PDA

View Full Version : Fifth Starter

Kc61
04-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Didn't see the game, but thought it was interesting that Saarloos pitched the 8th. Narron may see him as a swing guy working primarily out of the pen. That leads me to believe that we may see Livingston or Milton back to pitch Sunday, when a fifth starter is needed.

Anyone have any info on this?

All this shows that the opening day roster doesn't mean too much. Very much subject to change as things move along, even in the first week possibly.

PuffyPig
04-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Saarloos might still be the 5th starter, just getting some work in since his 1st start wouldn't be in 6 days.

Heath
04-03-2007, 10:31 AM
There's always Victor Santos.........

coachw513
04-03-2007, 10:35 AM
There's always Victor Santos.........

The articles in today's papers seem to indicate Santos is the long-man and that Saarloos is going to be one of the primary set-up men...I can't place where I read that, but that was the impression I got...he certainly looked good yesterday...

If Milton is "healthy" he'll start as the #5...otherwise it will be Bobby Livingston, as they'll use a lefty in that spot (once again, per something I read)...

Not doing a very good job of tracking down quotes, but trust me on this :D

BRM
04-03-2007, 10:48 AM
From today's Enquirer:

WORKING BACK: Eric Milton (lower back spasms) long-tossed Monday morning and will be eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list Saturday.

The Reds should know more about the left-hander's health after he throws a simulated game Wednesday.

Milton went on the DL on Sunday because of lower back spasms. The earliest the Reds need a fifth starter is Sunday.

Red Leader
04-03-2007, 10:56 AM
IMO, the Reds should hold Milton out until at least the end of April. Have him throw simulated games or whatever, but don't put him back in a real game that counts until early May, at the earliest. Let him truly prove that he is healthy and can stay that way for more than 6 innings.

BRM
04-03-2007, 11:02 AM
IMO, the Reds should hold Milton out until at least the end of April. Have him throw simulated games or whatever, but don't put him back in a real game that counts until early May, at the earliest. Let him truly prove that he is healthy and can stay that way for more than 6 innings.

In other words, stash him on the DL for as long as possible. :)

TOBTTReds
04-03-2007, 11:07 AM

Exactly!

Saarloos looked great yesterday. I love his ridiculous movement on his pitches.

Red Leader
04-03-2007, 11:24 AM

Kind of.

I just don't think the only thing wrong with Eric Milton is his back. Granted, I don't feel that Milton's back will be truly recovered in 10 days, so I feel they'd be rushing him if they brought him back Sunday, but I don't know the extent of his injury, obviously.

I think the bigger problem is his knee. Give him a couple weeks to strengthen it with exercise and rest while he's getting over his back problems. It may never heal or get better, but it certainly isn't helped by rushing him back early.

I don't know. Maybe the Reds want him to come back early, and pitch poorly 3 consecutive turns in the rotation so they can DFA him. If they truly want him to be a member of the team all year, though, they'd hold him out as long as it took to get him fully healthy, though.

Sea Ray
04-03-2007, 11:26 AM

I'd add a rehab stint in Louisville. Let's see him get someone out in addition to proving he's healthy.

Red Leader
04-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I'd add a rehab stint in Louisville. Let's see him get someone out in addition to proving he's healthy.

Can't disagree with that. Obviously, I think he should be tested before you hand him the ball for a game that counts in the standings.

deltachi8
04-03-2007, 11:54 AM
I will be very suprised if Milon does not start Sunday.

Redsland
04-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Not me. Narron is already planting the seed that Santos could get that start if Milton "can't go."

Sea Ray
04-03-2007, 12:15 PM
I will be very suprised if Milon does not start Sunday.

I disagree. Unless an injury happens I don't think they want to make a roster move by Sunday. For that reason, I think the easiest roster move is to leave him on the DL. If another pitcher comes down with a cranky body part then I think we'll see a miraculous recovery from Milton.

PuffyPig
04-03-2007, 12:32 PM
I doubt that the Reds would be having Milton pitch a simulated game on Wednesday, and then having him pitch a real game on 3 days rest.

Santos hasn't pitch more than 2 iinings in a game all spring, so it would be hard for him to go more than 4. Saarloos is at least more stetched out, but he was the first guy used last night in the 8th, so it seems that Narron likes him in the bullpen at this stage.

If they bring Livingston up, who will go?

That leaves no one to pitch Sunday.

MartyFan
04-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Harang will pitch. :)

BRM
04-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Harang will pitch. :)

That would be back to back days for him. Impressive.

MartyFan
04-03-2007, 12:38 PM
That would be back to back days for him. Impressive.

well, you know it is either him or Jack Bauer.

BRM
04-03-2007, 12:40 PM
well, you know it is either him or Jack Bauer.

Bauer has a mean hook.