PDA

View Full Version : SI: No Way Reds pick up Dunn's Option

kaldaniels
04-01-2007, 07:21 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/john_donovan/04/01/season.preview/3.html

2. OK, if not Manny, who is likely to be traded midseason?

Torii Hunter is a free agent after the year, and the Twins don't figure to be able to afford him. So if the Twins fall out of contention before the July 31 trading deadline, there's a good chance they could deal him. Same with Andruw Jones. The Braves would like to keep him, but if they dive, they have to be realistic about their chances of keeping their star centerfielder. Those chances aren't good.

Pitcher Jake Westbrook of the Indians and slugger Adam Dunn of the Reds (no way Cincinnati picks up a $13 million option) are two others. Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki is a free agent after the season, too. All will be talked about in July. A bunch of closers: Bob Wickman of the Braves, Jorge Julio of the Marlins and Todd Jones of the Tigers

Jpup
04-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Adam Dunn isn't going anywhere.

Jaycint
04-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Well 9 mill comes off the books at the end of this year in the form of Milton so I don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't pick up the option on Dunn.

Only way I could see the Reds not picking it up would be for philosophical reasons on the part of Krivsky(K's too much and defense concerns). I pray that this doesn't happen by the way since I consider it faulty reasoning.

We will be one year closer to the end of the Griffey contract and completely done with Milton so I don't see where picking up Dunn's option is such an albatross.

TOBTTReds
04-01-2007, 07:28 PM
SI = those commercials with the "talking sports out of his...ignorance."

Though I don't know if they will pick it up, I think it is tough to say "there is no way."

Tony Cloninger
04-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Why believe what some, IMO, insignificant magazine has to say.
They are just throwing stuff out there and seeing if it sticks.

vaticanplum
04-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Yep, if Dunn hits .275 and smacks 45-50 homers -- which is well within the realm of possibility -- no way the offense-laden Reds pick him up for $13 million. That will be so easy to replace at cost from within the farm system, after all.

WVRedsFan
04-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Adam Dunn isn't going anywhere.

You hope. I'm not convinced. Even if Griffey's contract is expiring, Krivsky will be looking for defense and pitching and Adam Dunn will buy one helluva lot of either or both. It's just a matter of time.

Cedric
04-01-2007, 08:05 PM
You hope. I'm not convinced. Even if Griffey's contract is expiring, Krivsky will be looking for defense and pitching and Adam Dunn will buy one helluva lot of either or both. It's just a matter of time.

Yea he hates the guy.

Who extended the Dunn deal again? Let's at least keep the Krivsky bashing within reason.

If Wayne was so anti Dunn he wouldn't have extended him. He would have moved him or let him walk.

coachw513
04-01-2007, 08:18 PM
This is yet another example of why if I want to find out the true info about a team I'm interested in, I DO NOT get it from national media sources...talking heads are just that...does anyone actually ever keep track of the predictions guys like this make...

I'll make mine...Dunn wears Cincy Red for many, many years to come...

kaldaniels
04-01-2007, 08:22 PM

I tend to agree with you. Barring Dunn taking a discount of somesort, I think he will price himself out of town after 2008. If Krivsky comes to that conclusion, he will look into moving Dunn either this year or next at the deadline. The teams record will have a lot do with when that happens if you ask me.

harangatang
04-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Well 9 mill comes off the books at the end of this year in the form of Milton so I don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't pick up the option on Dunn.

Only way I could see the Reds not picking it up would be for philosophical reasons on the part of Krivsky(K's too much and defense concerns). I pray that this doesn't happen by the way since I consider it faulty reasoning.

We will be one year closer to the end of the Griffey contract and completely done with Milton so I don't see where picking up Dunn's option is such an albatross.Krivsky signed Dunn to the LTC in the first place. If Krivsky wanted to get rid of Dunn it would've already happened.

WVRedsFan
04-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Yea he hates the guy.

Who extended the Dunn deal again? Let's at least keep the Krivsky bashing within reason.

If Wayne was so anti Dunn he wouldn't have extended him. He would have moved him or let him walk.

Never said that. Wayne's priorities, and he's stated them, are pitching and defense. It just makes sense that he would do this. This is not Krivsky bashing, it's just stating what I believe will happen. Personally, i don't want to see it happen, but it seems to follow that it will.

Tony Cloninger
04-01-2007, 08:58 PM
He may like defense and pitching....and who does not....but I am sure he still like some idea of an offense too. Earl Weaver liked pitching and defense...but he also liked the 3 run homer.

I am not saying he would not look at ever trading him between now and when the contract expires......but he will have a better idea if Votto....Bruce...and EE can take up the slack.

jojo
04-01-2007, 09:00 PM

griffey is guaranteed thru '08.....he's owed $29M non-deferred assuming '09 is bought out...

redsmetz
04-01-2007, 09:30 PM
SI = those commercials with the "talking sports out of his...ignorance."

