PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Reds fans!!!!!!!!

WVPacman
04-03-2007, 01:47 AM
You guys can talk about the players all you want but you know what the greatest thing was about todays game??? It was the fans!!! I mean I loved watching every single minute of that game and im glad we won but seeing GABP sold out and watching all the reds fans cheering non stop wearing all red was absolutly awesome.

Guys this has to happen every single game!!!! You seen how the players reacted while playing... they loved it!!!!!!!!! Thats what cincinnati reds baseball is all about playing a 162 game season with all your home games sold out.Come on reds fans keep this going!!!!!!!!

Jaycint
04-03-2007, 10:05 AM
It was very nice to see and I agree that it would be cool to keep that kind of fan momentum going. (Here comes the but)

BUT, once you subtract the people there that view it as just a social event and place to be seen once a year we'll be back down to the mid 20,000's soon enough.

Heck I could count 3 or 4 of those here at my office alone yesterday. They show up on April 2nd to put in a half day at work, wearing their Reds t-shirt and ballcap of course, and then from that day forward you don't hear a peep out of them regarding the Reds or baseball at all for the rest of the season.

Don't get me wrong, the Reds do have a great core fanbase, especially here at this site, but probably half the people at the ballpark yesterday won't be able to tell you who's in first place in our division in August.

SunDeck
04-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Put a team on the field that generates excitement and you'll get that. This is what Lindner never understood.

kbrake
04-03-2007, 10:13 AM
I thought the fans were horrible yesterday. When I go to a game I want to watch baseball not drunk jackasses on their cellphones. This was my 5th straight Opening Day and it might have been my last for awhile. I paid 150 for a ticket to seriously have drunk people who couldnt name 6 players on either team stand up and talk on their phones to friends a section over and wave like idiots the entire game. Never been so frustrated at a game in my life.

Highlifeman21
04-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Not trying to be a downer, but the Reds will always sell out on Opening Day.

Unfortunately, I wonder if the Reds will crack double digits for sell outs this year.

I hope they do, I'd love to see the organizational and fan base culture changing in Cincinnati.

redsmetz
04-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Certainly high attendance is important, but I'm not a big fan of lots of sell-outs. I'd like to see us average in the 30's somewhere. I would hate the thought of not being able to just pick up and go to the game or be able to bring a group to the game because most games are sold out.

My daughter and I did luck out on some SRO tickets yesterday, just $5.00 over face value each. We ended up sitting out the first base line in two seats. We had talked to one guy who wanted $80 each for seats like this and I said "no thanks" (I would have paid him $40 each, $10 over face). I joked with my daughter that maybe we sat in those seats anyway!

To repeat, I like that there are seats available and that there are bargains available (group rates, church dates, college nights, etc.). Constant sell-outs would end the Reds as an affordable entertainment option, IMO.

Unassisted
04-03-2007, 11:54 AM
The real fans will be the ones who show up for tomorrow's game, when the weather is 30 degrees cooler and overcast.

Redsland
04-03-2007, 12:09 PM
The real fans will be the ones who show up for tomorrow's game, when the weather is 30 degrees cooler and overcast.
:wave:

SunDeck
04-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Not trying to be a downer, but the Reds will always sell out on Opening Day.

Unfortunately, I wonder if the Reds will crack double digits for sell outs this year.

I hope they do, I'd love to see the organizational and fan base culture changing in Cincinnati.

I think they are headed in the right direction, but it may not happen immediately. If they win consistently and if exciting things happen on the field then fans will start to show up.

dougdirt
04-03-2007, 02:57 PM
I thought the fans were horrible yesterday. When I go to a game I want to watch baseball not drunk jackasses on their cellphones. This was my 5th straight Opening Day and it might have been my last for awhile. I paid 150 for a ticket to seriously have drunk people who couldnt name 6 players on either team stand up and talk on their phones to friends a section over and wave like idiots the entire game. Never been so frustrated at a game in my life.

That is what opening day is about. Its a social event, not a baseball game for half of the people there. That is why Wednesday there will be 25,000 or less there. All of the "social" people will not be in attendance. I had a woman next to me ask me if they were allowed to have cell phone and use them in the stadium. She was a very nice woman, but it was obvious she had never been there before or had a real clue of what was going on.

While opening day is something special, I always love mid June games with 20,000 FANS at the game, because for the most part, the crowd is there to watch a baseball game and not to be seen by someone.

KittyDuran
04-03-2007, 03:04 PM
The real fans will be the ones who show up for tomorrow's game, when the weather is 30 degrees cooler and overcast.:wave: too!!! [and Friday, Saturday and Sunday as well]

KittyDuran
04-03-2007, 03:05 PM
I think they are headed in the right direction, but it may not happen immediately. If they win consistently and if exciting things happen on the field then fans will start to show up.IMHO if those things happen, you'll see the impact the following year.

