PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Brantly has a "case of the goo" re: Todd Coffey

Cooper
03-30-2007, 03:38 PM
I swear when you hear the guy talk about Coffey he talks about what great stuff Coffey he has, but then he must always cancel out the compliment with a little speach about how Coffey is missing the intanglibles (things that Brantley had, if you asked him). It comes off as being silly and on more than one occasion it bordered on being mystical. As if the great god Closerantheum must come down from the great bullpen in the sky and deem someone "closer". And until that happens, it doesn't matter what kind of stuff you got --well, you not a closer and only a chosen few are deemed have the qualities inherent in a closer.

We are truly blessed to be able to listen to someone bestowed of that mystical quality it takes to be a closer.

westofyou
03-30-2007, 03:43 PM
"Cowboy" should know what one takes to be a crappy starter too I guess, you could probably pin the Brantley as a starter in 1993 as part of the reason the Giants went home with with 103 wins that season.

Ltlabner
03-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Generally I've liked Brantley thus far, but he does come across as a 'know it all' as opposed to making interesting comments about technical aspects of the game.

I'd suspect that will change over time as he gets used to working with Marty and Thom and gets more comfortable. At least, I hope so.

westofyou
03-30-2007, 04:10 PM
I'd suspect that will change over time as he gets used to working with Marty and Thom and gets more comfortable. At least, I hope so.

You must have missed his BBT stint, what a charmer.

Jaycint
03-30-2007, 04:11 PM
I have really enjoyed Brantley so far. I feel like I am actually learning something about the mechanics of the game, pitching in particular, when I listen to him. He gets a passing grade from me at this point.

Cooper
03-30-2007, 04:11 PM
I guess what bothers me --is the grandiosity in which he says it. It would come across better if had some self -deprecating humor splashed in the middle of the speech.

Cooper
03-30-2007, 04:13 PM
So much of what he speaks of as mechanics are really speeches about intangibles (eye roll).

westofyou
03-30-2007, 04:18 PM
I have really enjoyed Brantley so far. I feel like I am actually learning something about the mechanics of the game, pitching in particular, when I listen to him. He gets a passing grade from me at this point.

Well he's not been bad and any change in the booth can't hurt. Jeff just has that barroom swagger in his assertions, it can be grating because he doesn't come off like a guy who could laugh at himself if he was shown to be full of hot air.

dougdirt
03-30-2007, 04:43 PM
I do wonder where he comes up with some of his stuff sometimes. Earlier today he was saying Janish wont make it as a major league starter (first off, he has seen him play what, 10 games in spring training?) and that he needs to learn to play catcher because the only way he sticks in the majors is if he can play SS, 2B and catcher. When was the last time a player was a backup SS/C? I sure dont know of one.

Ltlabner
03-30-2007, 04:46 PM
I do wonder where he comes up with some of his stuff sometimes. Earlier today he was saying Janish wont make it as a major league starter (first off, he has seen him play what, 10 games in spring training?) and that he needs to learn to play catcher because the only way he sticks in the majors is if he can play SS, 2B and catcher. When was the last time a player was a backup SS/C? I sure dont know of one.

Yea, that entire part short stop, part catcher riff totally lost me too.

Big Klu
03-30-2007, 05:16 PM

Dave Cochrane, for the Mariners (1989-92).

Jaycint
03-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Well he's not been bad and any change in the booth can't hurt. Jeff just has that barroom swagger in his assertions, it can be grating because he doesn't come off like a guy who could laugh at himself if he was shown to be full of hot air.

Agreed. He could probably use a little more "I can laugh at myself if proven wrong" personality. Hopefully that will come with time.

Funny thing is I didn't really care for the guy too much on television. Course that coulda been that made for radio haircut.

Handofdeath
03-30-2007, 06:22 PM
I can't take the guy's expertise that seriously. 1 40 save season and 2 20 save seasons. The last one he had a 5.86 ERA and a 1.68 WHIP doing it. Also, gave up 12 homers in 55 IP that year too. He should just keep his mouth shut until someone asks how to throw a gopher ball.

TC81190
03-30-2007, 06:25 PM
He's right. I don't know if Coffey would be able to pitch through a jam in the 9th in a save situation. There is a good deal of pressure involved. Just look at Brad Lidge.

