PDA

View Full Version : Mallory's ceremonial first pitch

Redlegs
04-02-2007, 08:41 PM
The mayor of our beloved city of Cincinnati threw out the absolute worst ceremonial first pitch I've ever seen in my 38 years of life. Eric Davis looked absolutely baffled as the mayor's toss was headed directly toward the Reds on deck circle rather than home plate.

How we lookin?.........NOT GOOD.

Ltlabner
04-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Yea, not that it matters a hill of beans to the outcome of the game or human history or anything. But that was one sad, sad, sad "throw".

Cheif Bender (who is maybe in his 90's, 80's at least) had a better looking throw last year. Forget which game. He threw it from the rubber, and while it bounced and rolled (hey, the guys's old) it at least ended up at home plate. Mallory's throw? Not so much.

redhawkfish
04-02-2007, 09:49 PM
I thought maybe he watched Bull Durham last night and was trying to hit the mascot!!:evil:

CrackerJack
04-02-2007, 09:55 PM
I was looking for that gem on YouTube just to have a cheap/quick laugh - no luck yet.

howyoufreelin
04-02-2007, 10:14 PM
I was there. People booed him which was kind of sad, but it was a terrible, terrible throw.

Had to be embarassing for the poor guy.

roby
04-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Eric davis's facial expressions were priceless. He couldn't believe it.

hebroncougar
04-02-2007, 10:42 PM
I was there. People booed him which was kind of sad, but it was a terrible, terrible throw.

Had to be embarassing for the poor guy.

I don't blame them. Throwing out the first pitch for the Reds opener is one heck of an honor. That was the saddest, most pathetic effort I've ever seen.

TOBTTReds
04-02-2007, 11:02 PM
The umpire pretended to throw him out of the game.

Highlifeman21
04-02-2007, 11:05 PM
The umpire pretended to throw him out of the game.

There was no pretend in that.

Mallory got run before the 1st pitch.

Perhaps one of the only good calls the boys in blue made today.

I was less than impressed with the man behind the plate. Inconsistent zone is putting it nicely.

RFS62
04-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Ya think he practiced and played catch a few times to get prepared for that throw?

Yikes, a two year old has a better arm.

WMR
04-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Just have a look back at the Kennedy-Nixon debate... I wonder how many future votes he lost with that "throw" today?

MartyFan
04-02-2007, 11:40 PM
I've been looking all over the web for it and haven't found it yet...if any of you spot it...PLEASE POST IT!

kxblue
04-03-2007, 12:39 AM
It had to be better than Bush's. Mind you I didn't get to see GW's as I was forced to wait outside the stadium for an hour and 15 minutes do to ridiculous security.

Yes, I am still bitter. The first pitch should never be more important than the game on opening day.

as_v_1
04-03-2007, 12:40 AM
Carl Lewis thought that pitch sucked.

RedFanAlways1966
04-03-2007, 08:03 AM
To give those who have not seen it an idea of how baaaaadddddd it was... it made the ESPN SportsCenter highlights. ESPN doesn't show 1st pitches unless it is a president, a vice president, etc. They did nto show mayors of mid-sized cities... unless it is so pathetic that it needs to be shown for the laugh.

paintmered
04-03-2007, 08:10 AM
His pitch was so bad, the ball nearly ended up further away from the plate than before he threw it.

RFS62
04-03-2007, 08:17 AM
His pitch was so bad, the ball nearly ended up further away from the plate than before he threw it.

Yeah, and it would have been if it hadn't stopped rolling.

RedsFan75
04-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Bad thing, in the pre-game he said it was his birthday and he was doubly honored to be throwing it out.

Heath
04-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Poor Mayor. He must have taken tips from this guy.

http://static.flickr.com/49/130958307_cce79383eb_o.jpg

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a but outside.

redsmetz
04-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Ya think he practiced and played catch a few times to get prepared for that throw?

Yikes, a two year old has a better arm.

