.Yes, showing interest in another job while saying you are happy where you are because the other job has so much more to offer is "climbing the proverbial ladder by any means necessary." I bet he flirted with Karen Holbrook, too.

Blimpie
03-25-2007, 10:51 AM
No, he is not a proven liar. The bitter Cincy sports crowd have tried to paint that picture. Between Matta and Huggins, the opinions on these situations make Cincy college sports fans look like little more than bitter jilted lovers.
When Matta was asked about his interest in the OSU job while he was the coach at Xavier, he was quoted directly as saying, "I am not a candidate for the job at OSU." He also espoused his love for the Musketeers at that point.

It was later revealed that he had actually interviewed for the OSU job two days earlier. Less than a week after his comments, he was at a press conference in Columbus announcing his hire.

Not a proven liar? Give me a break.

Cedric
03-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Kentucky basketball fans are talking about cheating? How ironic and laughable.

I would be jealous also if I was a Kentucky fan.

Matt700wlw
03-25-2007, 01:15 PM
I couldn't agree more. That's the same reason that some people in these parts want no part of Calipari.

If Calipari would go to UK, and he wins (which I guess is something Tubby couldn't do), they won't care

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Yes, showing interest in another job while saying you are happy where you are because the other job has so much more to offer is "climbing the proverbial ladder by any means necessary." I bet he flirted with Karen Holbrook, too.

All my personal feelings on college coaching changes being bad for the sport, the kids, and the reputation of athletics in general and refusal to honor contracts signed in good faith aside, I really draw the line when a guy tells all of his players, to their faces, that he is going to be staying and continuing to coach them and then packs up in the dead of night and heads somewhere else.

Thad Matta looked every X player in the face and told them he wasn't going anywhere. Blink and he's in Columbus. Great for his career, sure...but why would you ever believe a word the guy says when he lies his own team, his kids that he personally recruited?

He is a great coach. He is a great recruiter. He is also, in my mind, a disingenuous worm -- no better than Nick Saban, Mark Dantonio, or any other coach that doesn't have the onions to at least be honest with the people that he said, in some living room long ago, that he'd be there for.

Joseph
03-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Good gosh people. Can we do a little more 'mines bigger than yours' talk? OSU and UK are two of the top collegiate sports programs in the nation. Some days [or sports] OSU is better, some days [or sports] UK is better. Both have a lot of money to toss at a coach, both have or are building top facilities, and both have rich histories. It's all up to Matta or whatever other coach to decide what he wants. OSU can offer just as much cash, and just as solid facilities, and yes are in a better position right now that UK. But let's look at the ego's of the coaching candidates involved before calling names. 'Rebuilding' UK will be a far bigger notch in the belt than anything done at 99% of other schools.

I don't think we need to carry on the debate about which school is better, they are both very pretty and could get any man they want....sorry, couldn't resist answering the seeming inferiority complex thats raging in this thread.

Blimpie
03-25-2007, 05:20 PM
If Calipari would go to UK, and he wins (which I guess is something Tubby couldn't do), they won't careThat's not exactly true, Matt. The fans here do not want to go through any more scandals--in either sport.

Blimpie
03-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Kentucky basketball fans are talking about cheating? How ironic and laughable.

I would be jealous also if I was a Kentucky fan.You should probably read the comments by some more carefully. This thread is about the possibility of Matta coming to UK to be their head coach. The discussion started by saying that even if there were a shadow of doubt about the tactics of a potential replacement coach (be he Matta or Calipari) then UK should pass immediately. The only comments about cheating have come with full acknowledgement (at least in my posts it has) that UK has been one of the most scandal-ridden college basketball programs in history.

No coach mentioned is worth taking an unnecessary risk at this point.

traderumor
03-25-2007, 05:34 PM
When Matta was asked about his interest in the OSU job while he was the coach at Xavier, he was quoted directly as saying, "I am not a candidate for the job at OSU." He also espoused his love for the Musketeers at that point.

It was later revealed that he had actually interviewed for the OSU job two days earlier. Less than a week after his comments, he was at a press conference in Columbus announcing his hire.

Not a proven liar? Give me a break.

Yea, I figured that was where you were coming from. I believe a reasonable answer was given and it was confidentiality concerns. For some reason, Geiger was trying to keep it from the press. Still, why could he not say he loved the Musketeers in that position? Do kids not love their parents when they are ready to move onto bigger and better things?

