PDA

View Full Version : What GABP needs.

adampad
04-02-2007, 07:31 PM
A FREAKING ORGAN. They should put one in that new boat thing in center.

marcshoe
04-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Other posts have mentioned a calliope going in there. And one poster has threatened violence in retaliation. :dunno:

Razor Shines
04-02-2007, 07:34 PM
A FREAKING ORGAN. They should put one in that new boat thing in center.

Well they better cover it with steel, otherwise Adam Dunn will break it.

adampad
04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
I have no idea what a calliope is.

adampad
04-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Calliopes are high-pressure instruments that virtually explode their music through brass pipes. Invented in America in the mid-19th century, they were originally powered by steam but eventually converted to compressed air.

marcshoe
04-02-2007, 07:43 PM
You learned fast!;)

boognish
04-02-2007, 07:45 PM
They play organ music over the loudspeakers on Sunday games; I think it is piped in (that turned out to be a bad pun) by computer like the at-bat/between innings audio during other games.

KittyDuran
04-02-2007, 08:48 PM
The calliope played "Take me out to the ballgame" today...

Redlegs
04-02-2007, 08:49 PM
They need the smell of cigars smoking when you enter the park. The way it was when I was a kid. Part of the atmosphere, IMO.

otto
04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Every Sunday & Opening Day we have a live organist. The other days it is pre-recorded organ music.
Today the organist did a few songs live on the calliope.

vaticanplum
04-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I went batcrap nuts over the calliope. It is awesome. Great American Ball Park walks a precarious line between clueless and kitsch, and right at this moment it's balanced as perfectly as possible in my opinion.

Redsfan08
04-02-2007, 10:08 PM
A green monster in left field like in Boston

chettt
04-02-2007, 10:14 PM
:beerme: A winner on Opening Day was a great start.:beerme: What more can we expect? :beerme: Maybe a winner in Game #2.:beerme:

Degenerate39
04-02-2007, 11:31 PM
GABP needs more power hitters

RedEye
04-02-2007, 11:33 PM
I think GABP needs its outfield walls to be moved back. Maybe then we'll be able to attract some free agent pitchers when Griff and Milty come off the books.

WMR
04-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Hot tub manufacturer & Hooters co-sponsorship synergy deal out in CF

Brutus_the_Red
04-03-2007, 12:39 AM
can they put cheese coneys in that t-shirt launcher?

George Anderson
04-03-2007, 12:41 AM
I think GABP needs its outfield walls to be moved back. Maybe then we'll be able to attract some free agent pitchers when Griff and Milty come off the books.

From a construction end is it even possible?? Even if it is I dont see how you could move the fences much more than maybe 20 feet and I dont see twenty feet making that much of a difference in HR totals.

AtomicDumpling
04-03-2007, 01:10 AM
What GABP needs most is a friendly, inviting community around it. Sure would be nice if there were restaurants, sports bars, shops and safe parking garages surrounding the stadium instead of freeways, empty buildings, arenas, slums and a river. Maybe that way the Reds and Bengals would actually have a positive impact and rejuvenate downtown like sports teams have in other cities.

People here tend to zoom downtown for the game and zoom right back out again. In cities like Chicago, Cleveland, Baltimore, Boston, New York and probably others that I haven't been to, people go downtown early to eat and drink and hang out with other fans to have fun long before the game starts. Then they do it again after the game.

When I want to enjoy a river I go to a state park. When I go to a sporting event I don't really care to see a river, especially one that is surrounded by concrete in the middle of an urban area. Putting the GABP on the river severely restricted access and made it impossible to include enough parking and activities around the stadium.

Jpup
04-03-2007, 01:11 AM
From a construction end is it even possible?? Even if it is I dont see how you could move the fences much more than maybe 20 feet and I dont see twenty feet making that much of a difference in HR totals.

Anything is possible, but I doubt the Reds would spend the money to do it. They could just get some better pitchers which could cost more or less.

Organ music is fine, but it gets to a point where it is boring. They need to stick the the mixture.

RedEye
04-03-2007, 01:19 AM

I've gotta believe it's possible. I think you'd be surprised how much difference 20 feet makes, actually.

Cyclone792
04-03-2007, 01:32 AM

Structurally, I'm sure it's possible, but the cost would be so great that it's simply not worth it. I'm not an engineer, but it would seem to me to be incredibly difficult to actually expand the stadium itself while moving the seating areas back. Mehring Way sits behind right field, and a plaza level stretching across roads to US Bank Arena sits behind right field.

What they'd likely have to do is just wipe out the first few rows of seats in both left field and the right field sun/moon deck area to expand the field and push back the wall. The stadium capacity is already quite small, and the loss of those seats would simply shrink it even more. Plus, those seats in the first few rows are generally primo seats for the paying public (especially in the sun/moon deck in right field), and they won't bring in any ticket sales if they no longer exist. Or, the team could resort to extreme cheap and tacky measures such as raising wall heights in areas where seats aren't directly behind the wall, such as in front of the batter's eye and the bullpen areas.

