PDA

View Full Version : Hermanson gone

Gainesville Red
04-01-2007, 01:29 PM
per c. trent:

hermanson gone

Will post more when I get it, but Dustin Hermanson was saying his goodbyes. One more cut to go

edabbs44
04-01-2007, 01:32 PM
phew

Joseph
04-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Interesting

Gainesville Red
04-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Interesting

Yeah, I didn't see that coming. Cool.

KittyDuran
04-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Someone replied on Trent's blog being maybe an April Fool's? :confused:
Nothing official on the team website..

Patrick Bateman
04-01-2007, 01:37 PM
This really shouldn't have been a surprise. Everyone was just getting caught up in the Fay closer speculation.

5 guys were already guaranteed spots and Hermanson wasn't one of the guys in the running for the final slots.

jojo
04-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Someone replied on Trent's blog being maybe an April Fool's? :confused:
Nothing official on the team website..

thats just not the subject matter a beat writer would choose as an april fool's joke....

it's legit (or it's the least classy thing I've ever seen...)

Tom Servo
04-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Now just jettison Milton and Cormier and we may be on to something.

redsfan30
04-01-2007, 01:41 PM
This has to be an April Fool's joke. It has to be.

redsfan30
04-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Looks like it's on rotoworld.

Wow. Did not see that one coming at all.

Tom Servo
04-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Rotoworld just took it from the blog. Sure hope C. Trent isn't screwing around with us. It makes a lot of sense to cut Hermanson, seeing as he has a high spring ERA and has gotten rocked in his last outings.

Fay also said this a few hours ago on his blog about the closer situation:

Up till a day or two ago, I was convinced it would be Dustin Hermanson. Now, I'm not so sure. It'll be Mike Stanton, David Weathers, Todd Coffey, Jared Burton or Hermanson. That does really help pick your fantasy roster. My guess is it will be a work in progress.

Patrick Bateman
04-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Fay also said this a few hours ago on his blog about the closer situation:

This really shows how dumb Fay is.

2 hours ago he thinks Hermanson is still a closer candidate and he ends up getting cut. For a guy that has the privledge of having just about every resource about the Reds available for his use, you would think he would have some clue as to what is going on. He was incredibly wrong on this one.

redsfan30
04-01-2007, 01:52 PM

2 hours ago he thinks Hermanson is still a closer candidate and he ends up getting cut. For a guy that has the privledge of having just about every resource about the Reds available for his use, you would think he would have some clue as to what is going on. He was incredibly wrong on this one.

Why does this make Fay dumb? He knew something was up. When we woke up this morning, Hermanson was the closer. He had a feeling that he was no longer the clear-cut closer and then he winds up getting cut.

How again does this show Fay being dumb?

Sea Ray
04-01-2007, 02:01 PM

John Fay certainly didn't see this coming but no one was more out in left field on this than Hall of Famer Hal McCoy. Look at what he wrote a week ago:

Mark it down. Hermanson is the closer, with the capital 'C.'

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2007/03/23/ddn032407reds.html

Big Klu
04-01-2007, 02:03 PM
One more cut to go

My guess: Milton to the 15-day DL.

redsmetz
04-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Why does this make Fay dumb? He knew something was up. When we woke up this morning, Hermanson was the closer. He had a feeling that he was no longer the clear-cut closer and then he winds up getting cut.

How on earth was Hermanson the clear cut closer when we woke up this morning? Only writers like John Fay were saying that. And Fay has been on a personal mission all spring to somehow make himself omnipotent - Hermanson's in, Griffey's on the rocks - I think he's been on a puff piece express all winter. Like an alpha male trying to win his turf. I have no idea why he thinks anyone's annointed him to be the big time writer.

redsfan30
04-01-2007, 02:07 PM
How on earth was Hermanson the clear cut closer when we woke up this morning? Only writers like John Fay were saying that. And Fay has been on a personal mission all spring to somehow make himself omnipotent - Hermanson's in, Griffey's on the rocks - I think he's been on a puff piece express all winter. Like an alpha male trying to win his turf. I have no idea why he thinks anyone's annointed him to be the big time writer.

I'm not saying he SHOULD have been the closer, but just expected him to be knowing the way Narron/Krivsky like the guys who have been there before.

