PDA

View Full Version : Curious...

MartyFan
03-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Anyway that the Reds try and make a deal for Jorge Cantu since he doesn't make the D-Rays and has asked for a trade?

I mean, is there a place for him to take on this team and do we have personnel to move that the D-Rays would want?

I don't know.

Better question would we want him?

TOBTTReds
03-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Did he get off the juice last year? Major down year. How well does he pick it?

OnBaseMachine
03-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Cantu didn't make the D-Rays? Wow, I hadn't seen that.

Cantu's great power is very intriguing to me. Just a couple of years ago he hit 40 doubles and 28 homers. The downside is his plate discipline makes Juan Castro blush. If he can be had cheaply then I would love to see the Reds acquire him with the mindset of working extremely hard with him on improving his plate discipline, if only a little.

Falls City Beer
03-31-2007, 03:10 PM
I think the Mets assigned Jorge Sosa to minor league camp. Any interest there?

edabbs44
03-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Cantu didn't make the D-Rays? Wow, I hadn't seen that.

Cantu's great power is very intriguing to me. Just a couple of years ago he hit 40 doubles and 28 homers. The downside is his plate discipline makes Juan Castro blush. If he can be had cheaply then I would love to see the Reds acquire him with the mindset of working extremely hard with him on improving his plate discipline.

From rotoworld:

Devil Rays optioned 2B Jorge Cantu and C Shawn Riggans to Triple-A Durham; reassigned OF Dustan Mohr, C Raul Casanova and INF Jorge Velandia to minor league camp.

Cantu would rather be traded than report to Durham, but the Rays have offered him around plenty and found no takers. He had a poor spring offensively, and his defensive play suggests he needs to be moved to first base or left field. Until he starts hitting, Triple-A is the best place for him.

Tom Servo
03-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Cantu's got a lot of negatives, namely his terrible defense and terrible plate discipline. But if he could put up his 2005 numbers again he'd obviously be a good offensive addition.

I don't see any conceivable way he becomes a Red though.