No matter what, the end result is it's just not feasible, and it's not likely to ever happen. The team built itself a smaller park that will almost always be home run friendly relative to other MLB parks, and its best option is to piece together a roster that takes advantage of the park's dimensions better than its opponents.

geniusMoment
04-03-2007, 02:03 AM
20 feet? Are you kidding, that would be the biggest park in baseball. That would be 348 down the lines, 390 in the gaps and 424 in dead center. Even Milton could pitch in that park.

sonny
04-03-2007, 05:05 AM
20 feet? Are you kidding, that would be the biggest park in baseball. That would be 348 down the lines, 390 in the gaps and 424 in dead center. Even Milton could pitch in that park.

Well, C'mon...:laugh:

mth123
04-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Structurally, I'm sure it's possible, but the cost would be so great that it's simply not worth it. I'm not an engineer, but it would seem to me to be incredibly difficult to actually expand the stadium itself while moving the seating areas back. Mehring Way sits behind right field, and a plaza level stretching across roads to US Bank Arena sits behind right field.

What they'd likely have to do is just wipe out the first few rows of seats in both left field and the right field sun/moon deck area to expand the field and push back the wall. The stadium capacity is already quite small, and the loss of those seats would simply shrink it even more. Plus, those seats in the first few rows are generally primo seats for the paying public (especially in the sun/moon deck in right field), and they won't bring in any ticket sales if they no longer exist. Or, the team could resort to extreme cheap and tacky measures such as raising wall heights in areas where seats aren't directly behind the wall, such as in front of the batter's eye and the bullpen areas.

No matter what, the end result is it's just not feasible, and it's not likely to ever happen. The team built itself a smaller park that will almost always be home run friendly relative to other MLB parks, and its best option is to piece together a roster that takes advantage of the park's dimensions better than its opponents.

I'm sure you are right. Anyone have any ideas why they can't work from the other end? Just move home plate back about 5 to 10 feet. There would be less foul territory, but the OF would be bigger and the wall farther away. Also, how about a clear, see through plexiglass panel to make the wall higher?It might help. A ball would need to clear the glass to be a HR. I actually think that the Reds and baseball want the wall short so that guys can rob HRs on defense.

Yachtzee
04-03-2007, 09:23 AM
They don't need to do anything with the walls. They just need to identify better pitchers for the ballpark.

Driver62
04-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Bars and restuarants around the stadium would be very nice. There were plenty of them around Riverfront but they got tore down when they re-did the area.
Anyone remember Caddys? I spent a lot of time there.

Johnny Footstool
04-03-2007, 10:56 AM
If they've got a calliope, they need some dancing bears. And maybe a barker outside the gate dressed like an old-timey Mr. Red.

Marge'sMullet
04-03-2007, 11:09 AM
can they put cheese coneys in that t-shirt launcher?

That wouldn’t be a good idea. I could just see some 5 yr old getting stampede by a 300 lb Neanderthal wanting a cheese coney.

Always Red
04-03-2007, 11:10 AM
They need the smell of cigars smoking when you enter the park. The way it was when I was a kid. Part of the atmosphere, IMO.

I agree, not gonna happens these days, but I agree.

I remember when they used to sell them at Crosley Field when I was a kid (25 cents for an Ibold, IIRC) ;)

Joseph
04-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Aaron Harang is a top flight pitcher pitching in GABP, and he seemed to have no issues yesterday. I don't think there was a shot I even worried about off the Cubs bats.

What does GABP need? A winner.

rotnoid
04-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Bars and restuarants around the stadium would be very nice. There were plenty of them around Riverfront but they got tore down when they re-did the area.
Anyone remember Caddys? I spent a lot of time there.

I don't know. I'm kind of partial to the mud pit and surface lots. Why would you want to invite people to come downtown and build a positive attitude before the game. It's not like a jazzed up crowd plays any difference in the game anyway. ;)

Seriously, since Castellini's the new head of the alleged Banks project, maybe, just maybe we'll see something. Even if it is a broccoli stand.

Yachtzee
04-03-2007, 11:20 AM
What GABP needs now, is a new Frank Sinatra, so I can get you in bed.
What GABP needs now, is another folk singer, like I need a hole in the head.

Redsland
04-03-2007, 11:45 AM
The calliope played "Take me out to the ballgame" today...
:explode:

adampad
04-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Actually, I wish we had little band like the Cubans and other teams had in the WBC. I love the energy of those games.