Most of what went on that was construed by some as lying seemed to be a result of the press snooping around and looking for a scoop and Geiger trying to not give it to them until he had his man for sure. Now, three years later, it is still construed as "lying." Ok, whatever.

traderumor
03-25-2007, 05:49 PM
All my personal feelings on college coaching changes being bad for the sport, the kids, and the reputation of athletics in general and refusal to honor contracts signed in good faith aside, I really draw the line when a guy tells all of his players, to their faces, that he is going to be staying and continuing to coach them and then packs up in the dead of night and heads somewhere else.

Thad Matta looked every X player in the face and told them he wasn't going anywhere. Blink and he's in Columbus. Great for his career, sure...but why would you ever believe a word the guy says when he lies his own team, his kids that he personally recruited?

He is a great coach. He is a great recruiter. He is also, in my mind, a disingenuous worm -- no better than Nick Saban, Mark Dantonio, or any other coach that doesn't have the onions to at least be honest with the people that he said, in some living room long ago, that he'd be there for.

While I'm not going to further rehash the timeline and the accuracy of the above statements, what occurred is an industry standard. Kids know when they follow a coach to a program that there may be some movement in their four years career. The coaches deal with the flip side on one or two year kids that use his program as a stepping stone to millions. It is an up or out industry and both sides, players and coaches, accept that as circumstances arise, a previous agreement may need to be revised. Long contracts are also very standard for college coaches, and most of them are bought out at some point. There are normally out clauses so a coach can pursue opportunities that come along unpredictably. Does that make all of that philosophically right? I dunno, but in the delicate situation of hiring a successful coach from another program when the person was not actively seeking such a position, which it is documented that Matta was not, OSU approached him, aggressively, calling it lying and deceitful is not really fair, and I'm about as black and white guy as there is.

jmac
03-25-2007, 06:16 PM
That's not exactly true, Matt. The fans here do not want to go through any more scandals--in either sport.

Right on !
I cant believe the comments some make about "not caring how".
Most fans have their reasons for wanting changes !
Last season...the reds were 80-82 an improvement from the previous year yet many want Narron fired.
Why? You have your reasons.....
Guess what ? UK fans are the same way and No (!) most dont want it at any cost !

Blimpie
03-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Yea, I figured that was where you were coming from.Still seems like a pretty logical place to begin the discussion about whether or not he was a liar.

traderumor
03-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Still seems like a pretty logical place to begin the discussion about whether or not he was a liar.No one said it wasn't, but I don't think your argument for determining that he "lied," much yet is a habitual liar holds much water. There have been no indications of Matta being shady or less than forthright at any of his jobs other than you not liking the way his acceptance of the OSU job was handled. Of course, I'm sure a friend of a friend of a friend can tell us some stories...but the stuff in this thread is just wild conjecture based on an incident that is a sticky wick in any job change situation, esp. among the highly successful with contractual obligations.

Cedric
03-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Why are these coaches held up to such ridiculous standards? Why are they the only people in the world that are supposed to care about others in determining what is right for their future and their families?

Why are these coaches supposed to be loyal when most Athletic Directors, boosters, and fans would never shy from showing a lack of trust if they lose a few games?

It's very easy to claim moral superiority when you aren't in the fire. These guys are just advancing their careers and yet they are ridiculed on talk radio and message boards. What's wrong with changing your mind about Xavier when someone like Ohio State comes calling?

I guess he should have appeased the fans and forsaken his future? Get real.

Scrap Irony
03-25-2007, 10:26 PM
I've always wondered about cheating in the NCAA. In my youth, both Kentucky and UNLV were caught cheating. Public perception, at the time, confirmed suspicions that both were paying players substantial amounts of money.

Fine.

But, if I'm a Top 25, nationally-renowned HS player and Duke is offering me a free education, while Tark is offering a free education and $50,000 per year (not to mention the inevitable nice ride), I'm taking the cash.

If one cheats, IMO, they all do.

Caveat Emperor
03-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Why are these coaches held up to such ridiculous standards?

You mean like honoring a contract signed in good faith?

Yeah -- can't say we expect anyone else to do that.

Blimpie
03-26-2007, 06:46 AM
No one said it wasn't, but I don't think your argument for determining that he "lied," much yet is a habitual liar holds much water. Nowhere on this board have I called him a "habitual" liar--that is your choice of words.

