PDA

View Full Version : Describe Your Baseball Career!!

George Anderson
03-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Tell us the highest level you played baseball at??

I rode the bench my little league years and never had a whole lot of success early on. I ended up however being a late bloomer and was fortunate to play 4 years of High School baseball at Scecina Memorial High School in Indianapolis. My senior year we were a little over .500 team but ended up winning our Sectional which also had two state ranked teams in it. I never considered playing college because I knew I wasnt good enough, I was just pretty satisfied to have played as long as I did.

edabbs44
03-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Played 4 years of HS in New Jersey...I played a few positions throughout my career there (2b, 3b, OF and pitcher) and ended up as the closer my senior year. I went to a very competitive HS here where you had 60 kids per class going out for the team. Highlight was getting the W versus a top 10 team in the state.

Played for about 2 weeks in college and packed it in.

Dunner44
03-25-2007, 09:06 PM
I was lucky to get past Tee Ball. I played some coach's pitch and a little bit beyond that. Never on a good team, always city rec leagues. Played 3B, RF and pitched every now again in practice. I think part of my problem was i needed glasses and never wore them. That put a damper on my pro-career aspirations (there were no asiprations).

I actually went through a period where I didn't even like baseball when I was 14-15, but I became a huge sports fan in high school, mostly the Cincinnati sports, and then love of everyhting else baseball and football came later. Now my friends consider me sports guru and ask my advice... luckly I have you guys to keep my head from balooning up.

reds44
03-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Played about 2 years in high school before tearing my achilles. I've since retired, but I'm still involved with the team.

jmcclain19
03-25-2007, 09:18 PM
I was a back up catcher for a few years in high school. I couldn't hit a breaking ball to save my life, but I always prided myself on being a good defensive catcher. After riding the pine behind a younger, bigger, taller, better player for a year, the choice between doing the same my last year in HS and having a relaxing year goofing around was an easy choice at the time. But I still regret it to this day.

TexRed
03-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Actually need another category in this survey. I grew up in NW Iowa where town team baseball was a big thing. We had a wooden stadium that would probably seat around 2000 people. (Anyone been to Eugene, Oregon for an Emeralds game in the NW League?) Considering the size of the town was around a 1000 that's not bad. Some of us played both high school and town team ball during those summer months. Yes, the uniforms were made of 100% wool in those days and aluminum bats were not in use.

IowaRed
03-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Played high school and then Legion ball. Not good enough to have a realistic shot to play in college. Personal highlight was, as a senior, leading off our first round district game with a home run. We won that one but lost in the second round.

TeamSelig
03-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Played 4 years high school, and 5 legion (started legion when I was 14)

Outfielder mostly, pitched some, and played a little (not much) first base.

Never had any offers from colleges, but I like to think that I have a small, slight chance of walking on, however I missed the tryout date for my school, and lack of playing since my senior year in hs has discouraged me to the point of not trying out again.

Mario-Rijo
03-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Played until high school years (Mickey Mantle League), in organized leagues but never actually high school. Wasn't the most motivated back then.....or all that good, (COF/1B) wish I had been. I tore it up a bit in little league though. I hit some homers and won 2 championships (little lg. and Babe Ruth Lg).

But my career highlight or lowlight if you must was pinning a kid to the CF wall with one heck of a laser line drive. Knocked him out cold!

You know those ole wooden billboards/advertisements for the local business's, pinned him right to it. Line drive right between the eyes (My only career inside the parker, I was a heavy kid).

And after the game his dad come up too me and gave me a 5 dollar bill, and said "I guess he won't be wandering around out there aimlessley ever again, I told him what would happen", That kid had a knot the size of a walnut right between the eyes and on the lower forehead. Me and my friends laughed then of course he wasn't hurt badly, just his pride. To tell the truth I still chuckle about it, I know I am sadistic apparently.