Whether the masses of RedsZone want to believe it or not, guts and fortitude DO play some role in his performance.

jmac
03-30-2007, 11:12 PM

Bravo....sometimes I wonder if there is one announcer out there that would satisfy everyone on this board.
Marty...Joe...Steve..Thom...Jeff...All of these guys have flaws but guess what ?? We all do !
There is no perfect announcer. I realize this board is for discussion but why disect everything these guys say and berail them constantly.
Sometimes Thom sounds like a "lil Marty" and JB says stuff that you may disagree with and Marty is Marty but overall...I have enjoyed this pre-season more than any in a long time listening wise.
Also if you listen to other teams announcers, most have someone that comes across as a know-it-all so to me...it's no big deal.

Falls City Beer
03-30-2007, 11:45 PM
As far as I'm concerned the Reds can hire Mr. Methane to fart the play-by-play; all I care about is that the Reds stop sucking.

LINEDRIVER
03-31-2007, 12:17 AM
He's right. I don't know if Coffey would be able to pitch through a jam in the 9th in a save situation. There is a good deal of pressure involved. Just look at Brad Lidge.

Whether the masses of RedsZone want to believe it or not, guts and fortitude DO play some role in his performance.

I agree with Brantley about Coffey.

Actually, Team Clark and I have been talking about that long before we heard Brantley talk about it. I say Coffey looks like he's just seen a ghost when things get tough. TC says Coffey pitches scared when he is in a jam.

I'm not saying Coffey can't mature into the closer role, he's just not there yet and not even close.

GAC
03-31-2007, 08:10 AM

I like Jeff. Is it really being a "know it all" though, or one who is just speaking from experience? Whether some want to acknowledge it or not, there are a lot of former ballplayers that do know what they are talking about because they did play the game. Obviously not all, but there are plenty out there IMHO.

Candy Cummings
03-31-2007, 11:54 AM
GAC, I don't disagree, they do know lots. However, as in any industry, there are myths that get perpetuated that everyone accepts without question.

In other words, they're smarter than many people think they are, but not as smart as they think they are.

Jpup
04-01-2007, 06:41 AM
Jeff Brantley=Rob Dibble

LINEDRIVER
04-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Seems as if some resent that Brantley comes off as a 'know-it-all' while in his role as a Reds broadcaster. Perhaps that criticism is warranted.

And then again, some folks resist change from what they are used to. If Jeff is a problem for some, is it Brantley being a 'know-it-all' or are we resisting the change from the 'dead air days' and he has yet to be accepted into the pack? Keep in mind that Brantley was hired to provide a former player's slant to the broadcast. We are hearing much more conversation in the broadcast with Brantley filling in what used to be dead air. Castellini came into power and wanted a change in the broadcast booth because Steve Stewart couldn't provide the former player's angle. Our beloved Uncle Joe wasn't providing much of that either, IMO, with gems along the lines of, "Well, you look at something like that and you just gotta say go get 'em tomorrow". I think Brantley is doing a fine job and he'll get better. He's a breath of fresh air and Marty seems to have taken his game up a notch.

Thought I would do some checking up to see if Jeff really experienced enough success as a MLB pitcher to get by with talking about the shortcomings of Coffey or anybody else. I think he has.

Brantley appeared in 14 seasons 1988-2001

career 615 games, 172 saves, 3.39 ERA

1990 NL All-Star with San Francisco Giants

1.56 ERA in 55 games & 86.2 innings with '90 Giants

while with Reds 1994-97 2.64 ERA with 88 saves

led the NL with 44 saves with '96 Reds to win Rolaids Relief Man Award

from 1990-1997
6 season with ERA under 3.00
4 seasons with ERA under 2.50

redsfanmia
04-01-2007, 05:03 PM
I like Brantley as a color man but he is lacking as pbp man, I think he will improve. He is very knowledgable about pitching and I think he has great insights. The man is right about Coffey IMO he does seem to pitch scared. There is nothing wrong with being a good set-up pitcher.

Team Clark
04-01-2007, 05:05 PM
I can't take the guy's expertise that seriously. 1 40 save season and 2 20 save seasons. The last one he had a 5.86 ERA and a 1.68 WHIP doing it. Also, gave up 12 homers in 55 IP that year too. He should just keep his mouth shut until someone asks how to throw a gopher ball.

I guess the year he won the Rolaids Relief award doesn't count. :laugh: Jeff's done it and done it well. He's also sucked and knows the difference. He pitched with a torn rotator cuff to try and help his team. Coffey hasn't accomplished a great deal as of yet. Not his fault because he hasn't been around very long. He had a great start to a season last year until he made ZERO adjustments, tried to force his pitches into the zone and became a hitting tee. That happens. Not unexpected.