My issue was with your declararation that Matta "was not a proven liar." I offered evidence of proof that he has lied...to his own people. End of story.

Unless, in your version of the story, he lied to be noble and uphold his sacred "oath of confidentiality"

Cedric
03-26-2007, 10:03 AM

Yeah -- can't say we expect anyone else to do that.

Not in the sports world. Do you feel the exact same way when teams cut players in the NFL?

Do you also get hounded and questioned by the press when you are deciding to switch jobs? These guys are gonna be wrong no matter what they say while getting interviewed for another job.

rdiersin
03-26-2007, 10:19 AM
I guess he should have appeased the fans and forsaken his future? Get real.

Except you are making this an either or situation. He could have easily said no comment or avoided the whole thing entirely, similar to Donovan. But that's not what he did, is it? What he did, was say publicly something he knew was a lie. And this wasn't just a lie that affected one person, himself. I'm sorry, but to me that's a question of character, which, coupled with the recruiting classes, raises eyebrows. Personally I doubt that he did any illegal recruiting, at least with Oden and Connelly, because I think he has recruiting connections in Indianapolis, but it certainly does raise a few doubts. And if you were looking to hire someone, shouldn't those doubts be thought through? That's all anyone here is doing, as far as I can see. UK fans are raising doubts about someone who could be speculated to become their coach. Seems reasonable enough. In fact if this were a different sport, and the situations were reversed, for some reason I think OSU fans might be saying the same things. But good gosh, lately on this board, don't say anything remotely bad about OSU. :rolleyes:

Cedric
03-26-2007, 10:28 AM
In fact if this were a different sport, and the situations were reversed, for some reason I think OSU fans might be saying the same things. But good gosh, lately on this board, don't say anything remotely bad about OSU. :rolleyes:

Actually I wouldn't say anything about another coach. Everyone railed against Saban and I didn't see anything he did wrong. I'm just not into the sports talk mindset of most fans. These guys have a life and they aren't just public servants for insane sports fans.

I don't blame these coaches one bit. They would be ripped to shreds if they publicly said they were considering other offers. If they say no comment that is even more of an indictment and their fan base would go off on them and it would cause a huge distraction.

Hoosier Red
03-26-2007, 11:01 AM
They also don't have to lie about it. This should be the standard response.
"______ University is a great university with a proud heritage of tradition. I am honored that people think I would be a good fit for that university, though I have not had any personal contact with representatives from ___________ University. I am happy to be at my current job and unless _____________ University offers me a position I will not comment any further."

Then stick to your guns, let the people who represent you do their job, and keep your mouth shut.

Blimpie
03-26-2007, 01:24 PM
I don't blame these coaches one bit. They would be ripped to shreds if they publicly said they were considering other offers. If they say no comment that is even more of an indictment and their fan base would go off on them and it would cause a huge distraction.Saying "no comment" is a huge distraction to their fan base?

You mean, moreso, than the coach doing an about-face and fleeing town? That, right there, might also be construed as a distraction.

At least with "no comment" you can look people in the eyes after the dust has settled.

traderumor
03-26-2007, 08:19 PM
My issue was with your declararation that Matta "was not a proven liar." I offered evidence of proof that he has lied...to his own people. End of story.

Unless, in your version of the story, he lied to be noble and uphold his sacred "oath of confidentiality"
I think your quotes are messed up in this post above. As for "proving" he "lied", you did no such thing.

traderumor
03-26-2007, 08:23 PM

Yeah -- can't say we expect anyone else to do that.These contracts have escape clauses and buyout provisions. Painting the picture as people just burning a contract is hardly the environment.

Blimpie
03-26-2007, 08:44 PM
I think your quotes are messed up in this post above. As for "proving" he "lied", you did no such thing.To quote our former Chief Executive, "I guess that depends on what the definition of "IS" is..."

I give up....Really....You win.

Thad Matta is the bomb. Just please keep him in Columbus.

WMR
03-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Airtight case there.

And Logan Buck hit it on the head as to what I was thinking on Blimpie's post. I think you just wanted to use the vogue, fan board word "snarky" in a sentence.

I guess Merriam-Webster is a bit more 'en vogue' than I thought...
http://reference.aol.com/dictionary?dword=snarky
Main Entry: snarky
Function: adjective
Pronunciation: 'snär-ke
Etymology: dialect snark to annoy, perhaps alteration of nark to irritate
: CROTCHETY , SNAPPISH

Hmmm, those last two synonyms could have been substituted just as ably, I suppose.

