PDA

View Full Version : When do we cut it down to 25?

reds44
03-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Anyone know?

Joseph
03-29-2007, 01:58 PM
I'd say they will be down to near that today before camp breaks and they head out for the last exhibitions. Just my educated guess though.

OesterPoster
03-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Since 19 teams have made transactions yesterday and already today...and the Reds weren't one of those 19.....well, you'd have to think something is coming this afternoon.

TOBTTReds
03-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Doesn't have to happen til Saturday I think.

mbgrayson
03-29-2007, 02:21 PM
They have split squad games Saturday....after that is my guess.

Danny Serafini
03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
I would guess before the Saturday games just because they've got the exhibition in Dayton that day, and I don't think they'll bring someone up to that if they were going to send him down right afterwards.

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 03:00 PM
I would guess before the Saturday games just because they've got the exhibition in Dayton that day, and I don't think they'll bring someone up to that if they were going to send him down right afterwards.

I agree. I think cuts maybe one or two will be sent out after today's game, maybe another tomorrow and the rest before the games on Saturday.

Anyone know the number the roster is at now?

klw
03-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Maybe they also wait to finalize the last couple of spots to see if Majewski is starting the season on the DL or is strong enough to be active?

OesterPoster
03-29-2007, 03:07 PM
It's started already. From Fay's blog:

Thursday, March 29, 2007
The moves begin

Just walked up to Gary Majewski to ask him about something else. "I just got optioned," he said. "I'll get you after I make this phone call."

More moves are coming.

Hal McCoy just told me he had a 2:45 appointment with Jerry Narron and it just cancelled because they were bringing guys in the office.

posted by John Fay at 1:59 PM 0 comments

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 03:09 PM
So they optioned Majewski to AAA instead of putting him on the major league DL. Interesting...

klw
03-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Maybe they also wait to finalize the last couple of spots to see if Majewski is starting the season on the DL or is strong enough to be active?

Or not.

Ltlabner
03-29-2007, 03:11 PM
So they optioned Majewski to AAA instead of putting him on the major league DL. Interesting...

Wow....don't really know what to think about that. Interesting indeed.

Sorta blows a hole in the thread I just started about what Majewski has to do in 2007 to have a successfull campaign. :laugh:

klw
03-29-2007, 03:12 PM

In a way it makes a lot of sense as it allows him to build his strength up more slowly. With him working in a couple of games this past week he could not have been retroactive on the DL. Is this a sign Burton is heading north?

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Sorta blows a hole in the thread I just started about what Majewski has to do in 2007 to have a successfull campaign. :laugh:

Nah, it just makes it easier. I can answer "get back to the major league team and pitch." :laugh: :laugh:

Ltlabner
03-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Nah, it just makes it easier. I can answer "get back to the major league team and pitch." :laugh: :laugh:

Actually I just posted that exact reponse to my own thread! hahahahah

Redsland
03-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Is this a sign Burton is heading north?
Looks that way.

reds44
03-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Wow Majewski got optioned??? That's an interesting move. It'll be interesting to see if Bray starts the year on the DL. If he does, there won't be one player from the trade on our opening day roster. Also, if Bray does start the year on the DL we could see both Burton and Coutlangus on the OD roster.

Redsland
Is optioning a centerpiece of The Trade proof that Wayne won't let pride cloud his judgment when it comes to the roster?

:pray:

Red Leader
Actually I just posted that exact reponse to my own thread! hahahahah

Weird. I might go home and check my house and see if a hatch exploded. I've been reading minds a lot today...

reds44
03-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Is optioning a centerpiece of The Trade proof that Wayne won't let pride cloud his judgment when it comes to the roster?

I don't think he will. Nothing as shown me that anyways. When it's obvious somebody is sucking, Krivsky does away with him.

Ltlabner
03-29-2007, 03:21 PM

He's not been overerly sentimental about any of 'his guys', or at least not that to the point where it stuck out. During the 'give it a try' days of Yan, Mayes, et al he didn't ride them for far too long before he gave them the boot.

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 03:23 PM
He's not be overerly sentimental about any of 'his guys', or at least not that to the point where it stuck out. During the 'give it a try' days of Yan, Mayes, et al he didn't ride them for far too long before he gave them the boot.

That is a good point. Even a player is "his guy" it doesn't seem like Krivsky continually gives them chance after chance to prove him wrong. He's not afraid to make a change. I like that about him.

IamWallaman
03-29-2007, 03:23 PM

I'm certain he wants the "best" team possible out there. Definitions of best will definately differ but Maj was certainly no part of "best" as it currently stands.

This is the best move he could make with him. He needs to regain his confidence while not getting hammered. That should happen in AAA. (hopefully)

Now... when can we option Milton? :pray: (trade, cut, etc works just as well)

Ltlabner
03-29-2007, 03:25 PM

Better yet, does having the cajones to option the centerpiece of his biggest deal also mean he has the uber-cajones to release his $9,000,000 starting pitcher/batting tee?

Redsland
03-29-2007, 03:27 PM
I believe he does, but I also believe he has to run Eric out there a number of times first.

berryluther
03-29-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't think he will. Nothing as shown me that anyways. When it's obvious somebody is sucking, Krivsky does away with him.

Not true. Milton is still on the roster.

Joseph
03-29-2007, 03:32 PM

<cough>Milton</cough>

Danny Serafini
03-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Anyone know the number the roster is at now?

With Majewski gone it's now 33.

reds44
03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Not true. Milton is still on the roster.
For now, but obviously Milton is a special situation/

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 03:44 PM
With Majewski gone it's now 33.

Thank you, Danny Serafini. :thumbup:

OesterPoster
03-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Make it 32 now. An update at the bottom of Trent's blog.

Livingston, Majewski to Class AAA

Tom Servo
03-29-2007, 03:46 PM
I think Livingston and Majic will both be in Cincy by Mother's Day.

reds44
03-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Make it 32 now. An update at the bottom of Trent's blog.
It's really not 32, though. Looking at the Reds.com roster, there are some guy sthat are sure to be gone.

Hopper
Keppinger
Gil
Elizardo

Those are 4 guys that really have no shot at making it. It's really only 28.

Danny Serafini
03-29-2007, 03:51 PM
I wasn't counting Keppinger in that number because he's been out injured and wouldn't be healthy for Opening Day. Same with Perez and Guardado.

reds44
03-29-2007, 03:53 PM
I wasn't counting Keppinger in that number because he's been out injured and wouldn't be healthy for Opening Day. Same with Perez and Guardado.
Ok, I thought our numbers were off by 1. I didn't include Pere or EddieG either.

So really, it's 29 not 28.

IamWallaman
03-29-2007, 03:59 PM
It's really not 32, though. Looking at the Reds.com roster, there are some guy sthat are sure to be gone.

Hopper
Keppinger
Gil
Elizardo

Those are 4 guys that really have no shot at making it. It's really only 28.

We still have Santos and Hermanson to think about. They're the non-roster invites. Hermanson is almost a lock now...

So we have:
Arroyo
Belisle
Bray
Burton
Coffey
Cormier
Coutlangus
Harang
Hermanson
---Livingston
Lohse
---Majewski
Milton
---Ramirez
Saarloos
Santos
Stanton
Weathers

Moeller
Ross
Valentin

Castro
Conine
Encarnacion
---Gil
Gonzalez
Hatteberg
---Keppinger
Phillips

Denorfia
Dunn
Freel
Griffey
Hamilton
Hopper

35 - 2 today and 3 probables = 30

klw
03-29-2007, 04:06 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

Thursday, March 29, 2007
Breaking news

Lots of it. Jery Narron and Wayne Krivsky just announced the following:

--Chris Denorfia needs "Tommy John" surgery.

--Bobby Livingston and and Gary Majewski were optioned to Louisville.

--Jeff Keppinger, Bill Bray and Elizardo Ramirez go on the DL and will rehab in the Floirda.

--Jerry Gil, Denorfia and Eddie Guardado go on the DL and come north with the team.

--Either Matt Belisle or Kirk Saarloos will be the fifth starter.

--The last position player will be Norris Hopper or Chad Moeller.

--The last relief positions will go to a two of these three: Victos Santos, Jon Courlangus or Jared Burton.

Danny Serafini
03-29-2007, 04:08 PM
That round of cuts brings us to 28. This quote is interesting:

"--The last relief positions will go to a two of these three: Victos Santos, Jon Courlangus or Jared Burton."

Are they saying the loser of the Belisle/Saarloos battle goes to Louisville? Seems like that person would make a good long man in the pen.

Ltlabner
03-29-2007, 04:10 PM
--Either Matt Belisle or Kirk Saarloos will be the fifth starter.

--The last position player will be Norris Hopper or Chad Moeller.

--The last relief positions will go to a two of these three: Victos Santos, Jon Courlangus or Jared Burton.

Well, I guess the first item answers our questions about whether they will release Milton.

I'd say losing Deno might mean they pick Hopper over Moeller. They'd have more depth in the OF for when Jr and Freel get injured and if Hamilton implodes. Then again, there's that bizzare fetish with catchers.

I have to believe they will take Burton and Coutangus over Victor.

BoCcc2832
03-29-2007, 04:42 PM
"The Reds Opening Day roster must be submitted to MLB by 3:00 pm Sunday"

http://presspass.mlb.com/pp_viewer.asp?d=32636

UPRedsFan
03-29-2007, 04:58 PM
That round of cuts brings us to 28. This quote is interesting:

"--The last relief positions will go to a two of these three: Victos Santos, Jon Courlangus or Jared Burton."

Are they saying the loser of the Belisle/Saarloos battle goes to Louisville? Seems like that person would make a good long man in the pen.

That's my question too. If Burton, Santos and Coutlangus are battling for last 2 spots, then who else doesn't make it? The loser of Belisle/Saarloos or Hermanson?

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 05:11 PM
That's my question too. If Burton, Santos and Coutlangus are battling for last 2 spots, then who else doesn't make it? The loser of Belisle/Saarloos or Hermanson?

I believe someone said that with options remaining, some players would be optioned out at the beginning of the year, but that the assignment wouldn't be permanent, they'd only be done so they could reach "their number."

I'm guessing Belisle goes to AAA, Hermanson and Saarloos make the team.

Not sure the other, besides Burton, they'd keep on the roster. That one's a toss up. I'd probably go with keeping Coutlangus.

DoogMinAmo
03-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Crazy question: What is the penalty for being over 25 men on the roster? Is it a forfeit?