PDA

View Full Version : Alex Gonzalez? Seabass? Bonzo Gonzo? A-Gonz? A-Gizzle?

RedEye
04-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Opening Day has a way of magnifying everything. For some reason, after today's win I feel like Dunn is going to hit 60, Harang is going to win 25, and Griffey is going to play 162. It's a beautiful thing, this small sample size time of the season.

That said, I did feel REALLY good about what I saw of Alex Gonzalez today. That stab up the middle where he almost dove to beat the runner to second was pretty amazing even though it didn't result in an out. It was also quite nice to see his self-assured throws across the diamond to Hatteberg. He seems to be as-advertised, and I think he could make a big difference for our defense this year.

Your thoughts?

CTA513
04-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Opening Day has a way of magnifying everything. For some reason, after today's win I feel like Dunn is going to hit 60, Harang is going to win 25, and Griffey is going to play 162. It's a beautiful thing, this small sample size time of the season.

That said, I did feel REALLY good about what I saw of Alex Gonzalez today. That stab up the middle where he almost dove to beat the runner to second was pretty amazing even though it didn't result in an out. It was also quite nice to see his self-assured throws across the diamond to Hatteberg. He seems to be as-advertised, and I think he could make a big difference for our defense this year.

Your thoughts?

The runner probably goes 1st to 3rd if Gonzalez doesnt stop that ball in the infield.

RedEye
04-02-2007, 11:36 PM
The runner probably goes 1st to 3rd if Gonzalez doesnt stop that ball in the infield.

My thoughts exactly... and the runner never scored, right?

Ron Madden
04-02-2007, 11:36 PM
I really like Alex Gonzales but God I Hate That Nickname.

CTA513
04-02-2007, 11:38 PM
My thoughts exactly... and the runner never scored, right?

No runs scored that inning, but the next batter flew out to Griffey and then Harang threw a wild pitch to the following batter which moved both runners up.

RedEye
04-02-2007, 11:43 PM
No runs scored that inning, but the next batter flew out to Griffey and then Harang threw a wild pitch to the following batter which moved both runners up.

That's right. I remember now: if Gonzalez hadn't made the play, then the lead runner would have scored on the wild pitch.

paintmered
04-02-2007, 11:48 PM
That's right. I remember now: if Gonzalez hadn't made the play, then the lead runner would have scored on the wild pitch.

Correct.

TOBTTReds
04-03-2007, 12:00 AM

I hate the knickname too. I prefer something that actually refers to his name like AGonz or something. Seabass is a knickname for someone named Sebastian.

WMR
04-03-2007, 12:04 AM
I thought the nickname was pretty much slayed in the game thread today.

Topcat
04-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Far as I'm concerned there is only one Seabass and that's Cam Neely!

RedEye
04-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Okay... so I'll change the title of the thread. Now can we have some actual discussion of his play?

Ron Madden
04-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Okay... so I'll change the title of the thread. Now can we have some actual discussion of his play?

No need for that RedEye, I was just kiddin'.

reds44
04-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Phillips, Gonzalez, and Freel are going to have a nasty collison by the end of the year. They all cover so much ground.

RedEye
04-03-2007, 12:30 AM
I already changed the thread title (and I know you were kidding) but seriously, what do y'all think of Seabass... er... A-Gonz in the middle? Anyone else have a good feeling?

I guess I was just surprised at how smooth and effortless he looked. He even made Phillips look a little herky-jerky, and that's saying something. It's almost as if when he throws the ball, his release point is much more consistent than any of our infielders over the past few years. A possible exception is Castro, but it seems that A-Gonz also has better range.

I've seen some defensivee metrics that say he's overrated - and at his age, he might be in for a decline soon - but I guess I'm just more positive about this move now than I was when I heard about it. We might be paying too much, but at least we're getting what we paid for, eh?

Ron Madden
04-03-2007, 12:35 AM
I think he will be fine with the glove and that helps a bunch.

