PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: Milton will NOT pitch today

Matt700wlw
03-31-2007, 12:34 PM
He was scratched due to "back soreness." Lohse will start.

Hmmmm....a possible "DL" stint could be coming.

(I have no link..you just have to trust me :))

Tommyjohn25
03-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Oooh....interesting to say the least. Good lord do I hope he doesn't make a single start for the Reds this year.

Tom Servo
03-31-2007, 12:35 PM
The plot thickens...

Matt700wlw
03-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Whatever it takes....that sounds harsh, but it's true.

pedro
03-31-2007, 12:38 PM
please be packing your bags for detroit! please!

reds44
03-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Hello DL!

LINEDRIVER
03-31-2007, 12:59 PM
It is NOT possible that Detroit would have any interest in Milton. I believe he's physically ailing therefore Milton pitching in the major leagues defies every principle of winning baseball. Why would Jim Leyland wreck what he has built?

Matt700wlw
03-31-2007, 01:00 PM
It is NOT possible that Detroit would have any interest in Milton. I believe he physically ailing therefore Milton pitching in the major leagues defies every principle of winning baseball. Why would Jim Leyland wreck what he has built?

That wouldn't be our problem :D

LINEDRIVER
03-31-2007, 01:01 PM
I doubt Kriv wants to be accused of peddling damaged goods after the JimBo/Majewski debacle of last season.

Matt700wlw
03-31-2007, 01:04 PM
I doubt Kriv wants to be accused of peddling damaged goods after the JimBo/Majewski debacle of last season.

The "DL stint" may be his only way to avoid the debacle that has become Eric Milton.

You have to remember, he didn't sign him....he's stuck with him, financially.

LINEDRIVER
03-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Matt,

I'm interested in knowing IF the Reds regular season broadcasts will contain that 2nd-inning visit with the sportswriters this year. I think it's a major waste of time and an insult to my intelligence. ha ha

I would be all for it if Hal McCoy were the only invited guest. He comes prepared with notes/something to talk about. The other two guys would show up with a 'why do I have to do this' attitutde and the discussion on the color of one's sweater or socks would eat up too much time.

MartyFan
03-31-2007, 01:07 PM
It is NOT possible that Detroit would have any interest in Milton. I believe he physically ailing therefore Milton pitching in the major leagues defies every principle of winning baseball. Why would Jim Leyland wreck what he has built?

Right...Leyland built it the same way Sweet Lou has built the Cubs. Leyland is a good manager but does he scout, negotiate and sign players and their moves?

Matt700wlw
03-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Matt,

I'm interested in knowing IF the Reds regular season broadcasts will contain that 2nd-inning visit with the sportswriters this year. I think it's a major waste of time and an insult to my intelligence. ha ha

I would be all for it if Hal McCoy were the only invited guest. He comes prepared with notes/something to talk about. The other two guys would show up with a 'why do I have to do this' attitutde and the color of one's sweater or socks would eat up to much time.

I'm pretty sure it will....with C Trent taking the place of The Godfather

I guess we'll know Monday :D

cincy09
03-31-2007, 01:16 PM
The plot thickens...

This could be the news we've been waiting for all spring.....

Would they go with Belisle and Saarloos or would they want a lefty and go with Livingston?

Matt700wlw
03-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Belisle will make the squad....so will Saarloos...

Don't forget about Burton....I really doubt they want to give him back to Oakland....

Milton who?

cincy09
03-31-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm pretty sure it will....with C Trent taking the place of The Godfather

I guess we'll know Monday :D

Hasn't he been dubbed the "Consigliere"?

jojo
03-31-2007, 01:18 PM
please be packing your bags for detroit! please!

Detroit has better options in A ball....

LINEDRIVER
The "DL stint" may be his only way to avoid the debacle that has become Eric Milton.

You have to remember, he didn't sign him....he's stuck with him, financially.

I get all that. I'm hoping Milton will admit to being hurt. I dont think he can be that bad and be healthy.

