PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Davies?

Newman4
04-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Any interest? Would the Braves part with him?

From mlb.com

-- Hopeful that Lance Cormier won't have to miss a start, the Braves optioned Kyle Davies to Triple-A Richmond on Friday night.
Davies lost out to Mark Redman and Cormier for the final two spots in the rotation behind John Smoltz, Tim Hudson and Chuck James.

"I did all I could," Davies said. "It's not the end of the world to have to start down there. I'll be back. I know I can pitch up here."

The right-hander was 2-0 with a 2.84 ERA in five Grapefruit League starts, but he walked nine in 19 innings.

The Braves want Davies to be more consistent, and they hope an altered windup will help his control. Instead of going over his head with his hands, he now is stopping below his chin.

"It helps me keep the ball down," the 23-year-old said. "It feels comfortable. It's the way I did it before they had me change, my second year in the Minors."

Davies was 7-6 after being called up from Richmond in 2005. However, he suffered a torn groin last May and finished 3-7.

Team Clark
04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Big fan of Davies but he's not polished. If he gets to that point he could be lights out. Kerry Wood type "stuff".

cacollinsmba
04-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Any interest? Would the Braves part with him?

From mlb.com

-- Hopeful that Lance Cormier won't have to miss a start, the Braves optioned Kyle Davies to Triple-A Richmond on Friday night.

Perhaps Lance Cormier will campaign to be reunited with his grandfather, Rheal.

Dracodave
04-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Davies was great what two years ago? When he broke out of the minors.

He's young and like TC said, He's got great raw talent. He'd cost a arm and a leg though.

Dracodave
04-01-2007, 07:26 PM

Priceless.

"Grandpa..I'm better than you."
"I know kid, I know. "

edabbs44
04-01-2007, 07:29 PM

That's good stuff right there. Too bad I've given too much rep out today.

Team Clark
04-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Priceless.

"Grandpa..I'm better than you."
"I know kid, I know. "

Anything you can do I can do better.....:laugh:

Newman4
04-01-2007, 10:07 PM
I figure Davies isn't as untouchable as he used to be considering he lost his starting nod to Mark Redman.

They're running Kelly Johnson and Scott Thorman out there at 2B and 1B, respectively and only have four OF. How about Freel and possibly Hatteberg in a package for Davies? Since the Reds have Valentin to spell Conine at 1B against RHP and Votto in AAA the loss of Hat wouldn't be that great and Hamilton could fill in for Freel in CF. I'd love to pry Rafael Soriano from them to close as well.

Dracodave
04-01-2007, 10:11 PM
I figure Davies isn't as untouchable as he used to be considering he lost his starting nod to Mark Redman.

They're running Kelly Johnson and Scott Thorman out there at 2B and 1B, respectively and only have four OF. How about Freel and possibly Hatteberg in a package for Davies? Since the Reds have Valentin to spell Conine at 1B against RHP and Votto in AAA the loss of Hat wouldn't be that great and Hamilton could fill in for Freel in CF. I'd love to pry Rafael Soriano from them to close as well.

Then our outfield is Hamilton Dunn and Griffey? Who backs them up? Hapless Wise? Norris "My ceiling is a 300 hitter in double a" Hopper? Since Denorfia went down we need an outfielder.

You can give up Hat, and use Conine. However, you just got older and not younger. I give up Hat/Conine to just use Votto. Screw everyone else. Plus, Thormans back up Mr. Craig Wilson is better than Hatteberg younger as well.

Kelly Johnson will be fine on second base. He might stagger for awhile but heck if Marcus Giles can learn anyone can. :thumbup:

mth123
04-01-2007, 10:11 PM

Johnson is basically a younger more talented version of Freel. Hatteberg would be the 4th best 1B in Atlanta behind Thorman, Wilson and Diaz.

I don't see anything the Reds could spare that the Braves would want for Davies unless they overpay with a Bailey or something nuts like that.

Just not a good match right now IMO.

Topcat
04-02-2007, 01:36 AM

not to be harsh but exactly when did acquiring young pitchers and reasoanble pitchers become so cheap that a talented journeyman and a "feisty" guy like Freel would be enough to garner Davies and Soriano?

Newman4
04-02-2007, 07:50 AM
not to be harsh but exactly when did acquiring young pitchers and reasoanble pitchers become so cheap that a talented journeyman and a "feisty" guy like Freel would be enough to garner Davies and Soriano?

I mentioned "possibly Hatteberg in a package" ....meaning it would take more than that or different players with only Freel a possible match. I was just thinking out loud anyways, probably won't happen.