Though I don't know if they will pick it up, I think it is tough to say "there is no way."

Absolutely. And Wayne negotiated this deal - it's not something he was saddled with. We'll see how Dunn does this year and how the market is. Thirteen million might be a bargain, I hate to say.

Ltlabner
04-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Never said that. Wayne's priorities, and he's stated them, are pitching and defense. It just makes sense that he would do this. This is not Krivsky bashing, it's just stating what I believe will happen. Personally, i don't want to see it happen, but it seems to follow that it will.

Because he may place a premium on "pitching and defense" it does not logically follow that he would then completly discount offense. He may ultimatley trade Dunn, but I don't think one's general outlook on building a team equates to a cast in stone rule towards which players to keep and which to discard.

Unassisted
04-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I wonder if this bit of journalism originated from a Sunshine State hallway conversation with a certain broadcaster who has a disdain for Dunn and a plaque in Cooperstown. :evil:

Highlifeman21
04-01-2007, 10:28 PM
I wonder if this bit of journalism originated from a Sunshine State hallway conversation with a certain broadcaster who has a disdain for Dunn and a plaque in Cooperstown. :evil:

Nah, Franchester would make no such claim.

At least not without his Banana Phone.

Highlifeman21
04-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Yep, if Dunn hits .275 and smacks 45-50 homers -- which is well within the realm of possibility -- no way the offense-laden Reds pick him up for $13 million. That will be so easy to replace at cost from within the farm system, after all.

For every Dunn @ $13 Mil, there's a Gary Matthews, Jr or Juan Pierre @ $11+ Mil.

I wish Krivsky would lock Dunn up to an Albert Pujols contract. $100 Mil over 7 years.

harangatang
04-01-2007, 10:38 PM
For every Dunn @ $13 Mil, there's a Gary Matthews, Jr or Juan Pierre @ $11+ Mil.

I wish Krivsky would lock Dunn up to an Albert Pujols contract. $100 Mil over 7 years.Exactly. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If Junior was consistently healthy he would be the biggest bargain in baseball right now which almost seems unfathomable.

reds44
04-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Dunn isn't going anywhere.

Krivsky is building the offense aorund him and Edwin. Who is the one that extended Dunn's deal? That'd be Wayne.

dougdirt
04-01-2007, 11:37 PM

Krivsky is building the offense aorund him and Edwin. Who is the one that extended Dunn's deal? That'd be Wayne.

he also didn't have a choice. Without Dunn this offense would have been horrible. I dont think Dunn is playing here after his current contract is up. He will want 14+ million, and someone will pay it.... it wont be the Reds.

reds44
04-01-2007, 11:40 PM
he also didn't have a choice. Without Dunn this offense would have been horrible. I dont think Dunn is playing here after his current contract is up. He will want 14+ million, and someone will pay it.... it wont be the Reds.
He re-signed Dunn when he still had Kearns, Lopez, and Pena. He didn't do it in fear of the offense being bad.

dougdirt
04-01-2007, 11:43 PM
He re-signed Dunn when he still had Kearns, Lopez, and Pena. He didn't do it in fear of the offense being bad.

Kearns who cant stay healthy, Pena who wasnt a starter and Lopez after 1 good season. None of which has anything to do with the fact that he will be making 14+ million after this contract is up, and the Reds don't have the kind of money to pay players that.

reds44
04-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Kearns who cant stay healthy, Pena who wasnt a starter and Lopez after 1 good season. None of which has anything to do with the fact that he will be making 14+ million after this contract is up, and the Reds don't have the kind of money to pay players that.
With Milton and Griffey gone they do.

mth123
04-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Dunn is making $10.5 Million this year. $4 Million is going to buy-outs/bribe money for Larue, Wilson and Hammond. I think they can afford to keep him w/o increasing the payroll any at all while still having the Milton, Lohse, Cormier and Griffey money for other things.

They have Harang and Arroyo locked-up. Bailey, Votto, Hamilton, Bruce, Deno, Burton, Salmon, Coutlangus, et al will still be real cheap. Need money for increases to EdE and maybe Phillips, but this team looks to be able to afford its OPS leader IMO. Besides, if the team wants to attract the missing pieces, a few "Star" types are needed. Letting Dunn go will be a sign of the continually rebuilding cycle that turns fans and players off. 2009 is the time to harvest the seeds that have been planted and I think Dunn needs to be around for that unless he completely tanks.

kaldaniels
04-02-2007, 12:19 AM

Red Sox fans could have said...
Arroyo isn't going anywhere. Who extended Arroyo's deal? That'd be Theo.

Granted Epstein didn't build the Sox staff around Arroyo, but you can't use a contract extenstion as logic that the player won't be dealt.

dougdirt
04-02-2007, 12:21 AM
With Milton and Griffey gone they do.

It has nothing to do with their money....
Someone is going to offer Dunn a contract around 6 years at 14+ million a year. The Reds have handed out 1 contract like that ever, and no offense to Adam Dunn.... he isnt in the same conversation as the type of player Griffey was when he signed here.

