PDA

View Full Version : Brad Lidge hasn't gotten over the HR yet

edabbs44
04-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Just blew his first save opp of the year. I'm saying it now, fantasy players...pick up Wheeler while you can.

boognish
04-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Ugh. I have him in both of my leagues, and Wheeler in only one.

AtomicDumpling
04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
I added Wheeler as a free agent in both of my leagues. I am counting on Lidge to implode.:D

After Wheeler takes over as closer I will use him in my active lineup and trade one of my stud closers for a stud hitter. Nice way to get a free star. That is my wicked little plan anyway.

Do you know of any good keeper leagues in need of a dedicated new player?

Falls City Beer
04-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Anyone want to bet that Luke Scott terrorizes Reds' pitching all year? I'm not saying he's a great hitter or anything, just that hitters like Scott (A. Ramirez is another example, big hacking dudes) run roughshod over Reds' pitching.

M2
04-03-2007, 12:45 AM
I've already predicted that Lidge will assume a permanent fetal position on May 12. Though perhaps I was being too conservative.

traderumor
04-03-2007, 12:49 AM
I wonder if anyone has told Lidge that his team won the next game and they went to the series anyhow? Sometimes stating the obvious can do wonders for a guy ;)

vaticanplum
04-03-2007, 12:50 AM
I feel like shaking Brad Lidge and saying, dude, it is JUST BASEBALL.

It isn't, but it really is, you know?

HumnHilghtFreel
04-03-2007, 12:52 AM
I feel like shaking Brad Lidge and saying, dude, it is JUST BASEBALL.

It isn't, but it really is, you know?

My mind. Blown![/Cosmo Kramer]

jfar23
04-03-2007, 02:59 AM
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9237/lidgecj1.jpg

WMR
04-03-2007, 03:01 AM
Someone better find Astrobuddy and talk him down off the lidge..err.. ledge

sonny
04-03-2007, 03:05 AM
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9237/lidgecj1.jpg

That is a beautimus picture

Reds Nd2
04-03-2007, 12:06 PM
I've already predicted that Lidge will assume a permanent fetal position on May 12. Though perhaps I was being too conservative.
I think you might be M2. Lidge won't last that long if he doesn't soon find the 4-5 mph he's lost on his fast ball. Last season he was regularly hitting 97-98 and last night his fast ball was sitting at 93-94. He touched 96 mph once the entire inning last night.

TeamSelig
04-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Reds Nd2 summed it up.

I wouldn't doubt that he is hurt.

He can't blow hitters anyway anymore, with having basically an average fastball.

texasdave
04-03-2007, 12:26 PM
I'd trade for Brad Lidge in a heartbeat if the Astros ever decided it was time to cut bait with him.

Yachtzee
04-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Pitching Coach: Over Macho Grande?
Brad Lidge: No, I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande.

deltachi8
04-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Lidge has to hunker sown and win one for the Zipper

BRM
04-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Garner is removing him from the closer role.

Brad Lidge, who blew the save on opening day and struggled on Sunday against the St. Louis Cardinals, has been removed as closer. Dan Wheeler is the new closer. Chad Qualls and Rick White are now the main setup guys.

"I'm going to change the bullpen configuration a little bit," Phil Garner said. "Brad is not going to close as a general rule. There may be a situation where I may o it, but as of right now I'm going to pitch him earlier in the game, sixth inning area, sixth-seventh inning area 'cause I want to pitch him more often, give him more consistent work. As it stands right now I'll probably close with Wheeler, set up with Qualls and White.

"If I use those guys to get to the ninth inning we should have the lead. There might be an occasion when I close with Brad."

GoReds
04-09-2007, 03:50 PM
"Chad Qualls and Rick White are now the main setup guys."

That's funny right there, I don't care who ya are.

Maybe they could make Lidge a starter... :)

kaldaniels
04-09-2007, 03:53 PM
"Chad Qualls and Rick White are now the main setup guys."

That's funny right there, I don't care who ya are.

Maybe they could make Lidge a starter... :)

Between that combo and Randy Keisler starting for SL, this division is up for grabs. Go Reds!!!

NatiRedGals
04-09-2007, 03:59 PM
04/09/2007 1:27 PM ET
Wheeler to replace Lidge as closer
Right-hander will instead be slotted in sixth or seventh inning
By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

Manager Phil Garner announced prior to Monday's series opener with the Chicago Cubs that Brad Lidge will not be closing games for the Astros in the foreseeable future.

"Brad will not be closing as a general rule," Garner said. "There may be a situation where it will be right to do it, but we'll probably pitch him earlier in the sixth or seventh inning."

Dan Wheeler will be the primary closer for the Astros.

Alyson Footer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

edabbs44
04-09-2007, 04:02 PM
So happy that I drafted Wheeler in my fantasy league. So happy.

Dracodave
04-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Lidge is slipping but don't all power-pitching closers? I'm waiting for K-Rod to be added to the list of crazy talented-power pitchers that slowly start to fade.

NatiRedGals
04-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Dosent effect me! I got joe nathan and trevor hoffman and i was last pick in the draft to!

Johnny Footstool
04-09-2007, 04:53 PM

I dropped him about a half an hour before the Astros made their announcement.

Johnny Footstool
04-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Wheeler did his best Brad Lidge impression in Chicago today. 1 IP, 4 H, 2R, 2K in a non-save situation.

edabbs44
04-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Wheeler did his best Brad Lidge impression in Chicago today. 1 IP, 4 H, 2R, 2K in a non-save situation.

Why name someone a closer on Monday, get them a save the same day and then have them pitch in a non-save situation.

I think Garner was a little scared to throw anyone else with a 4 run lead. That's how you burn out your bullpen.

PS: Rick White has an all-goose egg ERA.

Johnny Footstool
04-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Why name someone a closer on Monday, get them a save the same day and then have them pitch in a non-save situation.

I think Garner was a little scared to throw anyone else with a 4 run lead. That's how you burn out your bullpen.

PS: Rick White has an all-goose egg ERA.

Ironically, after Wheeler started struggling, Garner had Lidge warm up in the bullpen. How odd would it have been to have Lidge get the save?

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Ironically, after Wheeler started struggling, Garner had Lidge warm up in the bullpen. How odd would it have been to have Lidge get the save?

How ironic. You name a closer, he botches a game to a closing situation. The man who can't get a save for the life of him..comes out and gets the save? Welcome to the Astro-Zone..

Jr's Boy
04-10-2007, 08:20 PM

Big deal,I drafted Otsuka and Wheeler.;)

Chip R
04-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Lidge isn't too happy about this

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2832996

Johnny Footstool
04-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Lidge isn't too happy about this

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2832996

That article contains a link to a radio clip of Brad Ausmus explaining that Lidge has developed a mechanical flaw that is causing his slider to break differently, and hitters have started recognizing it.

Reds Nd2
04-12-2007, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't be too happy about that. Just sayin'...

Exactly.

How ironic. You name a closer, he botches a game to a closing situation. The man who can't get a save for the life of him..comes out and gets the save? Welcome to the Astro-Zone..
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6091

This is panic, and misplaced panic at that. The Astros had five losses when Phil Garner made this decision. One of them was arguably attributable to Lidge (who, it should be noted, left with the game tied); the other four were all about the team’s lousy hitters, a group that scored 16 runs and put up a .283 OBP in the season’s first week. Craig Biggio played worse than Lidge did and kept his job; so did Chris Burke. Demoting Brad Lidge was a reaction to the Astros’ inability to score, a tantrum, kicking the dog because you had a bad day at work. Lidge lost his job because his teammates didn’t hit for a week.

Chip R
04-12-2007, 12:48 AM
That article contains a link to a radio clip of Brad Ausmus explaining that Lidge has developed a mechanical flaw that is causing his slider to break differently, and hitters have started recognizing it.

I wonder if he's tipping his pitches too. ;)

edabbs44
04-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Lidge is..

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/GAN/AUD-024~Nifty-Fifties-Toast-Posters.jpg

Comes in, bottom 9 in a 6-2 game vs Milwaukee and promptly goes walk, walk, K, HR to Fielder. 6-5, one out.

edabbs44
04-21-2007, 12:10 AM
Update...ground out and double to Estrada. Lidge is out.