PDA

View Full Version : Hermanson!

gobucks106
03-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Any concerns with his outing today. He really got roghed up! Can you say Burton & Coffey! I also like Brad Salmon, he pitched well this spring before being reassinged to Loiusville.

reds44
03-31-2007, 04:55 PM
I was concernd before this outing.

KoryMac5
03-31-2007, 04:58 PM
He's got closer mentality without closer stuff. If he does stay on he will get rocked this year. :rockband:

Always Red
03-31-2007, 05:14 PM
He's got closer mentality without closer stuff.

:laugh: :laugh: so true!

I'd start off with him (they're going to keep him) and let him sink or swim. He's the only one down there who has actually done it, which is probably why it's his job to lose.

I'd have Coffey next in line, and then Burton after that, if need be.

edabbs44
03-31-2007, 05:14 PM
I think that Hermanson is the least of our worries, since he's one of the few who didn't get a guaranteed 2 year deal.

redsmetz
03-31-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm doubtful that Hermanson starts the year with the big club. He's on a minor league contract and I'm guessing after today, he starts out in Louisville, the press' love for him notwithstanding.

BRM
03-31-2007, 05:22 PM
:laugh: :laugh: so true!

I'd start off with him (they're going to keep him) and let him sink or swim. He's the only one down there who has actually done it, which is probably why it's his job to lose.

I'd have Coffey next in line, and then Burton after that, if need be.

David Weathers has spent about as much time as a closer as Hermanson. I fully expect Hermanson to get hammered more times than not.

reds44
03-31-2007, 05:26 PM
David Weathers has spent about as much time as a closer as Hermanson. I fully expect Hermanson to get hammered more times than not.
I would MUCH rather have Weathers closing then Hermanson.

BRM
03-31-2007, 05:28 PM

Same here.

roby
03-31-2007, 05:33 PM
How about Lohse as the closer? I wonder what his stuff would translate to in short outings?

reds44
03-31-2007, 05:35 PM
How about Lohse as the closer? I wonder what his stuff would translate to in short outings?
Then who starts?

Matt700wlw
03-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Then who starts?

Livingston?

Ron Madden
03-31-2007, 05:40 PM

Weathers scares me but I'd rather see him than Hermanson too.

edabbs44
03-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Give it to Coffey. He has a shot to be here when the Reds finally right the ship. Weathers and Hermanson will be long gone.

Redlegs
03-31-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm concerned about the closer role, but I'm more concerned about Eric Milton. He's a terrible pitcher at this point.

Ron Madden
03-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Give it to Coffey. He has a shot to be here when the Reds finally right the ship. Weathers and Hermanson will be long gone.

Coffey would be my choice. Jerry loves older vets, Coffey is behind Hermanson, Weathers and Stanton in his eyes.

Unassisted
03-31-2007, 05:48 PM

It didn't work out so well last season when the closer role was handed to Coffey. I'd rather see Coffey start out the regular season in a well-defined set-up role and earn his way back into the closer spot through performance.

edabbs44
03-31-2007, 05:50 PM
It didn't work out so well last season when the closer role was handed to Coffey. I'd rather see Coffey start out the regular season in a well-defined set-up role and earn his way back into the closer spot through performance.

Agreed, but I think he deserves another shot. It would give him a confidence boost as well.

Always Red
03-31-2007, 06:16 PM

True that, and Stormy never fared much better, with Hermanson having one big year at least...

I fully expect Hermanson will be hammered, too, just like he has been the last two times out.

I've been beating the "Lohse for closer" drum since at least last fall (you could look it up!). He's got great stuff, a live arm, and also apparently an inability to concentrate for long periods of time! If he embraces the role, he'd be lights out, I do believe.

I think he'd do great in the closer's role- have Hume, and JB mentor him, if need be. BUT, I don't think he wants the role. Todd Coffey wants the job, very badly. He has the arm; but he imploded last year when challenged in the role. He's more experienced and more mature this year.

Everyone here loves Todd. I'd love to see him succeed as closer for the Reds. I love his attitude and enthusiasm. But, I think Narron is going to start with Hermie, and then turn to Coffey when Hermie implodes. Burton also has the arm for the job, as does Salmon.

It's good to have choices. Weathers, and Stanton are no longer good choices for the job, IMO. The good thing about this Reds bullpen, is that there is far greater depth here than has been in the past. I really believe that. No, we don't have many outstanding pitchers, but there are many average pitchers down there to choose from.