Heck, maybe I am wrong, but I cant see the Reds throwing that kind of money at a guy as limited as Dunn is (brings you no upside at all on defense).

reds44
04-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Red Sox fans could have said...
Arroyo isn't going anywhere. Who extended Arroyo's deal? That'd be Theo.

Granted Epstein didn't build the Sox staff around Arroyo, but you can't use a contract extenstion as logic that the player won't be dealt.
The Sox had an overload of starting pitches and needed an OF bat. The Reds don't have an overload of offense.

kaldaniels
04-02-2007, 12:27 AM
It has nothing to do with their money....
Someone is going to offer Dunn a contract around 6 years at 14+ million a year. The Reds have handed out 1 contract like that ever, and no offense to Adam Dunn.... he isnt in the same conversation as the type of player Griffey was when he signed here.

Heck, maybe I am wrong, but I cant see the Reds throwing that kind of money at a guy as limited as Dunn is (brings you no upside at all on defense).

I agree. I truly see the Reds going in a "Twins" sort of direction, i.e. getting the most out of young players thru their arb. years then casting them off through trades which restock the farm. Face it the Reds won't be able to keep everyone. Its one thing to extend a deal like Arroyo's or keep a player and extra year or two like Harang. You can economically reason those deals. But face it...Dunn is signed for 2007 with the option for 2008. He will be a free man. His cost will be enormous. His return thru a proper trade would be bountiful for years to come.

MartyFan
04-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Are the reds part of any downtown development in Cincy? Curious because if they are that could be used similar to what the Nats are doing in DC to develop the area around them to bring in revenue streams.

vaticanplum
04-02-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm not convinced that Dunn is staying, but I am convinced that Krivsky knows his true value.

I really do think whether he stays will be up to Dunn and how he performs this season. Since my prediction is that he'll do well, I predict he'll stay.

wheels
04-02-2007, 01:34 AM
13 million bucks isn't much anymore.

DoogMinAmo
04-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Are the reds part of any downtown development in Cincy? Curious because if they are that could be used similar to what the Nats are doing in DC to develop the area around them to bring in revenue streams.

Castellini is on the board for the Banks development, which is the wasteland next to the Reds stadium.

dougdirt
04-02-2007, 01:54 AM
13 million bucks isn't much anymore.

While that is true to an extent, its still a lot of money when your operating payroll is 70-75 million dollars.

REDREAD
04-02-2007, 10:29 AM
The Reds can clearly afford to keep Dunn next year if they want to.

It's not a matter of whether Wayne appreciates Dunn or not.

If the team is on it's way to another sub-500 season, then it becomes tempting to trade Dunn for younger talent. Dunn is second the most marketable veteran we have (Harang is first, I'd say Arroyo is 3rd -- but they are all close).

kaldaniels
04-02-2007, 10:56 AM
The Reds can clearly afford to keep Dunn next year if they want to.

It's not a matter of whether Wayne appreciates Dunn or not.

If the team is on it's way to another sub-500 season, then it becomes tempting to trade Dunn for younger talent. Dunn is second the most marketable veteran we have (Harang is first, I'd say Arroyo is 3rd -- but they are all close).

I'd say you have that right in your rankings of veterans. However, Dunn has the most potential to fleece another team...but thats all up to Krivsky. (Everyone spare the easy Kearns trade joke)

flyer85
04-02-2007, 11:38 AM
this is all way out in the future. Time to start enjoying the current season.

I hate the Cubs. :evil:

dougdirt
04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I hate the Cubs. :evil:

Best post I have seen all day

flyer85
04-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I hate the Cubs. :evil: ... and their masochistic arrogant fans.

dougdirt
04-02-2007, 11:50 AM
... and their masochistic arrogant fans.

New best post I have seen all day.

flyer85
04-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Rooting for a perennial loser whose ineptitude is approaching 100 years is not a badge of honor, it's stupidity.

:mooner:

PuffyPig
04-02-2007, 01:53 PM
The Reds will pick up Dunn's option, even if it's just so they can extend the time they have to trade him.

Dunn's a good offensive player, but he sure has to do better than last year to be worth $13M to us.

Whether Dunn ultimately stays with us or not is really up to him.

REDREAD
04-02-2007, 02:09 PM
The Reds will pick up Dunn's option, even if it's just so they can extend the time they have to trade him.

Dunn's a good offensive player, but he sure has to do better than last year to be worth $13M to us.

Whether Dunn ultimately stays with us or not is really up to him.

I agree with that. It's a no brainer to pick up the option. If the Reds don't want him, they can flip him in a trade. The Yanks did exactly that with Sheffield.

Eric_Davis
04-02-2007, 04:30 PM
They might pick it up today. :)

Highlifeman21
04-02-2007, 06:00 PM
They might pick it up today. :)

Pretty spooky that your post was the 44th reply to this thread....