PDA

View Full Version : Pete Roses cheap shot torwards West Virginia!

WVPacman
03-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Did anybody watch Jay Leno monday night?? Well he was on there and he started out with a joke about Leno and his first guest might be brothers b/c of their big chins,Well that ended up getting a big laugh with the crowd.Jay then asked him about the gambling,he asked Pete how many times did he bet.Pete said everygame!! Jay said you betted everynight?? Well Pete tried to make it into a joke and said If I did'nt bet that night then my phone was tore up(then he started laughing.

Well the place went quiet and the people that was there watching the show did'nt laugh at all.Jay looked at Pete and said this comedy can be a B****!! Pete said D*** I was about to think you all was from West Virginia. Now guys that might not sound like much to you guys but I took it that he thinks that West Virginians don't have no personality at all,and West Virginians are stupid.

I don't know if he just got caught up on being on the show and was'nt thinking or he really ment it.I took it that he really ment what he was saying and for me being a big Pete Rose fan for me to here those words come out of his mouth was really dissapointing.

marcshoe
03-28-2007, 01:29 AM
I actually thought worse than you. I assumed it was an inbreeding/everyone's related reference (still about the chin thing).

I also thought that Leno looked uncomfortable when he made the remark. He may have had no idea what Pete meant.

At any rate, this goes back to what I said on the other thread; Pete has no inner censor. If he thinks it, he says it. I grew up with his poster on my wall, but I've come to the point that I just remember who he was when he played and accept the rest.

WVPacman
03-28-2007, 01:37 AM
Tixe,Leno did look very uncomfortable when he said that... He had a look like wow why say something like that.I was just in shock after he said that b/c he said it out of no where.You could be right about the inbreeding comment he might have been meaning that.

It just hurts hearing a great player that was your favorite player come out and say something like that.Im beginning to think were the hof isn't letting him in that he takes it out on everybody else and that isn't right.

dman
03-28-2007, 07:25 AM
I hate to say it, but I don't know where people get off saying this stuff about West Virginia and Kentucky being ripe areas for inbreeding. There are plenty of places in Ohio that would be better candidates for that title.

My family all come from the Logan, Del Barton, and Lenore areas respectively and I can attest that the people I've met down there are far more civil than the people that are from what others consider "more developed" or "more evolved" areas.

Classic case of Pete once again putting his foot in his mouth.

RedsBaron
03-28-2007, 07:54 AM
There are not all that many topics that I am more senstitive to than the ignorant stereotyping of West Virginians. I've heard and read such garbage most of my life. Like much of what Pete Rose has said and done during the wreck he has made of his life during the last few decades, his slur against West Virginians shouldn't have helped his cause in any way.
Rose joking about betting on the Reds everynight was also offensive, although probably at least honest in a way, as it is an indication that, even now, Pete Rose really believes that he didn't do anything wrong.
Hey Pete--my boyhood idol, the guy whose photo I had posted in my room as a kid, the guy I cheered so hard for for two decades--why don't you just shut your mouth and fade away!!!

WMR
03-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Yeah I've always been a pretty stalwart supporter of putting Pete in the HoF, but hearing comments like this against my WV brethren is just about enough to turn me off to him totally. One side of my family came from Pike County, KY, and I'm undoubtedly related to a bunch of WV'ers.

RedFanAlways1966
03-28-2007, 09:00 AM
On the bright side... consider the source. A real intelligent guy making these comments, right? Not IMO and I am sure that opinion is shared by most here. If I had to bet my life savings on who is smarter, Pete Rose or your typical person from WV, my money is on that Mountaineer. No ifs, ands or buts about it. As a matter of fact I'd probably put my money on about 97% of people from WV being smarter than Pete Rose.

gonelong
03-28-2007, 09:41 AM
There are not all that many topics that I am more senstitive to than the ignorant stereotyping of West Virginians. I've heard and read such garbage most of my life.

I actually don't mind when "those guys" make fun of Ohio in such a way. I tend to think that it keeps more of "them" on the coasts which is just fine and dandy with me.

If people really knew what West Virginia had to offer they'd ruin the place in a decade. Be happy they are ignorant, it won't last forever.

GL

macro
03-28-2007, 10:54 AM
If people really knew what West Virginia had to offer they'd ruin the place in a decade. Be happy they are ignorant, it won't last forever.

GL

:clap:

I've said the same thing about The Bluegrass State a few times.

westofyou
03-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Psst... it really doesn't rain in Oregon all the time... we just say that to keep people away.

