PDA

View Full Version : The Throw

icehole3
03-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Anyone see it, it was a thing of beauty. Hamilton grabs the ball off the wall and throws a no-hop screaming beebee to second and catchs the runner sliding.

reds44
03-26-2007, 05:22 PM
I missed it. Anybody able to put it on youtube??

It would be appreciated.

adampad
03-26-2007, 05:34 PM
I was in awe. Amazing. Reminds me of some of Vladimirs highlight throws. I was incredible how quick he came up with the ball and turned and fired and freaking GPS guided laser to second.

CaiGuy
03-26-2007, 05:40 PM
It was an amazing throw.

mound_patrol
03-26-2007, 05:49 PM
glad I stayed in my appartment sick today. This was the first I've been able to watch Hamilton, and I came away pretty impressed. Should definitly be our 4th outfielder until proven otherwise

GullyFoyle
03-26-2007, 05:52 PM
The Reds second baseman looked like he had given up on it and was just suspecting a late throw to the base, when all of a sudden the ball was upon him. It was an impressive throw.

BRM
03-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Trent was impressed.

Hamilton went 1-for-3, sending his average down to .400. But he got his SportsCenter highlight -- an absolute bullet from right to get a runner at second in the ninth. Since the Reds were playing the Red Sox, we know the game will get a highlight. Maybe Hamilton will make it. -- CTR

adampad
03-26-2007, 06:28 PM
The Reds second baseman looked like he had given up on it and was just suspecting a late throw to the base, when all of a sudden the ball was upon him. It was an impressive throw.

I think he was trying to deke the runner a little. The guy may have been safe too. Very close play, but a sick throw.

icehole3
03-26-2007, 06:33 PM
I think he was trying to deke the runner a little. The guy may have been safe too. Very close play, but a sick throw.

I thought that as well until they showed it from another angle, it was a exellent tag and he was out by a about a foot.

jojo
03-26-2007, 06:38 PM
I missed it. Anybody able to put it on youtube??

It would be appreciated.

I think FSN is replaying the game this evening.... Hamilton also faces Dice-K...

7pm.... I propose we start a second game thread....

:beerme:

Doc. Scott
03-26-2007, 07:28 PM
It helped that the hitter was Alberto Castillo, a slow-footed, banjo-hitting backup catcher. But that throw was a laser beam no matter how you slice it.

I wonder if ESPN will be interested, though. There wasn't any diving involved, and that's what they care about.

GullyFoyle
03-26-2007, 07:34 PM
ESPN only showed the Dice-K highlights... big surprise.

reds44
03-26-2007, 07:36 PM
They showed liek every out. It was insane.

CRedsLarkin11
03-26-2007, 07:41 PM
That was a tremendous throw, funny thing was I had just told my friends, who didn't know anything about him, how much arm strength he has. Seems like the more I brag on the guy, he one ups my expectations, I really hope he keeps it up

dougdirt
03-26-2007, 07:41 PM
I loved the fact that we wont 5-0, but there was not 1 Reds highlight shown.

marcshoe
03-26-2007, 07:50 PM
It surprised me. I didn't even think about the runner being thrown out, then the ball was there. I thought--wait a minute--this is going to be close....

It completely surprised me.

jojo
03-26-2007, 07:52 PM
I loved the fact that we wont 5-0, but there was not 1 Reds highlight shown.

Yes but what is more compelling, Dice-K or Hanson self-destructing and the score of a game that doesn't count? I'm a Reds fan but if I didn't get to see the game today, I'd rather see Dice-K's stuff.....

reds44
03-26-2007, 08:02 PM
I think FSN is replaying the game this evening.... Hamilton also faces Dice-K...

7pm.... I propose we start a second game thread....

Blacked out here in Northern Illinois. Figures.

lollipopcurve
03-26-2007, 08:43 PM
if I didn't get to see the game today, I'd rather see Dice-K's stuff

Any different from his other starts? Seen plenty on ESPNY and Baseball TwoTeamsTonight already.

kaldaniels
03-26-2007, 08:44 PM
It surprised me. I didn't even think about the runner being thrown out, then the ball was there. I thought--wait a minute--this is going to be close....

It completely surprised me.

Perfect description...I felt the same way watching it. :thumbup:

ncman31
03-26-2007, 09:08 PM
First time I've seen Josh in a Reds uniform. Thank you ESPN!

Way to go Josh

rotnoid
03-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Channel 12 ran the clip at the six o'clock news. I'd bet they replay it at 11. Incredible throw. What a cannon.

