PDA

View Full Version : The difference between...

coachw513
03-30-2007, 07:35 AM
knowing you're going to be on a major league roster and having to impress to do so...

A quote from Victor Santos in today's Post:

"(Jose) Castillo is a good fastball hitter, I've got him 3-2 with a base open and I threw him a curveball, walked him and got the next guy," Santos said. "Maybe a few years ago, I don't make that pitch. It's 3-2 and I'm throwing it as hard as I can and maybe he hits it out."

Now, if it's Harang or Arroyo or even Milton, do they just go ahead and make their pitch, live with the result and go on???...Santos clearly couldn't afford to let a guy take a hack "just getting his pitches in"...I admit to not having the saavy to know, but I guess I'm hoping that when the bell sounds on Monday that all 3 of those guys are much sharper than they've "appeared" to be...

It's an interesting part of the spring training evaluation process, isn't it???

redsmetz
03-30-2007, 08:21 AM
While I'm not saying that's the case with Milton (who I think is possibly still not healthy - his statements notwithstanding), but I think you're on to something with the other two.

And I think Santos recognizes he's part of a roster crunch (as have several other pitchers). Since he's indicated he's willing to go to Louisville, that helps out and I think he knows it will in all likelihood pay off for him down the line.

I often wonder about such pitching in Spring Training. It's a fine line. I remember Lohse getting pounded recently and said his fastball wasn't working but he kept at it to try to get it in line. In an actual game, I'm think that won't happen.

Didn't you get the feeling that Santos was also giving himself credit for pitching smart (even though the result was a walk) instead of just trying to overpower the batter?

coachw513
03-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Didn't you get the feeling that Santos was also giving himself credit for pitching smart (even though the result was a walk) instead of just trying to overpower the batter?

"By the way boss, I know it looks like I lost my control and walked a lousy hitter, but really it was all about my gameplan to get the next guy" :laugh:

As many times as I saw Arroyo do that last year (he's as "blatant" about that as I've ever seen), I'm coming around to realizing a major league pitcher, even a marginal one, has the ability to truly say "I'm just going to get the next guy because my stuff works on him"...I honestly have never seen a guy just "avoid" matchups the way Arroyo does at various times...but maybe it's cause I only last year got the MLB package and simply watched the Reds more than ever before too...

TOBTTReds
03-30-2007, 09:01 AM
What's with all the Hello Kitty things? Have I missed something? This is about the 5th thread I've seen it in.

And I do think AH, BA, and EM, just about serve it up.

coachw513
03-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Rookie hazing...until the next guy makes the show...I then happily pass them along to the next guy...

I only use them here...ah, the freedom when I post in RL :D

Don't let me catch some guy sneak into ORG and not identify himself... :evil:

jojo
03-30-2007, 09:33 AM
I think it's the difference between "pitching" and "throwing". I think it's more an experience thing than a ST-related thing....

TOBTTReds
03-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Rookie hazing...until the next guy makes the show...I then happily pass them along to the next guy...

I only use them here...ah, the freedom when I post in RL :D

Don't let me catch some guy sneak into ORG and not identify himself... :evil:

Good deal. Glad I missed that part.

Heath
03-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Victor Santos, knowing he's the 26th or 27th man will be in Cincinnati for most of the year anyway.

It's the point of paying Chad Moeller $750K to play in Louisville that I want to see.

coachw513
03-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Good deal. Glad I missed that part.

oh, that's nice...rub it in :help: