PDA

View Full Version : Any fishermen/women on RZ?

dabvu2498
03-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Yesterday's weather really got me excited about fishing season.

Just wondering if any other RZers were into fishing. If so, perhaps we could collaborate a bit on improving our success so we don't have to tell so many lies.

So... where do you fish? What do you fish for? Any special tips? Equipment advice?

This is the place for general fishing discussion.

As for me, I have a farm pond that I fish quite a bit. There are a few decent sized (10"-14") bass that are in there and always an ample supply of bluegill and crappie. I also have access to a pay lake down the road a bit that stocks monster catfish, although I've never brought one in.

Acton Lake (at Hueston Woods) is also not far for me, but is better if fished from a boat (which I do not have). There are some nice bass there. Ditto Rocky Fork Lake.

Also, some buddies and I try to make one trip a year (didn't make it last year) somewhere to get away and try to catch some monsters, either to Watts Bar, Cumberland or Jones Bluff in Alabama.

Anyway, just wondered if there were any anglers out there interested in sharing some lies.

rdiersin
03-26-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm a fisherman. I had mainly, before leaving South Bend, IN, been fly fishing for steelhead and smallies on the St. Joe river and its tributaries. As a kid in Cincinnati, my dad and I would fish out on White Oak creek with ultralites and catch smallies, some largemouths, and various sunfish. Also, we would fish on the Ohio at Meldahl Dam, which was fun because you would get runs of white bass and really would never know what might be at the end of the line. We would also go to various farm ponds, which would get some bigger largemouths.

Now, I guess I will try the Susquehana and Schuylkill for smallmouth bass and some various trout streams in SE PA. I need to get out soon. :)

Red Leader
03-26-2007, 11:08 AM
I go on a fishing trip every year to my in-laws cottage in Canada. Their cottage is about an hour and a half east of Toronto near a town called Peterborough. Their cottage sits on the Trent River. After several years of getting shut out, I caught some nice sized bass, walleye, and pike two years ago. Last year, I didn't catch much at all, but had several good hits, just couldn't land them. My father in law tells me there are still some huge muskie in there, but I haven't seen anyone catch any. I'll be going back this year the week after the 4th of July. My wife is an expert fisherman(woman). She's been fishing since she could stand. She ALWAYS pulls in the biggest fish. Honestly, she's very, very good. That's who is teaching me. I love fishing and love learning different techniques, etc. I bought her a new Daiwa baitcaster reel and rod for Christmas this past year. She loved it. Looking forward to seeing her use it this year.

redsmetz
03-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Just out of curiosity, with all the questions being posed for lady RZ'ers, is there a move on to figure out who might make a good possible mate? :laugh:

TeamCasey
03-26-2007, 12:10 PM
:wave: Fisherwoman here, although I don't get out as much as I did in New York. The concept of a pay lake is foreign to me.

I prefer small lakes and farm ponds.

I'd like to go deep sea fishing sometime before I kick the bucket.

Red Leader
03-26-2007, 12:14 PM
I have been deep sea fishing numerous times. I love it.

I've caught shark, marlin, and sailfish. Awesome time. It is extremely physically draining. It took me 2 1/2 hours to pull in the shark I caught. I was 17 years old, in the best shape of my life and my body was so stiff the next day I could barely walk. Total adrenaline rush when you get them close to the boat and realize how big the animal is, though. I highly recommend it for anyone.

rdiersin
03-26-2007, 12:19 PM
There are a few decent sized (10"-14") bass that are in there and always an ample supply of bluegill and crappie.

Have you tried fishing them with a fly rod? Before we were married, I would visit my wife on weekends and her apartment had ponds around it, which you could fish. I brought down my 5 weight fly rod, and put little dry flies out there for the bluegill and that was a blast. A great way to introduce yourself to the fly rod. I have only been at it for a little while myself, but it is fun.

Puffy
03-26-2007, 12:21 PM
The girl who I am currently "seeing" - in other words, getting no where fast with - is from a big commercial fisherman family and they want to take me spanish fishing, whatever the heck that is.