IF Milton is to be on the active 25 man roster on Monday, JerrNarr will show me if he has big ---- if he tells Milton that he's the 5th starter. JerrNarr showed me big ---- by taking the Junior situation by the horns and putting him in RF.

JerrNarr said a week ago that Milton is not suited for the 5th starter role because he doesnt have experience of coming out of the pen on occassion. So what Milton doesnt have experience at coming out of the pen in a mopup role which is a mess that the 5th starter sometimes has to clean up. When you suck, life's a *****. If he's afraid and doesn't know what to do, Humey can hold his hand.

If I come to realize that Milton is 1-8 at Memorial Day and we lose the Division Championship by 2 or 3 games, I'm gonna go crazy!! lol

dougdirt
Matt,

I would be all for it if Hal McCoy were the only invited guest. He comes prepared with notes/something to talk about. The other two guys would show up with a 'why do I have to do this' attitutde and the color of one's sweater or socks would eat up to much time.

The post offers a new beat writer this year, so he will be new to the game.

Matt700wlw
03-31-2007, 01:20 PM
I get all that. I'm hoping Milton will admit to being hurt. I dont think he can be that bad and be healthy.

IF Milton is to be on the active 25 man roster on Monday, JerrNarr will show me if he has big ---- if he tells Milton that he's the 5th starter. JerrNarr showed me big ---- by taking the Junior situation by the horns and putting him in RF.

JerrNarr said a week ago that Milton is not suited for the 5th starter role because he doesnt have experience of coming out of the pen on occassion. So what Milton doesnt have experience at coming out of the pen in a mopup role which is a mess that the 5th starter sometimes has to clean up. When you suck, life's a *****. If he's afraid and doesn't know what to do, Humey can hold his hand.

If I come to realize that Milton is 1-8 at Memorial Day and we lose the Division Championship by 2 or 3 games, I'm gonna go crazy!! lol

Can't say I disagree....and I would go nuts too if they lose a playoff spot by a couple games that Milton didn't have to lose for them.

I'd rather lose with a young guy who had a good spring (potential) than an Eric Milton that has only proven he can't win since coming to this team.

LINEDRIVER
03-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Right...Leyland built it the same way Sweet Lou has built the Cubs. Leyland is a good manager but does he scout, negotiate and sign players and their moves?

I know what you mean but the Tiger's GM is not going to dump Milton in Leyland's lap. I would have to think that Leyland has some major input in what players come, stay, or go.

MartyFan
03-31-2007, 01:27 PM
I agree...I can't see Detroit picking up someone like Milton at all...I also think that Special K, Jerry and Mr. C are considering what to do with Milton...addition by subtraction...DL him. Get him healthy...I agree there is no way that he can be healthy and be this bad.

Redskinalum02
03-31-2007, 01:56 PM
Matt,

I would be all for it if Hal McCoy were the only invited guest. He comes prepared with notes/something to talk about. The other two guys would show up with a 'why do I have to do this' attitutde and the discussion on the color of one's sweater or socks would eat up too much time.

I disagree. It's not an insult to anyone's intelligence, it's entertaining. This may shock you, but not even Hal McCoy can provide a great new scoop 162 games per year. I found Jackson/Lancaster et al.'s banter with Marty entertaining. In fact, it's one of my favorite parts of the broadcast.

fisch11
03-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Harang, Arroyo, Lohse, Belisle, Sarloos.

muethibp
03-31-2007, 02:24 PM
I disagree. It's not an insult to anyone's intelligence, it's entertaining. This may shock you, but not even Hal McCoy can provide a great new scoop 162 games per year. I found Jackson/Lancaster et al.'s banter with Marty entertaining. In fact, it's one of my favorite parts of the broadcast.

I agree. I always like this portion of the broadcast.

MartyFan
03-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Entertaining or not I think they are likely paid advertisement spots. They promote the paper and the columnists to the people who would care about the content they are writing.