:evil:

Red Leader
03-25-2007, 09:48 PM
I played catcher for 4 years of high school and 2 years in college before a knee injury (and the layoff following) ended my college career. Had a blast the whole time, though and wouldn't change a thing if I had it to do all over again. Did pretty well in a couple Reds and Pirates tryout camps. Made it to the scrimmage in all of them. I was a very good defensive catcher, quick feet and a strong arm. My average release time from home - second was around 1.80-1.90. Gene Bennett, the Reds scout told me I had a major league arm and a high school body. He then proceeded to tell me that "smurfs like [me] don't make it to the major leagues as a catcher."

KronoRed
03-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Softball in elementary school, where I expertly fell flat on my face on a swing once

Decided that was enough for me ;)

RFS62
03-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Little league, 4 years of High School, American Legion, Semipro, 2 years college before I broke my shoulder.

Played and coached a lot of fast pitch and slow pitch softball after college.

thatcoolguy_22
03-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Played 4 years high school, and 5 legion (started legion when I was 14)

this is pretty much my career summed up except i played SS, 2B, and 3rd. I pitched in a relief role throughout highschool. Could not throw anything but a curve and a 78-81 fastball with ZERO movement. I was offered soccer scholarships and went with one of them instead of baseball. We had a guy on our team that was getting a lot of scouts from major league teams. Meaning a lot of scouts saw me play and since they never talked about me i guess...

but soccer :)

HumnHilghtFreel
03-25-2007, 11:54 PM
I played Little League and 2 years in HS before I hurt my knee and hung it up. Played just about every single game at second base. Currently looking for a Columbus area softball league to get my athletic fix lol

pahster
03-26-2007, 12:58 AM
I played four years of high school ball primarily in RF with a little bit of time in CF and at 2B. I was a very good (for a small school) defensive outfielder but a terrible hitter. I had great plate patience but couldn't really put the ball in play because of a severe uppercut (which I've since fixed, unfortunately too late for it to do me much good), so I walked and struck out a lot. I hit just fine in JV, but in varsity I was DHed for most of the time. I think I was something like 1 for 10 with 5 walks and 7 K's career in varsity.

Caveat Emperor
03-26-2007, 01:23 AM
I played little league and some CYO ball. Never tried out for high school ball -- someone put this crazy notion in my head that I should be concentrating on basketball.

To this day, I regret giving the game up -- not because I was any good at it but because it was really the only sport I genuinely enjoyed playing.

gonelong
03-26-2007, 01:55 AM
Only one word fully explains it. Over!

I played 3 years of high school ball, didn't play my Freshman year as I hadn't progressed much from my JR high days. Took and eye exam and realized I couldn't see anything, got glasses/contacts and picked the game back up again.

I didn't play Legion ball though I am pretty sure I could have if I had wanted to. I worked every summer (rather most of the year for that matter) since I was about 12 or so. I can't say I regret it as that money made it possible to make my own way through college and has led me to a pretty good life. OTOH I'll never get another chance to play ball with the skills I had then.

I mostly regret being 1/2 way to an open tryout for the college team and letting one of my buddies talk me out of it. (It was a beautiful day, I think we went golfing instead.) Maybe I'd have made the team and maybe I wouldn't have, but at least I would have known.

GL

Johnny Footstool
03-26-2007, 09:47 AM
There are (so far) 3 major leaguers on RedsZone?

I knew Griffey was goofing off in ST. Trying out that new laptop, Junior?

George Anderson
03-26-2007, 09:53 AM

I think one of the others is Eric Milton reading all the posts from his fans!!:D

NJReds
03-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Hmm...I don't see sandlot. One year of organized little league. Other then that, it was stickball on the schoolyard.

marcshoe
03-26-2007, 11:23 AM
I played club ball when I lived in Australia. I was lousy. (I walked a lot, though, and was hit by a few pitches.)

Krash
03-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Played all thru High School and legion. Normally played SS. I was a very good pitcher until I threw my arm out. Possibly could have pitched small college ball if not for arm troubles.

Still play SS three nights a week...slow pitch softball!

