PDA

View Full Version : The Dunn bunt

TOBTTReds
03-31-2007, 02:59 PM
OK, stick with me here.

Even though I don't like this lineup (which we will see):

Freel
Dunn
BP (this is the one I really don't like)
Griffey
EdE

...think about this situation. Freel gets on base around 37% of the time in the 1st inning. Dunn comes up with a huge shift. Although I tend to disagree with the sentiment of a slugger bunting, he could get on base so easily (if he can manage to get the bunt down unlike Thursday). Say he quasi-perfects the bunt, what do you think of him bunting with Freel on 1st with no outs.

Probably 80% of the time (if he is good at it) we would have runners on 1st and 2nd with 0 outs. Then this is where BP comes in. He could sacrifice them over, and with his speed, have a chance to make it on safely.

This would make it 2nd (Dunn) and 3rd (Freel) with 1 out and Griffey up, followed by the "clutch" hitting Encarnacion.

Pros
Possibility of having two men in scoring position with 1 out and our 4 and 5 hitters coming up.

Scoring early

Cons
Taking the power out of your power bat

If he or JN think he is a better bunter than he is, it is a bad out.

I'm sure there are more pros and cons, but this is just an idea I thought of that I think could work. The other day on radio when Dunn popped up his bunt, Marty and JB both said if the 2 hole is going to bunt, it might as well be Gonzo. But that really isn't the point. If gonzo gets down the bunt, it is a sacrifice, if Dunn bunts, it could/should be 2 men on with no outs.

So what do you guys think?

*Disclaimer: My baseball philosophies revolve around stats, so this is slightly out of the norm for my thinking. But I really think this is a possibility of happening. I'm going to duck now.

fisch11
03-31-2007, 03:12 PM
I would agree with you if EE batted cleanup instead of Jr.
But I'm not a big fan of taking the HR out of Dunn's game. I'd use it sparingly, perhaps against pitcher you know you aren't going to get much off of. And I would do it later in the game, not in the first.

TOBTTReds
03-31-2007, 03:24 PM
I would agree with you if EE batted cleanup instead of Jr.
But I'm not a big fan of taking the HR out of Dunn's game. I'd use it sparingly, perhaps against pitcher you know you aren't going to get much off of. And I would do it later in the game, not in the first.

Makes sense.

Marc D
04-01-2007, 10:46 AM
If I'm the opposing manager I'm literally laughing at Jerry Narron if he has Dunn bunting...ever. I'm merely smirking at him for having his two best hitters in the #2 and #5 hole while Phillips and JR bat 3rd and 4th.

Whats wrong with?:

Freel
Hatte
Dunn
EE
Griffey
Phillips
Ross
Gonzalez

Its even R-L-R-L.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-01-2007, 11:12 AM
It could work every once in a while to beat the shift, but I don't think I'd make it a regular call in the playbook, more of a rabbit to pull out of the hat a couple times a year to try and spark something.

I'd rather AD work on going the other way with the ball than have him work on his bunting skills.

Highlifeman21
04-01-2007, 11:24 AM
If I'm the opposing manager I'm literally laughing at Jerry Narron if he has Dunn bunting...ever. I'm merely smirking at him for having his two best hitters in the #2 and #5 hole while Phillips and JR bat 3rd and 4th.

Whats wrong with?:

Freel
Hatte
Dunn
EE
Griffey
Phillips
Ross
Gonzalez

Its even R-L-R-L.

That's how it should look.

Dunn, EE, Griffey in the 3-4-5.

Unfortunately, with Denorfia out for 6 months with Tommy Johns, we are stuck with either Freel or Hamilton at the top, although I'm not 100% sold on Hamilton batting leadoff.

Hatteberg makes sense for the 2 spot, due to the fact he doesn't strike out a lot, and will create the opportunity for hitters behind him to see a good amount of pitches during his PA.

Brandon Phillips is a 6 hole hitter. His OBP, or lack thereof, doesn't warrant him above the 5 spot given our other personnel, and he hasn't shown he can consistently hit for high SLG.

Hopefully Krivsky can somehow find a leadoff hitter, something this team's sorely lacked for quite some time.

TOBTTReds
04-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Whats wrong with?:

Freel
Hatte
Dunn
EE
Griffey
Phillips
Ross
Gonzalez

Its even R-L-R-L.

Nothing is wrong with your lineup. That is what I would have or just take Hatte and put him behind Griffey. I kind of like the idea of Dunn in the two hole right now, though I like him in the 3 too.

Reds1
04-01-2007, 03:24 PM
problem is once Dunn kept doing this the shift would be gone. Or at least they would move up closer.

PuffyPig
04-01-2007, 03:38 PM

Whats wrong with?:

Freel
Hatte
Dunn
EE
Griffey
Phillips
Ross
Gonzalez

Its even R-L-R-L.

It's not. Hatte and Dunn both bat LH.

If Dunn could bunt himself on 80% of the time (he can't) he should bunt every time. He'd be the best hitter in the game, by far, and we would score a gazillion runs.

The sole purpose of Dunn bunting more would be to force the other team to abandon the shift. That would make Dunn a better hitter.

TOBTTReds
04-01-2007, 03:53 PM
problem is once Dunn kept doing this the shift would be gone.

This would be a pro, not con.