PDA

View Full Version : The Reds DIDN'T make Dayn Perry's list of teams who won't compete!

Dunner44
03-25-2007, 12:22 PM
The Rays, Orioles, Nats and Royals did...

he only listed 4, so his criteria is a little more stringent than those SI or ESPN knuckleheads who had 7 teams listed, but its a step in the right direction. Perry thinks the Reds will even finish ahead of the Pirates. Oh happy day.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6602762

Falls City Beer
03-25-2007, 12:24 PM
If the Reds played in any other division, they'd be on this list too.

OnBaseMachine
03-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Along with the Cardinals.

Dunner44
03-25-2007, 12:26 PM
ah, don't lose hope before spring training is over. Let them play at least one game that counts before you do that...

Falls City Beer
03-25-2007, 12:28 PM
ah, don't lose hope before spring training is over. Let them play at least one game that counts before you do that...

Lose hope? Don't the Reds first have to build hope before I can lose it?

Wayne had an offseason to improve the team. Did he?

Dunner44
03-25-2007, 12:29 PM

He didn't make them suck any more. Thats an improvement over some previous offseasons for this club.

OnBaseMachine
03-25-2007, 12:30 PM

You obviously didn't get the memo: Everything the Cincinnati Reds do sucks. Every move they make sucks, every win they record is pure luck. They only got lucky in 1919, 1940, 1975 and 76, and 1990.

Dunner44
03-25-2007, 12:31 PM
You obviously didn't get the memo: Everything the Cincinnati Reds do sucks. Every move they make sucks, every win they record is pure luck. They only got lucky in 1919, 1940, 1975 and 76, and 1990. Nothing but luck. Now the St. Louis Cardinals OTOH, they are perfect.

George Grande, I didn't know you posted here! ;)

Falls City Beer
He didn't make them suck any more. Thats an improvement over some previous offseasons for this club.

He didn't replace the lost offense.

Joseph

Doesn't mean we should get our hopes up though. Just because we didn't get worse doesn't mean we got better.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-25-2007, 12:33 PM

Psshaw! Josh Hamilton's ST numbers project to him batting .400 with 50 HR and 200 RBI

Dunner44
03-25-2007, 12:37 PM
I don't know guys...

New hitting and pitching coaches. Could mean either two or three more wins or losses. If Jacoby can really help Dunn, like ST indicates, then thats 3 more wins right there easy.

Griffey to RF means he will hopefully play in a few more games. Thats 5-10 more games with Griff's offense. A couple more wins there.

Aurillia, despite his status as whipping boy, will be missed on offense, but hes the only one. Sure Gonzales is no Lopez when it comes to offense, but FeLo had a career year in 2005, and his errors were unhealthy for the team in 2006. The fact that we have a competent SS could mean a few more wins. And GonZo's bat is no worse than Clayton's.

If Hamilton does even half of what he did in ST, that will be amazing.

I can't remember being more excited about young pitching in a while. Bobby Livingston will be up as soon as Milty is injured (hopefully soon) and that can only improve the team.

Sure, I'm drinking the Kool-Ade hardcore, but its too early in the season to bering in the pessimism.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Sure, I'm drinking the Kool-Ade hardcore, but its too early in the season to bering in the pessimism.

Oh I know, I'm usually optimistic. Sometimes my sarcastic side just won't let me show it though:)

Matt700wlw
03-25-2007, 12:48 PM

They have better arms in camp than they've had in years......I think

RedEye
03-25-2007, 12:51 PM
And GonZo's bat is no worse than Clayton's.

That's a backhanded compliment if I've ever seen one... :eek:

RedFanAlways1966
03-25-2007, 05:16 PM

Personally I'll take a good fielding SS over a good hitting one anyday (Career fielding %: Gonzalez = .970 ; Lopez = .959). To have one that can do both well would be great, but that is hard to find. Of course I would not put FeLo in the class of a being a really good hitter. Would we even call him a "good" hitter? Not so sure. I'd say a decent hitter for a SS. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but the middle is always better served to have your best fielders. I'll take 1/2 as many errors from my SS for .050 less OPS... 8 days a week.

Another part of that "lost offense" has averaged 102 games played per year over the last 4 seasons. To his credit he did play in 150 games last season, which is more games than he played in 2003 & 2004 combined. Will he stay healthy (and in shape) to post his .840 OPS from 2006 for $5 mill this year? I don't know. I wish him well and will only root against him 7 times this year (May 21-24 & July 31-Aug. 2).

Josh Hamilton might be a question. However, to say he might not be a replacement to "lost offense" is not fair to say yet. You don't expect it from a rookie, but he has impressed a few scouts (as read on RZ). And it seems that his fielding/arm don't lose a step when compared to AK.

As I mention from time to time... the "lost offense" was there in May 2006 when the REDS: scored 4.07 runs/game, scored 3 runs or less in a game 16 times in 28 games.

redsmetz
03-25-2007, 06:42 PM

Contrary to what you think, with your wild hair who knows where, yes, he did improve the team, even if only incrementally.

vaticanplum
03-25-2007, 08:41 PM
I will keep saying it until somebody cracks my vinyl: Gonzalez was a notable upgrade for this team.

tripleaaaron
03-26-2007, 01:10 AM
we are also failing to account for the progression of some of our young players, such as Phillips and Ed E, Ed E will develop into a stud power/RBI 3rd basemen, is this the breakout year? and as for phillips he should continue to improve as well, not so much the same as ED E but I think he has star potential, and could be a future leadoff man. I think our offense will be much better than anticipated.

dougdirt
03-26-2007, 01:23 AM
we dont need to replace all the "missing offense". First off, Lopez OPS'd at .727 after he left. Given that Gonzos glove is greatly better, I am positive he will make up the difference with his glove, he will get to 25 more balls than Lopez would have, and make half as many errors, so probably a turn of 35 outs over Lopez. Kearns brought an .810 OPS to the table after he left last season, and while I like Kearns, between Griffey in RF and Freel in CF, the Reds will benefit from more outs being made in the OF, and Griffey will put up similar numbers this year. The growth of Edwin will also help offset losing Kearns.

Scrap Irony
03-26-2007, 01:23 AM
The offense might not be much better, but the improved defense will make the pitchers look much better.