TeamSelig
03-26-2007, 11:28 AM
3 MLB players? We should have made this poll public.

paintmered
03-26-2007, 11:34 AM

If you want to narrow it down by the process of elimination, I'm not one of them. :)

George Anderson
03-26-2007, 11:37 AM

If you dangle enough money out there I am sure Pete will out himself.:D

Red Leader
03-26-2007, 11:51 AM
If you want to narrow it down by the process of elimination, I'm not one of them. :)

And I'm fairly certain you can cross Krono off the list as well... :laugh:

jojo
03-26-2007, 12:06 PM

If it was anybody, it would be Dunn....we should start a new poll to see who people think is most likely be incognito Dunn,,,,

I'll suggest this much-edabbs44 can probably be ruled out from the start.... :D

Then again Dunn is goofy enough to criticize himself just to count the number of posts that defend him.....I could see him taking bets on the number...

Maybe edabbs44 IS Dunn afterall.... :)

:beerme:

MississippiRed
03-26-2007, 12:21 PM
4 years of high school, 5 of Legion ball. Almost always as a catcher, some OF and 3B when older (not better!) catchers were ahead of me. Could hit a little, batted second on a team with a good lead-off hitter, led team in average and RBIs as a HS junior (my OBP was definitely average-based--hated walking). Had no idea what OPS was at the time.

One of many who were "almost good enough to go to college." My HS coach wanted me to try out, but I had a good enough job to pay my way through school, so I did that. Claim to fame: threw out the "fastest guy in Mississippi" trying to steal second (at least he was the 100-yard dash winner that year).

berryluther
03-26-2007, 01:24 PM
I was primarily a pitcherin LL until I was asked to play CF during an All-Star tournament when I made a running over the shoulder catch then slammed into the fence and held onto the ball. I quickly turned into a vaccum for baseballs over the next few years. Then my freshman year of HS I led the conference in HR's 11 and was named all cofernece. That fall I tore my acl and mcl and miniscus playing sand lot football. In 1985 they did not have the technology to reconstruct knees that they do now. My future in baseball was ruined I lost my quick step and burst and was not the same player. I quit after my sophmore season.

I however went on to a pretty successful softball career playing mostly at the B level then 2 years of Major Slow pitch till a mild stroke at the age of 35 ended that career.

zombie-a-go-go
03-26-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm a perennial PS2 MLB all-star.

guttle11
03-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Ugly.

KronoRed
03-26-2007, 01:58 PM
And I'm fairly certain you can cross Krono off the list as well... :laugh:

Brilliant deduction Einstein :p:

Johnny Footstool
03-26-2007, 02:53 PM
If it was anybody, it would be Dunn....we should start a new poll to see who people think is most likely be incognito Dunn,,,,

I'll suggest this much-edabbs44 can probably be ruled out from the start.... :D

Then again Dunn is goofy enough to criticize himself just to count the number of posts that defend him.....I could see him taking bets on the number...

Maybe edabbs44 IS Dunn afterall.... :)

I vote Wheelhouse.

Ltlabner
03-26-2007, 03:10 PM
A buddy of mine and I spent 3 hours last weekend doing long toss, hitting grounders and fly balls to each other, etc.

I learned a few things.

1) Doing this at age 35, after having never lifted a bat since age 13 will leave you sore for 3 days

2) I have pretty good hands and was all over the grounders especially. I was able to get to some balls pretty far to my left, to the right was a little more awkard.

3) I have zero arm strength. I mean zero. A long toss from 2B to 1B is a strech and anything further resulted in a very nice rainbow.

4) Tossing the ball up and hitting it resulted in a lot of sharp grounders and the occasional fly ball. I haven't faced live pitching as yet, although a trip to the batting cage is planned in the next week or two. We'll see what happens.

5) I would be hated on Redszone as a player :)

Johnny Footstool
03-26-2007, 03:32 PM
5) I would be hated on Redszone as a player :)

Depends on your scrappiness.

