PDA

View Full Version : Rose in the FSN/WLW booths

Redlegs
04-02-2007, 06:28 PM
It was good to see & hear the Hit King in the booth with George & Chris then hop over to the radio side to talk to Marty & Thom. It's very clear he still has a passion for baseball and for the Reds. Unfortunately for him, he made his bed. It was great to hear him on the air today.

Jpup
04-02-2007, 08:09 PM
I think the Reds should try and get him on as a full time color guy for TV. I doubt that will ever be allowed, but it would be a first step.

Ltlabner
04-02-2007, 08:18 PM
I was standing next to the broadcast tent where Willy Cunningham was interviewing Rose. In fact, when Pete walked up I didn't recognize him because he had a hat and some Elvis sunglasses on. My father picked him out.

Anyway, it was an interesting interview with war stories. His comments about sitting next to Selig at a ballgame were particularly funny. But at the risk of inspiring another round of Pete debate, I'll share this. At the very end of the interview Pete blurts out "Take the points" as a joke (they just got done talking about the national championship). It wasn't a horrable thing to say, unless of course you were banned from baseball for betting and had let thousands of fans down and then clung to an ever-changing story about the nature of the betting.

I'm sure somewhere his publicist was having a heart attack. It just struck me how "politically unsavy", and frankly classless that was to say.

All my bad fealings aside it was really cool to stand 3 feet away from Pete and see him be interviewed live. The comment at the end was just a rude awakining from baseball fantesy back to the reality of his shortcommings as a person.

Edskin
04-02-2007, 08:39 PM
It's very clear he still has a passion for baseball and for the Reds.

Too bad he didn't have that passion when he managed the Reds. Clearly, the thrill and emotion of either winning or losing the game wasn't enough for him.

Caveat Emperor
04-02-2007, 08:41 PM
I think the Reds should try and get him on as a full time color guy for TV. I doubt that will ever be allowed, but it would be a first step.

Pete may have been blessed with unnatural ability to hit a baseball, but he's a walking public relations nightmare of the first order and politically radioactive in the general baseball community. Not exactly the kind of guy you want front and center attached to your product 162 games per year.

The best thing for Pete and everyone involved is for him to stay as far away from the spotlight as possible, IMO.

Redlegs
04-02-2007, 08:43 PM
He has no chance of being in the booth. Even if he ever had a chance, he would have blown that opportunity today when he used the word "pissed" on the WLW broadcast with Marty & Thom.

Ltlabner
04-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Too bad he didn't have that passion when he managed the Reds. Clearly, the thrill and emotion of either winning or losing the game wasn't enough for him.

Actually he said almost that very thing on air with Willy today. The thril of managing wasn't enough for him. He *needed* to bet to get an "edge".

"Edge" was his word, not mine.

RANDY IN INDY
04-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Hearing Pete talk about baseball makes his train wreck life even more tragic. The man has a wealth of baseball knowledge that the game truly needs. It doesn't need all the baggage that he has created, that comes along with him. Just a real shame.

westofyou
04-02-2007, 10:11 PM
I enjoyed Pete's appearance, he's not one to shy away from the mic, but he was wrong when he declared that the Reds used to be the only team that played on the opening day. The Senators had a similar arrangement in the American League and often opened on the same day as the Reds and sometimes even before them.

George Anderson
04-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Did anyone hear when Pete was being interviewed by Willie and Petes cell phone started to ring. Pete made the joke "hey I bet that's Buds calling me now".Then Pete made the comment "Well the caller ID says Unknown Caller". Did anyone make a guess that it was Pete Jr. calling Pops from the slammer?? That was my first thought.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-03-2007, 12:10 AM
At the very end of the interview Pete blurts out "Take the points" as a joke (they just got done talking about the national championship). It wasn't a horrable thing to say, unless of course you were banned from baseball for betting and had let thousands of fans down and then clung to an ever-changing story about the nature of the betting.

I actually like that about him. It's not the smartest thing to do when you're trying to make a case to be reinstated by a longshot, but Pete will be Pete, and I can appreciate that.

sonny
04-03-2007, 02:10 AM
I enjoyed Pete's appearance, he's not one to shy away from the mic, but he was wrong when he declared that the Reds used to be the only team that played on the opening day. The Senators had a similar arrangement in the American League and often opened on the same day as the Reds and sometimes even before them.

Just a small butt-kiss, but WOY i really enjoy your posts and general knowledge of the history of the game.

End smooch.

Jpup
04-03-2007, 02:21 AM
I actually like that about him. It's not the smartest thing to do when you're trying to make a case to be reinstated by a longshot, but Pete will be Pete, and I can appreciate that.

I find it amusing.

membengal
04-03-2007, 06:44 AM
I think the Reds should try and get him on as a full time color guy for TV.

No.

membengal
04-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Pete may have been blessed with unnatural ability to hit a baseball, but he's a walking public relations nightmare of the first order and politically radioactive in the general baseball community. Not exactly the kind of guy you want front and center attached to your product 162 games per year.

The best thing for Pete and everyone involved is for him to stay as far away from the spotlight as possible, IMO.

Yes.

RedsFan75
04-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Did anyone else notice how when Pete was talking to Chris and George, and said they needed to be homers since the Reds paid their salary, and then George quickly changed the subject, or was that just me reading more into than I should?

Jharb74
04-03-2007, 09:56 AM
I also found it funny that ESPN 2's announcers said that this was the first time Pete has been allowed in GABP.
I think he's been there a handful of times, and each time they say the same thing, that it's his first time he's allowed there, and it's probably a step to being reinstaded.

Spring~Fields
04-03-2007, 10:06 AM
I thought that when he was on with Chris and George that he came across phony, pretentious and uncomfortable.

deltachi8
04-03-2007, 10:50 AM
I heard him on the radio broadcast and actually kind of liked it until he mentioned the race track with Marty and Las Vegas and I just tuned him out. I know they were both innocent comments, but as soon as he stopped talking baseball and that stuff cam eup I had no interest in him being there anymore.

Otherwise, he gave some nice commentary on the game and team.

Unassisted
04-03-2007, 11:03 AM
I heard him on the radio broadcast and actually kind of liked it until he mentioned the race track with Marty and Las Vegas and I just tuned him out. I know they were both innocent comments, but as soon as he stopped talking baseball and that stuff cam eup I had no interest in him being there anymore.

I agree that the mention of Turfway Park, etc. was in questionable taste. Since Pete's main livelihood is autograph-hawking in Vegas these days, it's probably impossible for him not to mention the place in casual conversation.

It's a sad little corner that Pete has painted himself into. I think a regular commentating gig would not be a good thing, unless he could keep the conversation 100%-focused on things that happened or are happening on the field.

MartyFan
04-03-2007, 11:29 AM

Otherwise, he gave some nice commentary on the game and team.

I agree. I thought he seemed nervous...maybe just so excited to be back around the booth and the game that I imagine it had to be pretty emotional.

I still don't think the comment was in good taste but come on, Pete is old Cincinnati and some of new Cincinnati and when has that ever been "good taste"?

TeamBoone
04-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Did anyone else notice how when Pete was talking to Chris and George, and said they needed to be homers since the Reds paid their salary, and then George quickly changed the subject, or was that just me reading more into than I should?

It was you.

Red Leader
04-03-2007, 02:47 PM
It was you.

I'm not sure it is.

I got the impression (at least on TV w/ George and Chris) that there were several times throughout the interview that Rose tried to take control of the interview by either saying something outside of the question he was asked, trying to ask a question to George / Chris, or simply just by making a statement when no one else was saying something. He wanted the conversation to go one way and George and Chris wanted it to go another way. Several times I thought George and Chris felt awkward about something Pete said. Like George and Chris were the teenager that lets the bad kid into his house while his parents are away...