Eric_Davis
03-31-2007, 04:10 PM

There's a major problem there. Belisle can't pitch more than 120 innings this year. He'd have to either leave every game after 5 innings or miss a start every 3rd or 4th start. And, if Belisle pitches more than 5 innings per game and doesn't get skipped for starts every 3rd or 4th start, then his arm will be so tired, his ERA will baloon above 6.00 and you'll be wishing you had Milton out there.

Belisle can't be a #4 pitcher this year. It's not physically possible. His arm doesn't have the strength.

Patrick Bateman
03-31-2007, 04:40 PM
There's a major problem there. Belisle can't pitch more than 120 innings this year. He'd have to either leave every game after 5 innings or miss a start every 3rd or 4th start. And, if Belisle pitches more than 5 innings per game and doesn't get skipped for starts every 3rd or 4th start, then his arm will be so tired, his ERA will baloon above 6.00 and you'll be wishing you had Milton out there.

Belisle can't be a #4 pitcher this year. It's not physically possible. His arm doesn't have the strength.

What's with the baseless information?

If Belisle's back holds up, he should be able to pitch 180+ innings just like everyone else. I'm not Belisle's doctor so I'm not going to say what his limits are, but bearing a set-back, you are 100% wrong.

If what you are saying is true, then Narron and Krivsky wouldn't be entertaining the idea of Belisle as a full time starter. He's done it before in the minors. He just needs to be stretched out (like he has been in the spring, and presumably offseason workouts) and he should be back into rotation shape. No plausible reason to suggest he maximizes at 120 innings. False information will not provide justification for Milton in the rotation.

Matt700wlw
03-31-2007, 04:40 PM
For the record, Lohse wasn't awful today....he was decent

George Anderson
03-31-2007, 05:52 PM

Yea it alike it alot to. I love the inside type of gossip they provide.

jojo
03-31-2007, 06:35 PM

There's A problem there?

Redsland
03-31-2007, 06:50 PM
I agree. I always like this portion of the broadcast.
Me too.

terminator
03-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Entertaining or not I think they are likely paid advertisement spots. They promote the paper and the columnists to the people who would care about the content they are writing.
When they started doing it a few years ago I was told that those were paid spots.

Even knowing that, I still like it because they are talking about baseball most of the time.

jojo
03-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Milton is pretty much headed to the DL *cough, cough* to start the season....

This pretty much signals that the franchise is at least considering the notion of parting ways with Milton IMHO since its basically a buying time before making a decision type of behavior...

kaldaniels
03-31-2007, 08:37 PM
So did this happen to anyone other than me. When I saw the thread title on the main page it read. "Breaking News, Milton will.......". I quickly clicked on the thread hoping to see it be entitled "Milton will be DFA". Was I ever disappointed.

Redskinalum02
03-31-2007, 09:27 PM
From Lance's Blog...

Things I'm told
This probably won't shock you, but I'm told Eric Milton is not really hurt......The Reds will attempt to put him on the "Phantom DL" to buy some time on what to do with him.

jojo
03-31-2007, 09:37 PM
We'll all know for sure tomorrow by 3....I think that's when the active roster has to be set...

redsmetz
03-31-2007, 10:17 PM
From Lance's Blog...

Things I'm told
This probably won't shock you, but I'm told Eric Milton is not really hurt......The Reds will attempt to put him on the "Phantom DL" to buy some time on what to do with him.

So maybe Lance is reading Redszone?

reds44
03-31-2007, 10:25 PM
From Lance's Blog...

Things I'm told
Definatley good news.

Shaknb8k
03-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Lets say he goes on the DL then who gets the roster spot?

Assuming that these players are locks: Arroyo, Belisle, Burton, Coffey, Cormier, Harang, Hermanson, Loshe, Saarloos, Stanton, Weathers.