Right or wrong, before this morning, Hermanson would have been the smart money on filling the closers spot.

Always Red
04-01-2007, 02:09 PM
John Fay certainly didn't see this coming but no one was more out in left field on this than Hall of Famer Hal McCoy. Look at what he wrote a week ago:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2007/03/23/ddn032407reds.html

This FO is very closed mouth about the moves they make, and I for one, appreciate it. It's a classy, dignified way to go about this business. We might not like or want Hermanson and Milty pitching for the Reds, but they are guys (nice guys by all accounts) with families, and they are at the end of their careers.

They're not just trading cards, or names on fantasy teams, but are men losing their jobs, losing their livelihood. I do like how Krivsky handles this very tough part of the job.

Tom Servo
04-01-2007, 02:11 PM
It's true!!!!!!!!!:

from Trent:

Apparently, Hermanson had no interest in an assignment in Louisville.

And, no, I promise I will never put an April Fool's joke or something like that on here. I don't believe in that kind of stuff on an outlet you trust.

Also, the team was waiting for Dr. Kremcheck to look at Eric Milton. He could be DL'd.

Wayne and Jerry also said they had one more "guy to talk to" about a cut or assignment to Louisville.

reds44
04-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Woooooo!!!!!!!

Now who is the closer?

Gainesville Red
04-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Wayne and Jerry also said they had one more "guy to talk to" about a cut or assignment to Louisville.

So who's the last guy?

Moeller?

Tom Servo
04-01-2007, 02:17 PM
:pray: Moeller :pray:

Sea Ray
04-01-2007, 02:18 PM
This FO is very closed mouth about the moves they make, and I for one, appreciate it. It's a classy, dignified way to go about this business. We might not like or want Hermanson and Milty pitching for the Reds, but they are guys (nice guys by all accounts) with families, and they are at the end of their careers.

They're not just trading cards, or names on fantasy teams, but are men losing their jobs, losing their livelihood. I do like how Krivsky handles this very tough part of the job.

This isn't about WK or the front office. It's about baseball sense. Any writer with baseball sense could see Hermanson's stuff and the fact he was on a minor league contract, put two and two together and write a column in today's paper entitled "Hermanson's latest outing puts job in jeopardy."

Such a column would not need quotes from WK.

reds44
04-01-2007, 02:18 PM
So who's the last guy?

Moeller?
Either Moeller or Wise.

Gainesville Red
04-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Either Moeller or Wise.

I didn't even realize Wise was still around.

I think he better start looking into lodging in Louisville.

Tom Servo
04-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Either Moeller or Wise.
Wise isn't on the 40 man.

With the Milton thing yet to be resolved (and assuming we're keeping Burton), it will probably come down to Coutlangus, Saarloos, Belisle, or Moeller.

redsfan30
It's got to be Moeller.

reds44
I didn't even realize Wise was still around.

I think he better start looking into lodging in Louisville.
I'd rather have Wise. At least he is fast................and fast.

Can't say the Moeller really does anything well.

reds44
04-01-2007, 02:21 PM

With the Milton thing yet to be resolved (and assuming we're keeping Burton), it will probably come down to Coutlangus, Saarloos, Belisle, or Moeller.
Hermanson wasn't either.

Sea Ray
04-01-2007, 02:21 PM

Are you assuming Santos is already gone?

Tom Servo
04-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Hermanson wasn't either.
That's true, but Wise was already reassigned to minor league camp if I recall correctly.

reds44
04-01-2007, 02:23 PM
That's true, but Wise was already reassigned to minor league camp if I recall correctly.
I don't think he was, but I definatley could be wrong.

Reds Fanatic
04-01-2007, 02:26 PM
What is really amazing about Hermanson being cut is this quote from Jerrry Narron in today's Hal McCoy article:

Our big key is Dustin Hermanson (closer) and we all have confidence in him because he knows how to pitch, pitched in big situations and relishes the ninth inning.

It is amazing the same day that quote comes out they cut Hermanson.

Tom Servo
04-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't think he was, but I definatley could be wrong.
Here it is:
As the roster continues to take shape heading into Monday's Opening Day against the Chicago Cubs, the Reds reassigned four players to minor-league camp: infielder Mark Bellhorn, catcher Ryan Jorgensen, infielder Anderson Machado and outfielder Dewayne Wise.