Sweetstop
03-28-2007, 12:00 PM

Exactly. Don't let the secret out.

They're both beautiful, and w/ the same mix of "the good, the bad and the idgits" as the surrounding states. (and yes, as a person, Pete Rose always has and always will be in the "idgit" category.:rolleyes: )

Like John Denver says..."almost heaven, West Virginia"...the same can certainly be said for my home in the Bluegrass area of KY.
:thumbup:

Degenerate39
03-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Pete just dropped a couple of notches in my book.

redsrule2500
03-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah I'm with you, these "jokes" are rediculous, and nobody stands up to say anything. People will get pissed with other jokes, but this is okay...i don't know, I notice this elsewhere in life and it pisses me off (I'm not from WV, but it's still uncalled for.)

zombielady
03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Oh.. there are jokes like that no matter where you go... I've been known to make a Kentucky joke here and there... and my husband is from WV... you should hear the jokes I make about that...

durl
03-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Northerners love Southerner jokes. Southerners love Northern jokes. East coast/west coast, university against university. Pretty much everyone likes to take a jab at those from other parts of the country and most get a good laugh out of them.

RANDY IN INDY
03-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Pete ought to realize that those people that he just made fun of were some of the best fans that he had during his run in Cincinnati. How many youngsters did I grow up with that mimicked that crouched stance, headfirst slide, and all out hustle? Countless.

Like RedsBaron, I too am very sensitive about the West Virginia references that a lot of people make without giving it a second thought. As I have gotten older, it has bothered me more and more. In this PC society that we live in, it just bites me even more that the WV references just keep on coming. If there is one thing that I have learned, it is this. The people that talk the most usually have the least to say.

creek14
03-28-2007, 04:08 PM
It's not just WV and KY. When I went to college in Illinois, all the jokes were about Wisconsin and Iowa.

It's a regional thing.

What's the difference between a girl from Iowa and the garbage?

At least the garbage gets taken out once a week.

westofyou
03-28-2007, 04:14 PM
It's not just WV and KY. When I went to college in Illinois, all the jokes were about Wisconsin and Iowa.

It's a regional thing.

What's the difference between a girl from Iowa and the garbage?

At least the garbage gets taken out once a week.

Alabama vs Georgia, Washington vs Oregon, east side of Cincinnati vs the West Side, Sharks and Jets... it's everywhere!!

reds1869
03-28-2007, 06:02 PM
I drive around with a West Virginia sticker proudly displayed on my bumper. It ticks me off when people make WV jokes, but any more I just let it roll off.

WVPacman
03-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Guys I know what you mean I to am very senstitive about the WV jokes.Like alot of you guys I have had to go threw my whole life listening to people in public or on tv put down the great state of WV and our people.Like another poster said the older he gets the more angered these comments make me b/c enough is enough already.It needs to stop but I don't look for it to.

RANDY IN INDY
03-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Here's a classic that still happens from time to time.

"Where are you from?"

"West Virginia."

"I had a friend who lived in Virginia once"

There are still people who don't know West Virginia is a state, and that tells you a whole lot about the particular person.

zombie-a-go-go
03-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Goodness.

You'd think it was the end of the world.

Really, should you find yourself overly concerned or irritated by such jokes, ask yourself why it irritates you. Do you feel that the jokester is ridiculing you personally? And if so, why do you value the opinion of someone who would find a joke like that amusing?

Seriously; who cares? Let them make their jokes. They don't define you so much as they define the person making them. If you feel they do define you, you should take a long step back and ask yourself why you let others decide who you are.

I, too, was born and raised in WV, and have heard the same jokes you have. However, I also know who I am, and the WV jokery affects me not in the slightest.

Of course, I also despise Pete Rose, and anything he says that knocks him down a few notches in the opinion of his fanbase is thumbs-up with me. :D

Chip R
03-29-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm sure Greg Rhodes was cringing when he heard that remark. Perhaps some folks who came into town from WV who were going to go see the exhibit in the HOF are now going to bypass it because of a thoughtless remark.

George Anderson
03-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Goodness.

You'd think it was the end of the world.

Really, should you find yourself overly concerned or irritated by such jokes, ask yourself why it irritates you. Do you feel that the jokester is ridiculing you personally? And if so, why do you value the opinion of someone who would find a joke like that amusing?

Seriously; who cares? Let them make their jokes. They don't define you so much as they define the person making them. If you feel they do define you, you should take a long step back and ask yourself why you let others decide who you are.

