PDA

View Full Version : When does a prank cross the line?

HotCorner
03-30-2007, 03:11 PM
My wife called me from work today and told me that a pizza party an employee had won for their company through a radio station (more specifically his department which she works in) was actually an April Fools prank. As she put it, "there are a lot of angry accountants." :laugh:

However this prankster sent out an e-mail through corporate e-mail announcing the party days earlier. Subsequently people made this their lunch plans for Friday only to surprised when they reached the cafeteria to find no lunch.

Did this prankster cross the line of good taste? Also do you think he should get reprimanded since he used corporate email to carry out his prank which violates most companies email policies?

Redsland
03-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Sounds harmless to me, if perhaps a bit juvenile.

durl
03-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Yes, this prank crossed the line. Leaving an entire department hanging with no lunch is a pretty lousy thing to do.

LincolnparkRed
03-30-2007, 03:27 PM
http://www.lostandfrowned.com/milton.gif

Nina: Now Milton, don't be greedy, let's pass it along and make sure everyone gets a piece.
Milton Waddams: Yeah, but last time I didn't receive a piece. And I was told...
Nina: Just pass.
[while the cake passes Milton mutters - eventually everybody but Milton gets a piece]
Milton Waddams: [muttering] I could set the building on fire.

And that wasn't even over pizza

michst
03-30-2007, 03:29 PM
I'd say the prankster will get his just desserts. Sounds fairly harmless, but he definitely lost a lot of credibility and pissing off an entire department is never good. If he has the reputation of a jokester his career will come to a screeching halt and the joke will be on him.

RichRed
03-30-2007, 03:37 PM
When does a prank cross the line?

When it's not funny. And messin' with a man's lunch, that ain't funny.

Roy Tucker
03-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Official reprimand, no.

But I would think the person's manager will have a talk with them. A "don't do that again" with furrowed eyebrow might be in order.

If that happened around here, peer pressure would result in the jokester ordering out pizza for everyone and footing the bill. Ha-ha.

Falls City Beer
03-30-2007, 03:43 PM
My wife called me from work today and told me that a pizza party an employee had won for their company through a radio station (more specifically his department which she works in) was actually an April Fools prank. As she put it, "there are a lot of angry accountants." :laugh:

However this prankster sent out an e-mail through corporate e-mail announcing the party days earlier. Subsequently people made this their lunch plans for Friday only to surprised when they reached the cafeteria to find no lunch.

Did this prankster cross the line of good taste? Also do you think he should get reprimanded since he used corporate email to carry out his prank which violates most companies email policies?

It's March 30th? :confused:

(I know Sunday's April 1st, but come on, dude)

Ltlabner
03-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Always dangerous to try department wide pranks. Chances are good there will be a few folks peppered in there who woln't get it, or get torked off, etc. Even more dangerous to mess with people's food. Always a touchy subject.

That said, pretty juvanile prank to pull. Also dangerous from a carear standpoint.

rotnoid
03-30-2007, 04:20 PM

Sounds like someone's been researching the rules. I'd bet this guy will more than get repaid in the coming weeks. Did he cross the line? That depends on your line. I read on a T-shirt somewhere "It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye," but that's just one definition of the line. I just finished lunch, though. I imagine I'd be more angry if I was hungry.

paintmered
03-30-2007, 04:43 PM
If that happened around here, peer pressure would result in the jokester ordering out pizza for everyone and footing the bill. Ha-ha.

That's what would happen where I work too.

dougdirt
03-30-2007, 04:52 PM
sounds like he needs a pizza dumped all over the inside of his car.

Redsland
03-30-2007, 04:54 PM
So people had to walk all the way to the lunchroom before heading to the elevators for lunch? That's inhuman!

cincy09
03-30-2007, 04:54 PM
sounds like he needs a pizza dumped all over the inside of his car.

thats how i think too :cool:

Unassisted
03-30-2007, 05:00 PM
I think suitable revenge would be for the co-workers to arrange for a delivery driver from every pizza delivery place in town to show up at the wiseguy's desk with a pizza and a bill for the pizza at about 11:30AM on Monday.

SunDeck
03-30-2007, 05:15 PM
I think suitable revenge would be for the co-workers to arrange for a delivery driver from every pizza delivery place in town to show up at the wiseguy's desk with a pizza and a bill for the pizza at about 11:30AM on Monday.

This guy's joke wasn't even halfway clever. If I were his boss I'd strongly suggest that he buy a few pizzas for the department as an apology. But I really like Unassisted's revenge plan, too.

creek14
03-30-2007, 05:20 PM
He should have his butt kicked.

Not cause it was all that mean.

It was just lame.

Of course (no offense to accountants everywhere) but when I think *clever prankster*, I usually don't think accountant.

dsmith421
03-30-2007, 05:20 PM
This guy's joke wasn't even halfway clever.

Exactly, it seems to me that the first rule of executing a prank is to make sure it is funny.

For example, when I was in college I had a friend who was a notorious control freak (to the point of occasional mild paranoia). While he was out of town for the weekend, his roommates broke into his room and turned everything 90 degrees clockwise--from the desk, to the bed, to lined up pairs of shoes, etc. Even the prankee had to laugh at that one.

Falls City Beer
03-30-2007, 05:27 PM
No. Not clever at all. It's like walking up to a co-worker in a crowded break room and kicking him right in the balls full-force.

It has that degree of ingenuity.

pedro
03-30-2007, 05:35 PM
what a moron.

zombielady
03-30-2007, 05:42 PM
He should have his butt kicked.

Not cause it was all that mean.

It was just lame.

Of course (no offense to accountants everywhere) but when I think *clever prankster*, I usually don't think accountant.

Oh, you'd be surprised! My first couple years of college I majored in accounting and those people were the worst (or best, as it were) at practical jokes. Gotta do something or the number will drive you insane... :shocked:

WebScorpion
03-30-2007, 07:10 PM
That dude's lucky I'm not in his department. I'm very serious about eating lunch on time and I get pretty cranky when I don't get fed...if I actually had someone to blame....ooooh! I'd steal the guys lunch for a week. Wherever he went to get his lunch, I'd follow him and take it. I'd prolly start eating it before I walked away. I'd dare him to say something...if he raised a fuss I'd dump it on him. If he touched me, I'd snap his little accountant neck!! :runaway:

Maybe it's time for my sedative again... ;)

MrCinatit
03-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Guy thought that was funny, eh? Is his name Michael Scott?

Take him out to lunch. Make sure someone besides him drives.
Then strand him. That is just as funny and just as original.

Caveat Emperor
03-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Really, I can't believe anyone still plays pranks on people at the office.

The majority of the people out there are just too uptight and self-important to take a joke and you're just as liable to get fired when they complain as you are to generate a laugh.

Hoosier Red
03-30-2007, 09:49 PM
No. Not clever at all. It's like walking up to a co-worker in a crowded break room and kicking him right in the balls full-force.

It has that degree of ingenuity.

Man hit in groin with football, it works on so many levels!

WMR
03-30-2007, 10:23 PM
"OH YEAH?!!?!?! WELL I HAD SEX WITH YOUR WIFE!"

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/vandalrandell/RT/george_costanza020.jpg

George Foster
03-30-2007, 10:52 PM
It's March 30th? :confused:

(I know Sunday's April 1st, but come on, dude)

I thought the same thing...You do April fool jokes on April 1st...not March
30th? :thumbdown