My cousin is his brother's bailiff and I called him after the game and told him the judge should have been out there warming the mayor up. I like Mark Mallory, but he's never struck me as being the most athletic guy around. My guess is, should the honor ever come around, he'll warm up somewhere before hand. And on his birthday day, no less!

OesterPoster
04-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Here it is. Eric Davis's reaction is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx6zsub-neU

Ltlabner
04-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Top shelf!

pahster
04-03-2007, 10:45 AM
I feel sorry for him. He doesn't appear to be athletic at all. His form was awful. I bet he was pretty nervous, too, because I'm sure he knew his skills were quite limited. Unless he's able to laugh at himself and roll with the joke, I hope this passes quickly.

redsmetz
04-03-2007, 10:58 AM
I feel sorry for him. He doesn't appear to be athletic at all. His form was awful. I bet he was pretty nervous, too, because I'm sure he knew his skills were quite limited. Unless he's able to laugh at himself and roll with the joke, I hope this passes quickly.

I suspect he was like me when I was a kid. If he played at all, he was probably the proverbial right fielder.

His form was awful, as you mentioned, and it broke down when he went into his windup. I think he'll be able to laugh it off.

Unassisted
04-03-2007, 11:07 AM
The mayor of my city is about 75 years old and I am sure that he could make a straighter throw than Mayor Mallory did.

MartyFan
04-03-2007, 11:20 AM
I could only watch it once...I felt so darn bad for the guy.

WOW...maybe his mom and dad never let him out of his room as a kid?

Redsland
04-03-2007, 11:48 AM
According to the Enquirer, he warmed up prior to throwing that pitch.

Twice.

:ughmamoru

LoganBuck
04-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Cold Pizza had it on this morning and they called it the worst first pitch ever!

cumberlandreds
04-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Cut him a break. I'm sure he thought he was supossed to throw it to the umpire. ;) Davis look is priceless. :laugh:

DTCromer
04-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Well with John McSherry, (God Bless his soul) President Bush, and now Mr. Mallory, we sure have had some of the most news-worthy opening days in recent history.

TheWalls
04-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Somewhere (heaven or earth), there's a father who should be embarassed because he never played catch with his son.

This becomes another priceless piece of Reds Opening Day lore.

jhiller21
04-04-2007, 02:25 AM
I know Mallory's a democrat and all, but did he really have to throw it that far to the left?

sonny
04-04-2007, 03:51 AM
Looked like he really wanted to cuss

Jpup
04-04-2007, 05:26 AM
it looked like he got extremely mad to me that the ump was laughing at him. I about fell in the floor when I saw it. It was really embarrassing. They should of just let Eric Davis throw out the first pitch.

paintmered
04-04-2007, 08:49 AM
This thing has officially taken on a life of its own....

Mallory pitches again on ABC-TV

Mark Mallory will re-do his failed Opening Day pitch tonight on ABC-TV's "Jimmy Kimmel Live."

The show invited - and is paying for - Mallory to fly to Los Angeles right after today's 2 p.m. City Council meeting. He'll return to Cincinnati on Thursday.

Mallory plans to turn the negative into a positive by talking to Kimmel about some of the good things happening in the city.

"Who would've thought such a bad pitch could bring such good attention to the city of Cincinnati?" the mayor said. "I have an opportunity to talk about great things that are going on in the city."

He didn't know if Kimmel would be the catcher.

"If so," Mallory said, "he better watch his nose."

Watch it at 12:05 a.m. tonight on WCPO-TV (Channel 9).

He'll also do an interview between 10 a.m. and noon today on the ESPN2 show "Cold Pizza."

Jane Prendergast

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070404/SPT04/704040363/-1/CINCI

michst
04-04-2007, 09:57 AM
I was hoping he would turn it into a positive. Embrace it, instead of trying to ignore it. Could be good to go on tv and have a chance to talk about the good things about Cincinnati.

redsfanfalcon
04-04-2007, 10:01 AM
I've been looking all over the web for it and haven't found it yet...if any of you spot it...PLEASE POST IT!

Go to Youtube and type in Cincinnati mayor first pitch. I think that should bring it up.

George Anderson
04-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Mallory has received so much publicity on this throw that he cant be that upset. Granted he looked like a clown but his name is all over the country right now for this pathetic throw, and anyone who understands politics knows name recognition is everything !!

In fact most people myself included,have never even heard of the guy. Now I wont forget him anytime soon!!

Roy Tucker
04-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Seems like he is being a good sport about it.

From the Mayor's office via http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070404/SPT04/704040364

Mayor gives Top 10 reasons for blooper

10. I have a shoulder injury from cracking the whip on council.

9. I got some last-minute tips from Lou Piniella.

8. I was protesting Ken Griffey's move to right.

7. I didn't want to show up President Bush. He might put a wiretap on me.

6. I am saving my best stuff for my Bengals tryout.

5. First pitch? I thought I was throwing out the first bowling ball.

4. I grew up in the West End playing on concrete. A field with grass and dirt threw me off.

3. Eric Davis' red shoes blinded me.

2. My best sport is Putt-Putt.

1. Eric Davis missed the sign. I called for a pitchout.

Mayor's office

Redsland
04-04-2007, 11:26 AM
I know Mallory's a democrat and all, but did he really have to throw it that far to the left?
:laugh:

crash54
04-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Cut him a break. I'm sure he thought he was supossed to throw it to the umpire. ;) Davis look is priceless. :laugh:

I thought he was trying to throw at the umpire! I said that to my TV right away. My TV disagreed however and said that the guy just can't throw.

foltza
04-04-2007, 01:00 PM
anyone catch him on cold pizza today? i'm curious to what, if anything, they talked about besides the pitch....

Shaknb8k
04-04-2007, 01:00 PM
I just watched an interview of him on Cold Pizza this morning and it looks like he took it well and joked about it a lot. Im glad to see that cause i felt awful for the guy. Then i heard it was his birthday and i felt even worse. His face after he threw it topped it all off. But now that i noticed that he can joke about it i feel a lot better.

Bobcat J
04-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Mayor Mallory is going to be on Jimmy Kimel Live tonight.

George Anderson
04-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Mayor Mallory is going to be on Jimmy Kimel Live tonight.

I cant imagine how many political figures are kicking themselves for not thinking of doing something as simple as this to garner attention.

Redsland
04-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Sure beats smoking crack or having dead people vote for you. :thumbup:

Bobcat J
04-04-2007, 01:42 PM
I cant imagine how many political figures are kicking themselves for not thinking of doing something as simple as this to garner attention.

The media advisory announcing his appearances on Cold Pizza and JKL said that he was determined to use an embarassing situation to promote Cincinnati. When life gives you lemons.

RFS62
04-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Sure beats smoking crack or having dead people vote for you. :thumbup:

Hey, speak for yourself.

Matt700wlw
04-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Looks like Mr. Red and Gapper were a bit "happy" during the festivities as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsIvPbPTI5U&mode=related&search=

CrackerJack
04-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Mallory on Kimmel - 2nd throw gets it, audience wears helmets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjwFnfEVdgQ

He's a good sport.

KittyDuran
04-09-2007, 09:53 PM
There's now a sandwich honoring the pitch at Izzy's... :D

New sandwich: 'Mallory Screwball'
BY JANE PRENDERGAST | JPRENDERGAST@ENQUIRER.COM

Just when you thought last week’s mayoral pitch was old news, Izzy’s comes up with a new twist: a new sandwich, The Mark Mallory Screwball.

And to continue poking fun at the Opening Day pitch that landed nowhere near the plate, the Screwball’s ingredients will be “any two meats tossed in the general direction of a bun or two pieces of bread.”

All a customer has to do “is say they want the mayor’s screwball and tell us what they want on it,” said John Geisen, Izzy’s president.

The Screwball comes with a potato pancake and pickles, for $7.75.