PDA

View Full Version : OSU going to the Title Game (Again)

kaldaniels
03-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Awesome!!! :beerme:

MWM
03-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Better pray it's not a rematch of the football game, because I fear the results would be similar.

Marc D
03-31-2007, 09:18 PM
Even if we lose to UF again there is a measure of respect that should come with playing for a NC in both major sports in the same year.

Great times to be a Buckeye!!!

Cedric
03-31-2007, 09:41 PM
It's a tremendous achievement. Mike Conley is a bad bad man.

guttle11
03-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Win or lose, I want them to play Florida. There's no need to bring anyone else into the equation. Let the two best big time sports programs this year battle it out.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/80/Megapowers.JPG/250px-Megapowers.JPG

Spring~Fields
03-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Incredible! In my entire lifetime I have never seen an Ohio State basketball team in the championship game, I was to young to care or know the last time they were there. Great run win or lose Monday.

smith288
04-01-2007, 12:43 AM
This storyline is the opposite of the football NC. OSU was the heavy fav and got thumped. Hope it goes OSU's way.

Spring~Fields
04-01-2007, 12:53 AM
I think that this match up has all the makings of a future trivia question:
Who was the university that lost two national championships in less than four months to the same university. :devil:

WVPacman
04-01-2007, 01:08 AM
Lets go Florida!!!!!!!!!:beerme:

Hey I have to go for them b/c your buckeyes had to knock out my Hoyas today.:(

GAC
04-01-2007, 06:10 AM
IMO, Conley is the true MVP of this team this year. The kid is simply amazing, and this team really compliments one another with guys like Lewis and Butler (who is from this neck of the woods).

I'm your typical OSU fan (for almost 40 yrs) - I'm waiting around for them to lose at some point after raising my expectations. Doesn't matter if it's FB or BB. I personally, due to immaturity, thought they'd get no farther then the Sweet 16. I think a lot of the "experts" weren't expecting OSU to hang around long. I love being wrong.

And I give a lot of the credit to Matta too. I loved this guy when he was at Xavier.

Oden, IMO, has had a very erratic, and even poor in some instances, NCAA tourney, as far as offense. No doubting his defensive abilities though when on that floor. He really struggled in the first half of yesterday's game. It will be interesting to see how he matches up with Florida's Horford.

Florida is a very talented team. I'm sure OSU is probably gonna be a slight underdog when matched up vs Florida's "Fab Five". But what OSU (Matta) did to GT's Green, who was Big East Conference Player of the Year, and basically take him out the game yesterday, makes me think that Matta should have his boys ready.

But I'll be darned if I'll make any bets/predictions. All I know is that I'll be somewhere in Cincy, after attending Red's opening day, watching it somewhere with a group of 'zoners. I'm glad I got a hotel room. ;)

Highlifeman21
04-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Better pray it's not a rematch of the football game, because I fear the results would be similar.

That would be a low scoring basketball game

redsfan30
04-01-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm as big an Ohio State fan as there is here on these boards, but tomorrow night is gonna be awfully tough for the Buckeyes.

They can win, but it's gonna be tough.

Blimpie
04-01-2007, 12:31 PM
After the game Monday night, I hope we won't hear any OSU fans whining about the fact that the Buckeyes had to deal with a 51 hour layoff--but Florida only had to wait 48 hours to play again.

max venable
04-01-2007, 12:44 PM
After the game Monday night, I hope we won't hear any OSU fans whining about the fact that the Buckeyes had to deal with a 51 hour layoff--but Florida only had to wait 48 hours to play again.

Yeah...BUT...the Bucks will have had two more hours off than the Gators...that much of a layoff compared to that of the Gators could be devastating!

15fan
04-01-2007, 12:56 PM
I was down outside the Dome last night slumming for tickets to the game Monday night. There were a ton of Forida fans there. Horrible seats were relatively easy to find. Figure I'll go back down Monday night and see if I can snag a decent seat. Florida winning the nightcap definitely makes the Monday night ticket more of a challenge.

LoganBuck
04-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I think Florida wins this game. I think if they played four times Florida would win three times. I am really hoping for the upset though. If OSU had Dallas Lauderdale and Kosta Koufos things might be different, I just don't like Oden versus the three talented post players of Florida. I see foul trouble, and fatigue. If OSU can make their shots and hit the three they can win, I just think Florida has too much size.

Highlifeman21
04-01-2007, 04:46 PM
So, here's a question...

If Florida wins, does Oden stay at OSU for a 2nd year?

If OSU wins, does Oden go cash that NBA check?

I think he should take out an insurance policy and play another year. He needs to prove to everyone what type of player he is when healthy. I don't know that we've seen a healthy Greg Oden this entire season.

