PDA

View Full Version : Dustin Hermanson?

Benihana
03-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Has he officially been named the closer yet? What do you think the chances are they trade for someone else (like Pineiro) in the next couple weeks?

flyer85
03-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Has he officially been named the closer yet?No ... but it will happen.

What do you think the chances are they trade for someone else? very small.

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 10:50 AM
No ... but it will happen.

very small.

Agreed, and, agreed.

Hermanson will get the ball in the 9th to start the year. How long he keeps the job is up to him.

I do think the Reds might make a move or two either before opening day or early in the season, but I don't think they'll get a sure bet closer in return.

flyer85
03-29-2007, 10:53 AM
I do think the Reds might make a move or two either before opening day or early in the seasongetting rid of Milton and Cormier would be a nice start.

redsmetz
03-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Agreed, and, agreed.

Hermanson will get the ball in the 9th to start the year. How long he keeps the job is up to him.

I do think the Reds might make a move or two either before opening day or early in the season, but I don't think they'll get a sure bet closer in return.

I agree. Any trades will move surplus players, opening up roster slots. Frankly I would prefer any moves now before minor league players to further bolster our system.

TheBigLebowski
03-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Call me a skeptic, but I am somewhat suspicious that Dustin Hermanson may not be Mariano Rivera's reincarnate.

Krusty
03-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Call me a skeptic, but I am somewhat suspicious that Dustin Hermanson may not be Mariano Rivera's reincarnate.

But if he can hold the fort till Guardado is ready by the end of June, I think we'll all be happy.

flyer85
03-29-2007, 12:28 PM
But if he can hold the fort till Guardado is ready by the end of June, I think we'll all be happy.The Reds should be counting on getting nothing out of Guardado this season. He still didn't get his shoulder repaired and the normal time to return to effectiveness after TJ surgery is 18-24 months.

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 12:29 PM
But if he can hold the fort till Guardado is ready by the end of June, I think we'll all be happy.

If Eddie Guardado is ready by the 1st of September, and by ready I mean 100%, I'll be surprised. Expecting him to be ready by the end of June is a tad optimistic, IMO.

KronoRed
03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Have to agree, Eddie won't help this team this year unless a miracle takes place.

chettt
03-29-2007, 01:13 PM
It is Hermanson's job to lose. I believe he will be one of the best cheap finds in all of MLB. (Hamilton has to rate high on that list too.) Who do we compare him to? Graves???? He will be an upgrade as long as he stays healthy.

Always Red
03-29-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm not very optimistic that Eddie will be back this year, and even if he is, there is no guarantee he'll do what he did last year.

Salmon, Burton, Coffey- if Hermie stumbles, I'd put the job up for grabs between those three; with Coffey as my first choice.

flyer85
03-29-2007, 01:43 PM
My guess is that Coffey will eventually take over the role.

Why? He simply has better stuff and command than the rest of the candidates.

dsmith421
03-29-2007, 01:54 PM
I think we're going to see a repeat of last year, bullpen-wise. I suspect that Stanton, Cormier, and Hermanson will stink up the joint for two months before being cut loose. Hopefully Krivsky will trust the players already in the system instead of panicking this time around.

flyer85
03-29-2007, 02:01 PM
While I am not confident in Stanton or Hermanson, at least for the moment they serve a purpose. Cormier, not being a LOOGY, does not.

Ltlabner
03-29-2007, 03:20 PM
While I am not confident in Stanton or Hermanson, at least for the moment they serve a purpose. Cormier, not being a LOOGY, does not.

That's an interesting comment Flyer. What did you mean by that?

coachw513
03-29-2007, 03:28 PM
The Reds should be counting on getting nothing out of Guardado this season. He still didn't get his shoulder repaired and the normal time to return to effectiveness after TJ surgery is 18-24 months.

I couldn't agree more...Everyday Eddie is icing on the bullpen cake...

I'm much less concerned about Hermanson at the moment as I am about Bray's and Maj's health...all trade threads aside, we really need both to have excellent years (Bray especially) if we expect to have consistency at the back end of the rotation...

Redsland
03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
That's an interesting comment Flyer. What did you mean by that?
Flyer isn't here at the moment, so to keep the conversation going until he returns, I checked Cormier's numbers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=2575).