Since I want to be more than "seeing" this girl there is a good chance I will be doing a bunch of fishing this summer. It also helps to live on the Gulf of Mexico!

dabvu2498
03-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Have you tried fishing them with a fly rod? Before we were married, I would visit my wife on weekends and her apartment had ponds around it, which you could fish. I brought down my 5 weight fly rod, and put little dry flies out there for the bluegill and that was a blast. A great way to introduce yourself to the fly rod. I have only been at it for a little while myself, but it is fun.

I have never fly fished anything. Would love to try. How much would a decent "starter" fly fishing set up cost me?

Anyone from around here tried to get any of the trout out of Voice of America Park? That might be my goal for the summer.

Puffy
03-26-2007, 12:24 PM
I have been deep sea fishing numerous times. I love it.

I've caught shark, marlin, and sailfish. Awesome time. It is extremely physically draining. It took me 2 1/2 hours to pull in the shark I caught. I was 17 years old, in the best shape of my life and my body was so stiff the next day I could barely walk. Total adrenaline rush when you get them close to the boat and realize how big the animal is, though. I highly recommend it for anyone.

Red Leader pick up lines:

(1) I don't know if you know this, but my dad is a doctor.
(2) Did you know that when I was 17 I was in the best shape of my life and caught a huge shark after fighting with him for two hours. I have him stuffed. Wanna go back to my place and see him?

rdiersin
03-26-2007, 12:25 PM
I have never fly fished anything. Would love to try.

Anyone from around here tried to get any of the trout out of Voice of America Park? That might be my goal for the summer.

Its not as hard as it seems, is all that I can really say. Its an addiction though.

As far as the trout in VOA park, I would guess that you should not wait until summer. Unless it is spring fed, the water temp will get too warm for trout by sometime in June. I've never fished it, though. If you are interested in trout also look for below the dam at Brookville Lake. The tailwaters get stocked every year. Just try not and keep the browns, as they are stocked by Trout Unlimited without help from the Indiana DNR. The rainbows are stocked by the DNR and are pretty much a put and take fishery, so keep them if you want, but the browns can sustain a higher water temp and TU is trying to work on this to see if it is a better option, that might have possibilities for a "wild", if you can call it that, population.

As far as setup goes, it varies. Probably from 50 bucks to who knows what. It really depends on what you want to do with it. You can probably get a cheap Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops kit for bluegill and bass for 50 bucks or so. A great way to learn about it is going to a fly fishing meeting. That's kind of how I got started. I think Buckeye Fly Fishers is supposed to be a good group and they have meetings in Cincinnati. I think fly fishing seems daunting at times, because some of the equipment is so much money, but for a starter kit for bluegill and bass, you don't need the top of the line stuff. As I said I am fairly new, and when I got into it I was going to steelhead and needed sturdier stuff. My setup was Redington combo for 150-200, but that's with a lifetime gaurantee. That's one nice thing about fly rods is that some come with a lifetime gauratee, so even if you run over it with you car, you still might get a new rod. Haven't had to use it yet though. I'm in no way an equipment expert FYI.

Red Leader
03-26-2007, 12:26 PM
The girl who I am currently "seeing" - in other words, getting no where fast with - is from a big commercial fisherman family and they want to take me spanish fishing, whatever the heck that is.

Since I want to be more than "seeing" this girl there is a good chance I will be doing a bunch of fishing this summer. It also helps to live on the Gulf of Mexico!

If she's taking you spanish fishing, you'd better bring the spanish fly!

dabvu2498
03-26-2007, 12:31 PM
As far as the trout in VOA park, I would guess that you should not wait until summer. Unless it is spring fed, the water temp will get too warm for trout by sometime in June. I've never fished it, though.

I'm not sure what the water source would be for that particular lake, but I'm fairly sure it's not a spring.

What would you think would be peak time to get trout in this part of the country?

PS: I know virtually nothing about trout fishing, so any tips would be appreciated.

WebScorpion
03-26-2007, 12:34 PM
If she's taking you spanish fishing, you'd better bring the spanish fly!

