PDA

View Full Version : Pinch Hitting

Grounds_Crew
04-01-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm listening online to 7 hunnid, lol...

Anyway, they are talking about the Reds pinch hitters. For example, if Freel starts in CF, then our options for pinch hitting will include Conine, Hamilton and Valentin. Not bad! 700 WLW seems to think that is among the best in MLB. Comments on that?

I seem to think that Freel...after a few weeks...will return to being the Red's utility player and Hamilton will be our starting CF! Yep...I said it! :mooner:

Highlifeman21
04-01-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm listening online to 7 hunnid, lol...

Anyway, they are talking about the Reds pinch hitters. For example, if Freel starts in CF, then our options for pinch hitting will include Conine, Hamilton and Valentin. Not bad! 700 WLW seems to think that is among the best in MLB. Comments on that?

I seem to think that Freel...after a few weeks...will return to being the Red's utility player and Hamilton will be our starting CF! Yep...I said it! :mooner:

If Freel is the starting CF after June 1st, I will be very surprised.

He should platoon in RF with Griffey, and Hamilton should be the everyday CF, now that Denorfia is hurt.

Hamilton is far superior to Freel defensively, and since Krivsky's slingin around that mud he calls "defense", he might as well put his money where his mouth is.

Grounds_Crew
04-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Hmmm....good point! I like the idea of Freel and Junior sharing time in RF in order to keep BOTH of them healthy.

If Hamiliton's numbers stay consistent I think we may get our wish....

...but you forgot to talk about pinch hitting! ;)

Dunner44
04-01-2007, 05:33 PM
I like those three. Even the old man/ mr. hatt is good for a hit in the clutch. But who hits after them? And Javy isn't that great of a Pinch hitter...

http://www.nd.edu/~rkiley/javy.jpg

Last season Javy batted .111 against lefties. He is the most overrated switch hitter ever.

Here are his PH stats: 52 AB, 12 H, 4 HR (This is the one impressive part), 3 BB, 11 Ks, .231 BA, .273 OBP, .462 SLG, .734 OPS

His batting average as a PH ranks 24th in the NL... among catchers (6th among NL catchers with more than 10 PH ABs)

TOBTTReds
04-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Last season Javy batted .111 against lefties. He is the most overrated switch hitter ever.

Here are his PH stats: 52 AB, 12 H, 4 HR (This is the one impressive part), 3 BB, 11 Ks, .231 BA, .273 OBP, .462 SLG, .734 OPS

Don't you have to be rated as a switch hitter before you can be overrated? I didn't know anyone would want him to bat RH. I would be surprised if he had more than 2 PH AB's as a righty last year. If he did, I hope he was the last on the bench, or shame on JN.

Also, I will take those stats for him off the bench.

Dunner44
04-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Don't you have to be rated as a switch hitter before you can be overrated? I didn't know anyone would want him to bat RH. I would be surprised if he had more than 2 PH AB's as a righty last year. If he did, I hope he was the last on the bench, or shame on JN.

Also, I will take those stats for him off the bench.

Okay, so only 18 ABs as a right handed batter, not enought to qualify.. but when people talk about Javy, they mention his ability to switch hit as a strength. Clearly it isn't. In those 18 ABs he had 6 Ks. But every time he was in there against a left handed pitcher, he batted switch. He has 18 plate appearences last year against lefties, and batted all 18 as a right hander. And had a .111 average. Small sample size, but it doesn't look too good. There's a reason he isn't used against lefties often.

Highlifeman21
04-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Hmmm....good point! I like the idea of Freel and Junior sharing time in RF in order to keep BOTH of them healthy.

If Hamiliton's numbers stay consistent I think we may get our wish....

...but you forgot to talk about pinch hitting! ;)

My mistake, I'll talk about pinch hitting.

Right now, I know of 1 Red I never want to see pinch hitting.... Juan Castro.

If this guy makes the team, I know of another Red I never want to see pinch hitting.... Chad Moeller.

Better?