PDA

View Full Version : Wade Miller over Prior...

coachw513
03-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Per the Associated Press:

MESA, Ariz. -- Manager Lou Piniella made it official Tuesday: Wade Miller will be the Chicago Cubs' fifth starter. It means one-time 18-game winner Mark Prior could start the season in the minor leagues.

"He's going be our fifth starter, OK?" Piniella said of Miller. "He's pitched well in camp. He's earned a spot."

Miller, who had shoulder surgery after the 2005 season with the Boston Red Sox, appeared in five games with the Cubs last season. But this spring he's 2-0 with a 3.63 ERA in five starts. The right-hander was 16-8 and 15-4 in 2001 and 2002 with the Houston Astros.

Prior, meanwhile, has made just three appearances this spring and is 0-2 with a 9.82 ERA, although he pitched well last week, allowing one run in four innings.

Gotta admit, the Cubs don't seem quite as menacing with ole Wade runnin' it out there every 5th day instead of a healthy Prior...

zombie-a-go-go
03-27-2007, 05:38 PM
If Miller can pitch 75% as well as he could before his injury, he's a solid #2 in that rotation.

membengal
03-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Let me see if I have this straight, the Cubs are mothballing an obviously ineffective name pitcher? Hmmmmm. Perhaps the Reds could follow their lead on that...

Reds1
03-27-2007, 07:42 PM
I picked up Miller in fantasy over Looper. It was my last pick so no biggy, but could be high reward. Hermanson not available as he's not on the reds roster yet. that will be a closer I can use.

The_jbh
03-27-2007, 08:22 PM
I've heard whispers that Prior hasn't been able to get it out of the mid 80s all spring

Outshined_One
03-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Prior's got a ways to go before he can go back to his 2003 form. He started out spring training with his fastball in the mid to high 80s, his curveball looking like trash, and no changeup to be found. He's improved since then, as he was clocked in the high 80s/low 90s in his last start, but he's not quite consistent yet.

Long story short, Prior's biggest problem seems to be confidence at this point. Most scouts and coaches who've watched him think that he's holding back, most likely because he's afraid of re-injuring his arm. If it's all in his head, there is reason for hope and for worry. On the one hand, his body has recovered and he has the physical capability to get himself back together. On the other hand, if the guy is a complete headcase, he could pull a Rick Ankiel and go completely down the crapper.

We'll see what happens. Zambrano-Lilly-Marquis-Hill-Miller is a step up from last season for the Cubs. At the very least, no Glendon Rusch is a boost. :D

Highlifeman21
03-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Bronson Arroyo's sure gonna miss Glendon Rusch

KYRedsFan
03-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Prior nor wood have been out of the eighties all spring. You'd have to finally think they're done. The track record from trying to rehab a partial cuff tear is, well, nil.

Sea Ray
03-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Prior nor wood have been out of the eighties all spring. You'd have to finally think they're done. The track record from trying to rehab a partial cuff tear is, well, nil.

If that's the case then we can write off good ol' Eddie Guardado. As I recall he was rehabbing a shoulder tear when his elbow gave out

Jpup
03-29-2007, 01:59 AM
I would give anything if the Reds would go get Mark Prior. He'll be back on top someday IMO.

reds44
03-29-2007, 02:01 AM
I've heard whispers that Prior hasn't been able to get it out of the mid 80s all spring
Living in Chicago, I've seen alot of Prior's starts this spring. I haven't seen him hit about 87. He can't get his curve over at all.

I was a Prior fan, and his fall from grace is devistating to watch. He had some freak injuries (running into Marcus Giles and having a ball hit off his elbow), and I think they scared him. If not, he has just been weak all along.

The thing about Prior is, his last real injury was the ball he too off the elbow. Everything I have seen, read, or heard about him is that he just has normal major league pitchers aches and pains and he can not pitch through them.

Going to AAA with do one of two things. It will either motivate him and give him the mentality of (screw) the world, and he'll get motivated and pitch, or he'll go into a shell and become another "remember that guy?" guy.

It's really a shame to see.

People like to clump him and Wood together, but they really are two totally different cases.