Redlegs
03-26-2007, 09:42 PM
I was listening to the game today while working. Josh Hamilton apparently threw a frozen rope from the right field wall to gun down a hitter who thought he had a double. I'm watching the FSN replay now so I can check it out. It happened in the 9th, I think.

jojo
03-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I was listening to the game today while working. Josh Hamilton apparently threw a frozen rope from the right field wall to gun down a hitter who thought he had a double. I'm watching the FSN replay now so I can check it out. It happened in the 9th, I think.

It was a good throw but Deno would've caught the ball..... :cool:

The game is being replayed on FSN and its the sixth inning. You still have time to see Hamilton's throw and his exploding bat....

SirFelixCat
03-26-2007, 09:59 PM
If there is a chance anyone can upload it to google video, it'd be great. Youtube blocked at work. TIA.

KittyDuran
03-26-2007, 10:02 PM
If there is a chance anyone can upload it to google video, it'd be great. Youtube blocked at work. TIA.See if you can pull this up.. someone posted on Trent's blog - it's the link in the next to the last post...

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2007/03/reds-vs-matsuzakas.asp#comments

deltachi8
03-26-2007, 10:09 PM
thanks for posting that kitty - what a rope

Ravenlord
03-26-2007, 10:13 PM
oh my God...that doesn't seem possible...i'm more impressed with how quickly he set up and got the ball from his glove to his hand.

RFS62
03-26-2007, 10:17 PM
oh my God...that doesn't seem possible...i'm more impressed with how quickly he set up and got the ball from his glove to his hand.

Yeah, and his feet slipped on the warning track too.

Very impressive.

Yachtzee
03-26-2007, 10:27 PM
That was quite a throw.

jojo
03-26-2007, 10:30 PM
That was quite a throw.

Yes but he's no Ichiro.... :cool:

reds44
03-26-2007, 11:05 PM
My God, Vladesque.

George Foster
03-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Jeff Brantley said during the play, " uh oh...here we go...watch this....wow...that's why he's going north...and he earned it too.":beerme:

reds44
03-26-2007, 11:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVH9O6q3eDU

It has now been youtube'd.

membengal
03-27-2007, 08:38 AM
This thread makes Steve Phillips want to kick puppies...

Saw it last night off of my tivo of the game. As good as the throw was, so was the fact that he played the ball off the wall spectacularly, taking a difficult hop with ease and turning and firing that laser beam in one smooth motion. Unreal.

Let's just say, for example that Quentin McCracken could not have done that. On his defense alone, he has justified his going north with this team...

lollipopcurve
03-27-2007, 09:50 AM
his exploding bat....

In the interest of fairness, you should also point out (several times, to catch up) that some of Hamilton's non-hits have been ropes.

bucksfan2
03-27-2007, 10:03 AM
There might be 2 others RF who could have made that throw. I think he proved on that thorw you better not run on Josh Hamilton.

RANDY IN INDY
03-27-2007, 10:43 AM
It was a good throw but Deno would've caught the ball..... :cool:

............on the bounce and hit the cut off man.:cool:

That was a seed.

OnBaseMachine
03-27-2007, 10:43 AM
In the interest of fairness, you should also point out (several times, to catch up) that some of Hamilton's non-hits have been ropes.

No kidding. I think Steve Phillips actually posts on this board.

Matt700wlw
03-27-2007, 03:44 PM
I had to wait for the news to see it, since the feed was out for me during the day. It was worth the wait

"holy (expletive)!" I shouted.

Makes Kearns' arm look....well...average....which it's not

jojo
03-27-2007, 03:58 PM

In the interest of "what are you talking about?", his bat exploded didn't it?

Jaycint
03-27-2007, 04:07 PM
In the interest of "what are you talking about?", his bat exploded didn't it?

I'm sure his comment had more to do with the utter sense of glee with which you attack anything positive Hamilton has done this spring.

jojo
03-27-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm sure his comment had more to do with the utter sense of glee with which you attack anything positive Hamilton has done this spring.

Re-examine every post I have posted on the subject of Hamilton and you'll find that I've been both fair and consistent. Assuming you're a quality individual, you'll also offer me an apology for the gross mischaracterization...

jojo
03-27-2007, 04:28 PM

I have a feeling that you've misinterpretted my previous post (the one your post quoted) (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1275023&postcount=24) but for what it's worth, Hamilton's BABIP for '07 ST is .469. I don't think he's been hit unlucky....

