PDA

View Full Version : Ken Rosenthal predicts Griffey dealt at trade deadline; Comeback award for Hamilton

Tom Servo
04-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Doesn't mean much, but interesting to note. Perhaps with the articles we heard about Junior saying "I work in Cincinnati" and his frustration with the media over the move from CF, he would be open to a trade at the deadline to a contender?

MVP: Albert Pujols, Cardinals. This time, there will be no debate.
Cy Young: Chris Carpenter, Cardinals. I pick him every year.

Rookie: Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies. The game's next outstanding shortstop.

Manager: Grady Little, Dodgers. 92-win average in three seasons with Red Sox and Dodgers.

Batting champ: Chase Utley, Phillies.

Comeback player: Josh Hamilton, Reds.

Bounceback player: Tim Hudson, Braves.

Breakout player: Stephen Drew, Diamondbacks.

Manager most in trouble: Clint Hurdle, Rockies.

Biggest name traded at deadline: Ken Griffey Jr., Reds.

AMERICAN LEAGUE
MVP: Alex Rodriguez, Yankees. In unreal physical condition.

Cy Young: Johan Santana, Twins. Duh.

Rookie: Alex Gordon, Royals. Dice-K and Delmon Young worthy challengers.

Manager: Mike Scioscia, Angels. Deserving every season.

Comeback player: Darin Erstad, White Sox.

Bounceback player: Mark Buehrle, White Sox.

Breakout player: Felix Hernandez, Mariners.

Batting champ: Robinson Cano, Yankees.

Manager most in trouble: Mike Hargrove, Mariners.

Biggest name traded at deadline: Mike Sweeney, Royals.

Patrick Bateman
04-01-2007, 04:35 PM
how does Hamilton win the comeback player of the year? He never had any major league success.

ROY would make more sense. If he has any kind of year I'm sure he would get plenty of votes.

PuffyPig
04-01-2007, 04:48 PM
how does Hamilton win the comeback player of the year? He never had any major league success.

ROY would make more sense. If he has any kind of year I'm sure he would get plenty of votes.

He's gone from "elite prospect status" to "in the gutter" to "elite prospect staus" I guess. It's actually quite a comeback when you consider it, but certainly not in the conventional sense.

Patrick Bateman
04-01-2007, 05:01 PM
He's gone from "elite prospect status" to "in the gutter" to "elite prospect staus" I guess. It's actually quite a comeback when you consider it, but certainly not in the conventional sense.

It is certainly a "comeback" of sorts, but is the award not reserved for players that have stumbled at the major league level (either due to a bad year or injury). It's a comback in the sense of returning to glory. Hamilton has never really been there at the major league level.

Handofdeath
04-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Sweeney has the same problem as Jr. does, he's got a high priced contract but he never plays because he's always hurt. He's not going anywhere.

Candy Cummings
04-01-2007, 05:41 PM
At this point, if the contender were desperate enough, that might work for us.

jojo
04-01-2007, 06:02 PM
He forgot GM of the year.....that one goes to Krivsky if he convinces someone to take Griffey and his remaining $29M (assuming a buyout of '09).

PuffyPig
04-01-2007, 06:15 PM
He forgot GM of the year.....that one goes to Krivsky if he convinces someone to take Griffey and his remaining $29M (assuming a buyout of '09).

The Reds will never be able to get someone to pay the deferred part of Griffey's contract, nor would they realistically try.

edabbs44
04-01-2007, 06:16 PM
And for the 5th consecutive season, the "biggest name traded at deadline" award goes to....Ken Griffey Jr!!!

PuffyPig
04-01-2007, 06:18 PM
It is certainly a "comeback" of sorts, but is the award not reserved for players that have stumbled at the major league level (either due to a bad year or injury). It's a comback in the sense of returning to glory. Hamilton has never really been there at the major league level.

If Hamilton has a reasoable year (whatever that means), he'll have made a major comeback.

The award is reserved for those that have comeback. While it's normally been given to those that have been successful at the major league level, it wouldn't surprise me if Hamilton could win it.

His comeback would be of monumental proportions and would, IMO, be consistent with the spirit of the award.

harangatang
04-01-2007, 06:25 PM
He forgot GM of the year.....that one goes to Krivsky if he convinces someone to take Griffey and his remaining $29M (assuming a buyout of '09).The sad part is if Griffey can remain healthy or if Krivsky can convince another team Griffey can remain healthy, the salary isn't that much any more. Today's baseball world gives approximately the same money to mediocre players like Gary Matthews Jr., Gil Meche, etc. It would actually be a bargain if Griffey produced at his full potential at the salary he's making. If Griffey can find a way to stay healthy I don't see a reason why the Reds couldn't only just move him but could actually get something decent in return.

jojo
04-01-2007, 07:35 PM
The Reds will never be able to get someone to pay the deferred part of Griffey's contract, nor would they realistically try.

thats not the deferred part.....

Highlifeman21
04-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Manager most in trouble: Clint Hurdle, Rockies.

That should read "Jerry Narron"

Although, there should be zero debate, Narron should be gone during the year, or at the latest, at the end of the year.

At least I can hope.

cincinnati chili
04-01-2007, 10:32 PM

Agreed. Derrek Lee is a likely candidate for the comeback award. Hamilton is a good candidate for the come award.

Wheelhouse
04-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Hamilton cannot win comeback player as he has no Major League career to comeback to. He could win Rookie of the Year. Grady Little having averaged 92 wins with teams with MASSIVE payrolls is supposed to make him Manager of the Year?

Griffey will not be traded unless he wants to be, which is not likely, if the Reds can even sniff a playoff spot.

M2
04-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Griffey will not be traded unless he wants to be, which is not likely, if the Reds can even sniff a playoff spot.

Home is in Florida. He just works in Cincinnati.

mth123
04-04-2007, 06:04 AM
Home is in Florida. He just works in Cincinnati.

And I don't see TB or the Marlins being interested. Atl would probably need to be in the race and hit with an injury (and the Reds would have to pay).

Griffey would probably want some $ to waive his rights.

Reds are probably better off just keeping him in RF. It would cost too much to trade him now. He and Freel will miss enough time that Hamilton will get plenty of ABs. BTW Griffey still provides a power threat that the team is short on now.

We might see our first glimpse of this tonight (April 4). Cold weather, wet field, day game tomorrow. Odds are good that Griffey sits tonight and plays tomorrow.

BRM
04-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Of course, Junior would have to be healthy to be dealt at the deadline and that's pretty unlikely IMO.

M2
04-04-2007, 10:14 AM
And I don't see TB or the Marlins being interested. Atl would probably need to be in the race and hit with an injury (and the Reds would have to pay).

My take is Jr. would be open to a lot more than the two Florida teams and Atlanta. If you can "work" in Cincinnati, it seems to me that Houston, Dallas, Chicago, St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston are all viable options too. Jr. made it crystal clear that he views his presence on the Reds as a job. That strikes me as a guy who'll leap at the chance to play elsewhere.

In fact, I'd guess that if he got a chance to chase a ring with another club, he wouldn't ask for an extra dime. He's already rich, why haggle your way out of a chance at rejuvenation?

jojo
04-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Griffey would probably want some $ to waive his rights.

I think he's virtually untradeable with his contract. In order to agree, he's certain to ask that his option year be guaranteed. I just don't see how you'd convince a team that Griffey could help enough in a playoff run this year to make '08 and '09 worth it.

This of course all assumes Griffey has a good enough year this season to even be trade bait...

RedEye
04-04-2007, 02:24 PM

Do we know that it is written in stone somewhere that the Comeback Player of the Year has to be coming back from ML level injury/futility? If Hamilton has high profile success this year (and he's certainly primed to do that given the media's fascination with him) he should be a shoe-in for the award as long as it's not clearly defined.

Plus, I'm sure a Hollywood studio has already bought the movie rights by then and will have significant lobbying power. After all, an award ceremony always makes a shamelessly tear-inducing ending for a feel-good human interest story (think A BEAUTIFUL MIND when he thanks his wife). :D

TheBigLebowski
04-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Hamilton is a good candidate for the come award.

I'll just leave this alone.

mth123
04-04-2007, 09:22 PM
In fact, I'd guess that if he got a chance to chase a ring with another club, he wouldn't ask for an extra dime. He's already rich, why haggle your way out of a chance at rejuvenation?

I'm not sure. If he wanted a ring why not stay in Seattle? Didn't they still have A-Rod and Randy Johnson at the time? I think he wants to be in Cincinnati. Its true he lives in Fla, but he has ties to Cincy. I don't know where his family or his wife's family live, but I think there are more feelings of home in Cincy than those other places and I think its important to him.

M2
04-05-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm not sure. If he wanted a ring why not stay in Seattle? Didn't they still have A-Rod and Randy Johnson at the time? I think he wants to be in Cincinnati. Its true he lives in Fla, but he has ties to Cincy. I don't know where his family or his wife's family live, but I think there are more feelings of home in Cincy than those other places and I think its important to him.

We forget, but at the time Jr. came over the Reds looked like the team with the better chance of competing and the brighter future. It was a young team with what was perceived as a strong bunch of prospects in the minors. Jr. also deferred money with the stated intent of allowing the club to spend extra to put together a really top flight team. The spending never came and the team went in the opposite direction.

Chip R
04-05-2007, 08:55 PM
The White Sox were interested in him a couple of years ago. If you believe that Jr. was not enthusiastic about switching to RF, you would have to think he would be downright grumpy about being a DH. You have to figure if he goes to an AL team, they will use him as a DH. Jr. knows that, he isn't stupid. Plus he is going to have to learn a lot of new pitchers. Not everyone is still around from 1999. Unless he is guaranteed to play in the field, he may veto a trade to an AL team regardless of whether it is a contender or not.