Jefferson24
03-26-2007, 04:14 PM
I played 1 year of HS until I hurt my rotator cuff. It didn't heal right so I never played again. I still do pretty good in the 80 mph cage though, not bad since I haven't played in 20 years. I'm a little league coach now.

mound_patrol
03-26-2007, 04:45 PM
currently in my third year as a college pitcher at Indiana State University. We have a few future professional players, but I'm most likely not one of them.

Always Red
03-26-2007, 05:08 PM
I played 4 years of high school and American Legion ball and got a few sniffs from UC and XU, who were looking for walk-ons, but never played past high school.

My playing career could be described as one of negative VORP worth punctuated by occasional mediocrity.

jojo
03-26-2007, 05:13 PM
currently in my third year as a college pitcher at Indiana State University. We have a few future professional players, but I'm most likely not one of them.

Yes but baseball has allowed you to travel the world and experience exotic places like Terra Haute!

Oops...scratch that beerme.....you'll be in training of course....

:thumbup:

BoydsOfSummer
03-26-2007, 06:37 PM
I caught a no-no my senior year. Wow could I call a great game!:D

LawFive
03-26-2007, 06:59 PM
I once played kickball. In 3rd grade gym.

jojo
03-26-2007, 07:59 PM
I recently came across this little ditty in Play Baseball the Ripken Way: "Hitting a baseball takes a natural genetic ability. You can call this hand-eye coordination or just plain physical talent, but you must accept that a certain natural ability is required"

That's the first tenant of Cal's hitting philosophy...

The point (i'm not trying to hijack the thread, really, I'm not)? Alot of times on here and other baseball blogs, those of us who are numbers inclined, can reduce a player to his VORP and projected performance. Being a numbers guy myself, I'd argue that it's not an inherently evil thing to do especially within certain contexts/debates. But when comparing guys to the league average (or to a baseline somewhat lower), the truly gifted nature of these guys can be obscured. The worst major leaguer (Willie Bloomquist?) is an incredibly gifted athlete. A replacement level player in fact possesses a truly rare athleticism that is magnitudes above the norm for the rest of the population.... There is no shame in flaming out in low A ball....such a player is already in the 99th percentile....

Like the quote from Bill James that westofyou shared in the OLD RED GUARD recently, "There is no logic to admiring athletes, anyway. It's just arbitrary. It's like admiring people who won the lottery."

So back to the question posed by this thread....we were all major leaguers at heart, it's our parent's fault if some of us weren't major leaguers in actuality. :D

wheels
03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
I played until my Junoir year of high school.

Made varsity as a freshman because I had caught my next door neighbor (who was going to be drafted by the Indians, but decided to go to college instead...Met a girl. No more Baseball) since we were seven. I was his personal catcher, and homered twice in my first game. Wheels has been my nickname since that season. I got it because I was thrown out at first from right field.

Two years later my friend graduated, and I discovered the Dictators.

End of story.

mound_patrol
03-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Yes but baseball has allowed you to travel the world and experience exotic places like Terra Haute!

Oops...scratch that beerme.....you'll be in training of course....

:thumbup:

Terre Haute equals the armpit of the United States. Love waking up in the morning to the fresh Terre Haute stench. Made me appreciate my home in Ohio so much more.

03-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Terre Haute equals the armpit of the United States. Love waking up in the morning to the fresh Terre Haute stench. Made me appreciate my home in Ohio so much more.

How is Omogrosso doing? I saw him pitch last year- he was wild, but he threw hard. You know the that odd acting old guy that seems to have something to do with the team? I saw him at Hulman Center at some basketball games this year too. He said Omogrosso often hit over 95 on the gun. He gave my boy a ball and made his day. We will come to a few games when it gets warmer. That field is butt ugly I think, with the grass outfield and the 70's looking turf infield.

3 years in Terre Haute? Wow- most people get used to the smell here by then. I rarely notice it at all anymore! I agree with you about this city, though. I'm not from here either.

BuckWoody
03-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Ugly.
x2. :(

Wow, three guys made it to the Bigs on here...very interesting if true. You may safely remove my name from any consideration.

RANDY IN INDY
03-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Too short.

redsmetz
03-27-2007, 12:27 PM
I answered "Little League" since I assumed you meant only baseball. I played one year of class C ball because I had asthma (pre-inhaler days) and couldn't exert myself much then. I got on base once, thanks to a catcher dropping a pitch. Otherwise, I was the proverbial lousy right fielder stuck there because I couldn't do anything).

If we're including softball, I played from college age until nearly 50 - a Punch & Judy hitter who finally quit when I got hit with plantar faciaitis (sp?), plus I was playing against kids my own kids age and was tired of looking like a grandpa out there.

MississippiRed
03-27-2007, 01:30 PM
The point (i'm not trying to hijack the thread, really, I'm not)? Alot of times on here and other baseball blogs, those of us who are numbers inclined, can reduce a player to his VORP and projected performance. Being a numbers guy myself, I'd argue that it's not an inherently evil thing to do especially within certain contexts/debates. But when comparing guys to the league average (or to a baseline somewhat lower), the truly gifted nature of these guys can be obscured. The worst major leaguer (Willie Bloomquist?) is an incredibly gifted athlete. A replacement level player in fact possesses a truly rare athleticism that is magnitudes above the norm for the rest of the population.... There is no shame in flaming out in low A ball....such a player is already in the 99th percentile....

Good point, jojo. I was reading in Golf Digest one time and the writer was talking about Seve Ballesteros balancing 4 golf balls, one on top of the other in the palm of his hand. His point: the next time you think you could play on the PGA Tour if you had a lot of practice time and all the free balls you wanted to hit, try balancing just two balls on top of each other in your palm. All of these guys are pretty much special.

Raisor
03-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Played until I was 15. Played on a traveling team that whipped the Canadian Junior National team three straight. Former minor league baseball player/NFL backup QB Billy Joe Holbert was a ringer for us (he was a year too old to play league games with us, but not too old to play out of league games).

Didn't play much my last season, in 1988. I've still got my game notebook at my folks' house. Had a .550 OBP in 50 PA's. 3 hits, but I walked a ton. Also 7 IP no ER in mop up relief. Was the only 15 year old on a team full of 16 and 17 year olds. If I hadn't had moved, probably would have played more the next season. Gave it up after trying out for my HS team after the first practice. I didn't want to run as much as they wanted to run. :)

BuckWoody
03-27-2007, 02:02 PM

If we're including softball, I played from college age until nearly 50 - a Punch & Judy hitter who finally quit when I got hit with plantar faciaitis (sp?), plus I was playing against kids my own kids age and was tired of looking like a grandpa out there.
A couple of seasons ago was my last year for softball. I knew the handwriting was on the wall when we would go shake hands with the other team after the game and they'd say, "Nice game, sir." :(

bounty37h
03-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Played 4 years high school-made varsity as a 3'rd basemen, but was sold on being a catcher-prob bad move for me in the long run. Made all state team my junior year, leading starter over Barry Foote's son (drafted next season by the Braves). Damaged my "career" when my Legion coach wakked in on me and his daughter, only got to dress out one game before that ;(. On top of that, caught my hand in the pitching machine in spring practice my senior year, and was not able to catch most of the season. A college scout gave me no option one game, saying he wouldnt come back if I coudnt play that day, tried to play through it, first pitch hurt so bad I pulled my glove off and told the scout to go f himself. Walked on in college, but didn't stick to it long, didnt respect the coach or the program. played one season of "semi-pro" (and I use that term loosely, even if the locals called it that), and had a decent year, but not great, but shoulder hurt so dang bad, hung up the spikes. Tried to play again 3 summers ago for a local wood bat league, pretty good team with good players, but shoulder didnt like it, so again, announced my second, and final, retirement.

bucksfan
03-27-2007, 04:10 PM
4 years High school. Not the greatest hitter in the world but a good fielder. In fact I was also DH'd for a lot in my senior year. I think I batted .429 though! (3 for 7). We won the Northwest Conference title my senior year.