I, too, was born and raised in WV, and have heard the same jokes you have. However, I also know who I am, and the WV jokery affects me not in the slightest.

Of course, I also despise Pete Rose, and anything he says that knocks him down a few notches in the opinion of his fanbase is thumbs-up with me. :D

I agree, its utterly amazing how thin skinned people are today.

zombie-a-go-go
03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm sure Greg Rhodes was cringing when he heard that remark. Perhaps some folks who came into town from WV who were going to go see the exhibit in the HOF are now going to bypass it because of a thoughtless remark.

Please, Chip; we all know West Virginians don't have televisions, or even electricity! ;)

macro
03-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Psst... it really doesn't rain in Oregon all the time... we just say that to keep people away.

:lol:

I don't think it will work forever.

marcshoe
03-29-2007, 12:55 PM
I know that it was a brief, somewhat enigmatic comment that likely wasn't even noticed by most. And I know that people can be too thin-skinned.

However....

There is a difference in being made fun of by the people on the other side of town or in the next state and being a national joke. And too often, we are a national joke. The result is that we are often viewed a certain way when people find out where we are from. In a recent job I experienced this often, particularly from residents of states that were far away and who had likely never met a West Virginian. Assumptions are made; programmed reactions set in.

This can get very, very old.

When I was in high school (in the seventies), there were still researchers who believed that people from the Appalachians were genetically inferior. Seriously. Our history textbooks featured pictures of poor West Virginians who could possibly be helped by LBJ's "Great Society" programs (again, this was the seventies, proving we needed new textbooks ;) ), and until very recently, any report on the national news from West Virginia was certain to feature the most stereotypical person available.

In the eighties, I worked for a local newspaper. One of the newswriters was from a large city on the east coast. He regularly referred to West Virginians in general as illiterates and fought to have pictures of people riding mules and the like on the front page of the paper every given opportunity. This was typical of West Virginia, he said. I still remember a profile he wrote of a school's valedictorian in which he told me that he thought it was important that people get a picture of her as someone who lives "a mile up a hollow". And no, he wasn't talking about her overcoming adversity; he was talking about the way she was portrayed in the story.

I try not to be too sensitive, but I also can't pretend this isn't a problem. The poverty here is real. Our education system is in need of repair. But when we are constantly portrayed as not having the capability of being better than we are, this grates. It grates bad.

This also affects our view of ourselves in insidious ways. One of the things that holds us back the most is that we become hopeless and feel that we have no say in our destiny. We are poor hillbillies, and we should be satisfied with our station in life.

And so we become satisfied, and the cycle continues.

Sorry for the rant. :)

(btw, I tried not to mention specific states or cities because none of this was directed at anyone here. In spite of my ranting, I'm not particularly upset or offended at the moment. I really just shrugged off Pete's comment; he's like the crazy uncle you kind of overlook. This is just a natural flow.)

SunDeck
03-29-2007, 02:53 PM
In the part of town Pete grew up in, there is a pretty significant Appalachian population and speaking from my own memory, there is a lot of negativity towards the people who came to Cincinnati from WVa, KY, Tenn. It doesn't excuse it, but it just seems par for the course to me for Pete, who isn't the sharpest tack in the box by any stretch. We'd be reaching pretty far if we expected any cultural sensitivity from him.

Yachtzee
03-29-2007, 09:00 PM
I can see how Mountaineers can get a little testy about jokes made at their expense. Cleveland has also been the butt of jokes for many years. Ironically, I think the source of a lot of those jokes are people who were once Clevelanders themselves. Some of the most anti-Cleveland people are people who moved away. Once they move away, they start joking around about what it's like to live Cleveland. Then of course others pick up on that and start thinking it's funny to joke about Cleveland. A Bob Hope makes cracks about Cleveland and suddenly everyone who thinks they're funny jokes about Cleveland. A Drew Carey jokes about Cleveland and again, everyone things it's funny to poke fun at Cleveland.

That being said, I think the best thing is to either politely laugh or ignore it. One day, all those outdoorsy yuppie types will realize that WV is a natural playground and will suddenly want to build resorts there. Having driven through the state many times myself, WV is a lot like Vermont, only less expensive.

bengalsown
03-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Some people need to lighten up...

marcshoe
03-29-2007, 11:26 PM
I can see how Mountaineers can get a little testy about jokes made at their expense. Cleveland has also been the butt of jokes for many years. Ironically, I think the source of a lot of those jokes are people who were once Clevelanders themselves. Some of the most anti-Cleveland people are people who moved away. Once they move away, they start joking around about what it's like to live Cleveland. Then of course others pick up on that and start thinking it's funny to joke about Cleveland. A Bob Hope makes cracks about Cleveland and suddenly everyone who thinks they're funny jokes about Cleveland. A Drew Carey jokes about Cleveland and again, everyone things it's funny to poke fun at Cleveland.