Spanish fishing is probably where a bunch of Spanish brothers take their sister's current boyfriend out and use him for bait to catch a 'big one'. :laugh: Be careful! :eek:

rdiersin
03-26-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure what the water source would be for that particular lake, but I'm fairly sure it's not a spring.

What would you think would be peak time to get trout in this part of the country?

PS: I know virtually nothing about trout fishing, so any tips would be appreciated.

See my edit of my previous post. I would guess now to early June. In Michigan, and I think here in PA, people tend to fish until then or maybe July, and then turn their attention to bass or summer steelhead, and then in the fall go back to trout. Rainbow trout, IIRC, like water temps in the 50's, maybe lower 60's. As the water warms up beyond that, the oxygen levels lower and they become sluggish, and if the water temps get into the 70s, they could become more hazardous. Brown trout can survive slightly higher water temps, even into the lower 70's.

RFS62
03-26-2007, 12:44 PM

"Spanish Fishing" huh?

We used to call that a snipe hunt.

dabvu2498
03-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the info rdiersin.

gonelong
03-26-2007, 12:45 PM
I go to the Maumee River to fish for Walleye when the run to spawn in the spring ... generally a one day trip.

I fish for catfish for a few weeks in the spring, mostly at Ft. Loramie or Indian Lake.

I have a May trip where we go to a little lake in SE Ohio to bluegill fish for 4-5 days.

Most of the rest of the year I bass fish.

I took my 3 year old with me fishing yesterday. Didn't catch anything, but thats tough when you have to move every 5 minutes or so since "we didn't catch anything yet". We had a ball anyway and picked up an ice cream cone on the way back.

GL

Puffy
03-26-2007, 12:50 PM
"Spanish Fishing" huh?

We used to call that a snipe hunt.

Was that before or after you witnessed Lee surrendering at Appomattox Courthouse?

rdiersin
03-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info rdiersin.

No problem. Like I said, in trout, I am no expert, especially when it comes to lake/pond fishing for them. However, I would say that if VOA park is like Miami Whitewater, when they stock it with trout, there really is no reason you can't fish anyway you want. Bait will probably work well, especially worms, I imagine since they may resemble nymphs/larva, and they have a scent. Also spinners have always been said to work well for them. A fly rod is not needed for trout (it sometimes seems that way because they seem associated with each other). Its just a fun and more challenging way to fish for them. (Note: Fly rod use may not mean more caught fish, usually the opposite.)

paintmered
03-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Walleye or perch at Lake Erie depending on the time of year.

Haven't been up there in a few years though. :(

rdiersin
03-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Walleye or perch at Lake Erie depending on the time of year.

Haven't been up there in a few years though. :(

I knew that feeling. When I was at my undergrad, I never went fishing. Only later did I find out it had some really good creek smallmouth fishing. Too late.

Jefferson24
03-26-2007, 01:10 PM
I fish for Bass. Caught my first one of the year Friday (3/24) I fish state lakes in Illinois. There is one 15 minutes from me and I fish it 30 times a year or so.

SunDeck
03-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Hey experts, I could use your help.
My kid wants to fish, but I haven't really done much since I was a kid.

I bought him a cane pole and we'll go out in my canoe to see if we can catch some bluegill and other pan fish. Any tips? Bait suggestions? Locations?

Thanks.

dabvu2498
03-26-2007, 01:21 PM

I bought him a cane pole and we'll go out in my canoe to see if we can catch some bluegill and other pan fish. Any tips? Bait suggestions? Locations?

Thanks.

I fish most of the time in the farm pond that's a 10 minute walk from my back door. I bass fish, but while I do this, I set up 2 or 3 cane poles with bobbers with real live worms on the end. I've never had a problem catching 10-12 bluegills an hour if the conditions are right. Makes it enjoyable even if the bass are being stingy.

My advice, find a farm pond that you can use and fish away.

rdiersin
03-26-2007, 01:26 PM

Thanks.

Locations are difficult, since I am not familiar with your area. Are you thinking more along the lines of a lake or a stream with your canoe? In the spring (late spring especially like May) Bluegill are easy to catch along the banks, because they are in their prespawn mode, IIRC. Just about anything work as far as bait. The trick I like most is to use just a worm and a hook, with as little weight as possible to get the bait out and just let it slowly sink. The bluegills will just nail it at times. I believe they will be deeper after the spawning period, I think like June. Also, since they are a warmwater fish they may be deeper now, and more difficult to catch. But come later April and May, they can be a blast, especially in shallow water in ponds/lakes, as the water warms and they are getting ready to spawn. They actually, IIRC, spawn several times a year, so there aren't the problems that accompany other fish.

I agree with Dabvu, farm ponds are the best with kids. Plus, on some, there is always a chance to land a 5lb bass.

LoganBuck
03-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Sundeck, my oldest was old enough last year to go with me. He was four, and we went for bluegill and crappie. Bass fishing is too advanced for him. I bought him a Zebco Batman fishing pole. It is slightly more advanced then the toddler poles you see, but it will float if it goes in the water.

I am in Logan County, and I fish Indian Lake, Kiser Lake, and Lake Loramie. Find some calm channels with some brush/or surface cover. Less competition from other boaters and less chance for young ones to get lines tangled with other lines, but watch the trees. I like to use live minnows for crappie, or wax worms for bluegill. I have to bait the hook for my son if we use minnows because he can't manage to hook a live fish properly. But their is alot of fun that can go with teaching your kids to bait a hook. I will never forget the look on my son's eyes when he caught his first bluegill completely by himself. He was so proud. I took his picture with my camera phone, and it is currently my background picture.

I have always thought that the best part of going fishing with your kids, or your dad is the quiet time, where all there is to do is fish and talk about things.

dabvu2498
03-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Locations are difficult, since I am not familiar with your area. Are you thinking more along the lines of a lake or a stream with your canoe? In the spring (late spring especially like May) Bluegill are easy to catch along the banks, because they are in their prespawn mode, IIRC. Just about anything work as far as bait. The trick I like most is to use just a worm and a hook, with as little weight as possible to get the bait out and just let it slowly sink. The bluegills will just nail it at times. I believe they will be deeper after the spawning period, I think like June. Also, since they are a warmwater fish they may be deeper now, and more difficult to catch. But come later April and May, they can be a blast, especially in shallow water in ponds/lakes, as the water warms and they are getting ready to spawn. They actually, IIRC, spawn several times a year, so there aren't the problems that accompany other fish.

I agree with Dabvu, farm ponds are the best with kids. Plus, on some, there is always a chance to land a 5lb bass.

Also, in my experience, right after a rain (3-4 hours) in the warmer months, bluegill will be real active in 3-5 feet of water in a farm pond.

redhawkfish
04-01-2007, 01:21 AM
I fish Dale Hollow for smallmouth several times a year. When I fish in Ohio I mainly fish East Fork for hybrid stripers and crappie. I plan night fishing trips in the summer around when the Reds are on the West coast so I can listen to the games at the same time.:D

GAC
04-01-2007, 04:06 AM
I fish Dale Hollow for smallmouth several times a year. When I fish in Ohio I mainly fish East Fork for hybrid stripers and crappie. I plan night fishing trips in the summer around when the Reds are on the West coast so I can listen to the games at the same time.:D

I use to be an avid fisherman before I had kids. I loved night/very early morning fishing.... peaceful, quiet, you could hear a pin drop. Just to be able to sit back, relax, and take in nature, was very therapeutic for me.

I was mainly farm ponds and state parks. When I lived over in Columbus I use to love to go to the little burg called Galena, on the northern tip of Hoover Reservoir, when the crappie started running in April. It had an ideal spot under the huge cement bridge for basically setting up a small camp, and protection when it rained.

I've only been crappie fishing on Erie one time in my life. The two guys I went up with though basically "lived" on that lake and knew it well. We hit a couple schools, and it was funny as boats would watch each other, and when they saw someone catching alot, they'd all start coming in and crowding you. I was way over matched. :mooner:

Now that my kids are all high school age, getting ready to graduate, I'm thinking about getting back into it. I always loved it.