I got to say, now that I think about it, there's a good chance they could be talking about Santos, as he has yet to be assigned anywhere. But even with Milty going on the DL I don't think that'd put us at 25 men...

Sea Ray
04-01-2007, 02:29 PM

If you count Santos you've got 13 pitchers and one has to go. If you don't count him then you've already got your 25 players. My guess is Milton will be DLed.

Gainesville Red
04-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Also from C. Trent:

And another thing, Wayne was kind of on edge about the whole 25-man roster and the talk of it. He also dropped something about howhe may be at 24 today at 3 p.m. when they must turn in their roster, but there will be 25 tomorrow.

The rotation for the next couple of days is Harang, Arroyo, Lohse, Belisle and then back to Harang. So it looks like Belisle is officially the fifth starter, or maybe the fourth and we'll see who the fifth is. However, that rotation, Narron said, isn't "set in cement"

Tom Servo
04-01-2007, 02:31 PM
And another thing, Wayne was kind of on edge about the whole 25-man roster and the talk of it. He also dropped something about howhe may be at 24 today at 3 p.m. when they must turn in their roster, but there will be 25 tomorrow.

Now that's interesting...

Gainesville Red
04-01-2007, 02:32 PM

Yep, something's up. Very, Very interesting.

Patrick Bateman
04-01-2007, 02:32 PM

Obviously Hermanson was nowhere close to being closer material. How do you go from being the supposed best pitcher on the staff to being cut in matter of days?

Hermanson was never going to be the closer. Fay badly reported the entire situation. He lead us to believe that Hermanson was likely to be the closer, when he was in reality in battle for the final spots in the bullpen. That's a huge difference. Being that far off with the resources he has is unacceptable IMO.

reds44
04-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Also from C. Trent:

The rotation for the next couple of days is Harang, Arroyo, Lohse, Belisle and then back to Harang. So it looks like Belisle is officially the fifth starter, or maybe the fourth and we'll see who the fifth is. However, that rotation, Narron said, isn't "set in cement"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That entire blurb just seems so non-committal. I have to think a trade is coming if he said we could be down to 24 today, but we'll have 25 tomorrow.

edabbs44

Yep...alluding to a trade?

Reds Fanatic
Also from C. Trent:

I would guess what that means is they will get the roster to 25, then DL Milton to make it 24 and then they will put a 25th player on to take Milton's place sometime before tomorrow's game.

reds44
04-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Yep...alluding to a trade?
It has to be, what else would it be?

OnBaseMachine
04-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Good move. I want both Coutlangus and Burton on the 25-man roster and so far that situation is looking more and more likely. I'd also like to see Cormier jettisoned and Salmon's contract purchased from Louisville.

redsmetz
04-01-2007, 02:43 PM

This is an interesting point. I thought about this today and wondered if Milton wasn't going on the DL if this wasn't some sort of a way to move him down in the rotation without having to say he was being demoted there. I'm not sure I think that's the case, but this has been the way WK et al have worked. I think that might be why Fay's going kind of crazy and McCoy has been telling tales about former Reds employees - they may not like not having their former "scoops".

Big Klu
04-01-2007, 02:54 PM
I got to say, now that I think about it, there's a good chance they could be talking about Santos, as he has yet to be assigned anywhere. But even with Milty going on the DL I don't think that'd put us at 25 men...

If you count Santos you've got 13 pitchers and one has to go. If you don't count him then you've already got your 25 players. My guess is Milton will be DLed.

You are correct. Currently, the Reds are carrying 25 players on the active roster:

Starting Eight:
C Ross
1B Hatteberg
2B Phillips
3B Encarnacion
SS Gonzalez
LF Dunn
CF Freel
RF Griffey

Bench (5):
C Moeller
C/1B Valentin
1B/OF Conine
INF Castro
OF Hamilton

Rotation (5):
Harang
Arroyo
Loshe
Belisle
Milton

Bullpen (7):
Weathers
Coffey
Saarloos
Burton
Stanton
Cormier
Coutlangus

One non-roster player:
Santos

Additionally, there are currently six players on (or soon to be added to) the disabled list:
Keppinger
Gil
Denorfia
Hopper
Bray
Ramirez

I think that Guardado (who is a non-roster player) will be added to the 40-man roster and then immediately placed on the 60-day DL, so that number will probably go up to seven.

Also from C. Trent:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That entire blurb just seems so non-committal. I have to think a trade is coming if he said we could be down to 24 today, but we'll have 25 tomorrow.

If they are talking about going to 24 players for today, and then going up to 25 for Opening Day, then I suspect that Milton will be put on the DL, and either Santos or Moeller will be "talked to" about accepting a minor-league assignment, then a trade will be announced. (Reggie Sanders, maybe?)

redsmetz
04-01-2007, 02:57 PM
The plot thickens!

PuffyPig
04-01-2007, 03:06 PM

I'll answer that.

Hermanson was never the closer in anyone's eyes except Fay's. Not last week, not yesterday and certainly not when he woke up.

jimbo
04-01-2007, 03:27 PM
I'll answer that.

Hermanson was never the closer in anyone's eyes except Fay's. Not last week, not yesterday and certainly not when he woke up.

Hmmmm.......wasn't he the closer in Narron's eyes for a while?

Tom Servo
04-01-2007, 03:29 PM
It's a bit unfair to scapegoat Fay, as Hal also wrote many an article about Hermanson being the closer, using many quotes from Narron about how he'll be a big asset in the 9th inning.

WVRedsFan
04-01-2007, 03:39 PM
I'll answer that.

Then Jerry Narron's quote...

"Our big key is Dustin Hermanson (closer) and we all have confidence in him because he knows how to pitch, pitched in big situations and relishes the ninth inning."

...was a lie or a cover up?

edabbs44
04-01-2007, 03:43 PM

"Our big key is Dustin Hermanson (closer) and we all have confidence in him because he knows how to pitch, pitched in big situations and relishes the ninth inning."

Maybe he was talking about the ninth inning when Cincy is losing?

JaxRed
04-01-2007, 03:46 PM
ANd yesterday AAA manager Rick Sweet indicated a trade involving pitchers was in the works.

"The Reds have another move to make," Sweet said. "If they trade a pitcher or two, then Tom Shearn will start."

Patrick Bateman
04-01-2007, 03:47 PM

Translation: he's pitched there before and wants to be the closer.

All that was coach speak. The normal crap that Narron spews out there. That never meant that Narron was ready to annoint him closer. As of a couple days ago he basically said he wouldn't even make the team, so I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised (especially Fay). Hermanson never performed and never showed the stuff that he had during his best year.

WVRedsFan
04-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Translation: he's pitched there before and wants to be the closer.

All that was coach speak. The normal crap that Narron spews out there. That never meant that Narron was ready to annoint him closer. As of a couple days ago he basically said he wouldn't even make the team, so I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised (especially Fay). Hermanson never performed and never showed the stuff that he had during his best year.

Exactly. Like you say, this is Narron all the way. Those who believe anything he says might be better off to just ignore it.

Tommyjohn25
04-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Also from C. Trent:

Welllll.......tick tock tick tock tick tock........

cincrazy
04-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Jerry Narron and Wayne Krivsky gave every indication that Hermanson was going to be the closer. Hermanson looked good early on, stats wise at least, it's not like he was getting banged around. I think everyone was optimistic about that, and for a while, I do think he was the closer. Fay and McCoy both did an admirable job. Every now and then, writer's get blindsided, it happens. There's nothing in a manager's or general manager's contract that says they have to make a writer look good and let him know of what they're thinking every minute of every day. I'm sure Hal and John aren't sitting back drinking martini's by the ocean instead of doing their job's.

However, I do agree with you on one point. Something should have been written about his 4 runs in one third of an inning outing. When a guy is on a minor league contract and has been rocked 2 or 3 times in a row, it's quite obvious he needs to look good to keep his spot. He looked good early on, but I think everyone knew the last 3 or 4 days it probably wasn't going to work out. Hal and John most certainly could see that... but they were waiting on Narron or WK to say that before reporting it... which isn't BAD journalism, but it is cautious journalism, which sometimes backfires (as it obviously did here).

reds44
04-01-2007, 04:14 PM
The deadline has passed, so something must have been done by now.

I'll guess with know soon.

jojo
04-01-2007, 04:14 PM

I think that quote was made soon after DH started in camp and I think the Reds believed at the time that DH's velocity would come back...