That being said, I think the best thing is to either politely laugh or ignore it. One day, all those outdoorsy yuppie types will realize that WV is a natural playground and will suddenly want to build resorts there. Having driven through the state many times myself, WV is a lot like Vermont, only less expensive.

I agree. And things are getting better. My post wasn't meant to say that I take all of these things personally. I said what I did because it seems that many people don't quite see why we get upset about this stuff, and I understand that.

fwiw, if some of the things said here recently about Terre Haute were said about us, we'd likely get upset about that, too. My father (who was from PA) taught at Indiana State for a little while, and when I went to visit him there, he said the same kinds of things about Terre Haute. There's a natural tendency to do this kind of thing.

WVPacman
03-30-2007, 01:53 AM
I know that it was a brief, somewhat enigmatic comment that likely wasn't even noticed by most. And I know that people can be too thin-skinned.

However....

There is a difference in being made fun of by the people on the other side of town or in the next state and being a national joke. And too often, we are a national joke. The result is that we are often viewed a certain way when people find out where we are from. In a recent job I experienced this often, particularly from residents of states that were far away and who had likely never met a West Virginian. Assumptions are made; programmed reactions set in.

When I was in high school (in the seventies), there were still researchers who believed that people from the Appalachians were genetically inferior. Seriously. Our history textbooks featured pictures of poor West Virginians who could possibly be helped by LBJ's "Great Society" programs (again, this was the seventies, proving we needed new textbooks ;) ), and until very recently, any report on the national news from West Virginia was certain to feature the most stereotypical person available.

In the eighties, I worked for a local newspaper. One of the newswriters was from a large city on the east coast. He regularly referred to West Virginians in general as illiterates and fought to have pictures of people riding mules and the like on the front page of the paper every given opportunity. This was typical of West Virginia, he said. I still remember a profile he wrote of a school's valedictorian in which he told me that he thought it was important that people get a picture of her as someone who lives "a mile up a hollow". And no, he wasn't talking about her overcoming adversity; he was talking about the way she was portrayed in the story.

I try not to be too sensitive, but I also can't pretend this isn't a problem. The poverty here is real. Our education system is in need of repair. But when we are constantly portrayed as not having the capability of being better than we are, this grates. It grates bad.

This also affects our view of ourselves in insidious ways. One of the things that holds us back the most is that we become hopeless and feel that we have no say in our destiny. We are poor hillbillies, and we should be satisfied with our station in life.

And so we become satisfied, and the cycle continues.

Sorry for the rant. :)

(btw, I tried not to mention specific states or cities because none of this was directed at anyone here. In spite of my ranting, I'm not particularly upset or offended at the moment. I really just shrugged off Pete's comment; he's like the crazy uncle you kind of overlook. This is just a natural flow.)

Great post!! I agree with you 110%

RedsBaron
03-30-2007, 08:05 AM

Excellent post. What offends me, and makes me sensitive to such ignorant comments such as the one Rose made, is the damage that those type of comments and jokes can do to the people of this state and their aspirations, especially when thrown out to a national audience as somehow truthfully depicting our people and their culture and abilities.
Part of my reaction also depends upon who the person is, and his or her attitude and motives in making the comment. For example, earlier this week I spent the day with a representative of an insurance company I do work for. During the course of our discussions he mentioned a dental malpractice claim he was handling. I asked if the claim was against a W. Va. dentist. He replied: "No, we don't write dental malpractice coverage in your state as we didn't think anybody there had any teeth." Well I laughed out loud, because (1) I knew it was good natured teasing, (2) his joke wasn't being broadcast all across the nation, (3) I knew that the insurer did write coverage in W. Va. because I've defended several of their insured dentists and (4) he's an Ohio State fan, so he's obviously hopeless anyway.;)
When I mentioned the joke yesterday to one of my partners, another West Virginian, he told me that he understood that toothpaste was invented in West Virginia--if toothpaste had been invented somewhere else it would have been called teethpaste.
So yes, you can joke about my state, depending upon how and when you do it. As the title character said in "The Virginian" when called an S.O.B., "when you call me that, smile."

RANDY IN INDY
03-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Good post, RedsBaron.