Just hope his bat is better than it has been.

vaticanplum
04-03-2007, 12:55 AM

It has just now clicked for me whom you all were referring to when talking about Seabass.

I didn't know who Seabass was, and I didn't realize until just now that I just let it go. I just thought, there's a guy on the Reds I don't know, and I moved on without delving any further. That in itself is nuts. What the hell is wrong with me? There's a guy playing on my team and everyone's talking about him and I'm just going to skip over this one?

I can be really thick sometimes. I wonder how often this stuff happens and a statement like the above never comes out to make me put two and two together.

Where does the name come from? Is that a dense question too?

Ohio1804
04-03-2007, 01:00 AM
There was an article in Hardball Times today about zone ratings. Gonzalez fares pretty well.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/what-is-zone-rating

RedEye
04-03-2007, 01:01 AM
It has just now clicked for me whom you all were referring to when talking about Seabass.

I didn't know who Seabass was, and I didn't realize until just now that I just let it go. I just thought, there's a guy on the Reds I don't know, and I moved on without delving any further. That in itself is nuts. What the hell is wrong with me? There's a guy playing on my team and everyone's talking about him and I'm just going to skip over this one?

I can be really thick sometimes. I wonder how often this stuff happens and a statement like the above never comes out to make me put two and two together.

Where does the name come from? Is that a dense question too?

I believe Kevin Millar gave it to him when he played for Boston, but I don't remember wherehe got it from right now.

reds44
04-03-2007, 01:02 AM
I don't go why calling him Seabass is such a big deal to some people. People pitched a fit about me doing it in the gamethread.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-03-2007, 01:04 AM
I believe Kevin Millar gave it to him when he played for Boston, but I don't remember wherehe got it from right now.

Because he's usually emotionless... like a seabass? At least that's one of the theories I've heard.

RedEye
04-03-2007, 01:06 AM
I don't go why calling him Seabass is such a big deal to some people. People pitched a fit about me doing it in the gamethread.

I think it's funny, actually. Not many nicknames seem as unrelated to the person. I think it's my second favorite nickname on the Reds (behind Farney, of course... that's up there with my all-time favorite sports nicknames... although I guess when the name also refers to a 'voice' inside a players head, it transcends the genre).

George Anderson
04-03-2007, 01:08 AM
Everybody's favorite SS Royce Clayton went 1-2 with a single and a walk before being lifted for a pinch hitter in the seventh. Jays beat the Tigers in extra innings.

RedEye
04-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Everybody's favorite SS Royce Clayton went 1-2 with a single and a walk before being lifted for a pinch hitter in the seventh. Jays beat the Tigers in extra innings.

I knew we should have kept him.

RedEye
04-03-2007, 02:00 AM
I have now changed the thread title again after seeing (and liking) this new nickname from the Game Thread. I will not change it again unless two or three people complain about not liking it, at which point this thread will get even longer, padding our discussion about his nickname (and continuing our lack of discussion of his fielding, which was my original intention).

RedsZone action... it's FAAAAAAN-tastic!

Jpup
04-03-2007, 02:07 AM
I don't go why calling him Seabass is such a big deal to some people.

because you and Redeye are the only ones doing it.

RedEye
04-03-2007, 02:20 AM
because you and Redeye are the only ones doing it.

Nope, not anymore. I will now only refer to him as Bonzo Gonzo. Mark it down.

sonny
04-03-2007, 02:49 AM
Because he's usually emotionless... like a seabass? At least that's one of the theories I've heard.

If that was the case, he would have been called Selig

RedEye
04-03-2007, 03:03 AM
Come to think of it, isn't Seabass the nickname for Sebastien Janikowski? Now there's an athlete who is pretty different from our SS!

Boss-Hog
04-03-2007, 08:08 AM
If this was some nickname that everyone calls him, (i.e. Junior or The Mayor) I could understand, but you're the only one who uses it.

WMR
04-03-2007, 08:15 AM
If this was some nickname that everyone calls him, (i.e. Junior or The Mayor) I could understand, but you're the only one who uses it.