Chip R
04-03-2007, 03:30 PM

Of course there are some fans, for whatever reason, can't make it to all 81 home games. Work, school, family, money are all reasons why people can't make it to all the games. Doesn't make them any less "real fans" IMO.

RANDY IN INDY
04-03-2007, 03:42 PM
I think what he was trying to say, Chip, is that a lot of the folks that show up on Opening Day are there for the "event" and not because they are really baseball fans.

15fan
04-03-2007, 03:43 PM

Bah. That's child's play.

Who's going to join me for the 1:05 game on Wednesday, July 18th against the Braves in Atlanta?

Cyclone792
04-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Given the nature of "Reds fans" combined with the weather forecast, GABP will be a ghost town for the remainder of the homestand. It wouldn't surprise me at all if half the fans down at the park Wednesday and Thursday are Cubs fans too.

TeamBoone
04-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Given the nature of "Reds fans" combined with the weather forecast, GABP will be a ghost town for the remainder of the homestand. It wouldn't surprise me at all if half the fans down at the park Wednesday and Thursday are Cubs fans too.

If that's true, than most of that half were wearing red.

I think next year I'll try to buy OD tickets from the Cubs website; couldn't get them here this year.

Cyclone792
04-03-2007, 04:05 PM
If that's true, than most of that half were wearing red.

I think next year I'll try to buy OD tickets from the Cubs website; couldn't get them here this year.

I'm not talking about yesterday, rather I'm talking about tomorrow and Thursday.

I was at the second game of the season last year for Arroyo's Reds' debut, and there was an ungodly high percentage of Cubs fans there. In fact, my section (circa 110) was filled up, and roughly 80 percent of the fans in that section were Cubs fans.

I don't expect that to change this year either for the second and third game of the season.

Caveat Emperor
04-03-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't expect that to change this year either for the second and third game of the season.

Although, I think since the Wednesday tickets were a package deal for opening day seats, you'll see fewer Cub fans since they would've had to make a multi-game commitment to get the seats.

Yachtzee
04-03-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm not talking about yesterday, rather I'm talking about tomorrow and Thursday.

I was at the second game of the season last year for Arroyo's Reds' debut, and there was an ungodly high percentage of Cubs fans there. In fact, my section (circa 110) was filled up, and roughly 80 percent of the fans in that section were Cubs fans.

Must have come down from Miami University. That place is a conduit to Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville.

Cyclone792
04-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Although, I think since the Wednesday tickets were a package deal for opening day seats, you'll see fewer Cub fans since they would've had to make a multi-game commitment to get the seats.

Hopefully that's the case as far as paid attendance is concerned, but it'll be interesting to see how the stadium looks as far as butts in the seats and the color blue. Just for kicks, I looked up the attendance figures last season for the first homestand. This is embarrasing ...

Date Day/Night Opp. Attendance
Mon, 04/03/06 Day Cubs 42,591 (Opening Day)
Wed, 04/05/06 Day Cubs 27,287
Thu, 04/06/06 Night Pirates 13,887
Fri, 04/07/06 Night Pirates 16,573
Sat, 04/08/06 Day Pirates 20,244
Sun, 04/09/06 Day Pirates 22,090

Games 2-6 Average: 20,016

I remember the April 5th game vividly as it was a gorgeous day with temperatures around 60 degrees, and I even got a bit of a sunburn. However, I still would have guessed at least 10k of those 27k+ fans were Cubs fans. The attendance figures for the Thursday and Friday night games against the Pirates were awful, and that's not too bad of an indicator how many Cubs fans may have been in attendance for the Wednesday afternoon game.

Raisor
04-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Bah. That's child's play.

Who's going to join me for the 1:05 game on Wednesday, July 18th against the Braves in Atlanta?

I didn't know it was a get-a-way game. grrrrrrrrr...

If I'm at my current job, I'll be there. If I get this new job I'm interviewing for, who knows?

KittyDuran
04-03-2007, 05:06 PM
I remember the April 5th game vividly as it was a gorgeous day with temperatures around 60 degrees, and I even got a bit of a sunburn. It was also a day game. It was part of the Power Pack and I nearly forgot about it. Had to scramble to ask for a half day from work and get the OK before noon.

15fan
04-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I didn't know it was a get-a-way game. grrrrrrrrr...

If I'm at my current job, I'll be there. If I get this new job I'm interviewing for, who knows?

If the new job won't let you knock off to go see a matinee baseball game, then I'd think long & hard before accepting an offer. ;)

And besides - you wouldn't have to tell them that you were going to root for the Reds (and not the Braves) until after the game.

OnBaseMachine
04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
I was so proud to be a Reds fan yesterday. The ovation they (me included) gave Hamilton was incredibly CLASSY. And calling Dunn out for a curtain call. That was awesome.

vaticanplum
04-03-2007, 07:59 PM
I remember the April 5th game vividly as it was a gorgeous day with temperatures around 60 degrees, and I even got a bit of a sunburn. However, I still would have guessed at least 10k of those 27k+ fans were Cubs fans.

Cyclone, I totally agree with you that Reds attendance is pathetic, but the one excuse I will always give them is a day game during a school year. This isn't Wrigleyville where (stereotype approaching) people can afford to take an afternoon off work all the time. There's no way I could go to the game tomorrow if it were a day game, and no doubt a lot of people would be in that same boat not least of all because so many people take off Opening Day (which is a much easier day off from work and school given the city). That's no doubt why it's NOT a day game tomorrow like it was last year. If tomorrow was an evening game with better weather, I bet it'd be significantly better-attended than Game 2 last year, especially now that Cincinnati loves Arroyo.

But day games really are just tough for people who live here. Cubs fans who are there have clearly already taken time off work to travel or are college students who can skip class without serious ramifications. I begrudge Reds fans a lot, but I don't begrudge them not turning up for day games. Unfortunately, they're just not very viable for a lot of people this time of year.

Chip R
04-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Cyclone, I totally agree with you that Reds attendance is pathetic, but the one excuse I will always give them is a day game during a school year. This isn't Wrigleyville where (stereotype approaching) people can afford to take an afternoon off work all the time.

Lee Elia would go even further and tell you that they don't have to take off work since they are unemployed. :D

But day games really are just tough for people who live here. Cubs fans who are there have clearly already taken time off work to travel or are college students who can skip class without serious ramifications. I begrudge Reds fans a lot, but I don't begrudge them not turning up for day games. Unfortunately, they're just not very viable for a lot of people this time of year.

I think a lot of this "people go to Opening Day only" is somewhat overblown. It has become quite a big thing over the last 15-20 years. But if you look at past attendance figures on Retrosheet, you will see that little has changed attendance wise here. Opening Day always sold out and then they drew 5,000 the next day/night. The Reds never drew a million people until 1956. People here have traditionally - for whatever reason - not come out to the games in droves until they felt that the Reds were for real. Even during the BRM days they would draw 5,000 for a night game in April against ATL. But they could draw 2.5M cause that weekend they could draw 45K - 55K if someone like the Dodgers were in town.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who go Opening Day and Opening Day only. But there are a lot of other people who couldn't go to Opening Day for whatever reason and they will go to the games the one-timers won't. If there were 20K people - a high estimate - who only go to Opening Day, that's still 20K who are the die hards. That's a pretty good base right there. We may be envious of the Cubs selling out most of their games at Wrigley but a lot of those people are there to party and don't care about the game. Sure, their money is just as green and it looks a lot better on TV but a lot of those people aren't real fans. Plus they have quite a larger market to draw from.

vaticanplum
04-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Lee Elia would go even further and tell you that they don't have to take off work since they are unemployed. :D

I always thought his point was that they could take off work whenever they wanted because they were rich and spoilt. Which, coincidentally, is my point as well.

edit: I'm not being totally fair here...I really believe that the biggest reason, among many, that the Cubs draw so much better than the Reds during the day is because it's just a bigger city.

Cyclone792
04-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Cyclone, I totally agree with you that Reds attendance is pathetic, but the one excuse I will always give them is a day game during a school year. This isn't Wrigleyville where (stereotype approaching) people can afford to take an afternoon off work all the time. There's no way I could go to the game tomorrow if it were a day game, and no doubt a lot of people would be in that same boat not least of all because so many people take off Opening Day (which is a much easier day off from work and school given the city). That's no doubt why it's NOT a day game tomorrow like it was last year. If tomorrow was an evening game with better weather, I bet it'd be significantly better-attended than Game 2 last year, especially now that Cincinnati loves Arroyo.

VP, while that may be a feasible excuse, the problem is it's an excuse for exactly one home game during this homestand. Not only that, but after this Thursday the next Reds weekday day home game isn't until May 10th.

Interestingly, when I checked those boxscores from the first homestand last season, I also checked the weather listing in the boxscore. The first Friday night game last season didn't even draw 17k fans. The weather was listed as 60 degrees and overcast. Now I don't remember if there was a threat of rain that night or not, but 60 degrees during the evening in early April is pretty nice.

Heck, I wish it was going to be 60 degrees and overcast this Friday night when I'm down at the game, but instead it'll probably be around 30 degrees.

remdog
04-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Must have come down from Miami University. That place is a conduit to Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville.

Just curious, Yachtzee. Why do you say that?

Rem

Newport Red
04-03-2007, 09:58 PM

Rem

In the early 80's, when I went to Miami, Chicago and Cleveland were well represented.

GAC
04-03-2007, 10:03 PM
The Reds drew 2.1 Mil last year. 26,000/game (22nd in MLB). The A's, a team that has put a consistent winner on the field, was 26th (1.9 mil - 24,000/game).

When I look at the "list" - market size appears to be a determining factor, with your larger market teams heading the the top 15.

During the years of the BRM (1970-76), they averaged just under 2 Mil/year (24,900/game). If we could match the attendance of the WS years...
75 - 2,315,603/28,588
76- 2,629,708/32,466
90- 2,400,892/29,641

We should be happy.

But we had a blast yesterday at Opening Day. Got to meet up with redhawkfish and wife, BuckWoody and friends, paintmered, and met up with Chip, vaticanplum, and Kitty later on afterwards. Great weather, great game. Loved seeing idiot Zambrano losing it in the dugout. :lol:

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow that I took.

remdog
04-03-2007, 10:04 PM
In the early 80's, when I went to Miami, Chicago and Cleveland were well represented.

Got it. When I went to Bowling Green, Chicago, Cleveland and New Jersey were all well represented.

I've alwys felt that Ohio state run universitys have attracted a lot of out-of-state students that believed them to be a good value in both the education they offer as well as the cost factor. I take that as a compliment but I could be wrong.

Rem

top6
04-03-2007, 10:15 PM
LOTS of people from Chicago go to Miami. A lot of people at my firm have sons/daughters there. It is looked at as a very good school here.

Also, it seems like every other 20-something in Lincoln Park is wearing a Miami shirt.

GAC
04-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Can someone find a pic of Freels' diving catch from yesterday for me? I've been looking around for it, but have yet to find it. Thanks.

Yachtzee
04-03-2007, 11:57 PM

Rem

In addition to what others have said about Chicago kids going to Miami, I think a lot of Ohio kids who go to Miami end up in Chicago. Most of my brother's college friends ended up sharing apartments in Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville at some point.

Cedric
04-04-2007, 12:11 AM
In addition to what others have said about Chicago kids going to Miami, I think a lot of Ohio kids who go to Miami end up in Chicago. Most of my brother's college friends ended up sharing apartments in Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville at some point.

Yep, third biggest city in the nation and it's four hours from Miami. It's really got it all.

OldRightHander
04-04-2007, 01:03 AM

I was sitting near some of the "Opening Day as a social event" folks as well. This was my 15th straight and I've always run into a fair number of them. The person to my right spent nearly the entire game conducting business on his cell phone. I kept interrupting him with observations about the game, just because I knew it would irritate him. He would be in the middle of some important sounding call and I would say something like, "Harang's got this hitter on the ropes here. Do you think he'll get him out with the slider or come back with another fastball?" At one point he said, "Excuse me!" and pointed at his phone. I replied, "Excuse me, but I'm trying to watch a baseball game here." I think he left sometime around the 6th inning. The couple to my left only stayed until the 5th inning and the whole time they were there I don't think they paid any attention to the game at all. The man spent the entire time staring at his PDA doing God knows what and the woman was reading a book. At other games during the year, I can usually talk about the game with the person sitting next to me.

redsmetz
04-04-2007, 09:43 AM
The Reds drew 2.1 Mil last year. 26,000/game (22nd in MLB). The A's, a team that has put a consistent winner on the field, was 26th (1.9 mil - 24,000/game).

When I look at the "list" - market size appears to be a determining factor, with your larger market teams heading the the top 15.

During the years of the BRM (1970-76), they averaged just under 2 Mil/year (24,900/game). If we could match the attendance of the WS years...
75 - 2,315,603/28,588
76- 2,629,708/32,466
90- 2,400,892/29,641

We should be happy.

But we had a blast yesterday at Opening Day. Got to meet up with redhawkfish and wife, BuckWoody and friends, paintmered, and met up with Chip, vaticanplum, and Kitty later on afterwards. Great weather, great game. Loved seeing idiot Zambrano losing it in the dugout. :lol:

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow that I took.

The truth is, IMO, that for the Reds to succeed, they must regain the regional fan base that Marge let go fallow. We need to be drawing fans from Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, northern Tennessee, etc. That's tough to do during the school year. Certainly once school's out, we need to be bolster the annual attendance. And average the best of the 70's years still leaves tickets available on the whim too.