I say it comes down to Livingston or Coutlangus depending where Saarloos and Belisle end up. In a way I would like to see Livingston in the rotation but i also wouldnt mind at all seeing Coutlangus in the pen. How bout we trade Cormier and keep both of em?

dougdirt
03-31-2007, 10:33 PM

Assuming that these players are locks: Arroyo, Belisle, Burton, Coffey, Cormier, Harang, Loshe, Saarloos, Stanton, Weathers.

I say it comes down to Livingston or Coutlangus depending where Saarloos and Belisle end up. In a way I would like to see Livingston in the rotation but i also wouldnt mind at all seeing Coutlangus in the pen. How bout we trade Cormier and keep both of em?

I have heard the Reds are trying to do that exact thing with Cormier.

jojo
03-31-2007, 10:36 PM

Assuming that these players are locks: Arroyo, Belisle, Burton, Coffey, Cormier, Harang, Hermanson, Loshe, Saarloos, Stanton, Weathers.

My guess? Bobby L gets a 2 start audition while Milton ponders Japan...

jojo
03-31-2007, 10:38 PM
I have heard the Reds are trying to do that exact thing with Cormier.

that would make Courmier impossible to trade though...

reds44
03-31-2007, 10:42 PM
My guess? Bobby L gets a 2 start audition while Milton ponders Japan...
Doubt it, he wouldn't have been sent down if that was the case.

My 12 pitchers:
Starting 5
Harang
Arroyo
Loshe
Belisle
Saarloos

7 pen guys:
Stanton
Weathers
Burton
Coutlangus
Coffey
Cormier
Hermanson

Would not be surprised if it's Santos instead, with Cormier traded/DL/DFAd.

dougdirt
03-31-2007, 10:56 PM
that would make Courmier impossible to trade though...

Trading Cormier makes him impossible to trade?
Where did we get things crossed up there because I know you couldnt have meant to say that.

reds44
03-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Where did we get things crossed up there because I know you couldnt have meant to say that.
I think thought you meant the Reds were trying to put Cormier on the DL. That would make him impossible to trade.

jojo
03-31-2007, 11:09 PM

what reds44 said.... :all_cohol:

Courmier is a hard sell as it is.... a $2.5M old fart with arm trouble would be untradeable... that was supposed to be the point but I completely misread your point so my point was, well, pointless....

dougdirt
03-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Gotcha.... I knew we had some wires crossed somewhere in there.

MartyFan
04-01-2007, 03:13 AM
8.5 mil is a lot of coin for any organization to eat. Wondering if there is a legit reason to put him on the DL? But I really do believe that the front office and ownership of this team is looking less at the 8.5 and more at the wins and losses and what that will do for the franchise.

This is going to be outstanding. Win or lose, this team is better without Milton.

Redskinalum02
04-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Would not be surprised if it's Santos instead, with Cormier traded/DL/DFAd.

I don't want to see Santos on this club. He had a phenomenal spring, BUT I'm skeptical that the light just came on for a 30 year old with a career ERA over 5.00.

Dracodave
04-01-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't want to see Santos on this club. He had a phenomenal spring, BUT I'm skeptical that the light just came on for a 30 year old with a career ERA over 5.00.

Bingo. :thumbup:

LawFive
04-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Santos > Manzanillo, but that still ain't sayin much.

Royals Fan
04-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Funny thing here is the Royals sent Angel Berroa an every day player- (who makes just about the same as Milton does if I recalled) to Triple A- to show the players and fans that they mean business if you do not produce on the field, your going to be sent down regardless who you are. Wonder if the Reds can stomach the same thing as Dayton Moore and Buddy Bell did?

Rocket_Fuel
04-01-2007, 12:25 PM

That's the rotation I want to see come Opening Day.

Rocket_Fuel
04-01-2007, 12:26 PM

What, you can look into the future now?

Prf15
04-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Hopefully if Milton goes on the DL they give Bobby Livingston a shot because he has looked great this spring. If for some reason they don't go to Livingston it will probably be Santos or Saarloos, most likely Saarloos.