REDREAD
04-03-2007, 12:21 PM
What GABP needs most is a friendly, inviting community around it. Sure would be nice if there were restaurants, sports bars, shops and safe parking garages surrounding the stadium instead of freeways, empty buildings, arenas, slums and a river. Maybe that way the Reds and Bengals would actually have a positive impact and rejuvenate downtown like sports teams have in other cities.

The problem is that John Allen sees restaurants, bars, etc as competition for the Reds. Maybe Cast's attitude is different, but when all the important decisions were being made, we had a clueless idiot (Allen) that didn't care at all about the stadium's contribution to the city. Allen, with Lindner's blessing, was purely concerned with milking every cent he could out of the taxpayers and minimizing the Reds' contributions, since Lindner was only a short term investor in the Reds, and really didn't care about revitalizing the area.

People here tend to zoom downtown for the game and zoom right back out again. .

Yes. That was basically Allen's plan. Have people zoom in, with no temptations to spend their money anywhere but the GAB.

REDREAD
04-03-2007, 12:27 PM
I actually think that the Reds and baseball want the wall short so that guys can rob HRs on defense.

I remember the Reds making a comment that they wanted short walls to help Casey and Jr hit HRs. Bowden said that. It was back when the Reds were in negotiations to get Jr. The grand plan was to load up on LH pitchers and hitters for 2003.

Again, short term thinking ruled a lot of decisions.

I would've loved to see the Reds buck the bandbox trend and build a park that was at least partially pitching friendly. In theory, a pitching friendly park allows a small market team to get better results with lesser talented pitchers. With premium pitching as expensive as it is, it would've been worth a try.

George Anderson
04-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Yes. That was basically Allen's plan. Have people zoom in, with no temptations to spend their money anywhere but the GAB.[/QUOTE]

Well the restaurants and bars in northern Kentucky are just loving Allens ingenius plan.

redsfanmia
04-03-2007, 04:03 PM
A safer walk to the park would be nice as well, how many homeless/beggers do you pass as you go into the park? The over/under is 4 and its usually 7 or 8.

TC81190
04-03-2007, 05:06 PM
A safer walk to the park would be nice as well, how many homeless/beggers do you pass as you go into the park? The over/under is 4 and its usually 7 or 8.

Some of the vendors have thrown myself and, most disgracefully, my grandmother nasty comments, as well. The GABP needs some environment around it, it really does. The giant hole that used to be Riverfront and a freeway and then nothing. Exciting.

WMR
04-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Is there a stadium in MLB with LESS to do around the stadium than GABP?

TC81190
04-03-2007, 05:09 PM

I really don't think so.

paintmered
04-03-2007, 05:14 PM

People here tend to zoom downtown for the game and zoom right back out again. In cities like Chicago, Cleveland, Baltimore, Boston, New York and probably others that I haven't been to, people go downtown early to eat and drink and hang out with other fans to have fun long before the game starts. Then they do it again after the game.

When I want to enjoy a river I go to a state park. When I go to a sporting event I don't really care to see a river, especially one that is surrounded by concrete in the middle of an urban area. Putting the GABP on the river severely restricted access and made it impossible to include enough parking and activities around the stadium.

There were hundreds, maybe thousands of Reds fans hanging out in Newport when I left around 7:30. They hang out, just not in Cincy.

Johnny Footstool
04-03-2007, 05:43 PM

KC.

The closest establishments are Subway and Denny's.

Basically, you just sit in the parking lot and drink (which does have it's merits...).

LawFive
04-03-2007, 06:25 PM

I've never been, but supposedly Dolphins/Marlins stadium is pretty desolate.

rotnoid
04-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I've never been, but supposedly Dolphins/Marlins stadium is pretty desolate.

See average attendance for Marlins games. Correlation? You betcha.

vaticanplum
04-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Since when are homeless/beggars inherently dangerous? I've encountered tens of thousands of homeless/beggars in my life and have never had the slightest problem. Honey, I've got news for you, if they're going to hurt you for money, they're not going to ask you for it first.

And the Banks is going to happen, sooner than a lot of people think I bet. They have a developer and there's money to be lost if they stall, money to be made if they get going.

TeamBoone
04-03-2007, 07:35 PM
KC.

Basically, you just sit in the parking lot and drink (which does have it's merits...).

Denney's??? I go to the GAB alot; where the heck is the Denney's?

BTW, there are places to go... there's a sports bar in an alley off from Vine (can't remember the name); the In-Between Tavern right across the street from the GAB and Head-First Sports Bar in the other direction (2nd Street), plus Gameday right down the street on Pete Rose Way.

And if you don't mind walking just a couple blocks (closer than walking across the bridge), The Havanna Martini Bar is right down the street from the Westin (5th), and there are several places on Walnut between 5th and 6th. The Rock Bottom is on Fountain Square.

Then you have Margarita's on 4th between Vine and Race Sully's sports bar is on 7th and Race, and there's Champs in the Hyatt. Actually, there are more but I can't remember them all.

If you want to drive a bit, the Main Street Entertainment district is between 10th and 12th. Lots of places there and on the streets on either side of Main.

No, except for Gameday, Head First, and the In-Between you have to walk a few blocks. But if you walk across the bridge, you're doing that anyway. I guess I'm a wanderer, because I never have a problem finding a place to hang out if I choose to do so after the game, though I do miss all the GREAT watering holes they tore down to build Paul Brown Stadium.

PS - I have NEVER had a vender be rude to me, nor even one of the FEW homeless for that matter. And the musicians are very very nice if you take the time to speak to them and perhaps compliment them on their music.

I did, however, once have a total maniac try to get in my face when leaving the Aranoff Theater one night. TM told me he usually hangs out in Clifton but that night he was ranting and raving at every person who would not give him money. Must admit, he was a bit scary.

Brisco
04-03-2007, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=TeamBoone;1283256]Denney's??? I go to the GAB alot; where the heck is the Denney's?

Teamboone, I believe that he was referring to area round the stadium in KC.

OSUredsFAN
04-03-2007, 09:53 PM

Milwaukee and Miami are a few that I've been to that is isolated.

AtomicDumpling
04-04-2007, 03:10 AM
GABP and PBS have had more economic impact on Northern Kentucky than on Cincinnati or Hamilton County. Since it is the taxpayers of Hamilton County that are paying for the stadiums it was pretty darn stupid of us to build them right on the very edge of the county where most of the benefits do not go to the people paying the bill. Since the selfish people of Northern Kentucky did not contribute a single penny to help us keep the teams in town we should not have built the stadiums in a place where those cheapskates get to reap the benefits.

They should have built them in the center of Hamilton County so that all the benefits would go to the Hamilton County residents footing the bill. Where is the center of Hamilton County? Reading? Norwood? Just imagine how much space is there that could have housed the stadium and all kinds of fun stuff around it. It would have revitalized the whole area.

Instead we got two stadiums on a virtual island separated from the city by a freeway and a whole lot of concrete.

sonny
04-04-2007, 03:49 AM

Are you kidding?!!! Cow tipping opportunities all over the place

BRM
04-04-2007, 09:30 AM
KC.

I have no problem with sitting in the parking lot drinking. In fact, I've done it in KC a few times. :)

Redsland
04-04-2007, 11:24 AM
And the Banks is going to happen, sooner than a lot of people think I bet.
:bowrofl:

Stop it! You're killing me!

:)

Johnny Footstool
04-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Denney's??? I go to the GAB alot; where the heck is the Denney's?

Teamboone, I believe that he was referring to area round the stadium in KC.

Yes I was. Nothing around the KC stadiums except concrete and low-rent fast food.

Roy Tucker
04-04-2007, 12:03 PM
And the Banks is going to happen, sooner than a lot of people think I bet. They have a developer and there's money to be lost if they stall, money to be made if they get going.

Got some paper towels? I just sprayed coffee all over my PC.

It's a :deadhorse, but the county and the city screwed the pooch on the Broadway Commons vs. the Wedge thing.

bucksfan2
04-04-2007, 02:06 PM
I dont know if its is feasable but couldn't the reds lower the field a little bit? There is very limited space for the reds to move back the wall any so why not try this. I know Michigan did it to their football stadium years back.

Chip R
04-04-2007, 02:40 PM
I dont know if its is feasable but couldn't the reds lower the field a little bit? There is very limited space for the reds to move back the wall any so why not try this. I know Michigan did it to their football stadium years back.

That might be feasable if the home runs the Reds were giving up just sneaked over the fences but that's like the talking head on ESPN who speculated about how much better Adam Dunn would do in Yankee Stadium. It's not like Dunn's HRs are just getting over the wall.

Chip R
04-04-2007, 07:11 PM
I think the stadium - as far as dimensions go - is fine as is. In fact I think that Narron and the press shuld play up the small dimensions and the alleged low pitcher's mound just to get into the heads of the opposing pitchers. I'd like to see guys come in here and be worried about pop flies turning into HRs. But you don't want to play it up too much because you may scare off free agent pitchers. Although anybody with half a brain knows that you can pitch well in GAB if you are a good pitcher. Look at Arroyo and Harang. I've seen Roy Oswalt, Brandon Webb, Roger Clemens and Doug Davis come in here and shut the Reds down. You use it as a selling point. Make it a challenge and appeal to their manhood.

vaticanplum
04-04-2007, 09:06 PM
The Banks will happen! I have a crystal ball!!!

OldRightHander
04-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Yes I was. Nothing around the KC stadiums except concrete and low-rent fast food.

But there's the lovely view of I-70 beyond center field. That has to count for something.