LoganBuck
04-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Oden supposedly already has a $10 million dollar insurance policy.

I think he is gone either way. I don't know anybody close to the basketball team, unlike the football team. I knew Ginn, Gonzalez, and Pittman were gone, just a hunch on Oden. I worry that Conley has shot up the draft boards to the point that he is a lottery pick as well.

Unassisted
04-01-2007, 05:17 PM
I worry that Conley has shot up the draft boards to the point that he is a lottery pick as well.

Coley's dad was quoted in the Dispatch before the regional as saying that Mike will be a Buckeye next year, no matter what happens in the tournament.

Sea Ray
04-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Yeah, yeah. I called this 3 months ago...

BTW, OSU fans, you may have a chance to get your revenge vs Florida in the NCAA tournament...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1224099&postcount=282

Red Leader
04-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Congrats to OSU on a tremendous win Saturday. Their defense really stepped up. Big challenge on Monday vs Florida. I personally think Florida can be beat, but it is a tough assignment. Mike Conley was unreal, and has been this whole tournament. Regardless of who wins, he should be the tournament MVP.

Chip R
04-02-2007, 12:25 AM
I think what would be great on Monday is if OSU won the tip and immediately scored on a fast break dunk. ;)

LoganBuck
04-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Big Ten Speed!

Stupid Unrelated Factoid

Ohio State has never lost to an SEC team in the NCAA tourney. 8-0 Alltime

registerthis
04-02-2007, 12:39 PM
I think what would be great on Monday is if OSU won the tip and immediately scored on a fast break dunk. ;)

...if they kept doing it all game, I would agree with you.

Unassisted
04-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Stupid Unrelated Factoid

Ohio State has never lost to an SEC team in the NCAA tourney. 8-0 Alltime

In NCAA finals where the two teams have met during the regular season, the favored team has gone 4-8. It's good to be the underdog. :thumbup:

Puffy
04-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Coley's dad was quoted in the Dispatch before the regional as saying that Mike will be a Buckeye next year, no matter what happens in the tournament.

Conley's dad is also starting a sports agency where he is becoming an agent. What this means and who his first clients are I don't know, but something to think about.

*cough* Oden as first client *cough*

MWM
04-02-2007, 07:30 PM
I think Humphrey is going to destroy the Buckeye zone defense. Does that guy ever miss? But one of OSU's weaknesses this year has been hot 3-point shooters. I think he'll be the MVP of the game.

WVRed
04-02-2007, 07:39 PM
I think Humphrey is going to destroy the Buckeye zone defense. Does that guy ever miss? But one of OSU's weaknesses this year has been hot 3-point shooters. I think he'll be the MVP of the game.

I have a feeling Humphrey is going to shatter the three point scoring record tonight. He already has set the lead over Bobby Hurley, but I could see a Gerry McNamara type performance tonight.

StillFunkyB
04-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Watching Greg Oden this year, and tonight just confirms it for me, but I think Oden should stay in school one more year. He is still pretty raw. He would do fine in the NBA, as the level of play isn't as far apart as it is in other sports. I just think one more year might do him some good.

Alas, I am a homer. I want him to stay another year. :)

HumnHilghtFreel
04-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Oden is doing absolutely everything tonight to keep them relatively close. OSU needs those 3's to stop falling for Florida if they want to make a run... some perimeter defense would help.

guttle11
04-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Florida just shoots the ball better. Athletic wise, I think they are very similar.

Oden does things with his feet I've never seen a big man do.

MWM
04-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Florida is just better, by a lot, than any team in the country. It's just one of those special teams. They weren't going to be stopped this year.

George Foster
04-03-2007, 12:20 AM
you can't win a game in the 1st half but you can sure as heck lose one. You can't spot a team like Florida 11 points at half-time. Yet another NCAA Championship for an SEC school.

Caveat Emperor
04-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Florida is just better, by a lot, than any team in the country. It's just one of those special teams. They weren't going to be stopped this year.

They did everything well. A true team with no weakness to attack. They were just flat-out better than Ohio State (or any other team in the field, for that matter).

Ohio State led a charmed life in this tournament by going on hot-runs from behind the 3 point line. They kept waiting for that run in this game and it never came.

traderumor
04-03-2007, 12:39 AM
A few more loose balls bounce our way and a few more 3s drop, but Florida capitalized on every opportunity, like champions do. The better team was evident, the Bucks had to shoot lights out to even have a chance, and they didn't.