SunDeck
04-04-2007, 10:05 AM
IMHO if those things happen, you'll see the impact the following year.
Well, if they do what they did in '99, which was to create a lot of excitement on the field (ie, winning a lot of games late), then I think some folks will show up during the current season. But I agree that it would definitely act on the following one. A good season results in more media coverage which sells more merchandise and a advertising revenue, which in turn generates more exposure...it all helps to bring out more fans. The bottom line IMO is that Bob Castellini just seems like a guy who wants to run a ballclub as opposed to a guy who sees it purely as a financial vehicle for the next five years.

Unassisted
04-04-2007, 10:17 AM
I was sitting near some of the "Opening Day as a social event" folks as well. This was my 15th straight and I've always run into a fair number of them. The person to my right spent nearly the entire game conducting business on his cell phone. I kept interrupting him with observations about the game, just because I knew it would irritate him. He would be in the middle of some important sounding call and I would say something like, "Harang's got this hitter on the ropes here. Do you think he'll get him out with the slider or come back with another fastball?" At one point he said, "Excuse me!" and pointed at his phone. I replied, "Excuse me, but I'm trying to watch a baseball game here." I think he left sometime around the 6th inning.

Good tactic. :laugh: :thumbup:

Chip R
04-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Well, if they do what they did in '99, which was to create a lot of excitement on the field (ie, winning a lot of games late), then I think some folks will show up during the current season. But I agree that it would definitely act on the following one. A good season results in more media coverage which sells more merchandise and a advertising revenue, which in turn generates more exposure...it all helps to bring out more fans. The bottom line IMO is that Bob Castellini just seems like a guy who wants to run a ballclub as opposed to a guy who sees it purely as a financial vehicle for the next five years.

The fans really never turned out for those games until September.

SunDeck
04-04-2007, 12:39 PM
The fans really never turned out for those games until September.

That's what I mean. I remember going early in the year and there not being many fans. But the excitement of the year brought them out in the same year, but not immediately.

pedro
04-04-2007, 01:19 PM
I was sitting near some of the "Opening Day as a social event" folks as well. This was my 15th straight and I've always run into a fair number of them. The person to my right spent nearly the entire game conducting business on his cell phone. I kept interrupting him with observations about the game, just because I knew it would irritate him. He would be in the middle of some important sounding call and I would say something like, "Harang's got this hitter on the ropes here. Do you think he'll get him out with the slider or come back with another fastball?" At one point he said, "Excuse me!" and pointed at his phone. I replied, "Excuse me, but I'm trying to watch a baseball game here." I think he left sometime around the 6th inning. The couple to my left only stayed until the 5th inning and the whole time they were there I don't think they paid any attention to the game at all. The man spent the entire time staring at his PDA doing God knows what and the woman was reading a book. At other games during the year, I can usually talk about the game with the person sitting next to me.

Brilliant!

vaticanplum
04-04-2007, 09:56 PM
I was sitting near some of the "Opening Day as a social event" folks as well. This was my 15th straight and I've always run into a fair number of them. The person to my right spent nearly the entire game conducting business on his cell phone. I kept interrupting him with observations about the game, just because I knew it would irritate him. He would be in the middle of some important sounding call and I would say something like, "Harang's got this hitter on the ropes here. Do you think he'll get him out with the slider or come back with another fastball?" At one point he said, "Excuse me!" and pointed at his phone. I replied, "Excuse me, but I'm trying to watch a baseball game here." I think he left sometime around the 6th inning.

My boss owes me 20 bucks, I knew he wouldn't make it past the sixth :)

WVPacman
04-05-2007, 12:35 AM
I dread to ask but how many fans was there tonight?? it sounded like the the cub had the avantage 60-40.:(

TeamBoone
04-05-2007, 12:39 AM
I dread to ask but how many fans was there tonight?? it sounded like the the cub had the avantage 60-40.:(

KittyDuran
04-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I dread to ask but how many fans was there tonight?? it sounded like the the cub had the avantage 60-40.:(True...too much blue. But on the bright side, I think the cold kept them from being too obnoxious. There were a lot of Reds fans disguised as Bengal fans and empty seats...;)

RFS62
04-05-2007, 07:20 PM
It makes me happy to think that thousands of Cubs fans drove hundreds of miles to sit in the freezing cold and get their butts kicked.

paintmered
04-05-2007, 07:28 PM

Chicago is still well-represented from what I hear from my friends who attend Miami.

GAC
04-06-2007, 05:53 AM

For a mid-week game in absolutely freezing weather - that's not bad at all IMO.