I read that ridiculous article about Coffey "ooozing" confidence this spring. I "ooooze" confidence every time I step up to a tee box but I still slice and play like crap. Coffey is a very good middle reliever and emergency closer. Maybe in another two or three years he could put it all together and be a top notch closer. Time will tell. He still pitches scared and even to the average Joe looks like a deer in the headlights with the bases loaded. He's still relatively inexperienced and is going through all the trials and tribulations of a young reliever. I'd love to see Coffey have Burtons set of ****'s.

Cooper
04-01-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm sure when Coffey succeeds it'll be because he's not pitching "scared" anymore --of course if he struggles it will be because he still scared.

How bout this: i think it's his left ankle crossing over too soon in his motion, if he gets that straightened out he'll be ready. I'll let you know when that happens.

Team Clark
04-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm sure when Coffey succeeds it'll be because he's not pitching "scared" anymore --of course if he struggles it will be because he still scared.

How bout this: i think it's his left ankle crossing over too soon in his motion, if he gets that straightened out he'll be ready. I'll let you know when that happens.

:laugh: If that is the case then we'll be back to the "fire the pitching coach' threads.

Cedric
04-01-2007, 08:31 PM

Comparing that to confidence is a tiny leap.

GAC
04-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Jeff Brantley=Rob Dibble

That's an insult. I ran into Dibble at Redsfest. And he is just as big a horse's ass in person as he is on TV. He was the only ex-Red I saw there that night that had to walk around with a security detail/entourage as if he were someone really important..... or afraid someone would want to kick his butt. :mooner:

Chip R
04-01-2007, 09:47 PM
I was talking to a friend last night who had just recently came back from ST. He said he had been hanging around the minor league complex and he happened to see Brantly. Evidently Brantly has "a case of the goo" about Homer Bailey as well. He said that Homer doesn't listen to anyone and he always wants to blow everyone away. Take it for what it's worth.

Cooper
04-02-2007, 03:00 PM
How many guys does he "have" to listen to(o)? I think you could make a case that there are an awful lot of players who listen to a goodly number of folks --too many folks. And that kind of listening can be a detriment to success. A good case could be made that when the LFer is struggling -he listens to waaaay too many folks who offer up advice (often conflictual advice). He's coachable, but too many former players giving advice can be a problem.

When i think about my work place, there's anawful lot of advice being given -my guess is 50% of it is wrong-and at the very least 30% of it is in conflict with other advice being given.

Would Mr. Brantley rather be a pitching coach? It sure as heck sounds like it.

15fan
04-02-2007, 03:16 PM
If I was in charge, I'd fire all of the broadcasters and announcers.

Then I'd pay whatever it took to get Melissa Theuriau to do the broadcasts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1G-3laJJP0

The video feed would be a split screen. The game would be on one half, Melissa would be on the other half, and there would be subtitles in English at the bottom of the screen.

Or maybe I'd just scrap the subtitles. And the game video.

:cool:

Handofdeath
04-02-2007, 06:18 PM
I guess the year he won the Rolaids Relief award doesn't count. :laugh: Jeff's done it and done it well. He's also sucked and knows the difference. He pitched with a torn rotator cuff to try and help his team. Coffey hasn't accomplished a great deal as of yet. Not his fault because he hasn't been around very long. He had a great start to a season last year until he made ZERO adjustments, tried to force his pitches into the zone and became a hitting tee. That happens. Not unexpected.

I read that ridiculous article about Coffey "ooozing" confidence this spring. I "ooooze" confidence every time I step up to a tee box but I still slice and play like crap. Coffey is a very good middle reliever and emergency closer. Maybe in another two or three years he could put it all together and be a top notch closer. Time will tell. He still pitches scared and even to the average Joe looks like a deer in the headlights with the bases loaded. He's still relatively inexperienced and is going through all the trials and tribulations of a young reliever. I'd love to see Coffey have Burtons set of ****'s.

I'm just really busting the guy's b****. He was a fairly good pitcher. I don't like pompous blowhards...except me.:evil:

Team Clark
04-02-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm just really busting the guy's b****. He was a fairly good pitcher. I don't like pompous blowhards...except me.:evil:

:laugh: I figured. FWIW, your my favorite blowhard. :evil: