PDA

View Full Version : Fay thinks Cormier on block...

coachw513
03-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Cormier deal in the works?
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

That Jon Coutlangus :p: is still on the roster indicates that the club is trying to move veteran left-hander Rheal Cormier.

Cormier makes $2.25 million. The Reds are willing to absorb some of that to facilitate a trade.

Coutlangus :p: 26, has a 3.52 ERA in 10 games this spring. He hasn't given up a run in nine of 10 outings.

He struck out Chase Utley and Ryan Howard with the bases loaded his last time out.

Well, this headline ought to get the RZ'ers off to a good start this morning...

If the Reds were to decide to option either Belisle or Milton as the 5th starter (with them to return on April 8th), wouldn't the numbers suggest Coutlangus makes it???...I really think if Milton struggles again on Saturday they really have to look at him going down to Louisville and being the 5th starter (nothing more than that at this time is realistic)...thus would begin yet another round of "Coutlangus/Pole" puns from the RZ :rolleyes:

WMR
03-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Chopping block?

MaineRed
03-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Can Milton be shipped to AAA? Does he have options left?

Milton to the DL is more likely IMO. They'll invent a problem if he gets pounded again.

Roy Tucker
03-30-2007, 08:13 AM
My hope for a Cormier trade previously was for some semi-promising bullpen or starter help.

Now I think it might be for some OF depth. Which is too bad. I hate to use up that trading chip for something like that.

Heath
03-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Is Jayson Werth of the Phillies "worth" it for the Reds for Cormier?

The Tigers are screaming for left-handed bully arms - how about Marcus Thames or Omar Infante?

I'm just tossing names.

Whoa...dumb thought here - Milton & Cormier to Detroit for Infante and we pick up the tab on Uncle Miltie.

Nahhhhh.....

Where's Krusty When You Need Him??

Chip R
03-30-2007, 09:51 AM
WHat about Reggie Sanders straight up for Cormier? Tell the Royals to forget about the PTBNL.

dfs
03-30-2007, 09:57 AM
With Dino going down, I have to think the reds are seriously shopping for another outfielder. You know Freel and Junior are not going to play 160 games each. You're COUNTING on Josh Hamilton at this point. When one of Freel or Junior goes down, the fourth outfielder is now Jeff Conine. That's an open wound, they need to fill with something.
Maybe Hoper will fill in. Maybe Bubba will be called up and give them some at bats, but right now, they need another outfielder.

kheidg-
03-30-2007, 10:09 AM
WHat about Reggie Sanders straight up for Cormier? Tell the Royals to forget about the PTBNL.

I would go for that trade. The Reds need OF depth with Denorfia down and Hopper questionable. With Griffey and Freel's history of injuries Cormier should be traded for another OF.

WMR
03-30-2007, 10:15 AM
BUBBA Crosby? :puke:

kheidg-
03-30-2007, 10:27 AM
BUBBA Crosby? :puke:

Although I don't like Bubba, he is better than DeWayne Wise.

Roy Tucker
03-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Reggie Sanders.

On an intellectual level, I understand he would provide a veteran bat and probably decent productivity. And a good clubhouse citizen.

But on an emotional level, my brain is forever scarred by the vision of him fanning the breezes and single-handedly destroying the Reds in the 1995 NLCS.

dfs
03-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Given a choice between giving at bats to Jeff Conine, DeWayne Wise or Norris Hopper...Bubba Crosby doesn't look too bad.

That's exactly why the reds should be shopping for another outfielder. Right now, their depth is Josh Hamilton. They need more.

LincolnparkRed
03-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Reggie Sanders.

On an intellectual level, I understand he would provide a veteran bat and probably decent productivity. And a good clubhouse citizen.

But on an emotional level, my brain is forever scarred by the vision of him fanning the breezes and single-handedly destroying the Reds in the 1995 NLCS.

That is actually the only thing I can remember about that entire series, every time I look up there is Reggie Whiffing on some high heat.

WMR
03-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Given a choice between giving at bats to Jeff Conine, DeWayne Wise or Norris Hopper...Bubba Crosby doesn't look too bad.

That's exactly why the reds should be shopping for another outfielder. Right now, their depth is Josh Hamilton. They need more.

Death by hanging, firing squad, electric chair or lethal injection?

Sea Ray
03-30-2007, 11:04 AM
This season will not swing on who the 5th outfielder is although I do agree I'd like to see a better option than Conine. Much more important is how this pitching staff comes together.

dfs
03-30-2007, 11:17 AM
This season will not swing on who the 5th outfielder is..
Right now the reds are counting on getting 1500 plate appearances from some combination of Ryan Freel, Junior and Hamilton. Take one of those guys out for an injury....let Freel wear down....Have Hamilton go Stanley Wilson on the team....and your talking about Playing Conine or Crosby or somebody like that pretty much full time.

That's a problem. They need somebody like Cody Ross.

Heath
03-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Dear God,

Please keep Josh Hamilton away from drugs, alcohol, tattoo parlors, and strip clubs. We need him.

Thanks -
Love,
Reds Fans.

Red Leader
03-30-2007, 11:21 AM
There has to be a decent OF available in trade. There always is this time of year. Others may disagree, but I'd rather take an older veteran OF off of someone's hands with a little higher contract than a younger player with little MLB experience serving currently as someone's 5th or 6th OF now.

The Reds need an OF that's played the game (the right way :lol:) and not someone that's going to learn on the job. They need an experienced player that can step in from time to time, not one that needs to play everyday to get experience.

registerthis
03-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Maybe the Reds can convince Canseco to come out of retirement?

dsmith421
03-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Rickey Henderson could still do a job, I suspect. I'm three-quarters kidding.

MikeS21
03-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Then there's always ... Deon. :devil:

KronoRed
03-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Rickey Henderson could still do a job, I suspect. I'm three-quarters kidding.

Why not? not like he's 50;)

PuffyPig
03-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Right now the reds are counting on getting 1500 plate appearances from some combination of Ryan Freel, Junior and Hamilton.

More like 1000, not 1500.

reds44
03-30-2007, 12:35 PM
We need to trade him for an outfielder before the season starts, he gets hammered, and whatever value he has goes to nothing.

reds44
03-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Then there's always ... Deon. :devil:
:evil:

Puffy
03-30-2007, 01:14 PM
More like 1000, not 1500.

How do you figure?

There are two spots (CF and RF). 162 games. Thats 8.5 at bats per game, give or take. Thats over 1400 right there.

kaldaniels
03-30-2007, 02:19 PM
How do you figure?

There are two spots (CF and RF). 162 games. Thats 8.5 at bats per game, give or take. Thats over 1400 right there.

Never mind :bang:

reds44
03-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Never mind :bang:
:laugh: :laugh:

I saw that. ;)

kheidg-
03-30-2007, 03:12 PM

Tom Servo
03-30-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't know if Cormier would get it done, but Reggie Sanders or Emil Brown from the Royals would be a nice righthanded bat to have. The Rockies have a log-jam of outfielders, and would probably be willing to part with one just to make space.

As far as where Cormier could actually be moved to, the Tigers seems like the most logical fit. I would love to get Thames, but we'd probably have to give up something else unless the Tigers really undervalue Thames.

Red Leader
03-30-2007, 04:11 PM
I think the Indians make an interesting trade partner. IIRC, they have several young OFers in AAA and on the major league team. Almost too many. If they need a LH relief pitcher, that'd be an interesting place to look.

Also, I thought Emil Brown was a LH hitter. No?

BRM
03-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Also, I thought Emil Brown was a LH hitter. No?

Nah, he's a righty.

Red Leader
03-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Nah, he's a righty.

I just looked it up (not that I didn't believe you) and he is, in fact, a RH hitter and thrower. I've always liked his bat. Doesn't get a lot of recognition. I have no idea why KC is planning on platooning him with Ross Gload. What a waste.

BRM
03-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Would I lie to you RL? ;)

The Reds could certainly use his bat right now.

TC81190
03-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Just dumping Cormier and getting to keep Burton, Santos, and Coutlangus all on the roster would be enough. Anything else would be just gravy.

And I'm for the Reggie Sanders trade, although I'm more intrigued by Norris Hopper than most here. He can at least put the bat on the ball.

TC81190
03-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Emil Brown is good too, though I doubt we could bag him for the PTBNL for LaRue. He can't field any better than Stephen Hawking could, also.

DoogMinAmo
03-30-2007, 05:45 PM
I think Puffy and PuffyPig should be forbidden from having a conversation, it makes following it WAY too hard. Or maybe these couple beers are getting to me?

reds44
03-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Mar. 30 News:11:10 AM

The Reds are making efforts to trade Cormier. Cormier makes $2.25 million. The Reds are willing to absorb some of that to facilitate a trade. The emergence of Jon Coutlangus has made Cormier expendable.

Please do.

pedro
03-30-2007, 06:23 PM
I think this goes to show that Krivksy was just hedging his bets to create some depth and competition for slots, not that he is dead set against having some youngsters around.

Doc. Scott
03-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Maybe the Twins might be willing to part with a Denorfiaish OFer like Josh Rabe, who they just sent to AAA, for Cormier?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/Josh-Rabe.shtml

Rabe is, however, projected at .245/.298/.364. Still, big dude with some speed and a little power.

Heck, maybe we could buy low on Lew Ford, who had a really bad '06 but has been very solid in the past.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/F/Lew-Ford.shtml

Ford's PECOTA is .267/.334/.384, but has half (13% versus 26%) the breakout potential of Rabe- he's two or three years older.

I know neither of these two are tremendously exciting, but I'm trying to look at realistic trade targets. ;)

Doc. Scott
03-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Emil Brown packs more punch then guys like Rabe or Ford, but can't play the field or run anywhere near as well. And you know how management values that stuff in their bench players.

Also, if I were the Royals I wouldn't deal Brown for just Rheal Cormier unless there was a prospect in there as well.

mth123
03-30-2007, 07:22 PM
This season will not swing on who the 5th outfielder is although I do agree I'd like to see a better option than Conine. Much more important is how this pitching staff comes together.

Trading Cormier for an OF actually helps in both areas.

Tom Servo
03-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Heck, maybe we could buy low on Lew Ford, who had a really bad '06 but has been very solid in the past.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/F/Lew-Ford.shtml

Ford's PECOTA is .267/.334/.384, but has half (13% versus 26%) the breakout potential of Rabe- he's two or three years older.

I think Ford would be really easy to get and seems like a definate Krivsky kind of player, but he's still injured last I heard. Rabe would be a good target as well, but would probably take a bit more to get.