Relative mediocrity is a good thing, coming out of 6 years of abysmalness. :thumbup:

Sea Ray
03-31-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm doubtful that Hermanson starts the year with the big club. He's on a minor league contract and I'm guessing after today, he starts out in Louisville, the press' love for him notwithstanding.

I really hope you are right but I highly doubt it. I don't think it's just the Press who is in love with this guy as the closer. I think WK desperately wants to force a guy like Hermanson into the role of closer so his other guys "fall into place."

Here's the bottomline:

He is no closer. Will the Reds brass see it now and send him to AAA or will they wait until they're on the hook for his entire 2007 major league salary and allow him to pull defeat from the jaws of victory a few times for the major league team?

We'll soon have our answer as Opening Day is less than 2 days away.

IslandRed
03-31-2007, 06:38 PM
I really hope you are right but I highly doubt it. I don't think it's just the Press who is in love with this guy as the closer. I think WK desperately wants to force a guy like Hermanson into the role of closer so his other guys "fall into place."

Could be, but it's also worth remembering that his health was the reason he was a free pickup in the first place. Seems obvious enough that he's not where he needs to be yet, so I hope he doesn't start out closing. What they'll do with him will depend on whether they think there is a "yet" with Hermanson, or if this is all there is.

redsmetz
03-31-2007, 08:19 PM
We'll know by 3 PM tomorrow (or thereabouts) when ML rosters have to be set.

redsfan1966
03-31-2007, 09:29 PM
i think there is no doubt that Hermanson will start the season as our closer...he has been pimped too much as being the guy who has the "closer mentality" this spring...if he falters (and after he got lit up before my eyes in Dayton, I believe he will falter), i think Coffey will definitely inherit the role...

dougdirt
03-31-2007, 09:41 PM
While we all want Coffey to inherit the closers role next, if its this season he is at least 3rd in line behind Stanton and Weathers in the minds of the guys running this team.

HokieRed
03-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Anybody have any accurate information on Hermanson's velocity? Not only was he awful today, but I remember the last time he pitched, the first three guys (Phillies I think) got line drive hits on the first three pitches. That suggests to me that he's pretty straight and not throwing very hard.

jnwohio
03-31-2007, 10:06 PM
While we all want Coffey to inherit the closers role next, if its this season he is at least 3rd in line behind Stanton and Weathers in the minds of the guys running this team.

I thought there was a lot of validity in Brantley's critique/ rant about Coffey Thursday nite.
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56077

He still has a long way to go with his "head game" before he is ready to be an everyday closer. Now might he be the Reds best option until/ unless Guardado can come back at mid season? Who knows at this point.

Hey Meat
03-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Another year of closer by committee until Every Day Eddie gets back, and even then it will still be interesting.

JLB5
03-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Brantley has said his velocity looks better this spring than when he was closing for the ChiSox. Marty and Thom weren't buying it when he was getting smoked today.

jojo
03-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Another year of closer by committee until Every Day Eddie gets back, and even then it will still be interesting.

eddie isn't coming back.

flyer85
03-31-2007, 10:59 PM
Brantley has said his velocity looks better this spring than when he was closing for the ChiSox. Marty and Thom weren't buying it when he was getting smoked today.the times I saw Hermanson he hardly threw his fastball, it was all splitters and sliders. Which tells me that with his velocity he was afraid to throw it. Early in the spring you can be effective throwing a lo of off-speed stuff and all hermanson was trying to do was slink onto a roster.

There is a reason he worked out for a number of teams yet they passed on signing him.

Sea Ray
04-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm doubtful that Hermanson starts the year with the big club.

Assuming this isn't an April's Fool from C. Trent, you are correct. Kudos to your fortune telling and to WK for making the right move. Can't say the same for J Fay who was annointing him closer as recently as this morning's paper.

redsmetz
04-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Assuming this isn't an April's Fool from C. Trent, you are correct. Kudos to your fortune telling and to WK for making the right move. Can't say the same for J Fay who was annointing him closer as recently as this morning's paper.

I didn't see him getting cut, but this speaks to the depth this club has right now. The rotation might not be the best thing since sliced bread, but in years past, Hermanson would have made this club. And now everyone talking about the depth of the Louisville staff. Our staff may not be a world beater, but we've got some horses this year and not many of them are ready for the glue factory.

TheWalls
04-01-2007, 02:56 PM

Here's the bottomline:

He is no closer. Will the Reds brass see it now and send him to AAA or will they wait until they're on the hook for his entire 2007 major league salary and allow him to pull defeat from the jaws of victory a few times for the major league team?

We'll soon have our answer as Opening Day is less than 2 days away.

Spooky. Go buy a lottery ticket Nostradamus. :thumbup: