PDA

View Full Version : Milton on the DL, Santos not on the roster

Reds Fanatic
04-01-2007, 04:22 PM
From C. Trent's blog. This gets the roster to 24 at this point.

Just got handed the roster, and it is indeed 24 players.

Victor Santos, who was a non-roster invitee, is not on the roster and Eric Milton is on the disabled lit retroactive to March 23 with a lower back injury.

reds44
04-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Does that mean Moeller's not on it?

YAHOO

Glad to see Milton is on the DL. Looks like most of us get the Harang, Arroyo, Loshe, Belisle, Saarloos rotation we wanted.

Good job Wayne, I gotta think an OFer is coming via trade.

OnBaseMachine
04-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Gotta be a trade in the works.

So, Cormier is on the roster? That sucks. Trade or release him and callup Brad Salmon.

LawFive
04-01-2007, 04:29 PM
still could use another 2B-SS capable body, too...only backup is Manos de Oro

Falls City Beer
04-01-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm just going to relish the fact that I don't have to endure a Milton start in the first cycle through the rotation. Baby steps.

reds44
04-01-2007, 04:30 PM
still could use another 2B-SS capable body, too...only backup is Manos de Oro
Well, Freel still has the ability to play 2nd.

Another reason why we could use another outfielder.

Tom Servo
04-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Gotta figure Wayne's shopping for a right handed outfielder.

Danny Serafini
04-01-2007, 04:34 PM
There's only 11 pitchers right now, wouldn't surprise me if this move coming up is a pitcher being brought in from elsewhere.

Patrick Bateman
04-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Does that mean Moeller's not on it?

YAHOO

No I think that's wrong. The 5th guy not on the roster is due to the 5th pitcher slot with Milton DL'd.

Moeller is probably on it.

flyer85
04-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Gotta figure Wayne's shopping for a right handed outfielder.
that would make the sense

Cyclone792
04-01-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm just going to relish the fact that I don't have to endure a Milton start in the first cycle through the rotation. Baby steps.

Yup. It's not exactly as phenomenal as Milton being cut, but at least this means for now that Milton's not in the rotation. The hope is that something transpires in the next few days or weeks that enables the Reds to ship Milton from the DL directly to the curb without the unnecessary detour through the Reds rotation.

OnBaseMachine
04-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Burton and Coutlangus are two of those 11 pitchers, right?

reds44
04-01-2007, 04:36 PM
There's only 11 pitchers right now, wouldn't surprise me if this move coming up is a pitcher being brought in from elsewhere.
Harang
Arroyo
Loshe
Belisle
Saarloos

Weathers
Stanton
Cormier
Coutlangus
Coffey
Burton

Good point, that's only 11. Maybe it's a pitcher that's being traded for.

Tommyjohn25
04-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Burton and Coutlangus are two of those 11 pitchers, right?

If I'm not mistaken, yes.

Tom Servo
04-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Good point, that's only 11. Maybe it's a pitcher that's being traded for.
It would have to be someone worthwhile though or else why not just keep Santos and his 0.00 ERA?

reds44
04-01-2007, 04:39 PM
No I think that's wrong. The 5th guy not on the roster is due to the 5th pitcher slot with Milton DL'd.

Moeller is probably on it.

Harang
Arroyo
Loshe
Belisle
Saarloos

Weathers
Stanton
Cormier
Coutlangus
Coffey
Burton

Valentin
Ross

Castro
Conine
Edwin
Gonzalez
Hatteberg
Phillips

Dunn
Freel
Griffey
Hamilton

Yep that's only 23. Moeller's on it a of now. *SIGH*

reds44
04-01-2007, 04:40 PM
It would have to be someone worthwhile though or else why not just keep Santos and his 0.00 ERA?
Well, Spring Training stats are pretty meaningless, especially when you consider the time of the games Santos was pitching.

Cedric
04-01-2007, 04:41 PM
I would love if they stuck with 11 pitchers.

MartyFan
04-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Perhaps Santos goes to another team in a trade?

If he is a ML ready minor leaguer that may be more appealing for another team to bite on...maybe the BoSox along with Cormier?

deltachi8
04-01-2007, 04:56 PM
they don't need a 5th starter for a week or so, so 11 pitchers fits as of now.

Jpup
04-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Let's look at the DFA'd OFers:

Marlon Byrd
Alexis Gomez
Louis Matos-released
Dave Krynzel
Alex Sanchez-released
Charlton Jimerson-released
Karim Garcia

also Eduardo Perez was released and that could put Jeff Conine as the extra outfielder. I also noticed that St. Louis released Ricardo Rincon. Pittsburgh also released Dan Kolb and Tampa released Dan Miceli.

If it's not a trade I would think those are some of the names if someone is coming for the outside.

edabbs44
04-01-2007, 05:02 PM

Marlon Byrd
Alexis Gomez
Louis Matos-released
Dave Krynzel
Alex Sanchez-released
Karim Garcia

also Eduardo Perez was released and that could put Jeff Conine as the extra outfielder. I also noticed that St. Louis released Ricardo Rincon. Pittsburgh also released Dan Kolb and Tampa released Dan Miceli.

If it's not a trade I would think those are some of the names if someone is coming for the outside.

I'd love to see tham get Perez...but in place of Conine.

M2
04-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Dave Krynzel might be a useful bench player. He had a good spring with the D-Backs.

OnBaseMachine
04-01-2007, 05:28 PM
J.D. Durbin was sent to Triple-A by the Twins and Royalsfan on Redslive says the Twins are unhappy with Durbin. I wouldn't mind seeing Krivsky swing a deal for him if he can be had cheaply.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/D/J.D.-Durbin.shtml

PuffyPig
04-01-2007, 05:29 PM
they don't need a 5th starter for a week or so, so 11 pitchers fits as of now.

THey will need the 5th starter for the first time on Sunday, April 8.

Wheelhouse
04-01-2007, 05:47 PM
My guess--a deal is in the works with the Angels (Colon and Weaver on DL) or Detroit (Rogers on DL) for one of our starters. I would guess Lohse as the Reds would now part with him and he has had some success in the AL in the past. But we're talking two major contenders who have some gaping holes to deal with and with the Reds having (gasp) some starting pitching, the shoe may drop on a trade.

deltachi8
04-01-2007, 05:49 PM
THey will need the 5th starter for the first time on Sunday, April 8.

Enough time for Milton to be activated....

reds44
04-01-2007, 05:49 PM

Marlon Byrd
Alexis Gomez
Louis Matos-released
Dave Krynzel
Alex Sanchez-released
Karim Garcia

How many of them are right handed though?

Marlon Byrd kind of interests me, but not really.

Patrick Bateman
04-01-2007, 05:53 PM
My guess--a deal is in the works with the Angels (Colon and Weaver on DL) or Detroit (Rogers on DL) for one of our starters. I would guess Lohse as the Reds would now part with him and he has had some success in the AL in the past. But we're talking two major contenders who have some gaping holes to deal with and with the Reds having (gasp) some starting pitching, the shoe may drop on a trade.

That's a pretty awful guess IMO.

Krivsky basically said that the 25th spot is due to a player acquisition or Santos. It's not much of a mystery. We are looking to add another player, presumably a pitcher, not get rid of one.

Plus Krivsky has banked a lot on Lohse to be a decent starter. His roster spot has been safe from the start. He wont be dealt at the beginning of the season. No chance.

Tom Servo
04-01-2007, 05:55 PM
How many of them are right handed though?

Marlon Byrd kind of interests me, but not really.
Byrd, Matos, and Jimerson are righties.

PuffyPig
04-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Rogers on the DL still leaves the Tigers with enough starters to not be interested in what the Reds have to offer. The Reds don't have any depth at starting pitching that I'm aware of. Why would the Reds trade Lohse as he represents our best chance of a viable #3 (such as it is). It's more likely the Reds will pick up a starter than trade one who's currently in the rotation, though each is very unlikely. The Reds would dump Milton, but that's a pipedream.

redsrule2500
04-01-2007, 05:58 PM
So wait, this isn't April Fools?

Wheelhouse
04-01-2007, 06:12 PM
That's a pretty awful guess IMO.

Krivsky basically said that the 25th spot is due to a player acquisition or Santos. It's not much of a mystery. We are looking to add another player, presumably a pitcher, not get rid of one.

Plus Krivsky has banked a lot on Lohse to be a decent starter. His roster spot has been safe from the start. He wont be dealt at the beginning of the season. No chance.

A) I think there may be more faith on the coaching staff in Livingston and Saarloos than Lohse.
B) One obviously looks at what teams NEED to deal now if there is a trade implied by Krivsky. Those two teams are the Angels and Tigers. And they are looking for a starter.
C) Lohse is worth something--he has good stuff and is an experienced starter and a reasonable contract. The Reds might be able to get tremendous value for him now.

I can see:
Harang
Arroyo
Belisle
Saarloos
Livingston

Patrick Bateman
04-01-2007, 06:19 PM
A) I think there may be more faith on the coaching staff in Livingston and Saarloos than Lohse.
B) One obviously looks at what teams NEED to deal now if there is a trade implied by Krivsky. Those two teams are the Angels and Tigers. And they are looking for a starter.
C) Lohse is worth something--he has good stuff and is an experienced starter and a reasonable contract. The Reds might be able to get tremendous value for him now.

I can see:
Harang
Arroyo
Belisle
Saarloos
Livingston

What has made you come to that conclusion?

I think Krivsky loves the idea of having lots of rotation depth. if some of these guys like Lohse falter then Livinsgston will get his chance. With the team trying to compete this year, they will need more than 5 starters likely. trading away some of the better options is not a very good idea, and not something that Krivsky has preached since he's become GM.

Reds Fanatic
04-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Here is the latest update from C. Trent:

Wayne said: "We’re keeping you in suspense another day. We’ve got 24, we’ll add someone else tomorrow before the game. We won’t play with 24 players tomorrow, I assure you. I can’t really go into all the details. It could be Santos, it could be somebody else. It could be somebody here, it could be somebody somewhere else."

Talked to Victor, who was taking it in stride. "Nothing I can do."

Also, Jerry on the closer situation: "We don’t have a set closer -- David Weathers, Mike Stanton, Todd Coffey, Kirk Saarloos - all those guys at the end of the game, we feel that with that combination we can get it done."

OK, and had to run down to the field to get the rest of the stuff, here's the roster as it stands with 24 folks:

Pitchers (11)
Bronson Arroyo
Matt Belisle
Jared Burton
Todd Coffey
Rheal Cormier
Jon Coutlangus
Aaron Harang
Kyle Lohse
Kirk Saarloos
Mike Stanton
David Weathers

Infielders (6)
Juan Castro
Jeff Conine
Edwin Encarnacion
Alex Gonzalez
Scott Hatteberg
Brandon Phillips

Outfielders (4)
Adam Dunn
Ryan Freel
Ken Griffey Jr.
Josh Hamilton

Catchers (3)
Chad Moeller
David Ross
Javier Valentin

Disabled list (8)
Bill Bray
Chris Denorfia
Jerry Gil
Eddie Guardado
Norris Hopper
Jeff Keppinger
Eric Milton
Elizardo Ramirez

Wheelhouse
04-01-2007, 06:28 PM
What has made you come to that conclusion?

I think Krivsky loves the idea of having lots of rotation depth. if some of these guys like Lohse falter then Livinsgston will get his chance. With the team trying to compete this year, they will need more than 5 starters likely. trading away some of the better options is not a very good idea, and not something that Krivsky has preached since he's become GM.

The reason I think this might be a possibility is that Detroit needs to deal and Anaheim must deal for a starter-- Krivsky could possibly put those teams over a barrel for Lohse. I don't think Krivsky has had Lohse on the block, I just think that given the Reds depth, and other teams severe needs, Lohse could go and the Reds might get a good deal back in return.

PuffyPig
04-01-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't think Krivsky has had Lohse on the block, I just think that given the Reds depth, and other teams severe needs, Lohse could go and the Reds might get a good deal back in return.

That's the problem, we don't have good depth in the starting rotation. We likely need Lohse to have a good season for us to contend.

Benihana
04-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Wait, did I miss something? Hermanson is not the closer? Is he on the roster? Is Todd Coffey gonna be the guy???

Red Leader
04-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Wait, did I miss something? Hermanson is not the closer? Is he on the roster? Is Todd Coffey gonna be the guy???

Hermanson was cut earlier today.

Reds will go into the season with Weathers / Stanton as the closers, probably Coffey and Burton in the wings.

Candy Cummings
04-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Imagine being over the barrel for Kyle Lohse. Ouch.

Az. Reds Fan
04-01-2007, 06:41 PM
J.D. Durbin was sent to Triple-A by the Twins and Royalsfan on Redslive says the Twins are unhappy with Durbin. I wouldn't mind seeing Krivsky swing a deal for him if he can be had cheaply.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/D/J.D.-Durbin.shtml

Durbin was claimed by the D'backs and is on their 25 man roster

Caveat Emperor
04-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Harang
Arroyo
Loshe
Belisle
Saarloos

Wow.

No Eric Milton.
No Paul Wilson.
No Jimmy Haynes.
No Joey Hamilton.
No Jimmy Anderson.
No Ramon Ortiz.
No Dave Williams.

I can't remember the last time the Reds had a rotation where there wasn't a name on the list of 5 that gave me intestinal discomfort. Kyle Lohse comes close, but still...

Marc D
04-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Wow.

No Eric Milton.
No Paul Wilson.
No Jimmy Haynes.
No Joey Hamilton.
No Jimmy Anderson.
No Ramon Ortiz.
No Dave Williams.

I can't remember the last time the Reds had a rotation where there wasn't a name on the list of 5 that gave me intestinal discomfort. Kyle Lohse comes close, but still...

Agreed.

Also, Arroyo is the old man at 30. These guys still give you realistic hope for some improvement (well maybe not Lohse). I know the back 2/3 isn't anything to write home about but its the best starting 5 we've had in ages. I'll take it.

BRM
04-02-2007, 10:26 AM
I would love if they stuck with 11 pitchers.

Me too. Especially since they are hell-bent on carrying 3 catchers. 3 catchers and 12 pitchers makes for a very thin bench.