Although Raisor's "Bonzo Gonzo" seems to be picking up steam. rofl

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MaineRed
04-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Far as I'm concerned there is only one Seabass and that's Cam Neely!

:thumbup:

Originally Posted by reds44

Because it doesn't relate to him at all and some people have no clue who you are talking about. Its a stupid nickname, it isn't Reds related and until it gains significant steam and becomes obvious it is his clubhouse nickname here, I'd bag it.

Dunner44
04-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Question: Why is there this fascination with making the starting shortstop wear #2 the past two years? First Lopez had it, then Old Man Clayton, now Bonzo Gonzo...

Danny Serafini
04-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Dear God, can we please come up with something better than Bonzo Gonzo? That's just incredibly corny. I'd rather go nicknameless than have that attached to me.

IslandRed
04-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Dear God, can we please come up with something better than Bonzo Gonzo? That's just incredibly corny. I'd rather go nicknameless than have that attached to me.

Really. :laugh: It's not like "Gonzalez" is that hard to spell, and "Bonzo Gonzo" isn't any easier to type. Not every player has to have a nickname. No need to force it. Just my opinion, of course.

Raisor
04-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Really. :laugh: It's not like "Gonzalez" is that hard to spell, and "Bonzo Gonzo" isn't any easier to type. Not every player has to have a nickname. No need to force it. Just my opinion, of course.

As the originator of "Bonzo Gonzo" for Gonzalez, I can only say that's a totally obscure pro-wrestling reference.

I wasn't actually serious about using it, but if it catches on, who am I to deny the rights of the masses from using it? If Bonzo Gonzo ever gets on a t-shirt, I better get royalties.

M2
04-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Bonzo Gonzo?

Blech.

Raisor
04-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Bonzo Gonzo?

Blech.

But it rhymes. Every good nickname should rhyme.

westofyou
04-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Bonzo Gonzo?

Blech.

I saw his doo sans hat.... I'm going with Sideshow Gonzo

BRM
04-03-2007, 10:53 AM

So that's why Big Donkey is such a bad nickname. It doesn't rhyme.

westofyou
04-03-2007, 10:57 AM
So that's why Big Donkey is such a bad nickname. It doesn't rhyme.

Sultan of the Swat only has rhyme if you're John Cage.

RichRed
04-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Question: Why is there this fascination with making the starting shortstop wear #2 the past two years? First Lopez had it, then Old Man Clayton, now Bonzo Gonzo...

Because all shortstops should bat in the #2 spot in the lineup, everyone knows that. Gonzo was woefully out of place in the #7 spot yesterday.

(Totally kidding.)

M2
04-03-2007, 12:18 PM

But Gonzo? Calling a guy named Gonzalez Gonzo is like calling a LHP Lefty.

texasdave
04-03-2007, 12:23 PM
And Bonzo Gonzo starts us down a slippery slope. What's next? When Alex Gonzalez and Brandon Phillips pull off a particularly nifty double play are we going to start saying they just executed a 'Wango Tango' on the opposition? How about Gonzilla?

MartyFan
04-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Dunn is on pace to hit 300+ Home runs this year!

pedro
04-03-2007, 12:32 PM
I saw his doo sans hat.... I'm going with Sideshow Gonzo

I like "Sideshow Alex" better.

lollipopcurve
04-03-2007, 12:39 PM
But Gonzo? Calling a guy named Gonzalez Gonzo is like calling a LHP Lefty.

There's something to be said for nicknames that are old as dirt. It's baseball. Trying to come up with something never works. Gotta let it happen.

westofyou
04-03-2007, 12:44 PM
There's something to be said for nicknames that are old as dirt. It's baseball. Trying to come up with something never works. Gotta let it happen.

Personally I like nicknames that come out of stupid and insignifcant incidents.

IE "Pants" Rowland

Clarence Henry "Pants" Rowland (February 12, 1879 - May 17, 1969) was a Major League Baseball manager for the Chicago White Sox from 1915 through 1918 who went on to become a major figure in minor league baseball. He was born in Platteville, Wisconsin.

He started in baseball at age nine, where he earned his nickname, "Pants", from base-running antics while wearing his father's overalls at games of the Dubuque (Iowa) Ninth Street Blues.

Think about the best nicknames they come form nothing, example Pedro knew a guy in College who everyone called Mike 'Sandwich"

Why?

Because the top bunk once fell on him in his dorm room... making him a "sandwich"

Often they are incredibly mean, example my buddy was not a good math student, he was in the remedial class for awhile, the Publisher of the class book for him was different then ours, his was made by "Holt" while ours was made by someone else.

So..... we called him "Holt" for a few years.

mound_patrol
04-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Bonzo Gonzo kind of sounds like a corny clown name. And I hope the reds D isn't like a 3-ring circus

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
04-03-2007, 12:50 PM

Think about the best nicknames they come form nothing, example Pedro knew a guy in College who everyone called Mike 'Sandwich"

Why?

Because the top bunk once fell on him in his dorm room... making him a "sandwich"

Often they are incredibly mean, example my buddy was not a good math student, he was in the remedial class for awhile, the Publisher of the class book for him was different then ours, his was made by "Holt" while ours was made by someone else.

Dude that was cold:evil: How about "A Gizzle"

zombie-a-go-go
04-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Dude that was cold:evil: How about "A Gizzle"

Or Alex. Alex works for me.

*yawn*

RedEye
04-03-2007, 01:07 PM
There seems to be quite a bit of disagreement about his nickname, so I've now put many options on the title of the thread. Let's see how long this keeps going...

PS - I gave up on the idea of having any constructive discussion about Alex's defensive play. Now you can only post here about his nickname, got it?

M2
04-03-2007, 01:07 PM

Seabass already happened, not that I've ever used it, but that's the one he got that stuck.

pedro
04-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Everyone knows that most seabass is really patagonian toothfish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Toothfish.jpg

coachw513
04-03-2007, 01:09 PM
There seems to be quite a bit of disagreement about his nickname, so I've now put many options on the title of the thread. Let's see how long this keeps going...

PS - I gave up on the idea of having any constructive discussion about Alex's defensive play. Now you can only post here about his nickname, got it?

See this is what happens when MLB gets us excited with an opening day, then kills us with a day off the next day...we just can't help ourselves :rolleyes:

RedEye
04-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Seabass already happened, not that I've ever used it, but that's the one he got that stuck.

Although that was his nickname in Boston, right? Is there any sense he ever responded to it, or was it just what Millar and others called him without his knowledge?

I get the sense the Gonzalez is that quiet kind of guy who won't really respond to prodding from other players, so my guess is that he just quietly accepted 'Seabass' and kept on trucking.

pedro
04-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm sticking with "Sideshow Alex"

pahster
04-03-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm gonna go with "Alex Gonzalez" or "Gonzalez."

nate
04-03-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm partial to "The Gonz" or "Gonzie" which will hopefully bring us "Happy Days".

Aaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!

Red Leader
04-03-2007, 01:15 PM

How about:

.246 (his lifetime average) :dunno:

Manos de Oro, Jr. :dunno:

WMR
04-03-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm partial to "The Gonz" or "Gonzie" which will hopefully bring us "Happy Days".

Aaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!

GONZIE!!! Hahahahah that's great!

Photoshoppers?? :D

pedro

Aaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!

"Gonzie" is pretty good except that it is somewhat endearing and I'm sure a lot of folks don't want to go there.

WMR
Why can't his nickname be endearing?

pedro
04-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Why can't his nickname be endearing?

Only because I get the feeling a lot of folks here don't like him and wish he wasn't on the Reds. As such they would probably be happier with a somewhat derogatory nickname such as "stick".

membengal
04-03-2007, 01:26 PM
I have been calling him Alex G when I pop into game threads. I will continue doing so. Results of this thread be darned.

RFS62
04-03-2007, 01:32 PM
I like "Sideshow Alex" better.

http://vitriolix.com/sidesho_bob_2.gif

RichRed
04-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I like Sideshow Alex too.

Too bad Penitentiary Face is already taken (Jeffrey Leonard).

And if he looks so serious all the time, how about something silly like Chuckles?

adampad
04-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Getting back to that great play where he dove and then tagged the bag. It was a great play, but I think if he stops at second, Philips comes up with it and back hands it for an out at second.

For nicknames, I kinda like A-Gon. Or maybe Al Gone. They could play that you can call me Al song when he comes up.

M2
04-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Although that was his nickname in Boston, right? Is there any sense he ever responded to it, or was it just what Millar and others called him without his knowledge?

I get the sense the Gonzalez is that quiet kind of guy who won't really respond to prodding from other players, so my guess is that he just quietly accepted 'Seabass' and kept on trucking.

Isn't that the way nicknames happen? It's not like you get to pick your nickname.

BTW, I believe Millar dubbed him Seabass in Florida. It's the consequence of playing on a team with Millar, you get a strange nickname.

nate
04-03-2007, 02:08 PM
C'mon...."Alex Gonzarelli"...work with me, people!

Castellini can be "Mr. C"

Aurilia's gone so we need a new "Richie"

Instead of "Aaaaaaaay, the Fonz does not...Roller Skate!" it can be "Aaaaaay, the Gonz does not...hit for average!"

I'm telling you, this one has legs!

texasdave
04-03-2007, 02:15 PM
I did notice the Reds' cheerleaders crowding around 'Gonzie' after the game. Next thing you know they will be wanting themselves introduced as "Gonzie's Girls". Where will it all end?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
04-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Drop the Bonzo

RedEye
04-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Isn't that the way nicknames happen? It's not like you get to pick your nickname.

BTW, I believe Millar dubbed him Seabass in Florida. It's the consequence of playing on a team with Millar, you get a strange nickname.

That's a good point. I think I've come full circle. Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'm back to Seabass. No more title changes though.

WMR
04-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Honestly Gonzo is the best thing to call him, IMO. That's what I'll call him in game threads, and if it was any other on our team with the last name Gonzalez I'd prolly call him 'Gonzo' as well... unless, of course, we had multiple Gonzos... that could pose a conundrum.

DoogMinAmo
04-03-2007, 02:41 PM
How about Alonzo, as in Redszone was Mourning the day he was signed?

Dunner44
04-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I like Sideshow Alex too.

Too bad Penitentiary Face is already taken (Jeffrey Leonard).

And if he looks so serious all the time, how about something silly like Chuckles?

He does have this crazy serious look all the time. After he got griffey in with a sac fly, he just calmly walked back to the dugout. No smile, no frustration when it was caught (compare that to Dunn's bat slam after he finally had contact that did not result in a HR). I'm using Chuckles.

Newman4
04-03-2007, 02:54 PM
How about "Six Four Three" because it refers to his defensive abilities and his OPS all in one :evil:

MississippiRed
04-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Getting back to that great play where he dove and then tagged the bag. It was a great play, but I think if he stops at second, Philips comes up with it and back hands it for an out at second.

For nicknames, I kinda like A-Gon. Or maybe Al Gone. They could play that you can call me Al song when he comes up.

I like AGon, too, although you have to admit it sounds like a laundry detergent.

blumj
04-03-2007, 03:00 PM
I always liked Auto-Out.

Red Leader
04-03-2007, 03:01 PM
I always liked Auto-Out.

Harsh. But funny. :laugh:

ThatPitchIsDunn
04-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Maybe Triple-G (Gold Glove Gonzo) could catch on. I'll call him Trips for short.

RedEye
04-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Harsh. But funny. :laugh:

Auto-Out is only harsh if it refers to his offense...

Caveat Emperor
04-03-2007, 03:19 PM
My friends and I are going to wear T-Shirts to a game this summer that just have a picture of Gonzalez's face and the words:

"ALEX GONZALEZ PUTS OUT"

And then some 6-3, 6-4-3, 4-6-3s written around the edges.

Degenerate39
04-03-2007, 03:27 PM
I think Bonzo Gonzo will be the Gold Glover this year. He should've been last year but Derek Jeter was also in the position. And we all know DJ can make a thousand errors and still be the gold glove winner.

deltachi8
04-03-2007, 03:49 PM
As the originator of "Bonzo Gonzo" for Gonzalez, I can only say that's a totally obscure pro-wrestling reference.

I wasn't actually serious about using it, but if it catches on, who am I to deny the rights of the masses from using it? If Bonzo Gonzo ever gets on a t-shirt, I better get royalties.

Don't you make enough off your Pythag Theory patent?

Red Leader
04-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Don't you make enough off your Pythag Theory patent?

and the lava lamp. Don't forget the lava lamp. :cool:

Raisor
04-03-2007, 04:25 PM

I also invented soap. Too bad Puffy hasn't caught onto that one.

Puffy
04-03-2007, 04:30 PM
My friends and I are going to wear T-Shirts to a game this summer that just have a picture of Gonzalez's face and the words:

"ALEX GONZALEZ PUTS OUT"

And then some 6-3, 6-4-3, 4-6-3s written around the edges.

You guys are crazy! I wanna party with you all!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/825505/yousuck.jpg

Puffy
04-03-2007, 04:31 PM
I also invented soap. Too bad Puffy hasn't caught onto that one.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/825505/Cartman.jpg

Tom Servo
04-03-2007, 05:09 PM
As far as the whole nickname debate goes, I'm partial to A-Gon for Alex Gonzalez, even if it doesn't roll off the tongue quite like A-Rod.

Redsland
04-03-2007, 05:12 PM
What about Lex?

Or Glovey McGloverton?

TC81190
04-03-2007, 06:26 PM
I think Dave would fit.

sonny
04-03-2007, 07:32 PM
What about Lex?

Or Glovey McGloverton?

Actually I think Gloverson Lighthit

or Seabasstian D. Phense

Big Klu
04-03-2007, 08:48 PM

Lopez originally wore #12 with the Reds, but he was in the minors when Bob Boone was fired and Dave Miley was hired. Miley chose the number #12, so when Lopez returned to the big leagues in 2004, he was given another "low number" (a number an infielder might prefer): #2. When Lopez was traded, the only available low numbers were #2 and #16, so Clayton chose #2. Similarly, #2 was also one of the few low numbers available when Gonzalez was acquired.

I also invented soap.

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/gifs/pht_lava_family_1204_2.gif

wheels
04-03-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't get the whole Seabass thing.

I'd get confused every time it popped up.

Unassisted
04-03-2007, 09:54 PM
A.G.

Someone who has those initials should be nicknamed

Aggie

or Attorney General

or nicknamed after a favorite Attorney General

like Ashcroft

or Reno.

http://www.morethings.com/fan/saturday_night_live/snl_photos/will_ferrell-janet_reno.gif

Dunner44
04-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Actually I think Gloverson Lighthit

or Seabasstian D. Phense

I like Gloverson Lighthit if you throw in a "Mc" to make it:

Gloverson McLighthit. And perhaps you should throw in some unnecessary titles as well. For example:

Dr. Gloverson McLighthit, M.D. (M.D. here standing for Mad Defense)

That would be DGMMD for short. Easy to remember...

rotnoid
04-03-2007, 10:55 PM
C'mon...."Alex Gonzarelli"...work with me, people!

Castellini can be "Mr. C"

Aurilia's gone so we need a new "Richie"

Instead of "Aaaaaaaay, the Fonz does not...Roller Skate!" it can be "Aaaaaay, the Gonz does not...hit for average!"

I'm telling you, this one has legs!

Let's just hope he doesn't jump the shark.

MaineRed
04-03-2007, 11:03 PM
A.G.

Someone who has those initials should be nicknamed

Aggie

or Attorney General

or nicknamed after a favorite Attorney General

like Ashcroft

or Reno.

You left out the most obvious one, AG the AG, Alberto Gonzalez.

Barbarossa
04-03-2007, 11:10 PM
If he never cracks a smile why not just call him Smiley?:)

blumj
04-03-2007, 11:27 PM
If he never cracks a smile why not just call him Smiley?:)
Or, just use the :) instead of calling him anything. Like: :) just made a great play. Or, since he doesn't smile, use :( , which, come to think of it, does look just a tiny bit like a fish face. :thumbdown 's face looks even more fish-like. Or would that be fishy? :laugh:

Mario-Rijo
04-04-2007, 12:10 AM
I usually call him Gonzo or occassionally A-Gon. But I also added in the game thread yesterday just Zo. It's of course derived from GonZo via Gonzales.

Like Dogminamoo stated earlier there were some in Mourning when he was signed. And it's short, easy to say, easy to type and he is the Center-piece of our defense.

:thumbup:

MississippiRed
04-04-2007, 12:19 AM

WOY, I have to tell you this. I read this today and then went and picked up my son at football practice. When we got home, he got out and brought the garbage cans up and I brought his books inside. I happened to notice the publisher of his history book was Holt. I just busted out laughing. He had to know the story so we had a good laugh at your friend's expense. That is the meanest (and funniest) nickname.

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-04-2007, 12:19 AM
if he's going to be fast getting to balls up the middle, then how about plain ole Speedy Gonzalez...undelay undelay undelay

Cyclone792
04-04-2007, 01:21 AM
I'm gonna go with "Alex Gonzalez" or "Gonzalez."

I'm with pahster here. Alex Gonzalez will simply be Alex Gonzalez. Or maybe Gonzalez for short. But that's about it.

Players really only earn nicknames in my book when they perform terribly on the field. Here's to hoping Gonzalez won't earn that distinction.

Ron Madden
04-04-2007, 05:52 AM
Don't get me wrong here, there is nothing wrong with a nickname. Is it really a nickname though, if just one or two people know or call someone by that nickname? :dunno:

It's just my opinion but Gonzalez, Alex, AGon or Gonzo are as easy to type as Seabass.

I have no problem with the defense Gonzalez brings to the table. The thing that worries me is his habit of making outs.

Signing Gonzalez could be a good move by Wayne Kriviski, Kriviski, Wayne,WK,Kriv,KrivDog, Special "K". ;)

Jpup
04-04-2007, 06:04 AM
Don't get me wrong here, there is nothing wrong with a nickname. Is it really a nickname though, if just one or two people know or call someone by that nickname? :dunno:

It's just my opinion but Gonzalez, Alex, AGon or Gonzo are as easy to type as Seabass.

I have no problem with the defense Gonzalez brings to the table. The thing that worries me is his habit of making outs.

Signing Gonzalez could be a good move by Wayne Kriviski, Kriviski, Wayne,WK,Kriv,KrivDog, Special "K". ;)

You also forgot WaynO, Krivsky, and Big K. This is one crazy thread. :laugh:

Why is Karl Ravech the only person that calls Adam Dunn "Big Donkey"? He says it everytime he talks about Dunner. I think Reds fans call him Dunn, Adam, or Dunner. There are very few that I ever see type Big Donk.

sonny
04-04-2007, 06:40 AM
There are very few that I ever see type Big Donk

At least not in a baseball forum. :lol:

Jpup
04-11-2007, 02:19 PM
I just wanted to point out that I think that Alex Gonzalez is an amazing shortstop. He seemingly gets to everything close to him and makes all the plays. I am hoping that he will also be a great influence on Edwin.

I am very much enjoying seeing him in a Reds uniform. He's also swinging the bat halfway decent.

:beerme:

Red Leader
04-11-2007, 02:31 PM
After last night, I might start calling him AB.

As in, Ain't Buntin'.