PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Sanders....

TeamSelig
04-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Kansas City basically has one good reliever (Riske) and a good pitcher off surgery who has potential to return to his former self (Dotel).... other than that, they are empty in the BP. Joel Peralta did pretty good, and has done decent in the past so you could argue that he needs to be mentioned.

Also, Joey Gathright was optioned to Triple A because they couldn't find anyone to take on Sanders. Sanders is platooning with Emil Brown (who is unhappy about it).

Lets send them Mike Stanton or Rheal Cormier, and prospect who is nothing special (can't really think of any names right now, but nothing major)

Wonder if they would bite on it? We could use another OFer, and Sanders seems to put up good numbers every year, although you can't count on him for many games. If Griffey/Freel was to get hurt we would desperately need another OF.

DTCromer
04-03-2007, 03:54 PM
The only way the Royals would trade for Cormier/Stanton would be if they were in a playoff race. Seeing as that they will be no where near that, there's no way a deal like that would be made.

rotnoid
04-03-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't even think it would take that much if we ate most of the contract.

TeamSelig
04-03-2007, 03:58 PM
They would save money by doing the deal, and add some sort of living & breathing being (debatable) in Cormier/Stanton for Sanders.

It would be trading an excess for something you lack. I think at this point the Royals just want to win more games so they aren't a complete laughing stock. Explains the trades for LaRue & Perez, signing of Gruz, Sanders, Meche, and Dotel.

I think trading Stanton/Cormier actually helps us out.

rotnoid
04-03-2007, 04:01 PM
They would save money by doing the deal, and add some sort of living & breathing being (debatable) in Cormier/Stanton for Sanders.

It would be trading an excess for something you lack. I think at this point the Royals just want to win more games so they aren't a complete laughing stock. Explains the trades for LaRue & Perez, signing of Gruz, Sanders, Meche, and Dotel.

I think trading Stanton/Cormier actually helps us out.

Teams like that usually blow their load in the offseason. If they do that deal, it's not now, it's a salary dump closer to the deadline. Realistically, how many wins do Cormier or Stanton add to the Royals. If they're to be traded it will be to a contender/semi-contender.

Tom Servo
04-03-2007, 04:02 PM
I doubt KC wants our old junk, but they would definatly be willing to part with Sanders or Brown if we paid most if not all of their salary.

TeamSelig
04-03-2007, 04:02 PM
We could always throw an OK prospect at them, I was just looking for a way to get rid of Stanton too.

geniusMoment
04-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Honestly, I rather give Hamilton the chance to start. If he struggles then I make a deal. I don't want Reggie as my 4th outfielder over Hamilton, and there's no way he'd be happy as the fifth outfielder.

TC81190
04-03-2007, 04:58 PM
I'd give them Cormier and and a ML reliever for him.

Highlifeman21
04-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Why on earth do we want Reggie Sanders back?

TC81190
04-03-2007, 05:18 PM

Lack of Denorfia, offense in general.

TeamSelig
04-03-2007, 05:48 PM
basically what I was thinking... right now we have 3 starting OFers, and a potential starter (Hamilton)

of our 3 starting OFers, one has proved to be durable

rotnoid
04-03-2007, 08:19 PM
basically what I was thinking... right now we have 3 starting OFers, and a potential starter (Hamilton)

of our 3 starting OFers, one has proved to be durable

It's a good start. Reggie Sanders just isn't the right piece. He's going to go be a veteran presence on a team that's missing a piece or two here or there. He'll be a RH bat off the bench, not a 3-4 day a week starter by the end of the year. I don't think it's a move the Reds make now or at the break, there's little benefit assuming the injured come back sooner rather than later.

TC81190
04-03-2007, 08:23 PM
It's a good start. Reggie Sanders just isn't the right piece. He's going to go be a veteran presence on a team that's missing a piece or two here or there. He'll be a RH bat off the bench, not a 3-4 day a week starter by the end of the year. I don't think it's a move the Reds make now or at the break, there's little benefit assuming the injured come back sooner rather than later.

Griffey always has the potential to miss months with various injuries, and Freel also has many a nagging ache or pain. Believe me, he could very possibly be starting 3-4 times a week, which, with our OF depth a tad on the low side as of now, wouldn't be our worst option (remember, Wayne tried to get Jason Ellison :eek: ).

rotnoid
04-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Griffey always has the potential to miss months with various injuries, and Freel also has many a nagging ache or pain. Believe me, he could very possibly be starting 3-4 times a week, which, with our OF depth a tad on the low side as of now, wouldn't be our worst option (remember, Wayne tried to get Jason Ellison :eek: ).

That's what I mean. I don't see Sanders filling that role on any team this year. It's just my opinion, but I see him as a bit player by mid summer on a contender somewhere. That's why I don't think he's a good fit for the Reds. They need someone a little younger (more durable).

Jr's Boy
04-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Plus Sanders brings you good playoff luck,look at how many playoff and championship teams he's been on.Good Karma.:D

round tripper
04-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Plus Sanders brings you good playoff luck,look at how many playoff and championship teams he's been on.Good Karma.:D

Thats is true it's just he was horrible here he had like what 2 good seasons here.

redsmetz
04-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Thats is true it's just he was horrible here he had like what 2 good seasons here.

With the exception of a very dismal 1995 playoff series against Atlanta, Reggie Sanders had just over seven seasons with the Reds. One season was fairly spetacular (28 HR's, .306 BA, 99 RBI), he did not have only two good seasons here. He was a solid consistent performer while he was here, IMO.

Sheesh.

Mario-Rijo
04-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Actually if it were not for the fact that we would require someone who actually would mostly come off the bench (I'm sure Reggie sees himself as at least a part time player + PH supreme) and then be a solid starter if/when Jr goes down, I could seriously see that deal working.

Check this out:

Wednesday, March 28

WHO
Reggie Sanders

INTERESTED
Orioles

THE SKINNY

O's mulling Sanders deal
Mar 28 - The Orioles are considering a deal for veteran outfielder Reggie Sanders, The Washington Post reports.
The Royals reportedly have offered to pay a chunk of Sanders' $5 million salary. The Orioles, however, may not be able to guarantee Sanders regular playing time when Jay Payton is ready to play.

In return for Sanders, the Royals have asked for pitchers Kurt Birkins or Brian Burres, the newspaper reports.

Birkins and Burres are both young LHP's. So how about Cormier(I know not young, but LH) and the Royals pay the difference in Salaries? Or toss them Shackelford and say p/u a million in salary or let them off the hook for the PTBNL in the LaRue deal. And since Deno is out for the year Hopper can come up to back up if Sanders/Freel/Jr get hurt, of course once Hopper gets healthy.

OldRightHander
04-04-2007, 12:11 AM

Just in case we make the post season and face the Braves in the LCS again.

RBA
04-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Didn't the Reds have a former Reds star in 1990 only to be released and signed with Seattle to play with his son late in the season?

sonny
04-04-2007, 03:55 AM
Didn't the Reds have a former Reds star in 1990 only to be released and signed with Seattle to play with his son late in the season?

Mike Buhner?:laugh:

Jpup
04-04-2007, 05:20 AM
How about the Reds get Joel Peralta from KC instead? That guy was lights out against the Red Sox. He mad Ortiz look foolish. That guy could be a good closer.

Now I will go look at his numbers, but he really impressed me.

EDIT: He has been pretty decent the last two years since being in the bigs. Go get him Wayne.