Last year he was substantially better against righties than lefties (.665 OPS vs. .859 OPS). So Flyer might have been suggesting that Rheal isn't a guy you'd want to send out against lefties (the "L" part of LOOGY).

Also last year, Cormier got better the longer he was allowed to pitch. In pitches 1-15, he allowed a .779 OPS. In pitches 16-30, he allowed a .615 OPS. So Flyer might have been suggesting that Rheal isn't the guy to use when you want one out (the "OO" part of "LOOGY).

So if I'm reading Flyer's thoughts correctly, then he's saying not to use Rheal as a LOOGY because he isn't the right type of guy (the "GY" part of LOOGY).

Now, Cormier's three-year numbers are a bit better, but at his age, I'm not sure those are good indicators for what we can expect from him this season. If he can hit his three-year numbers, then Rheal looks like more of a middle innings guy, as opposed to a LOOGY, because from 2004-2006, he got righties and lefties out at about the same clip (.769 vs. .750), and he continued to show some improvement the longer he remained in the game (.771 vs. .729).

Ltlabner
03-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Flyer isn't here at the moment, so to keep the conversation going until he returns, I checked Cormier's numbers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=2575).

Last year he was substantially better against righties than lefties (.665 OPS vs. .859 OPS). So Flyer might have been suggesting that Rheal isn't a guy you'd want to send out against lefties (the "L" part of LOOGY).

Also last year, Cormier got better the longer he was allowed to pitch. In pitches 1-15, he allowed a .779 OPS. In pitches 16-30, he allowed a .615 OPS. So Flyer might have been suggesting that Rheal isn't the guy to use when you want one out (the "OO" part of "LOOGY).

So if I'm reading Flyer's thoughts correctly, then he's saying not to use Rheal as a LOOGY because he isn't the right type of guy (the "GY" part of LOOGY).

Now, Cormier's three-year numbers are a bit better, but at his age, I'm not sure those are good indicators for what we can expect from him this season. If he can hit his three-year numbers, then Rheal looks like more of a middle innings guy, as opposed to a LOOGY, because from 2004-2006, he got righties and lefties out at about the same clip (.769 vs. .750), and he continued to show some improvement the longer he remained in the game (.771 vs. .729).

That's some good stuff Redsland. Thanks. I was getting more at his thoughts on the purpose Stanton and Hermanson serve in the short term, however.

Redsland
03-29-2007, 03:50 PM
That's some good stuff Redsland. Thanks. I was getting more at his thoughts on the purpose Stanton and Hermanson serve in the short term, however.
Hey, I can't read everybody's mind.

:D

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 03:50 PM

So, Cormier's only an "L." He's not an "OO" or a "GY." Good to know.

I was going to say that Stanton and Hermanson serve a purpose for the moment because 1) the roster is always in flux, changes are made and its possible that a better alternative will be brought in later, ie. Bray becomes a better option than Stanton, when healthy. And 2) Stanton and Hermanson aren't THE WORST options for their particular "roles." Cormier is for the "role" the team plans to use him, see numbers Redsland posted (good work, Redsland!)

flyer85
03-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Cormier is unlikely to be very good, is not expected to be near the back of the pen, and is not a LOOGY which really doesn't make him very useful. It seems like there are a number of better choices than Cormier in a middle relief role.

In the end maybe Hermanson and Stanton will be just as bad but for the moment they are slated to be near the back of the pen, which at least makes them important from a role standpoint. Ditch them now and you have to complete reorganize the roles within the pen. May not be the worst thing as April tends to sort those things out anyway.

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Cormier is unlikely to be very good, is not expected to be near the back of the pen, and is not a LOOGY which really doesn't make him very useful. It seems like there are a number of better choices than Cormier in a middle relief role.

In the end maybe Hermanson and Stanton will be just as bad but for the moment they are slated to be near the back of the pen, which at least makes them important from a role standpoint. Ditch them now and you have to complete reorganize the roles within the pen. May not be the worst thing as April tends to sort those things out anyway.

Redsland, I think I was closer. :p:

See posts 8 / 9 in this thread: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55924

I'm a regular mind reader these days...