PDA

View Full Version : Okay, an official uniform poll...

coachw513
04-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Lots of differing opinions...what do you think???

membengal
04-03-2007, 08:30 AM
I really like them.

redsmetz
04-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Hot, sexy & they rock is perhaps a bit more than I would say (I don't tend towards superlatives), but I like the look and they're a nice change.

Jaycint
04-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Very simple, traditional looking. Works well for me.

shredda2000
04-03-2007, 09:01 AM
i like 'em :thumbup:

Danny Serafini
04-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Last year's were much, much better.

RedsFan75
04-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Loved em, glad they are a more traditional but classy looking uniform.

macro
04-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Much, much improved! This is the best uniform this team has worn since 1971.

Shaknb8k
04-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Yankees have the best then i would say the Dodgers....and the Reds right behind them and thats not just cause im a Reds fan. Nice clean look. The red undershirts stand out a whole lot and the hats are great. I love em

Always Red
04-03-2007, 10:00 AM
I agree with Redsmetz- hot, sexy and awesome are not adjectives that come to mind, but I love the new look uniforms; simple, classic.

Now, if we could only get the guys to wear stirrups and sanitary hose again...

TOBTTReds
04-03-2007, 10:02 AM
I loved em. I'm surprised it took this long to get a thread about them. Thought they looked very throwback without trying to hard. I loved the all red hat and the fonts they used for the lettering and numbers.

Highlifeman21
04-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Now the Reds look like the Angels, and the Nationals.

westofyou
04-03-2007, 10:20 AM

Yeah but before they looked like the Cincinnati Suds.

RichRed
04-03-2007, 10:21 AM
I like 'em, including the old-school Mr. Red on the sleeve.

pahster
04-03-2007, 10:22 AM
I don't like them. They're entirely too nondescript. They look like half the other teams now. I really liked the last set of uniforms. I do appreciate the crazy looking Mr. Red, though. That handlebar mustache is hilarious!

redsfan30
04-03-2007, 10:23 AM
I really like them. When they first introduced them back at Redsfest I wasn't so big on them, but they've really grown on me.

macro
04-03-2007, 10:44 AM
I really like them. When they first introduced them back at Redsfest I wasn't so big on them, but they've really grown on me.

I had a feeling they would look better on the field. The road set is going to look great, as well, but putting the black bill on the road cap was a mistake.

Yachtzee
04-03-2007, 11:34 AM
I give it a thumbs up. Now if they could just get the players to wear them with visible stirrup socks, that would be cool.

dougdirt
04-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Love the home uniforms.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-03-2007, 12:23 PM
They're plain, but they look OK. Someone mentioned the font, which I like too. I was one of the few fans of the black in the uniforms the last couple years though.

MaineRed
04-03-2007, 12:39 PM
I like em.

Johnny Footstool
04-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Bland. Nothing original or exciting about them at all.

pedro
04-03-2007, 12:46 PM
I like them.

RedlegNation
04-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Much, much improved! This is the best uniform this team has worn since 1971.

I agree with this description.

They rock. I don't know about sexy, but they are very good.

I wish the Reds would stick with these uniforms for the next 100 years. They look classy, and that's what the old-time teams do...stick with the same unis.

RFS62
04-03-2007, 12:52 PM
I give it a thumbs up. Now if they could just get the players to wear them with visible stirrup socks, that would be cool.

That would be awesome.

TC81190
04-03-2007, 05:08 PM

And DBacks now, too.

They're nice. I would've liked a tad less piping while at the same time a bit more red, but I love them all the same. Although I will miss the old ones with the vest/pinstripes. Should've kept them as a alternate.

dsmith421
04-03-2007, 05:30 PM
When they first introduced them back at Redsfest I wasn't so big on them, but they've really grown on me.

There was some speculation on the Uniwatch Blog that the club had reduced the size of the numbers and the black drop-shadows on the names between the unveiling and Opening Day.

I suspect that had more to do with seeing the uniforms in broad sunlight rather than a convention hall, myself, but even as an initial fan of the new uniforms I was blown away by how good they looked in photos and video from the game. A classic design that hopefully will be in place for decades.

StillFunkyB
04-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Like the new uni's. Like them alot.

I was not a fan of pinstripes.

OnBaseMachine
04-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I love them. One of the top three in baseball along with the Dodgers and Yankees.

vaticanplum
04-03-2007, 07:05 PM
I love them. They looked beautiful in the sun. I don't mind at all that they're plain from a distance. The detail is intricate, and I don't like a lot of confetti on uniforms anyway.

I agree that their lack of business lends itself EXTREMELY well to high socks. And the Reds now have some players absolutely built to wear high socks. BOYS, TAKE NOTE.

Falls City Beer
04-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I don't like them. But to be fair, I don't really like the last decade of Reds' uniforms all that much. Or the uniforms of any major league team--way too much pajama look. I'd love to see the 70s fitted look return. It doesn't have to be retro or anything, but I'd rather the ballplayers not look as though they'd just picked up their trash cans from the curb on Thursday morning.

vaticanplum
04-03-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't like them. But to be fair, I don't really like the last decade of Reds' uniforms all that much. Or the uniforms of any major league team--way too much pajama look. I'd love to see the 70s fitted look return. It doesn't have to be retro or anything, but I'd rather the ballplayers not look as though they'd just picked up their trash cans from the curb on Thursday morning.

Oh well, I totally agree with that. I thought the baggy look would disappear with grunge, but on some teams it's only gotten worse.

They spend their lives molding their bodies into peak shape, and then swath them in yards of billowing cloth? This makes no sense to me. It's an athletic competition, not a toga party, guys.

Reds1
04-03-2007, 07:37 PM
I couldn't say they rock because I didn't find them sexy :)

IslandRed
04-03-2007, 07:53 PM

Eye of the beholder, I guess. "Pajamas" is a term I've often heard (and not as a compliment) for the pullover jersey/beltless pants look common in the 1970s.

Falls City Beer
04-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Eye of the beholder, I guess. "Pajamas" is a term I've often heard (and not as a compliment) for the pullover jersey/beltless pants look common in the 1970s.

I suppose. But the pajamas I've always seen grown men wear are of the saggy variety.

Droopy pants and athleticism have never seemed commensurate to me.

remdog
04-03-2007, 07:58 PM
OK....sorry to be blunt about this but if you like these unis then all of your taste reposes in your mouth. Give a third grader a stencil and a red crayon and this is what you get. Anyone describing these dudds as 'classic' is confusing the term with the correct word: generic.

As a Reds fan I like to think of my team as unique. I like them to stand out; if it can't be in the standings at least I like them to look outstanding when they take the field. Instead I've now got a team that has no immagination and no tie to 'Reds Tradition' (more on that later). As others mentioned, the Reds look like the Nats, the Angels, the DBacks.....and I haven't even seen all the teams yet. Yawn. BORING!

Castellini coined the phrase 'Power of Tradition' but I've got to tell ya', as someone that's followed the Reds since '56, it ain't in these unis! Honestly, these are the most disappointing, ugly unis that I can remember in 50+ years of watching the Reds. They are even uglier than the double knits of the '70's (but at least we had exciting ballplayers in those). The only uniform out there that these top are the ones that the Little Leaguers wear that are made up of pants and a t-shirt top that say 'Sam's Hardware'. (But it's close.)

The Reds teams I followed as a kid and grew up with wore distinctive uniforms. Vests, pinstripes, ice-cream cone hats! You knew that these were the CINCINNATI REDS! Now, they're just another bunch of schlubs out there in red and white. If you randomly tune into a game it could be the Reds....or the Angels, the DBacks, the Nats....it might take you awhile to figure it out.

I know a lot of you didn't like the the black trim of the last uniforms. I get that. But it would have been pretty easy to emphasise the red and still keep traditional things like the vests or pinstripes---add some variation and see what you can do with it. Red socks but with some blue rings, ice-cream cone hat, with or without the pinstripes, a vest with the sleeves of the t-shirt cut away a la Big Klu. There are so many things that could have been done but, instead, we got third grade stencils. :barf:

Other than that I'm OK with them. :evil:

Rem

pedro
04-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Rem, is there anything you do like besides fine cheeses and a good game of tennis?

TC81190
04-03-2007, 08:01 PM
OK....sorry to be blunt about this but if you like these unis then all of your taste reposes in your mouth. Give a third grader a stencil and a red crayon and this is what you get. Anyone describing these dudds as 'classic' is confusing the term with the correct word: generic.

As a Reds fan I like to think of my team as unique. I like them to stand out; if it can't be in the standings at least I like them to look outstanding when they take the field. Instead I've now got a team that has no immagination and no tie to 'Reds Tradition' (more on that later). As others mentioned, the Reds look like the Nats, the Angels, the DBacks.....and I haven't even seen all the teams yet. Yawn. BORING!

Castellini coined the phrase 'Power of Tradition' but I've got to tell ya', as someone that's followed the Reds since '56, it ain't in these unis! Honestly, these are the most disappointing, ugly unis that I can remember in 50+ years of watching the Reds. They are even uglier than the double knits of the '70's (but at least we had exciting ballplayers in those). The only uniform out there that these top are the ones that the Little Leaguers wear that are made up of pants and a t-shirt top that say 'Sam's Hardware'. (But it's close.)

The Reds teams I followed as a kid and grew up with wore distinctive uniforms. Vests, pinstripes, ice-cream cone hats! You knew that these were the CINCINNATI REDS! Now, they're just another bunch of schlubs out there in red and white. If you randomly tune into a game it could be the Reds....or the Angels, the DBacks, the Nats....it might take you awhile to figure it out.

I know a lot of you didn't like the the black trim of the last uniforms. I get that. But it would have been pretty easy to emphasise the red and still keep traditional things like the vests or pinstripes---add some variation and see what you can do with it. Red socks but with some blue rings, ice-cream cone hat, with or without the pinstripes, a vest with the sleeves of the t-shirt cut away a la Big Klu. There are so many things that could have been done but, instead, we got third grade stencils. :barf:

Rem

I can see where you get that. While I do love them, I think they do leave a little more to be desired. More something...more flare. They are a bit plain, but again, they do look classic in my book. Very 75-76ish.

TC81190
04-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Maybe they could adopt red shoes, like the A's white kicks. :evil:

remdog
04-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Ye gads! I just voted in the poll. I didn't want to vote before I offered my viewpoint. People! How in the world do most of you dress yourselves in the mornings! No wonder the French laugh at us! ;)

Rem

remdog
04-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Rem, is there anything you do like besides fine cheeses and a good game of tennis?

Sure. I like laughing at all 9135 absurd posts that you've made. I'm sure 9136 will be delightful. :)

Rem

wheels
04-03-2007, 08:09 PM
They're timeless. A look made to last.

remdog
04-03-2007, 08:10 PM

Maybe but I'd have to see if the Angels have already done that. ;)

Rem

remdog
04-03-2007, 08:13 PM
They're timeless. A look made to last.

Garbage is timeless too but I wouldn't want to wear it.

Rem

OnBaseMachine
04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Ye gads! I just voted in the poll. I didn't want to vote before I offered my viewpoint. People! How in the world do most of you dress yourselves in the mornings! No wonder the French laugh at us! ;)

Rem

Considering over 100 people like them compared to only 4 who dislike them, maybe it's you who has bad taste and dresses funny?

remdog
04-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Considering over 100 people like them compared to only 4 who dislike them, maybe it's you who has bad taste and dresses funny?

As they say, there's nothing worse than the taste of the masses. :)

You did see that little smily/winky thing in the post you're referring to, right? ;)

Rem

vaticanplum
04-03-2007, 08:38 PM

Rem

Rem, I am sorry to tell you (by which I mean very happy to gloatingly inform you) that whether you admit it or not, there is a fashion plate in you screaming to get out and shake his tailfeathers.

remdog
04-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Rem, I am sorry to tell you (by which I mean very happy to gloatingly inform you) that whether you admit it or not, there is a fashion plate in you screaming to get out and shake his tailfeathers.

Listen sweeheart (and I don't mean that condescendingly but 25+ years around the fashion industry and you talk like that) but, at my age, all of the tailfeathers have been shaken and the only thing I'm screaming for is Zantac! :laugh:

Rem

pedro
04-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Sure. I like laughing at all 9135 absurd posts that you've made. I'm sure 9136 will be delightful. :)

Rem

As long as you're happy. :)

pedro
04-03-2007, 10:23 PM
FTR, I voted "they're OK."

Always Red
04-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Is it just me, or has been like two weeks since Opening Day?

FTR, I think the Nats, Angels, and D-Backs all copied that classic Reds looks from the late 60's. The Reds are just back to what they've always done.

I really despised the "Good Humor Man" look...

vp is right; these uni's are begging for some classic Red stirrups, with only a very slight amount of sanitary hose showing underneath.

:beerme:

Always Red
04-03-2007, 11:38 PM
There was some speculation on the Uniwatch Blog that the club had reduced the size of the numbers and the black drop-shadows on the names between the unveiling and Opening Day.

I suspect that had more to do with seeing the uniforms in broad sunlight rather than a convention hall, myself, but even as an initial fan of the new uniforms I was blown away by how good they looked in photos and video from the game. A classic design that hopefully will be in place for decades.

If you look closely (save the pics and blow them up to tell), they appear to have gotten rid of the black drop shadows on the names, and kept them, but not as pronounced, for the numbers.

Good decision!

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/31/fullj.getty-73394602tw009_reds_cubs_jpg_5_38_36_pm.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8528/redhomebacktj3vi3.jpg

pahster
04-03-2007, 11:45 PM

I actually like the white shoes. But I really like the A's uniforms. Probably because green is my favorite color...

M2
04-04-2007, 12:04 AM
FTR, I think the Nats, Angels, and D-Backs all copied that classic Reds looks from the late 60's. The Reds are just back to what they've always done.

That was my thought too. I've always loved those uniforms and I'm glad to see the team getting back to that clean, sleek design. I could without the sloppy long cuffs on the pants (somebody's going to trip on those things), but overall this is a forklift upgrade.

paintmered
04-04-2007, 12:18 AM
I liked the old uniforms but it was time for a change. Overall, I like the new ones. I don't think they are too plain, it's that we got used to seeing really busy uniforms.

Always Red, that was a great catch!

Cyclone792
04-04-2007, 12:31 AM
While I was one of the few that didn't mind the black (and I still don't mind the black, what little remains), I wasn't really a big fan of the vest uniforms.

I'm a fan of the new uniforms though, and I'm not sure there is anything that I don't like. I like the sleeves, I like the design, I like the sleeve patches, and I like the font for the lettering and numbers. As wheels stated, they're timeless and possess a look made to last, and hopefully it does last.

Jpup
04-04-2007, 01:26 AM
I think they may be the best uniforms ever, but I really don't think they are "sexy". That's over the line. :)

They finally look like the Reds should. I could do without the new airflow helmets though. I plan to pick one of the new jerseys up on Saturday.

StillFunkyB
04-04-2007, 06:21 AM
I love them. They looked beautiful in the sun. I don't mind at all that they're plain from a distance. The detail is intricate, and I don't like a lot of confetti on uniforms anyway.

I agree that their lack of business lends itself EXTREMELY well to high socks. And the Reds now have some players absolutely built to wear high socks. BOYS, TAKE NOTE.

Yes, high socks please. I like the high socks.

Ron Madden
04-04-2007, 06:43 AM
I wish the Reds would stick with these uniforms for the next 100 years. They look classy, and that's what the old-time teams do...stick with the same unis.

I like 'em too.

I've always liked the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox and Tigers uniforms they never change a whole lot.

RedsFan75
04-04-2007, 09:17 AM
This is the Uniform I remember first watching the Reds don, prior to the double knit's in '72
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1969_cincinnati.gif

And if you look at the double knits, the design was only slightly modified visually until the '93 stripes, so to me, this is closer to the Classic Reds look, and I voted they ROCK simply because I so despised the black. :)

RANDY IN INDY
04-04-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm pretty pleased with the look. As most of you know, I am a big fan of the '68 - '71 home uniforms. They were the best, in my opinion. One thing that helped set them apart was the belt loops on the pants, similar to what the Tigers wear at home, now. Just a classic look.

I also was a big fan of the vests that they wore on the road from '61 - '66. It was very similar to the look that they wore the past few years. I was dissapointed that they never wore the road uniforms of the past few years with red sleeves underneath. I was hoping that the Reds might keep some version of the vests in the new uniforms, be it the road jerseys or the alternate. I think it would have been a good "nod to tradition" to do that, and still think they might include it at some point down the road. I am not a big fan of the red alternate jerseys and have hopes that a version of the vest might replace that in the future.

Overall, I'm happy with all the "Red" in the uniforms. Didn't know if I would like the piping, but it looks pretty good. Like the piping on the pants. Glad they reduced the # size on the backs of the uniforms. The new lettering font looks pretty nice. The all red caps look great. There was way too much black in the old set. It will be interesting to see how the road uniforms look on the field, and, if they wear helmets with the black bill on the road. I'm not a big fan of the new helmets with the vents in the top and back, but it isn't very noticeable since they are not "two tone" like the Mets. Those are really ugly. Overall, a 9 out of 10 for the home uniforms.

Johnny Footstool
04-04-2007, 10:27 AM
IMO the look is unoriginal and nondescript. In a way, I guess you could call it "classic" in that all baseball uniforms used to be just as unoriginal and nondescript as these.

westofyou
04-04-2007, 10:49 AM
IMO the look is unoriginal and nondescript. In a way, I guess you could call it "classic" in that all baseball uniforms used to be just as unoriginal and nondescript as these.

The Reds have been hardly "Original" before and some folks loved that look, or learned to hate it (1995-98 Uggh)

1956 They follow the Cubs and go sleeveless

1965 In an attempt to be truly original the 1965 Team placed the players name under their numbers, the only MLB team ever. They switched it back the next year.

1999 The Reds add black to their colors, only 9 years after the White Sox started the trend.

If the Reds want to be original in their look then they should all pull their pants up to their knees.

RedsFan75
04-04-2007, 11:08 AM
If the Reds want to be original in their look then they should all pull their pants up to their knees.

Don't know if even that would be original, Don't I remember the White Sox having a Uniform with shorts once?

Oh Yeah... Here it is
http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/EmbarassingMoments.htm
August 8, 1976 and the Chicago White Sox
are wearing shorts for the first game of a doubleheader
against the Kansas City Royals
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/pictures/timeline_1976.jpg

Johnny Footstool
04-04-2007, 11:16 AM
The Reds have been hardly "Original" before and some folks loved that look, or learned to hate it (1995-98 Uggh)

1956 They follow the Cubs and go sleeveless

1965 In an attempt to be truly original the 1965 Team placed the players name under their numbers, the only MLB team ever. They switched it back the next year.

1999 The Reds add black to their colors, only 9 years after the White Sox started the trend.

We could deconstruct it to the point where any team wearing a jersey and pants is derivative and unoriginal, because someone else wore a jersey and pants before them. Hooray for the shorts-wearing 1976 White Sox.

Or we could acknowledge the originality of the combination of a sleeveless jersey, black trim, and red pinstripes into a look that was instantly recognizable as the Cincinnati Reds.

westofyou
04-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Don't know if even that would be original, Don't I remember the White Sox having a Uniform with shorts once?

Oh Yeah... Here it is

Yep and that was a 25 year old idea then as well.

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/stars_shorts1.jpg

westofyou
04-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Or we could acknowledge the originality of the combination of a sleeveless jersey, black trim, and red pinstripes into a look that is instantly recognizable as the Cincinnati Reds.

Only, that look was not recognizable to enough people to merit keeping it.

At least that's what the puppet masters say on the issue.

Yachtzee
04-04-2007, 11:21 AM

I guess some folks would call a black tux with black tie unoriginal and nondescript, choosing to go with the powder blue tux instead. Not saying that you personally would choose that, but years from now, I suspect the black tux with black tie will still look good. The powder blue tux? Not so much.

macro
04-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Some have expressed their desire for stirrups to return, and I couldn't agree more. Is there any doubt that the addition of the red to the bottoms of these makes all the difference in the world?

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1968/0527_large.jpg

Johnny Footstool
04-04-2007, 11:29 AM
I guess some folks would call a black tux with black tie unoriginal and nondescript, choosing to go with the powder blue tux instead. Not saying that you personally would choose that, but years from now, I suspect the black tux with black tie will still look good. The powder blue tux? Not so much.

The point of baseball uniforms is to be somewhat distinct from the competition.

I guess we could go back to the "classic" look of plain white unis for the home team and plain gray unis for the visitors. But that would be boring, wouldn't it?

smith288
04-04-2007, 11:30 AM
If you look closely (save the pics and blow them up to tell), they appear to have gotten rid of the black drop shadows on the names, and kept them, but not as pronounced, for the numbers.

Good decision!

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/31/fullj.getty-73394602tw009_reds_cubs_jpg_5_38_36_pm.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8528/redhomebacktj3vi3.jpg
Looks like the black is still on the names just way less showing. The offset in the revealing was much more pronounced than the offset is now. For the better i must admit

RANDY IN INDY
04-04-2007, 12:59 PM
The point of baseball uniforms is to be somewhat distinct from the competition.

I guess we could go back to the "classic" look of plain white unis for the home team and plain gray unis for the visitors. But that would be boring, wouldn't it?

Nope, but I'm probably in the minority.

bucksfan
04-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Like 'em a lot.

WVPacman
04-05-2007, 12:26 AM
I like them alot b/c there no black in them!! What do the away jerseys look like??

RedsBaron
04-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Yep and that was a 25 year old idea then as well.

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/stars_shorts1.jpg

We definitely do not need for those uniforms to make a comeback.

RedsBaron
04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Nope, but I'm probably in the minority.

I'm with you on this issue. I like the new duds.

Yachtzee
04-05-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm with you on this issue. I like the new duds.

Me three.

macro
04-06-2007, 11:58 PM
It will be interesting to see how the road uniforms look on the field, and, if they wear helmets with the black bill on the road.

The road uniforms will look outstanding, except for the black bill on the caps, and I'm sure they'll wear helmets to match.

Randy, do you like the jackets? They look good, but I'm really disappointed that they're not red with black accents rather than the other way around. With the new emphasis on red, why did they go with black jackets again? I also noticed that the winter caps they were wearing in the dugout tonight were black, as well.

redsrule2500
04-07-2007, 12:10 AM
Wrong words to describe them, but I like them.

I'm more of a traditionalist I guess...but it looks more 'baseball'

RANDY IN INDY
04-07-2007, 08:38 AM
The road uniforms will look outstanding, except for the black bill on the caps, and I'm sure they'll wear helmets to match.

Randy, do you like the jackets? They look good, but I'm really disappointed that they're not red with black accents rather than the other way around. With the new emphasis on red, why did they go with black jackets again? I also noticed that the winter caps they were wearing in the dugout tonight were black, as well.

Yeah, macro, I wish they would scrap the red caps with the black bills. The reds have never worn two different batting helmets so it will be interesting to see if they put out the cash to have a second set with black bills. Personally, I hope they don't.

I don't like the jackets. Primary color needs to be red. They look to be the same exact jackets from last season and I'm a little puzzled by that. I haven't looked closely, but the "tell-tale" would be, "Is the Running Man patch still on the sleeve of the jacket?" "Have they added the Old Red patch or did they just remove the Running Man patch?" Should be able to tell today as plenty of players should have on their jackets, with the exception of Bronson Arroyo, of course.;) For the last few years, the jackets have changed styles with the arrival of a new season. Not like MLB to pass up on an opportunity to get in people's pockets to sell a new item.

Redsland
04-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I haven't looked closely, but the "tell-tale" would be, "Is the Running Man patch still on the sleeve of the jacket?" "Have they added the Old Red patch or did they just remove the Running Man patch?"
Last night, Narron's jacket had Mr. Moustache on it. (It's down around the left forearm.)

Other than that, it looks to be the old jacket.

Falls City Beer
04-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Some have expressed their desire for stirrups to return, and I couldn't agree more. Is there any doubt that the addition of the red to the bottoms of these makes all the difference in the world?

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1968/0527_large.jpg

That uniform is perfect. That's classic-looking to me. Fitted, simple, goodly amounts of Red. Unmistakably the Reds.

RANDY IN INDY
04-07-2007, 08:04 PM
'68-'71 uniforms were simply the best. Love the belt loops.

KittyDuran
04-07-2007, 10:05 PM
That uniform is perfect. That's classic-looking to me. Fitted, simple, goodly amounts of Red. Unmistakably the Reds.The key word is "fitted". The new unis would look some much better if they were more fitted and sanitary socks/stirrips were shown.

RANDY IN INDY
04-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Absolutely! My son will not take the field without his stirrups.

RANDY IN INDY
04-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Today is the day that the Reds should roll out the new red jerseys. As much as I don't like the colored tops, I bet they look better than those of last season.

remdog
04-08-2007, 11:23 PM
The red jersys look better than the regular tops because they are more colorful but that's about all.

The more of the new unis I see the more pathetic they look to me.

The best looking uniforms on the field this weekend belonged to the Pirates---by a long shot.

Rem

pedro
04-09-2007, 01:05 AM
I don't like the way the piping looks on the red jerseys.

RANDY IN INDY
04-09-2007, 08:52 AM
They are 0-1. Leave 'em in the lockers.;)

macro
04-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Well, now that we've seen the road unis, what do you guys think? I am thrilled by what I am seeing, and amazed at how much-improved both the Reds and Dbacks are. As I expected, the only flaw in the Reds' is the black bill on the cap - it sticks out like a sore thumb. But other than that, they are perfect.

Randy, you were right about the helmets. Given that they had worn black helmets on the road for the past few years, I assumed they would have a road set with the black bill this year. I'm kinda glad they didn't, because at least we get the solid red while the team is batting.

I'll say the same about these that I did about the home set: this is the best uniform the team has worn since 1971. In fact, put a solid red cap with these, and they could be the best of all time.

I also noticed Narron and a coach wearing the short-sleeved dugout pullovers, and they were red with black stripes, the opposite of the jackets they wore in Cincinnati. They look much better.

RFS62
04-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Boy, I agree about the black bill.

It must go.

The road uni's with a red hat are awesome.

Big Klu
04-09-2007, 10:54 PM

It must go.

Exactly what I was thinking. Do you think that the players might suggest going with the red cap full-time?

RFS62
04-09-2007, 11:05 PM
My brother, who doesn't know a baseball from a watermellon, just walked in and said "what the hell have the Reds done with their hats?"

RedsFan75
04-10-2007, 08:08 AM

It must go.

Exactly what I was thinking. Do you think that the players might suggest going with the red cap full-time?

Agreed 1000000% That black bill just looked so out of place. Could the players rise up and do that or would it have to go through MLB?

remdog
04-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Now that I've seen the road uniforms the words boring, dull, generic, cookie-cutter, unimanginative and ugly come to mind. Other than that....:evil:

By the way, the D-backs unis are terrible also.

Rem

PS: Who came up with that font? That's just flat out puggly!

RANDY IN INDY
04-10-2007, 08:58 AM
I agree with those who think the cap sticks out like a sore thumb. Really needs to go. The only other thing that I didn't particularly like is the piping on the sleeves and pants. I think it would look much better with just a single line of red piping instead of the thin red/white/red piping. I thought the combination gave it a "pink" look. Yeah, that's picky, I know. Other than that, best road uniform since the '68-'71's.

RANDY IN INDY
04-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Rem, you really liked the "vest" look didn't you? I hope they eliminate the red alternates at some point and bring back a version of the vests to be used as an alternate.

Always Red
04-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Rem, you really liked the "vest" look didn't you? I hope they eliminate the red alternates at some point and bring back a version of the vests to be used as an alternate.

that's a great idea!