Tommyjohn25
04-01-2007, 04:19 PM

Part of me loves the feeling of a possible transaction, but it's downright painful waiting at the same time.

Reds Fanatic
04-01-2007, 04:20 PM

Here it is from C. Trent - Milton to the DL and Santos is not on the roster.

Just got handed the roster, and it is indeed 24 players.

Victor Santos, who was a non-roster invitee, is not on the roster and Eric Milton is on the disabled lit retroactive to March 23 with a lower back injury.

Patrick Bateman
04-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Here it is from C. Trent - Milton to the DL and Santos is not on the roster.

I'm guessing Burton and Coutlangus make the cut.

M2
04-01-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm guessing Hermanson pitched himself off the team yesterday. Nice to see the team not give a veteran a free pass.

Marc D
04-01-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm guessing Hermanson pitched himself off the team yesterday. Nice to see the team not give a veteran a free pass.

Trying not be a pessamist but I'm a bit uncomfortable knowing the rest of MLB took a pass on DH after his open workout and it took our organization untill the 23rd hour to reach the same conclusion.

Maybe its just me, regardless I'm glad he's gone. We are a better team now than we were with Milton and DH.

harangatang
04-01-2007, 05:29 PM
It's the top headline on MLB.com news right now for those who may believe this is an April Fool's joke.

Patrick Bateman
04-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Trying not be a pessamist but I'm a bit uncomfortable knowing the rest of MLB took a pass on DH after his open workout and it took our organization untill the 23rd hour to reach the same conclusion.

Maybe its just me, regardless I'm glad he's gone. We are a better team now than we were with Milton and DH.

Well I think it was the Reds way of giving a guy every chance to show that he's still got something left. If he could regain some velocity he could have been an asset.

Being a risk free move, I have no problem giving Hermanson every possible chance in spring training. Since he couldn't show the right stuff, Krivsky made the according decision.

Sea Ray
04-01-2007, 06:13 PM
I think that quote was made soon after DH started in camp and I think the Reds believed at the time that DH's velocity would come back...

I don't know about that. Sounds like his velocity was back. Once again, look at Hal McCoy's article a week ago that I referenced earlier:

What pleased Krivsky and Pole was that in Hermanson's last outing, he hit 90 miles an hour on the radar gun after throwing mostly 87-88 in his previous three appearances, an indication that his arm, shoulder and most importantly, his back, are strengthening daily.

If he was throwing 90 mph themn his velocity was back. No one was ever expecting him to hit mid 90s.

KronoRed
04-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Woohoo, Krivsky gets points today :D

Cooper
04-01-2007, 06:33 PM
I don't see how McCoy or Fay could have known ahead of time. The coaches were all saying they were going with DH as closer and in the past they have Always gone with the veteran.

I'm shocked.

Candy Cummings
04-01-2007, 06:36 PM
I don't know what the big deal is about giving him a roll. We didn't have anything to lose and it might have worked out.

Patrick Bateman
04-01-2007, 06:40 PM
I don't see how McCoy or Fay could have known ahead of time. The coaches were all saying they were going with DH as closer and in the past they have Always gone with the veteran.

I'm shocked.

Wll Narron said a couple of days ago that there were 2 remaining bullpen slots and the choices were Burton, Coutlangus, and Santos. Since we already knew the other 5 guys who had spots, it was easy to assume Hermanson was 1)not making the team and 2)not the closer

As of today they still thought Hermanson may be the closer even though there was information available to the public that stated the complete opposite.

jojo
04-01-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't know about that. Sounds like his velocity was back. Once again, look at Hal McCoy's article a week ago that I referenced earlier:

If he was throwing 90 mph themn his velocity was back. No one was ever expecting him to hit mid 90s.

Apparently the gun yesterday was more accurate than the one they used two weeks ago.

Caveat Emperor
04-01-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't know what the big deal is about giving him a roll. We didn't have anything to lose and it might have worked out.

Agreed -- though the worry with this team is that "taking a look" seems to frequently turn into "gauranteed roster spot" with washed-up veterans.

Sea Ray
04-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Apparently the gun yesterday was more accurate than the one they used two weeks ago.
I don't know what the gun said but I do know what the Marlins bats said.

Who says pre-season games don't mean anything? In retrospect yesterday's game in Dayton meant a ton to Dustin Hermanson. I wonder if he'd set them down 1-2-3 if he'd have been offered a major league contract today with a $500,000 guarantee?

PuffyPig
04-01-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't know what the gun said but I do know what the Marlins bats said.

Who says pre-season games don't mean anything? In retrospect yesterday's game in Dayton meant a ton to Dustin Hermanson. I wonder if he'd set them down 1-2-3 if he'd have been offered a major league contract today with a $500,000 guarantee?

The decision on Hermanson was based on his lost velocity, not the results from yesterday. Unless he added some MPH to his fastball yesterday, he was gone.

Red Leader
04-01-2007, 07:27 PM
The decision on Hermanson was based on his lost velocity, not the results from yesterday. Unless he added some MPH to his fastball yesterday, he was gone.

The decision on Hermanson, IMO, was made shortly after signing him. The Reds wanted to see what he had. They also wanted strongly for him to go to Louisville if they didn't think he was where he needed to be. They signed him with the hope that they could convince him to go to AAA at the beginning of the year (IMO, that's the reason for all of the Hermanson is the Reds closer pimping all spring). Hermanson didn't want to go to Louisville. He wants to be on a major league roster. If he had decided to go down to Louisville, my guess is he would have been the Reds closer by the end of May. Since he didn't want to go to Louisville, he's going to try and catch on somewhere else if possible. I don't think he'll find a team that's interested at this point.

coachw513
04-01-2007, 08:33 PM
1st thought: WK and Narron have it figured out much, much better than many of us believe...

Next thought: Fay and McCoy are in a business where you report what you are seeing and hearing...virtually ALL of us saw the Reds lining Hermanson up to be the closer...we ALL would've written the same things had we been given the chance (along with a few choice negative thoughts about it)...its apparent the Reds have been very tight-lipped regarding all personnel decisions this off season...it is both appropriate and professional to do so and for one, I'm glad this is our franchise's approach...

Final thought: I am more convinced than ever that we are BETTER, MUCH BETTER than a year ago...but tis' the season for optimism for the next 18 hours or so :thumbup:

JaxRed
04-01-2007, 08:42 PM
As I said in the predictions thread.....

"One of the great secrets to the Krivsky success has been his unwillingness to let guys keep going out there and get torched as the prior GM had allowed. "

Tony Cloninger
04-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I wonder what the 3 announcers comments will be about their "veteran" being cut. They seemed to want him as the closer.

Sea Ray
04-01-2007, 09:08 PM
The decision on Hermanson, IMO, was made shortly after signing him. The Reds wanted to see what he had. They also wanted strongly for him to go to Louisville if they didn't think he was where he needed to be. They signed him with the hope that they could convince him to go to AAA at the beginning of the year (IMO, that's the reason for all of the Hermanson is the Reds closer pimping all spring). Hermanson didn't want to go to Louisville. He wants to be on a major league roster. If he had decided to go down to Louisville, my guess is he would have been the Reds closer by the end of May. Since he didn't want to go to Louisville, he's going to try and catch on somewhere else if possible. I don't think he'll find a team that's interested at this point.

If that's the way they felt then they could have saved themselves a lot of time by telling him that from the get go. I can't believe he would have signed if the Reds made it clear that they strongly wanted him to go to AAA, 'cause he clearly was not interested in doing any time in the minors.

The way it's been spun in the Press is that he would make the team no matter what as long as he proved he was 100% healthy. I've heard of no injury issues so my guess is he got cut 'cause his stuff was not better than the other options we have.

jojo
04-02-2007, 11:18 PM
If that's the way they felt then they could have saved themselves a lot of time by telling him that from the get go. I can't believe he would have signed if the Reds made it clear that they strongly wanted him to go to AAA, 'cause he clearly was not interested in doing any time in the minors.

The way it's been spun in the Press is that he would make the team no matter what as long as he proved he was 100% healthy. I've heard of no injury issues so my guess is he got cut 'cause his stuff was not better than the other options we have.

The reds signed him hoping he'd accept and assignment....he signed his only offer hoping he'd pitch well enough to ake the roster...there's no spin there...just typical spring training dice rolling..