Down outside Owensboro, Ky, I have relatives who have a huge farm. Due to there advanced age though, they no longer farm it and rent the land out. Back in the early 70's they expanded one of their farm ponds out to 3.5 acres. He stocked it with bass, blue gill, and catfish. I remember, when in high school, and when I'd go down there to stay a few weeks in the summer, we'd drive into town (this farm is pretty isolated), and get 2 week old baked goods and fill the back of the pickup truck with them to feed the fish. Now that has been 30 years ago. The pond is rarely fished, and even then it was only by my uncle, his son, and a few friends. I've always wanted to go back down there, camp out over the weekend, and fish it after all these years. I had a lot of great times down on that farm.

Falls City Beer
04-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Was that before or after you witnessed Lee surrendering at Appomattox Courthouse?

No, he'd just finished a hard day's work on the Great Pyramid--decided to stroll over to the Nile....

SunDeck
04-01-2007, 11:43 AM

Thanks!
By locations I probably should have explained that I'm interested in knowing what kinds of places to fish- like near the bank, around fallen trees, etc. We will be going either to Lake Monroe, Griffey Lake or Yellow Wood Lake which are all within an easy drive here in Bloomington. I canoe them all a lot and it should be pretty easy to find some spots. I also plan on going here, too.

http://www.ciwclub.org/images/deam%20campsite.jpg

It's a little pond out in the middle of nowhere in the Hoosier NF.

dman
04-01-2007, 02:21 PM
The Ohio Power or AEP ponds out in East/Southeast Ohio are excellent for Bass, large Bluegill, Crappie and numerous others. You have to obtain a permit which is free through AEP's or ODNR's website. It is worth the trip out there. Some of the ponds are really remote, so you'll have to hike a good distance to get to them. Ticks are a plenty in the area so prepare accordingly. One way that I always worked the ponds was with a float tube and some flippers. I have a 7 1/2 pound Largemouth on my wall that I caught out there in 1994.

More Info @ http://www.aep.com/environmental/recreation/recland/requestpermit.htm

Also, if you sign a release of liability, some rock quarries can be fished with a lot of success.

rdiersin
04-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks!
By locations I probably should have explained that I'm interested in knowing what kinds of places to fish- like near the bank, around fallen trees, etc. We will be going either to Lake Monroe, Griffey Lake or Yellow Wood Lake which are all within an easy drive here in Bloomington. I canoe them all a lot and it should be pretty easy to find some spots. I also plan on going here, too.

It's a little pond out in the middle of nowhere in the Hoosier NF.

That's a nice little pond, and would probably be my first choice. As far as spots in ponds and lakes to look for. Look for shallow water (1'-5' of water) bays in late April/May. That's probably the best point to look for. This link may be of help, just when they start talking about what fly to use, think of bait.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/panfish/part55.html

Hope that helps.

dabvu2498
04-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Update: ODNR's first report of the season is available.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/fishing/freport/ohioweekly.htm

OldRightHander
04-04-2007, 11:17 PM
I dabble in it occasionally, usually for bass. I have a canoe that I try to take out as much as possible and on occasion I will take a pole with me. Sometimes I just paddle around and leave the fish alone, but with a canoe you can get into a lot of interesting places. For the most part, the fish feel pretty secure when I'm around.

WVPacman
04-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Im a huge fisherman,my dad and I go atleast once or twice a week when it starts getting warmer.Me and dad went tuesday crappie fishing and caught 61 crappie:).I caought a 13 and a half inch,dad caught a 11 and a half.Had a blast even thow we fished with minnows.

We mainly fish for bass using plastic bait!! we also fish for strippers later in the year when its mainly cold.

RFS62
04-05-2007, 07:11 AM
... we also fish for strippers later in the year when its mainly cold.

I've heard that dollar bills are great bait. Not that I'd know. Just something I've heard.

redhawkfish
04-05-2007, 08:26 AM
I've heard that dollar bills are great bait. Not that I'd know. Just something I've heard.

I have yet to catch a silicone enhanced bass!!:D

WVPacman
04-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I have that same problem redhawk:D

See guys my sig tells the truth I can spell but just can't type!!:beerme: