PDA

View Full Version : First Game Observations

HUHUH
04-03-2007, 07:26 AM
1) Steve Phillips is a gas bag. While pumping up Josh Hamilton, he said "he hit some monster home runs this spring" (he hit one) and "he made an unbelievable throw to cut down a runner at home plate" (it was at second base). I, personally, don't believe anything this guy says.

2) David Ross looked clueless at the plate. While Ross did a nice job behind the plate, I can't help but wonder if we'll be pining for Larue by the end of the year.

3) Both EE and Phillips looked a little anxious/nervous at the plate. I hope they both calm down and have the kind of year everyone is hoping for. The Reds chances depend on it.

4) Harang was sweet.

5) Dunn was sweet.

6) It's sad to see Griffey's attitude towards right field. He lost my respect in 2000 when he and Larkin walked out on McKeon (and notice how the Reds have floundered ever since?). My preference would be to ship him out of town as soon as possible.

7) Freel's throw to third was absolutely boneheaded. Sure, he brings something special to the Reds; but man, cut out the stupidity.

8) Sarloos looked good. Will the bullpen show up this year?

HUHUH
04-03-2007, 07:52 AM
9) Please, Jerry, don't make a habit of removing Dunn late in games.

Highlifeman21
04-03-2007, 10:06 AM
9) Please, Jerry, don't make a habit of removing Dunn late in games.

It made sense for the double switch, and with a 4 run lead he wanted to keep Hamilton in the game.

This is actually 1 move I can't fault Jerry Narron.

TheWalls
04-03-2007, 10:06 AM
- How many first pitch strikes did Aaron throw (answer: tons)
- Ross and Philips both looked like deer in headlights
- Dunn and EdE offense nice, both making all the routine plays in the field (and look routine) - Priceless!
- Defense looks much better all around
- I think we're going to love Saarlos, whether out of the pen or as a starter.
- I admit it, I booed both Milton and Moeller during introductions, I'm so ashamed.
- I thought the mayor's CFP was hilarious
- Worst moment of the day: some idiot in the 400 section puking on the floor of the men's room immediately after the gae - MORON! (if I wanted that I'd go to a Cubs game at Wrigley)

Non-game observations
- I missed the Lenny Harris recording on WLW in the morning did they play it?
- parade seemed better this year (attendance and quality of people/things in parade)
- Nice to have fountain square back
- 347-1111 for LaRosas at your seat? AWESOME!!!
- Gamble instead of Furball driving home to Illinois - Dramatic improvement!

as_v_1
04-03-2007, 10:07 AM
2) David Ross looked clueless at the plate. While Ross did a nice job behind the plate, I can't help but wonder if we'll be pining for Larue by the end of the year.

I agree with you about Ross. But come on Ross you gotta get your body in front of that one pitch that skipped away from you. Don’t get lazy on us.

George Anderson
04-03-2007, 10:10 AM
1) Steve Phillips is a gas bag. While pumping up Josh Hamilton, he said "he hit some monster home runs this spring" (he hit one) and "he made an unbelievable throw to cut down a runner at home plate" (it was at second base). I, personally, don't believe anything this guy says.

3) Both EE and Phillips looked a little anxious/nervous at the plate. I hope they both calm down and have the kind of year everyone is hoping for. The Reds chances depend on it.

4) Harang was sweet.

5) Dunn was sweet.

6) It's sad to see Griffey's attitude towards right field. He lost my respect in 2000 when he and Larkin walked out on McKeon (and notice how the Reds have floundered ever since?). My preference would be to ship him out of town as soon as possible.

7) Freel's throw to third was absolutely boneheaded. Sure, he brings something special to the Reds; but man, cut out the stupidity.

What did you see that showed Griffey had a bad attitude about RF??

BRM
04-03-2007, 10:11 AM

I was wondering about that one as well. I didn't get to see the game on TV but no one mentioned anything like that in the game thread.

texasdave
04-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Was anyone else surprised to see the Reds' long reliever/spot starter, pitch the 8th inning? I certainly was. I figured that was Coffey's role.

mound_patrol
04-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Was anyone else surprised to see the Reds' long reliever/spot starter, pitch the 8th inning? I certainly was. I figured that was Coffey's role.

I don't know where I heard or saw it, but I know I heard he was one of four closer candidates. Doesn't sound like a long reliever to me.

redsmetz
04-03-2007, 10:26 AM

I too wondered about his comment. It seems fairly absurd. I only saw one ball that a somewhat winced on, and Griffey made the play. IMO, Griffey was a tad coy with the press (John Fay in particular), but he and his agent have been upfront about him moving to right and that he will do what the club believes best. How on earth can you be any more stand-up than that?

HotCorner
04-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I too wondered about his comment. It seems fairly absurd. I only saw one ball that a somewhat winced on, and Griffey made the play. IMO, Griffey was a tad coy with the press (John Fay in particular), but he and his agent have been upfront about him moving to right and that he will do what the club believes best. How on earth can you be any more stand-up than that?

Some just like to bash Junior at any chance they get.

WMR
04-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I haven't heard a peep out of Junior nor did I witness any behavior yesterday that could possibly be construed as a negative attitude towards manning RF.

mound_patrol
04-03-2007, 11:04 AM
I didn't see Junior showing any negativity either. I did think he looked Iffy going after flyballs, foulballs, down the line. But that should get better the more he is out there.

letsgojunior
04-03-2007, 11:12 AM
The only people talking about Jr's position change are the media. Apparently when he doesn't talk, they feel the need to compensate with their pearls of wisdom on the issue (the DDN has resorted to analyzing body language).

Nevertheless, seems to me that he deserves the benefit of the doubt, and until he complains about the position change and/or doesn't get balls that are obviously catchable, I don't see what he has done to open himself to criticism.

Even if he's not jumping up and down over it (or the move out of the 3 hole), he's handling things correctly by not involving the media and accepting the change.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
04-03-2007, 11:13 AM
I was at the game so it was hard for me to tell if Junior showed any signs of a bad attitude but if you didn't go to or watch the game yesterday and just read the Dayton daily news this morning some guy wrote an article saying that he appeared to have a bad attitude out there the whole game. If you read two pages later in a different article it said pretty much the opposite.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
04-03-2007, 11:16 AM
One thing that I did catch in the DDN was where they quoted Junior as saying the fans in Dayton may be better than the fans in Cinci. I happen to live in Dayton so I'm not too upset about it but I would think that there are many that would see that as a shot at the fans in Cinci. Why would you make a comment like that?

bounty37h
04-03-2007, 11:21 AM
I watched it on WGN, and the announcer at one point was talking about fans heckling Jr in right field, and he was obviously annoyed by that. I would be too!!! He looked a littel timid, but moreso just to adjusting to the new angles he is haivng to deal with, its harder to move to a corner spot from center then vice-versa. I enjoyed watching the game, baseballs back, and I think its goign to be a fun year!!!!!

Johnny Footstool
04-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Phillips will soon be dropped from the #3 spot. He still can't discern between fastballs and sliders.

Ross did indeed look baffled -- late swings on a couple of hittable fastballs. Of course, being forced to bat 8th behind Gonzalez would baffle anybody.

Dunn's aggressiveness paid off in his first two ABs, but it cost him in his 3rd AB. He popped out on a pitch way, way up in the zone. He would have taken that pitch last season. Maybe he just got greedy after his first two homers.

WMR
04-03-2007, 11:27 AM
He got fired up after that AB, too, Johnny. Maybe it doesn't mean anything in the grand scope of things, but Adam usually seemed to take a K in a sort of nonchalant manner. It was nice seeing some emotion from him as he reviewed the sequence in his mind.

KoryMac5
04-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I watched the entire game on ESPN and didn't see anything that would lend credence to a bad attitude in right field. He looked out of place and uncomfortable at first but as the game went on he did well, especially on Lee's flyball which ended up being a single. Too many people just enjoy stirring the pot without a shred of evidence to support their claims. All the evidence I needed about a good attitude was his hug of Hamilton in the dugout and the fact that he went the other way twice yesterday, instead of the old stubborn pound it to the right side of the field Griffey.

bucksfan2
04-03-2007, 11:31 AM
One thing that I did catch in the DDN was where they quoted Junior as saying the fans in Dayton may be better than the fans in Cinci. I happen to live in Dayton so I'm not too upset about it but I would think that there are many that would see that as a shot at the fans in Cinci. Why would you make a comment like that?

If you were Jr. would you like Cincinnati fans?? I mean for god sakes they boo him when he gets hurt.

My opening day observations
-I have been to the last 3 and thought this was the most lackluster opening day crowds.
-Harang pitched pretty darn good
-I love watching Zambrano when he talks to himself
-Dunn looked zoned in
-Freel is going to drive me absolutly crazy this year
-I know the concessions are used for donations but please teach them how to serve faster
-I think I rooted harder for Hamilton's liner to get down than I did for anything all day long
-Soriano, Lee, and Ramirez can be dangerous but thats about it
-EE made some good defensive plays
-Johnny Narron should have been introduced as babysitter instead of coach
-Dunn may have lost weight but he still is a big boy

Big Daddy P
04-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Hey, this is ONE fricken game. They won. Winning is good. Winning is very good.

That's it...Enjoy the win! I am!

coachw513
04-03-2007, 12:18 PM

I agree totally...too many "facts" where it was apparent he was going on 2nd/3rd hand knowledge...though it was nice he "jocked" the Reds throughout the day and was very complimentary on some stuff...

3) Both EE and Phillips looked a little anxious/nervous at the plate. I hope they both calm down and have the kind of year everyone is hoping for. The Reds chances depend on it

Uh guys, sample size, sample size...I am also not willing to proclaim Dunn a totally changed hitter and Griffey an opposite field spray hitter...let's give it a bit to settle out...

There is absolutely no basis for this other than someone who doesn't particularly care for Griffey (which is your right)...the only demonstrative action I noted was the wonderful "big brother-esque" hug he gave Hamilton coming into the dugout after Hamilton's lineout...

HUHUH
04-03-2007, 12:54 PM
I did not notice anything opening day regarding Griffey's attitude towards right field. My comment was more general. Has Griffey ACCEPTED the move to right? Has he publicly acknowledged that he accepts the move and will try his hardest to play right? Wouldn't a team player do this? All I hear from him is "there's nothing to talk about" and "it's their decision" etc. Most of his teammates won't talk about it candidly. What does this say about his clubhouse presence?

I stand by my comment. Moreover, I expect Griffey will try and pull a "McKeon" on Narron. But kudos to Jerry for moving him to right and down in the lineup. It is about time.

Caveman Techie
04-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Well heres one of my observations/questions, where did Harang get that changeup? My God that thing was filthy. I don't know if the FSN radar gun was broke or what but his changeup was only registering at 68-69 MPH, but yet it still looked like he was delivering a 92 MPH fastball. He didn't look like he had too much control of his breaking pitches, but that will come and when it does watch out.

I don't know maybe it's just that I haven't been able to watch a game except for yesterday's yet, but I don't remember Harangs changeup being that good. That was the one thing that really stood out to me.

TheWalls
04-03-2007, 05:44 PM

I figured him being 20 feet from Freel when he made a diving catch that Junior hasn't made in five years would have been all the convincing he needed,

HUHUH
04-03-2007, 06:17 PM
It made sense for the double switch, and with a 4 run lead he wanted to keep Hamilton in the game.

This is actually 1 move I can't fault Jerry Narron.

How about putting Josh in center and taking Freel out. Dunn is the ironman and Freel needs the rest and the defense isn't too much worse (especially with a 4 run lead).

Razor Shines
04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
I did not notice anything opening day regarding Griffey's attitude towards right field. My comment was more general. Has Griffey ACCEPTED the move to right? Has he publicly acknowledged that he accepts the move and will try his hardest to play right? Wouldn't a team player do this? All I hear from him is "there's nothing to talk about" and "it's their decision" etc. Most of his teammates won't talk about it candidly. What does this say about his clubhouse presence?

I stand by my comment. Moreover, I expect Griffey will try and pull a "McKeon" on Narron. But kudos to Jerry for moving him to right and down in the lineup. It is about time.

Let me understand. You haven't noticed any bad attitude from Griffey and no one on the team has mentioned any bad attitude from him and you take all that to mean he has a bad attitude about it and you want him shipped out of town? Well I guess after looking at those facts it is hard to argue with you.

TeamBoone
04-03-2007, 07:49 PM
How about putting Josh in center and taking Freel out. Dunn is the ironman and Freel needs the rest and the defense isn't too much worse (especially with a 4 run lead).

I just read today that Narron is planning to rest Freel AT LEAST one game per week... so that just might happen more often than you think, though I doubt you'll see it on a routine basis.

Hamilton will probably relieve both Dunn and Griffey as needed too.

TC81190
04-03-2007, 07:59 PM
When Dunn slammed his bat after popping out to CF, that got me fired up. I've been dying to see that emotion from this team for a long time now.

HUHUH
04-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Let me understand. You haven't noticed any bad attitude from Griffey and no one on the team has mentioned any bad attitude from him and you take all that to mean he has a bad attitude about it and you want him shipped out of town? Well I guess after looking at those facts it is hard to argue with you.

As I said, his comments (or lack thereof) about the move imply a bad attitude.
And yes, I agree, it is hard to argue with me.

Caveman Techie
04-04-2007, 11:28 AM
I only have one comment to that.

HUH?

George Anderson
04-04-2007, 11:41 AM

Freel needs the rest?? Its Opening Day and already a player needs rest???:rolleyes:

Razor Shines
04-04-2007, 12:02 PM

So since he's not saying anything that means he has a bad attitude? He's just going out there doing his job and not making a big deal of it. You're right what a self-centered scamp. Why is he not drawing more attention to himself? I've had it with this "keep my mouth shut and do my job attitude", he deserves the boos and the things that are thrown at him from "Reds" fans in the outfield.

Hoosier Red
04-04-2007, 12:09 PM

I also think Brandon Phillips should say more about accepting his role as the #3 hitter. And David Ross should say how much he accepts his role as the #1 catcher. I think Ryan Freel should accept his move to CF. By their collective silence on such matters, there is only one logical conclusion. They all have bad attitudes and we should get rid of them all. Fricking ingrates.

HUHUH
04-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Razor Shines:
Glad to see you agree with me.

Hoosier Red: I see you agree too, but I think you've gone a little too far. Freel has said that CF is his favorite position. I agree about Ross, but I once saw Phillips mime that he would love to bat 3rd.

coachw513
04-04-2007, 12:22 PM
So since he's not saying anything that means he has a bad attitude? He's just going out there doing his job and not making a big deal of it. You're right what a self-centered scamp. Why is he not drawing more attention to himself? I've had it with this "keep my mouth shut and do my job attitude", he deserves the boos and the things that are thrown at him from "Reds" fans in the outfield.

:beerme:

I for the first (and clearly not the last time this season) alert people to read my signature...quickly :D

HUHUH
04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
:beerme:

I for the first (and clearly not the last time this season) alert people to read my signature...quickly :D

I won't argue with you about that.

UPRedsFan
04-04-2007, 05:22 PM

I think it was because Dunn made the last out the inning prior. Had Freel made the last out, that's what Narron would have done.

TheWalls
04-04-2007, 06:27 PM
I just read today that Narron is planning to rest Freel AT LEAST one game per week... so that just might happen more often than you think, though I doubt you'll see it on a routine basis.

Hamilton will probably relieve both Dunn and Griffey as needed too.

C. Trent seems to imply this may start as early as tomorrow.

TeamBoone
04-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Day game after a night game? Will Griffey sit as well?

kaldaniels
04-04-2007, 11:58 PM

4) Harang was sweet.

5) Dunn was sweet.

And didn't Phillips (Steve) say during spring training that the Reds did poorly with Hamilton, i.e. giving him a spot over "more deserving" minor leaguers. Now he raves. C'mon.