PDA

View Full Version : Victor Santos has made the team

Danny Serafini
04-02-2007, 09:02 AM
For those who haven't seen, Santos had his contract purchased this morning.

texasdave
04-02-2007, 09:05 AM
....and somewhere RedSupport is doing a little happy dance. :)

Heath
04-02-2007, 09:05 AM
I guess KC wouldn't trade Reggie Sanders.

:D

Redus
04-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Good for him..he deserves it...now will his ST magic last..

Hooligan
04-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Well deserved. Let's hope he continues to impress.

TRF
04-02-2007, 09:42 AM
No, Livingston deserved to be the 5th starter. Santos faced mostly scrubs.

ugh.

I have concerns about Livingston's velo, but he handled Boston pretty well while Milty was getting slober-knockered in an A-Ball game.

puca
04-02-2007, 09:55 AM
It is no big deal. He is only around until someone gets healthy anyhow.

It is probably better for Livingston to settle in at AAA and pitch regularly until he is needed.

Hooligan
04-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Santos can't help who he faced or worry about who others faced. He earned the spot. This is no cut on Livingston, I was pulling for him also.

TRF
04-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Santos can't help who he faced or worry about who others faced. He earned the spot. This is no cut on Livingston, I was pulling for him also.

Josias Manzanillo says hi.

penantboundreds
04-02-2007, 10:56 AM
what does manzanillo have to do with this? he pitched well, the scouts and narron and krivsky watched every pitch he threw, trf how do you know if he deserves a spot?

deltachi8
04-02-2007, 11:15 AM
what does manzanillo have to do with this? he pitched well, the scouts and narron and krivsky watched every pitch he threw, trf how do you know if he deserves a spot?

There are certainly similarities - a detailed track record of sub par performance at the ML level followed by an great spring.

I'm sure TRF hopes Santos does well, as do I, he (and I ) just won't bet on it as a month of good innings against mostly minor leaguers doesn't erase the past few years that Santos has put up.

Sea Ray
04-02-2007, 11:21 AM
I think he pitched well but I have reservations as to whether this move is in the Reds' best interests. The Reds have a lot of pitchers on the DL and Santos is a guy they could have stashed in AAA. Now he'll have to clear waivers if they get in a numbers crunch and have to send him down. That numbers crunch could come as soon as this weekend re: Milton.

TeamSelig
04-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Manzanillo or not, he had a 0 ERA. What kind of message would that send to your players if a guy with a 0.00 ERA doesn't make the team when he has a legitimate chance of making the team (or supposedly)

Ravenlord
04-02-2007, 12:04 PM
trf how do you know if he deserves a spot?

a career of suckitude, perhaps?

TRF
04-02-2007, 12:15 PM
a career of suckitude, perhaps?

ding ding ding.

I'm more impressed with Livingston and Burton, in part because of age, and the fact that they are unknown quantities.

Santos is a known quantity. And I ain't impressed with it.

Tony Cloninger
04-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Why is there such a need to carry 12 freaking pitchers?
I know i joked about cloning Mike Marshall and Wayne Grnager....but this team could use a Scott Sullivan type to eat up the middle innings
I know 1 or 2 of them ( Congo and Cormier) are really 1-2 batter pitchers....well mainly Cormier is....but still these team needs more bench.

Doc. Scott
04-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Well, for the record, Santos has never really been a full-time reliever, and hasn't appeared primarily as a reliever since 2001 (his rookie year) and a messy 2002 stint in Colorado. He might take to the 'pen quite well, actually.

Besides, he may very well be here all of a week or so.

Sea Ray
04-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Manzanillo or not, he had a 0 ERA. What kind of message would that send to your players if a guy with a 0.00 ERA doesn't make the team when he has a legitimate chance of making the team (or supposedly)

Guys who sign minor league contracts ought to know that their chances of making the big league club right out of Spring Training are very slim. However a good Spring Training combined with impressive numbers at AAA and you've got a good chance to make it sometime during the year. 0.00 ERA in Florida doesn't assure anyone of a spot on the roster.

mth123
04-02-2007, 10:57 PM
I think he pitched well but I have reservations as to whether this move is in the Reds' best interests. The Reds have a lot of pitchers on the DL and Santos is a guy they could have stashed in AAA. Now he'll have to clear waivers if they get in a numbers crunch and have to send him down. That numbers crunch could come as soon as this weekend re: Milton.

Or he could have just left now. He'd probably be Washington's #2 starter. I know he said he'd accept AAA earlier in the spring, but that was before he completed his scoreless inning streak. I'm sure he has to be thinking that a major league job would be out there somewhere as bad as everyone's pitching is. I thought I saw a recent quote where he said "I don't know" when asked if he'd go to AAA

Once the numbers crunch hits, the Reds will still have all those other guys available who could have gotten this spot (Livingston, Salmon, Bailey) and when Bray, Majik and Lizard get back, Santos would probably be no better than 5th in line and maybe as low as 7th in line for a recall.

Puca had it right about letting this guy sit at the end of the pen and let Livingston take his regular turns in AAA. Santos probably won't be needed later as much as right now and the Reds may as well give a guy who hasn't given up a run all spring a shot with an open spot. He'll probably revert to his pre-spring 2007 self, but maybe he has a career year in Cincinati. If he stinks cut him and move on to the next guy, but if he's in for a good year, I'd rather the Reds find out before letting him walk.

Sea Ray
04-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Once the numbers crunch hits, the Reds will still have all those other guys available who could have gotten this spot (Livingston, Salmon, Bailey) and when Bray, Majik and Lizard get back, Santos would probably be no better than 5th in line and maybe as low as 7th in line for a recall.

Puca had it right about letting this guy sit at the end of the pen and let Livingston take his regular turns in AAA. Santos probably won't be needed later as much as right now and the Reds may as well give a guy who hasn't given up a run all spring a shot with an open spot.

That's the crux of the question. Will there be a roster spot for him to have a career year with the Reds? We've got guys like Milton, Majik, Bray and maybe even Bailey due to come up this year. What good will it do if they send him packing after spending a week or so in the bigs?

Sea Ray
04-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Why is there such a need to carry 12 freaking pitchers?
I know i joked about cloning Mike Marshall and Wayne Grnager....but this team could use a Scott Sullivan type to eat up the middle innings
I know 1 or 2 of them ( Congo and Cormier) are really 1-2 batter pitchers....well mainly Cormier is....but still these team needs more bench.

I don't like carrying 12 pitchers either. Now that we have some starters who give us innings and the fact we have depth down in Louisville, I see even less of a need for 12 pitchers. 3 catchers and 12 pitchers is not a deep bench. Let's hope they "adjust this" as the season goes on.