PDA

View Full Version : Harang, Arroyo, then pray rain

HotCorner
03-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Hopefully they are seriously considering letting him go.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070328/SPT04/703280360/1078/COL02

Harang, Arroyo, then pray rain
Milton might be pushed back to fifth in Reds rotation

CLEARWATER, Fla. - Reds manager Jerry Narron on Tuesday announced that Aaron Harang will be the Opening Day starter.

That's about as shocking as announcing the sun's coming up today.
But what Narron said about the rest of the rotation was newsworthy - or at least new.

The rotation has been set all spring as Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Eric Milton, Kyle Lohse and the fifth spot.

"Right now, it's going to be Harang and Arroyo," Narron said. "How about that? We've had it all year with Lohse and Milton. We'll see."
By saying that, Narron paved the way to push Milton back to fifth in the rotation.

Milton, a 31-year-old left-hander, has struggled all spring. He's 0-1 with a 6.59 ERA. He gave up five home runs Monday in a six-inning outing against Pittsburgh's Single-A team.

Narron would not say what the order was beyond Harang and Arroyo.
"We're going to have five starters," Narron said. "Exactly what order, we'll let you know."

Again, that opens the way to move Milton down.

If the Reds move Milton to the fifth slot, they'll be able to skip him a couple times in April because they have three off days in the month.

Also, the first start for the fifth starter doesn't come until April 8. That would give Milton a chance to work on whatever has made him ineffective this spring.

It has been set up this spring for Harang to make the start Monday against the Chicago Cubs.

Narron simply told Harang now because ESPN wanted to ask him about Harang on its broadcast.

"He was pretty excited about it - for Aaron Harang," Narron said. "He knew all along this spring that (Opening Day) fell on his day."

Harang will become the first Reds pitcher to start back-to-back openers since Pete Harnisch in 2000 and 2001.

Harang had a bad start on Opening Day last year - he allowed five runs in the first inning in a 16-7 loss to the Cubs - but he went on to have a very good year. He was 16-11 with a 3.76 ERA and led the National League in strikeouts (216) and complete games (six).

That's why Harang is getting the Opening Day start.

"Any time a guy can go out there and give you 200-plus innings - and he's capable of that," Narron said, "you know he's capable of a real big year. It's a matter of how well we play behind him and how many runs we score."
The Reds went 20-15 in Harang's starts last year.

"We have a real good feeling when he's out there," Narron said. "We have a lot of confidence in him that he's going to give us a quality start every time out.

"The big thing is taking the ball every fifth day," Narron said. "He does that. Good things are going to happen."

The opposite can be said about Milton right now.

That's why Narron wasn't willing to reveal the rotation beyond Harang and Arroyo.

shredda2000
03-28-2007, 10:50 AM
A $9 million dollar 5th starter...oh boy! :rolleyes:

kaldaniels
03-28-2007, 11:55 AM

I'm rather have a 9 million dollar Louisville rehab pitcher.

mound_patrol
03-28-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm rather have a 9 million dollar Louisville rehab pitcher.

I'd like to repeat this statement. No point at letting him have the 5th spot. His past numbers show he doesn't deserve it. His spring numbers don't show he deserves a shot. And his future projections don't show he deserves a start. Lets let one of these younger guys fill the role since they've atleast shown some promise.

Ltlabner
03-28-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't mean to be a total grouch, but there are 3 or 4 other Milton threads going already. Do we really need another?

Now..."get off my lawn". :)

BRM
03-28-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't mean to be a total grouch, but there are 3 or 4 other Milton threads going already. Do we really need another?

The more the merrier. :p:

NatiRedGals
03-29-2007, 09:50 AM

Id rather have that then pay him to lose for us:thumbup:

PuffyPig
03-29-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't understand the fascination about the 5th start. The writer even says that they can skip a few Milton starts "if they move him to the 5th spot".

News flash: You can skip any starter's start at any time, it only requires an off day on his scheduled start time. Assuming you aren't going to start any starter on 3 days rest, off days only really help you much if they occur on the day the pitcher you'd like to have miss a start actually is scheduled to start.

Degenerate39
03-29-2007, 02:31 PM
If the pitching staff is worse than we think it'll be then why not let Arroyo pitch on 4 days rest for parts of the year. Not the whole year but maybe every other month have him pitch on 4 days rest or so.

Hey Meat
03-29-2007, 02:39 PM
If the pitching staff is worse than we think it'll be then why not let Arroyo pitch on 4 days rest for parts of the year. Not the whole year but maybe every other month have him pitch on 4 days rest or so.
I don't know if Arroyo is durable enough for that. He showed that last year in July when he had a heck of a time getting to victory number 10.

BCubb2003
03-29-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't understand the fascination about the 5th start. The writer even says that they can skip a few Milton starts "if they move him to the 5th spot".

News flash: You can skip any starter's start at any time, it only requires an off day on his scheduled start time. Assuming you aren't going to start any starter on 3 days rest, off days only really help you much if they occur on the day the pitcher you'd like to have miss a start actually is scheduled to start.

I agree. Is there any difference really if the "No. 3 starter" pitches on Thursday rather than Wednesday? And the same with the "No. 4" and "No. 5"?

George Anderson
03-29-2007, 02:55 PM
I don't know if Arroyo is durable enough for that. He showed that last year in July when he had a heck of a time getting to victory number 10.

Yea but a bad bullpen and lack of run support contributed to Arroyo having trouble getting to ten wins.

klw
03-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Wouldn't it flow better if it was:

Harang, Arroyo and pray for snow.

Ltlabner
03-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Wouldn't it flow better if it was:

Harang, Arroyo and pray for snow.

Dang, that's pretty good KLW.

How about "Harang, Arroyo and then pray for a tornado" ?

Redsland
03-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Harang, Arroyo, and pray for a tornado (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53875&page=2&highlight=tornado).

Matt700wlw
03-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Milton's spring ERA was better than Harang's...

yikes.

:help:

berryluther
03-29-2007, 03:49 PM
I bete Pete would have even bet againstthe Reds if Milton was his starting pitcher.

Tommyjohn25
03-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Welp...looks like Livingston got send down, which means that good ol' Uncle Milty is going north with the club for sure. Better pray for rain, snow, and a tornado all at once on that day.