RFS62
03-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Yep. You can call your brother ugly, but if someone from outside the family does it, you've got trouble.

We kid each other, but it gets pretty old hearing it from people who have never been to West Virginia or ever met a West Virginian.

If you look at any one of the jokes or insults on its own, it would be easy enough to laugh it off and ignore it. But the sheer volume of years and years of hearing it over and over is what gets to me.

Like most stereotypes, there is some truth in the image. There certainly are poor and ignorant hillbillies in West Virginia. I grew up there so I speak from experience. But there are also a lot of intelligent and normal people, just like anywhere else.

It's just as ignorant as assuming that all New Yorkers are mean-spirited jerks. Some are, hence the stereotype. To imagine that all are is just ignorance.

Prejudice is the most pure form of ignorance.

creek14
03-30-2007, 11:01 AM
All of my relatives are from either Kentucky or West Virginia.

I spent about 2 years in a wheelchair.

What do those two have to do with each other?

Well you think people say bad things about WV and KY, spend some time in a wheelchair. People talk down to you. People talk about you like you can't hear them. People make fun of you. And if they aren't treating you worse than a Geico caveman, you just become invisible.

Pete Rose is an idiot. Lots of people are idiots. Life goes on.

RFS62
03-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Well you think people say bad things about WV and KY, spend some time in a wheelchair. People talk down to you. People talk about you like you can't hear them. People make fun of you. And if they aren't treating you worse than a Geico caveman, you just become invisible.

Wow, I would have never expected that.

zombielady
03-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Most of the Kentucky and WV jokes I've heard.. were from people from Kentucky and West Virginia...

Try being short... or fat... or wear glasses.. or be tall... skinny

Danny Serafini
03-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Sorry, but I couldn't help but think of this thread as soon as I saw this picture:

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/gallery/32907nit2/WVU2.JPG

Be prepared for another round of illiteracy jokes everyone.

marcshoe
03-30-2007, 02:12 PM
I hadn't seen that shirt. Ugh.

What I'm worried about there has to do with the state of Michigan, and it has nothing to do with insults or jokes.

Beilein's buyout is 2.5 million, though. That may keep him at WVU.

Chip R
03-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Sorry, but I couldn't help but think of this thread as soon as I saw this picture:

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/gallery/32907nit2/WVU2.JPG

I couldn't help but think of the title of this thread. ;)

CTA513
03-30-2007, 09:09 PM

Heres one with players wearing the misspelled shirts:

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/6627666_36_2.jpg

RedsBaron
03-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Heres one with players wearing the misspelled shirts:

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/6627666_36_2.jpg

i understand that the shirts were furnished by the NIT (at least I hope so!:) )

marcshoe
03-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Prufreeding cann bea harrd, yu no.

WVPacman
03-31-2007, 01:25 AM
You know what the excuse was for the mistake on the shirt?? They said they was in a hurry b/c the game was about over.(rolleyes)

creek14
03-31-2007, 08:32 AM
People from Virginia should be insulted by those shirts - afterall, West was spelled correctly.

westofyou
03-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Cardinal sin of screen printing. not checking your work prior to production. Who ever had that job is likely looking another one now.

marcshoe
04-03-2007, 12:32 AM
I just read that the shirts were printed in Conneticut....uh, I mean Connecticut. :p:

DTCromer
04-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Hell, all states have their inbreeds. . .some more than others. Except for Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, and the other large cities along the beaches, Florida is country. ALL of Northern FL is farm country. WV and KY just have more than others.

Have you ever seen WVU students? They burn something. . . win or lose.

RFS62
04-03-2007, 05:23 PM

Gosh, if we could all be lucky enough to be as smart as you.

dabvu2498
04-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Gosh, if we could all be lucky enough to be as smart as you.

Lofty goal.

WMR
04-03-2007, 05:28 PM
If you reach a certain negative rep score, are you banned from the site?

Chip R
04-03-2007, 05:43 PM
All right, let's knock off the sniping.

WMR
04-03-2007, 05:47 PM
I meant it as a legitimate question: does reaching a certain negative score disallow forum access?

Chip R
04-03-2007, 05:50 PM
I meant it as a legitimate question: does reaching a certain negative score disallow forum access?

No.

Degenerate39
04-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Hell, all states have their inbreeds. . .some more than others. Except for Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, and the other large cities along the beaches, Florida is country. ALL of Northern FL is farm country. WV and KY just have more than others.

Hey I'll be one of those WVU students after next year. Watch what you say!