Great season, though. Hopefully Oden's coming back. I won't be surprised either way, he has good reasons which ever way he chooses.

kaldaniels
04-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Owned. And I say that as a Buckeye fan. :bang:

KronoRed
04-03-2007, 12:41 AM
Great day for this sports fan :)

traderumor
04-03-2007, 12:41 AM
Owned. And I say that as a Buckeye fan. :bang:Two mutually exclusive events. I can't complain that my team made it to the championship game in both marquee sports, regardless of coming up short.

BuckeyeRed27
04-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Florida can shoot that's for sure. Three point shooting was the difference.

The good news: Florida is going to be awful at football and basketball next year. OSU has a good chance at being in the BCS and if Oden comes back won't lose a basketball game next year (or even play that many close ones for that matter).

Spring~Fields
04-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Florida is a great team and as we saw with a lot of weapons. Great season for both schools.

kbrake
04-03-2007, 12:50 AM
I dont see how Ohio State will do much in football next season. Better hope Chris Wells doesnt ever get tired.

As far as tonight, I feel like it was a win after the football game. Seriously though the Gators shot great, Buckeyes didnt. Better team won, no reason for the Buckeyes to hang their heads.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-03-2007, 12:54 AM
What's the +/- these days of Oden and Conley sticking around another year?

traderumor
04-03-2007, 12:56 AM
What's the +/- these days of Oden and Conley sticking around another year?Conley has already publicly stated he is coming back next year. I also think that he will be able to talk Greg into coming back another year if anyone can.

The unfortunate thing personally is that I just can't get into the NBA, so the fun's over for me when they do move on. It just isn't enjoyable basketball, even when its two good teams playing. There just isn't passion in the games, too many games guys look like they are going through the motions, and way too many stiffs that are not anything but big.

kaldaniels
04-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Two mutually exclusive events. I can't complain that my team made it to the championship game in both marquee sports, regardless of coming up short.

Agreed, but face it, UF can hold that over our heads for years to come.

redsfan30
04-03-2007, 01:02 AM
The frustrating thing for me was everytime Ohio State got close and looked like they could surge, Florida knocked down a dagger every single time. That's the mark of a great team and that's exactly what Florida is.

The better team won.

traderumor
04-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Agreed, but face it, UF can hold that over our heads for years to come.eh, not the kind of stuff I worry about.

kaldaniels
04-03-2007, 01:04 AM
eh, not the kind of stuff I worry about.

Eh, living in SEC country I do.

George Foster
04-03-2007, 01:05 AM
You buckeye fans have one thing to be happy about....you saw Billy the Kid coach his last game at Florida.....:D

max venable
04-03-2007, 01:18 AM
congrats to florida. this totally SUCKS...but congrats.

dang!

MWM
04-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Ohio State led a charmed life in this tournament by going on hot-runs from behind the 3 point line. They kept waiting for that run in this game and it never came.

Sure, plenty of teams that make it far in the tournament have some lucky moments, but this OSU team was a damn good team whether you love or hate Ohio State. It's OK to admit that.

guttle11
04-03-2007, 01:23 AM
http://www.1918redsox.com/images/statcard.jpg

"Nothing we can do but call the Gators our daddies."

sonny
04-03-2007, 02:00 AM
http://www.1918redsox.com/images/statcard.jpg

"Nothing we can do but call the Gators our daddies."

Iwas thinking the EXACT same thing during the game

LoganBuck
04-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Humprey made every big shot. Brewer hit a couple massive threes. OSU was ice cold all night. They had to make some of those to have a shot.

It was a great year to be a Buckeye fan. To bad there are two empty spots in the trophy cases, but great year nonetheless.

Caveat Emperor
04-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Sure, plenty of teams that make it far in the tournament have some lucky moments, but this OSU team was a damn good team whether you love or hate Ohio State. It's OK to admit that.

They were an exceptionally talented team. They just developed a real tendency to sleepwalk through a large portion of their tournament games.

Spring~Fields
04-03-2007, 10:50 AM
You buckeye fans have one thing to be happy about....you saw Billy the Kid coach his last game at Florida.....:D

Sure your not thinking about Reds fans ? :evil: Where a Milton to the DL seems like a victory?

As far as Ohio State,

I was pretty happy with the whole season of football and basketball

With a basketball team that goes 35-4, with a football team that went undefeated in regular season and 12-1 overall. there is nothing to be unhappy about.

Florida and Ohio State fans had a lot to be happy about every week, perhaps the fans of other schools did not have such a fun run. ;)

BRM
04-03-2007, 11:06 AM

Vitale says there is no way Billy will leave Florida. :rolleyes:

I expect the announcement to be made by the end of the week.

registerthis
04-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Conley has already publicly stated he is coming back next year. I also think that he will be able to talk Greg into coming back another year if anyone can.

Depends on what the NBA scouts are telling him. If they're whispering "#1" in his ear, I think he's as good as gone.

registerthis
04-03-2007, 11:30 AM
They were an exceptionally talented team. They just developed a real tendency to sleepwalk through a large portion of their tournament games.

I wouldn't have minded if they had made a three-pointer or two last night. That would have been OK by me.

Red Leader
04-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Depends on what the NBA scouts are telling him. If they're whispering "#1" in his ear, I think he's as good as gone.

I think they'd have to whisper "Top 10" in his ear. "#1" is a little over-zealous, IMO.

Last first rounds projections I saw, Conley wasn't even listed. He played absolutely terrific in the tournament, but I think even Conley would question a scout telling him he could be the #1 pick.

I do think that the tournament most certainly has solidified him as being a 1st round pick. It will be interesting to see what his decision is.

Highlifeman21
04-03-2007, 11:37 AM
I thought Oden did a phenomenal job holding Noah, Horford and Richards in check last night. Meanwhile, he put up a solid 25, 12 and 4 while having those 3 Gators rotate on him.

Not bad performance for a guy that was maybe 80% at best. I really hope he comes back for another year, so the college game can possibly see one of the best talents of all time play at 100%.

BuckeyeRed27
04-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I thought Oden did a phenomenal job holding Noah, Horford and Richards in check last night. Meanwhile, he put up a solid 25, 12 and 4 while having those 3 Gators rotate on him.

Not bad performance for a guy that was maybe 80% at best. I really hope he comes back for another year, so the college game can possibly see one of the best talents of all time play at 100%.

Oden dominated Noah and Horford. Completely dominated. I don't know if either of those two hurt their draft status but it they didn't help themselves any. Brewer and Humphries on the other hand.....

Puffy
04-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Oden dominated Noah and Horford. Completely dominated. I don't know if either of those two hurt their draft status but it they didn't help themselves any. Brewer and Humphries on the other hand.....

Yeah, Horford was dominated!!

18 points and 12 rebounds is laughable! His draft status is gonna fall way down after only 18 and 12.

BuckeyeRed27
04-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah, Horford was dominated!!

18 points and 12 rebounds is laughable! His draft status is gonna fall way down after only 18 and 12.

Horford did have a better game than I thought, but that being said he wasn't guarded by Oden most of the game and when he was I only remember him scoring that one put back dunk on the fast break and a 17 footer.

bucksfan
04-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah, the better team won. And all year I always wondered out loud how the heck anyone could ever rank Florida ahead of us. Not that I didn't think the Buckeyes were not CAPABLE of winning - I think they were. They just needed it to be a night where they were shooting well from outside as well as getting the strong play in the other facets of the game.

I'd sure like to see Oden & Conley stay to see if they can develop that level of team play (IMO they might be able to) with the rest of the guys remaining and incoming. I was not at all disappointed in their effort. The key difference was how we shot/defended the 3 vs how Florida did. They did better in both aspects. Otherwise I thought the Buckeyes played a pretty solid game.

TeamSelig
04-03-2007, 02:06 PM
I think the main reason OSU lost was their 3 pointers compared to Floridas. Florida shot at a godly percent while OSU shot way below their average.

Everytime OSU brought it within 6 or so Florida would drain a series of shots and put them back down by 11-13. Crazy game, I was pulling for OSU but Florida basically dominated the entire game. If Oden & Conley didn't have amazing games I think OSU loses by 20+ points.

Doubt Horrford will lose any draft stock, he'll still be a top 10 pick. I think Brewer helped out his draft status, and Oden just finalized his #1 pick. No way does Durant go #1 now.

15fan
04-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Solid game last night. It was a big time sellers ticket market before the game. Bad lower level seats were going for $600 apiece before the game.

5 minutes before tip, however, a buddy and I scored upper level seats for face value. It's amazing how those ticket prices drop near the start of a game! ;) We worked our way to a section that didn't have an usher, and found some empty seats at about the 40 yard line. Most of the other folks in our section had done the same thing. Not the best seats, but with my 20/20 lasik eyes, I was fine. :cool:

If Ohio State had shot 5-20 instead of 2-20 on 3s, it would have been a 2 point game with about 3 minutes left. The Florida jean short nation was out in full force, but it was generally pretty quiet. As the game wore on, they realized that they weren't going to roll like they did in the Tostitos bowl and that they had a bona fide game on their hand.

I ended up sitting next to the stereotypical Gator fan - a mesh back Gator cap, a blue Gator basketball uniform tank top, jeans, and flip-flops. He was a good guy, though.