Highlifeman21
03-27-2007, 11:53 AM

2006-
Five Star Recruits:
Greg Oden
Mike Conley
Daequan Cook*

Four Star:
David Lighty*
Othello Hunter

2007-
Five Star Recruits:
Kosta Koufos*

Four Star:
Jon Diebler*
Dallas Lauderdale*
Evan Turner
Eric Wallace

2008-
Five Star-
BJ Mullens*
William Buford*
Anthony Crater
Luke Babbit

Four Star:
Warren Offutt

* In state recruit.

Gee, ya think?

Nah.

Not THE Ohio State University....

They run a CLEAN program....

100% squeaky clean, to the letter of the NCAA law.

Highlifeman21
03-27-2007, 12:02 PM

Let's also not forget Ohio State has boosters with deep deep pockets.

That, and they have a history of NCAA violations for both of their two major sports, Football and Basketball.

Troy Smith got a public slap on the hand with that two game suspension a few games back for accepting money from boosters so the NCAA wouldn't dig deeper into that program, thanks to all the attention brought to it by Maurice Clarett. While I think Mo Clarett isn't a model citizens and has his own issues, there was definitely some truth to what he was saying about the OSU Football program. How much? Therein lies the problem.

Around the same time, the Basketball team gets a big NCAA slap on the wrist thanks to Dan, er I mean Jim O'Brien (sorry, it just seems so natural to blame everything on Dan O'Brien) for him paying a player money.

Thanks to the O'Brien fun, and the attention Clarett was drawing to OSU, AD Andy Geiger left, resigned, quit, c ya. I'm sure some people will ignorantly think that his decision had zero to do with the other two, but I can only shake my head to that.

Andy Geiger resigned b/c of those two incidents.

Still think OSU is a 100% squeaky clean program, and it's the "facilities" drawing young athletes to that collegiate Mecca of Columbus, OH?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-27-2007, 12:17 PM
You beat me to it friend...you beat me to it.
She is to UK what Jack Nicholsen is to the Lakers.
Only she's "pretty" !
:thumbup:
Jack Nicholson now, or 1974?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-27-2007, 12:19 PM

That, and they have a history of NCAA violations for both of their two major sports, Football and Basketball.

Troy Smith got a public slap on the hand with that two game suspension a few games back for accepting money from boosters so the NCAA wouldn't dig deeper into that program, thanks to all the attention brought to it by Maurice Clarett. While I think Mo Clarett isn't a model citizens and has his own issues, there was definitely some truth to what he was saying about the OSU Football program. How much? Therein lies the problem.

Around the same time, the Basketball team gets a big NCAA slap on the wrist thanks to Dan, er I mean Jim O'Brien (sorry, it just seems so natural to blame everything on Dan O'Brien) for him paying a player money.

Thanks to the O'Brien fun, and the attention Clarett was drawing to OSU, AD Andy Geiger left, resigned, quit, c ya. I'm sure some people will ignorantly think that his decision had zero to do with the other two, but I can only shake my head to that.

Still think OSU is a 100% squeaky clean program, and it's the "facilities" drawing young athletes to that collegiate Mecca of Columbus, OH?
So KY's boosters have shallow pockets?

gonelong
03-27-2007, 12:22 PM
So KY's boosters have shallow pockets?

If you had to pay property tax on 1000s of acres, paint all those nice white fences, and feed all those horses you'd know they don't have much left over. ;)

GL

LoganBuck
03-27-2007, 04:12 PM

-Troy was busted for accepting money before the ESPN-Clarret thing came to light. The NCAA cleared the football team of the Clarret allegations. Nice Try though.

- I didn't like Jim Obrien one bit. But the money thing with him, is a little overblown. If you believe the reports and his side of the story he gave the player money after he found out he couldn't attend OSU because of previous pro participation. Life in the Slavic republics isn't rainbows and unicorns.

traderumor
03-27-2007, 10:54 PM
I guess Merriam-Webster is a bit more 'en vogue' than I thought...
http://reference.aol.com/dictionary?dword=snarky
Main Entry: snarky
Function: adjective
Pronunciation: 'snär-ke
Etymology: dialect snark to annoy, perhaps alteration of nark to irritate
: CROTCHETY , SNAPPISH

Hmmm, those last two synonyms could have been substituted just as ably, I suppose.
Good to see you can use a dictionary AND bold and increase fonts. Those computer classes are working out great for you. That entire post took some advanced html skills. Good thing they have those little buttons.