I'd love to start playing some fast-pitch wiffle ball again though....

pedro
03-27-2007, 04:18 PM
If we're including softball I still play.

Last year I moved from the outfield to second base and don't anticipate switching back. I'm a good hitter but I have no power. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to hit the ball over the outfielders head so I stopped trying.

klw
03-27-2007, 04:24 PM
I pitched as a kid until I hurt my arm my freshman year of high school. After running year round for four years tendonitis ended my track hopes. I then walked on my college baseball team (a small southern Division I college) for the fall season of my sophomore year. Despite having the lowest era on the team (1.21 or something around there) I did not make the spring squad. The spring team stunk so I felt great joy in their ineptitude. I remember my hitting line was 500/500/750 aka 2-4 with a double. :) My only other accomplishment was winning the year end mile race that was part of the physical testing. The coach left after the following season to be an international scout for the Dodgers and, if I remember correctly, the coach of the national team of the Netherlands. I went to India for my junior year and thought about playing again my senior season but decided to play soccer instead.
A year after graduating, I took a morning off from my day job and went to a Reds tryout camp in Charlotte. I hadn't thrown with any regularity in 3 years but it was a fun experience. I got all the batters out that I faced but was told not to quit the day job. Its only been 15 years so maybe they will call. During law school, I toyed with the idea of heading to Florida during the scab tryouts but knew better than to waste the gas money. Would have made for a good story though.

jimbo
03-27-2007, 04:38 PM
I played all the way from peewee ball to all four years of high school ball, including summer leagues during my high school years. I did dress for a couple games for a local two-year college, but I don't really count that as playing college ball. I played the outfield, and was an average hitter for high school. I only hit one home run in my high school career, but 20+ years later I still remember every little detail of it. I was part of some good teams who won a lot of games. I did get an at-bat against Rick White during a tournament game against his Kenton Ridge team. It wasn't a big deal back then, but it's kind of cool now I guess.

George Anderson
03-28-2007, 01:30 AM
I caught a no-no my senior year. Wow could I call a great game!:D

Hate to burst your bubble but Don Werner did the exact same thing;)

I KNOW A LOT
03-31-2007, 12:27 AM
4 years of college...tons of scouts there to see me throw with a torn ulnar collateral ligament aka denorfia....gonna try to play 1 pro game now at 34 years old. live in sarasota-started working out and will be throwing 90 by july 4th. should be interesting- threw 84 today off flat ground at the final reds st game.

Ron Madden
03-31-2007, 03:36 AM
I was no where near as good as Joe but way better than Marty. :D

Redleg39
03-31-2007, 07:40 AM
In my junior of high school. I play for Olentangy Liberty in Powell. I've played travel ball since I was 10, and hope to move on to college ball in a couple of years.

crash54
03-31-2007, 01:06 PM
I played one game of teeball and that was it. I know that the game probably only lasted an hour or two but I swear that I have at least 8 hours worth of memories from the game. It lasted forever! I only got two at bats in the game and grounded out both times. The second time when I got to first base my coach who was at first yelled at me for getting out. Here I am this 5 year old kid and he is yelling at me for grounding out! It was teeball for frak's sake! So I never played baseball again, and didn't become interested in it again until I was in middle school.

George Anderson
03-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Five current or former Major Leaguers are lurking on this site.

hhhhhhmmmmm...... Throw us a bone MLB players. How many years did you play?? Were you a Red???

Always Red
03-31-2007, 06:47 PM
I met one at my office last month; he shall remain unnamed, but he is a local product who had a cup of coffee, after being a high draft choice and being injured soon after the draft (not drafted by the Reds). He showed the four scars, two on his elbow,and two on his shoulder. Very nice guy; it was a pleasure to meet him! No idea if he posts here or not!!