Jaycint
03-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Re-examine every post I have posted on the subject of Hamilton and you'll find that I've been both fair and consistent. Assuming you're a quality individual, you'll also offer me an apology for the gross mischaracterization...

Consider none offered. There's about as much chance of that happening as there is of you posting something positive about this ballclub.

Frankly, you haven't been fair with him, you've definitely been consistent, consistently negative, I'll grant you that. Every positive thing he has done has been met with a sour comment from you, of course this is what you do with every facet of the Reds. Frankly it makes me wonder why you follow them at all.

I'll leave it at that in the interest of not catching a banning from the mods. If you wish to continue hi tme up with a PM.

jojo
03-27-2007, 04:45 PM
sigh

coachw513
03-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Let's just say, for example that Quentin McCracken could not have done that. On his defense alone, he has justified his going north with this team...

shredda2000
03-27-2007, 05:10 PM
See if you can pull this up.. someone posted on Trent's blog - it's the link in the next to the last post...

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2007/03/reds-vs-matsuzakas.asp#comments

HOLY SNIKEEEES!!!

Thanks for the link...

bucksfan2
03-27-2007, 05:43 PM
JoJo I have a question for you. I know your are a stats guy and I was wondering if there was any way you could calculate what Hamilton's arm will do for the reds. For example if teams are not going to run on him how many singles does he prevent from being doubles. How many times does he prevent a runner from taking an extra base and how many times does he hold a runner at 3rd. On a ball hit to Hamilton teams will be content getting what they can instead of pressing the matter. There is no other outfield that the reds have that can do this.

jojo
03-27-2007, 08:42 PM
JoJo I have a question for you. I know your are a stats guy and I was wondering if there was any way you could calculate what Hamilton's arm will do for the reds. For example if teams are not going to run on him how many singles does he prevent from being doubles. How many times does he prevent a runner from taking an extra base and how many times does he hold a runner at 3rd. On a ball hit to Hamilton teams will be content getting what they can instead of pressing the matter. There is no other outfield that the reds have that can do this.

It's an interesting point.... just thinking off the cuff:

1. His legs are worth more defensive runs than his arm

2. The value of his arm is going to depend upon whether Hamilton is playing centerfield or rightfield and of course how many defensive outs he logs at either position.

Since he is at best going to be the fourth outfielder(though I still think Deno is going to push him to 5th outfielder because of their bats), I doubt Hamilton's arm is worth more than 2 runs in right or maybe a single run in center field. That's basically .1 or .2 wins which is a negligible benefit (though while chicks dig the long ball, I think the most exciting play in baseball is an outfielder gunning a guy down).

That being said, if Hamilton is primarily a late inning defensive replacement, the 10 runs/win relationship can break down because theoretically the Reds would be using his arm in high leverage situations.... so it's possible his arm could have more of an impact.

So without really doing the math yet, I'd suggest his arm is worth anywhere from .1 win on the low end to 1 win on the high end (if he guns a guy down at home saving a game for instance)...

Team Clark
03-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Yes but he's no Ichiro.... :cool:

Ichiro has a tremendous and accurate arm, BUT what often goes overlooked about his "throw" was the distance. Short RF to 3B. I would safely estimate his throw at 170 ft. max. Great throw, tremendous accuracy but not all that long of a throw. I will say that I have seen him gun guys from longer with just as much velocity. You just never seen them that much on highlight reels.

crazybob60
03-29-2007, 01:52 AM
I had to wait for the news to see it, since the feed was out for me during the day. It was worth the wait

"holy (expletive)!" I shouted.

Makes Kearns' arm look....well...average....which it's not

I was going to say something along the same lines at this, but then I got waaaay busy with work, but in the same instance, how do you think Kearns would have fared in this situation?

Redsland
03-29-2007, 11:46 AM
With a little help from Google Earth, it looks like Josh's throw was about 240 feet.

:eek:

zombie-a-go-go
03-29-2007, 11:58 AM

Completely off topic, but I'd just like to say that as a nickname, "Dice-K" is absolutely ridiculous. It makes the guy sound like a street-level hip-hop artist angling for a recording contract. Or maybe a racecar in a bargain-bin video game. And if I were said artist's agent, the first thing I'd advise him to do would be adopt a new nom de plume.

BoydsOfSummer
03-29-2007, 12:04 PM
I call him Daisyduke. I don't really have a reason.