WMR
03-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Good to see you can use a dictionary AND bold and increase fonts. Those computer classes are working out great for you. That entire post took some advanced html skills. Good thing they have those little buttons.

Hahaha, who could've guessed it, another snarky, condescending post from traderumor! Bravo! :laugh:

RedsMan3203
03-27-2007, 11:47 PM
This is going to be the ONLY thing I say in the thread...

Cincinnati people like 2 of 3 teams... They go for their local teams.. X and UC... THen moreless UK.

Lets just say Matta screwed X. But come'on... Its X... When Ohio State comes knocking on your door with everything... Are you going to turn it down to stay down there? I know I wouldn't....

And with what Matta has done with the basketball program at OSU... ALOT of UK fans would love to have him come dress in Blue.... But he won't...

UK Fans keep hoping... You might be able to get Billy D or Lavin to come out of ESPN to coach... Hey... Maybe Jimmmy O can help yah out?

guttle11
03-28-2007, 12:00 AM

If you think Ohio State is alone in that, you are sorely mistaken, and boarderline delusional with hate. Virtually EVERY reputable program in the country is, either knowingly or unknowingly, in violation of NCAA rules right now.

Every program has its own Myron Piggie. I'm not justifying it, I'm just saying that if you hate Ohio State for it, you should hate all college sports as well.

From where I sit, you're just a blind hater that will still be talking about those incidents 50 years, and 7 administrations from now, simply because you feel the need to take an unprovoked shot.

Fil3232
03-28-2007, 12:31 AM
How's the saying go? If everyone else jumped off a bridge...

If you're not trying to justify OSU's habits, why make this point at all? We all know other schools have gotten in trouble. That doesn't make one ounce of difference if OSU (or any other school) continues to break the rules. This attitude disgusts me and unfortunately it is one shared by a lot of OSU fans I know.

guttle11
03-28-2007, 01:39 AM
How's the saying go? If everyone else jumped off a bridge...

If you're not trying to justify OSU's habits, why make this point at all? We all know other schools have gotten in trouble. That doesn't make one ounce of difference if OSU (or any other school) continues to break the rules. This attitude disgusts me and unfortunately it is one shared by a lot of OSU fans I know.

Because this is a thread pertaining to Ohio State basketball and its current coach, and he couldn't help but jump in and take another shot at the programs program's past problems, (and insinuated that more cheating is taking place now) which is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. That attitude disgusts me, and many other OSU fans I know.

Highlifeman21
03-28-2007, 08:49 AM
If you think Ohio State is alone in that, you are sorely mistaken, and boarderline delusional with hate. Virtually EVERY reputable program in the country is, either knowingly or unknowingly, in violation of NCAA rules right now.

Every program has its own Myron Piggie. I'm not justifying it, I'm just saying that if you hate Ohio State for it, you should hate all college sports as well.

From where I sit, you're just a blind hater that will still be talking about those incidents 50 years, and 7 administrations from now, simply because you feel the need to take an unprovoked shot.

I've said in the Non-Baseball Chatter forum many times that all major Div I programs in Football and Basketball are all dirty on some level. Obviously, some more than others.

Nothing would bring a bigger smile to my face than to see a report about Duke finally getting busted for some NCAA violation.

It's not that I hate Ohio State as much as I'm amazed by the ignorance of most OSU fans that have the "not my school" syndrome. Ohio State is just one of many "dirty" programs across the country.

UC had its problems, I'm sure XU had its problems, and I know my Syracuse Orangemen had their problems back in the 80s and 90s with athletes being given cars from a local dealership.

I honestly wish that college athletes were paid. That would solve the problems. Athletes generate millions of dollars in revenue for their respective institutions, they should get a piece of the action. Giving them an "education" isn't enough, when the vast majority of your upper eschelon athletes are only at a college or university to improve their pro stock.

bucksfan
03-28-2007, 09:22 AM
I agree that all programs either knowingly or unknowingly have or have had their share of problems. This certainly includes Ohio State. And who is to say that tomorrow there won't be some horrible finding about a booster who did something completely illegal once again. I sure hope not but how can anyone be sure with any program? I think in general that Ohio State seems to be moving in the right direction adminisitratively and that they are trying. IMO it woul dbe foolish with all the focus and scrutiny on this area nowadays for anyone to try to blatantly cheat the system. However there are so many external influences that are so difficult to control (unscrupulous or even well-meaning boosters, naive or desperate or unscrupulous kids).

I tend to side with Highlifeman on his last point about athletes getting paid, in some form anyways. Now that it is a clear violation for anyone to do pretty much anything for the college athlete (to the point of absurdity in some cases, but I understand if an inch is given...), I think there are some special circumstances that need to be considered. However, I still don;t know how much that would stop any blatant cheating, but I think it could help eliminate the offenses committed either unknowingly or with good intentions.

OesterPoster
03-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Fuel the fire baby. Screw blue. :D

A reporter asked Matta a rather lengthy question at his press conference today. The reporter happened to be wearing a Kentucky t-shirt. Here is the exchange that took place between them.

Matta: My first queston is, did you lose a bet today, with the shirt?

Reporter: It's a reminder we're looking for a coach. (laughter in the room, including Matta)

Matta: Oh, you're an alum from there?

Reporter: I graduated from there.

Matta: (spreading his fingers about an inch apart)Then I'll use real small words in this answer.

gonelong
03-28-2007, 09:58 AM
It's not that I hate Ohio State as much as I'm amazed by the ignorance of most OSU fans that have the "not my school" syndrome. Ohio State is just one of many "dirty" programs across the country.

I think that has more to do with how you frame your arguments than with "ignorance" of tOSU fans. You seem to frame that as tOSU is just as "dirty" as any of the other teams. I want to frame that as tOSU is just as "clean" as any of the other teams. Go frame your same argument as "just as clean" instead of "dirty" and the response will obviously be different.

From what I can tell tOSU does as much or more than can be expected to try to educate boosters, players, etc. about NCAA violations. They have tightened up their admission policies for players so much that kids they are turning away are ending up on other Big10+1 squads.

I'm not sure what you expect when you have 80+ kids (emphasis on the kids) to watch over. Some of them are going to get in some kind of trouble no matter what you do. Some of them are going to drink. Some of them are going to do drugs. Some of them are going to cheat on tests/homework. The majority of college students will do at least one of these things if not 2 or 3. The players are no different.

That said, I have no doubts that some boosters, professors, admissions office, other students, etc. will do things that are outside the lines in hopes of helping the football/basketball team. I just don't see how any Univesity can hope to police all the students, alumni, professors, coaches, etc. at all times and for all activities.

I honestly wish that college athletes were paid. That would solve the problems. Athletes generate millions of dollars in revenue for their respective institutions, they should get a piece of the action. Giving them an "education" isn't enough, when the vast majority of your upper eschelon athletes are only at a college or university to improve their pro stock.

I theory that would be great. In practice I think it'd be a disaster. It would work find for a handful of powerhouse football teams and a handful of powerhosue baseketball teams but it would more than likely bury MAC type schools altogether.

It would also lead to shutting down all sorts of sports programs that cannot sustain themselves at the gate like swimming teams, cross-country, tennis, baseball, etc.

GL

RedsMan3203
03-28-2007, 02:03 PM

Yes, the big name players might be there 2 years.... But 2 years at OSU is what? 20g's?

Okay... Some are out of state... More money....

Add in Room and Food...

Oh yah... What about those Nike Jump Suits? Shoes? SHirts? Socks? Shorts? Hoodies? Sweetshirts they have on while on campus? Think they paid for em? Nope...

While the school is making a pretty dime on them... They are also giving alot back to the players of the sports....

guttle11
03-28-2007, 11:59 PM
I've said in the Non-Baseball Chatter forum many times that all major Div I programs in Football and Basketball are all dirty on some level. Obviously, some more than others.

Nothing would bring a bigger smile to my face than to see a report about Duke finally getting busted for some NCAA violation.

UC had its problems, I'm sure XU had its problems, and I know my Syracuse Orangemen had their problems back in the 80s and 90s with athletes being given cars from a local dealership.

Fair enough.

And Duke has been implicated in some bad things. I even alluded to it by referencing Myron Piggie. He "confessed" to paying Corey Magette and a few other players, "without Coach K's knowledge.";)

Boss-Hog
03-29-2007, 07:10 AM
If we can't keep this thread free from some of the nastiness towards others that I've seen above, it'll have to be closed.