PDA

View Full Version : Asaadorian listed as RHP in Media Guide...

JaxRed
03-25-2007, 12:05 PM
I guess it's happening

tbball10
03-25-2007, 12:23 PM
when i was in sarasota a couple weeks ago, i saw him throwing in the bullpen.

JaxRed
03-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Interesting to see where he starts. My guess is Sarasota.

TC81190
03-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Hope he goes all Coutlangus on us.

icehole3
03-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Give it to me straight guys, who is he?

dougdirt
03-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Asadoorian is a former outfielder in the Reds system. He was a 1st round pick in 1999. He was traded for two Reds in his time, Dustin Hermanson and Estaban Yan before we took him in the 2004 Minor League Rule 5 draft. He had a career .689 OPS in the minors, and last season pitched 4 innings of relief for the Lookouts, allowed 4 hits, no walks and struck out 7. He was apparently throwing in the mid 90s.

Patrick Bateman
03-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Former 1st round OF bust. Always had a good arm and even pitched sparingly last year in blowouts and did quite well.

his hope as a position player was over, and there may still be a slim chance of being a major leaguer with the positional switch.

JaxRed
03-25-2007, 02:06 PM
If you can strike out 7 AA hitters in 4 innings without a walk, without even working as a pitcher, you obviously have something special. In his case I assume it's a fastball. If he can find another pitch he could be a factor very soon.

Chattanooga's pitching coach said his appearances were just as impressive in person as they were in the box score.

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2007, 02:32 PM
If he can find another pitch he could be a factor very soon.

Chattanooga's pitching coach said his appearances were just as impressive in person as they were in the box score.

Word has it he was up in the 94-95 MPH range with his fastball. With that kind of velocity, he could probably make it to the bigs just by adding a change and some type of splitter.

I wouldn't even bother teaching him a curveball.

Superdude
03-25-2007, 02:45 PM
With that kind of velocity, he could probably make it to the bigs just by adding a change and some type of splitter.

Even the change is optional if he can develop a reliable breaking pitch.

jmcclain19
03-25-2007, 08:09 PM
The Reds have had pretty good luck the last two times they tried this with Coutlangus (although his switch was before he became a Red) and Shackelford. I wonder why Mark Schramek never went that route?

camisadelgolf
03-27-2007, 07:22 AM
I think I read somewhere that Asadoorian wanted to prolong the switch to pitching as long as possible in an effort to preserve his arm. I interpreted it as, "He wants to be 100% sure he will not be a Major League outfielder before he tries becoming a pitcher."

15fan
03-27-2007, 09:30 AM
He certainly has the bat to be a pitcher. ;)

In 1999, the Reds picked Ty Howington in round 1. princeton cyberdrafted Aasadoorian. I cyber-drafted Mike MacDougal.

Caveat Emperor
03-27-2007, 01:26 PM
He certainly has the bat to be a pitcher. ;)

As princeton once said "The only thing he knows about pitching is that he can't hit it."

OnBaseMachine
03-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Former Lookouts Outfielder, Rick Asadoorian, Shifts to The Pitcher's Mound

by Tim Evearitt
posted March 28, 2007

Last year manager Jayhawk Owens called upon Rick Asadoorian, a #1 draft pick in 1999 (Boston) and an outfielder, to pitch in relief when the Lookouts were hopelessly behind in games. Asadoorian lit up the radar gun and showed exceptional control for a non-pitcher.

If Rick Ankiel (St. Louis Cardinals) can move from being a pitcher to an outfield prospect, why can't Asadoorian move from the outfield to the pitcher's mound?

It's happened before with positive results.

Longtime Chattanooga fans (1991, 1992) recall that Trevor Hoffman did the same thing. He put down his infielder's glove and took up pitching. The Reds' traded Hoffman to the San Diego Padres, and Hoffman now holds the Major League record for saves.

Asadoorian, who has been in the Reds organization since December 2004 as an outfielder, has officially switched over to a pitcher.

Last season he pitched mop up duties in a total of four innings, allowing 4 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs and had 7 strikeouts. He was hitting the mid 90s on the radar gun… not bad for an outfielder.

No word yet on where he will start but probably at low-A Dayton.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_104411.asp

dougdirt
03-28-2007, 07:34 PM

by Tim Evearitt
posted March 28, 2007

Last year manager Jayhawk Owens called upon Rick Asadoorian, a #1 draft pick in 1999 (Boston) and an outfielder, to pitch in relief when the Lookouts were hopelessly behind in games. Asadoorian lit up the radar gun and showed exceptional control for a non-pitcher.

If Rick Ankiel (St. Louis Cardinals) can move from being a pitcher to an outfield prospect, why can't Asadoorian move from the outfield to the pitcher's mound?

It's happened before with positive results.

Longtime Chattanooga fans (1991, 1992) recall that Trevor Hoffman did the same thing. He put down his infielder's glove and took up pitching. The Reds' traded Hoffman to the San Diego Padres, and Hoffman now holds the Major League record for saves.

Asadoorian, who has been in the Reds organization since December 2004 as an outfielder, has officially switched over to a pitcher.

Last season he pitched mop up duties in a total of four innings, allowing 4 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs and had 7 strikeouts. He was hitting the mid 90s on the radar gun… not bad for an outfielder.

No word yet on where he will start but probably at low-A Dayton.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_104411.asp

I am pretty sure this guy is using my article as a basis for this article. Go to the link and see the bottom of the article

Portions adapted from article on Reds Minor Leagues website.
He also quotes my exact words where I have made things bold above.

jmcclain19
03-29-2007, 04:18 PM

by Tim Evearitt

Oops - might want to check your facts their Mr. Evearitt.

Trevor Hoffman Transactions
June 5, 1989: Drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the 11th round of the 1989 amateur draft; November 17, 1992: Drafted by the Florida Marlins from the Cincinnati Reds as the 8th pick in the 1992 expansion draft; June 24, 1993: Traded by the Florida Marlins with Andres Berumen and Jose Martinez to the San Diego Padres for Gary Sheffield and Rich Rodriguez.

Ravenlord
03-29-2007, 05:01 PM
I wonder why Mark Schramek never went that route?

as i recall, Schramek was actually drafted as a pitcher, but Bowden and friends felt he was the best natural hitter they drafted.

Doc. Scott
03-29-2007, 05:06 PM
as i recall, Schramek was actually drafted as a pitcher, but Bowden and friends felt he was the best natural hitter they drafted.

The Reds picked Schramek as a pitcher in 2001 then as a 3B out of college in 2002. Although I distinctly remember someone else on this site saying that was a typo listing Mark as a RHP in the '01 draft listings.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Mark-Schramek.shtml

Doc. Scott
03-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Word has it he was up in the 94-95 MPH range with his fastball. With that kind of velocity, he could probably make it to the bigs just by adding a change and some type of splitter.

I wouldn't even bother teaching him a curveball.

It's really neat the Reds are going to try their own conversion project. I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

I also look forward to a year or two from now when the Padres try former #1 overall pick Matt Bush (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/Matt-Bush-1.shtml) on the hill.