PDA

View Full Version : #30, I mean #3, to wear #42

Redsland
04-04-2007, 05:54 PM
From Fay (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/default.asp):

Cool Robinson tribute by Griffey

Ken Griffey Jr. will wear No. 42 in honor of Jackie Robinson Sunday, April 15.

It was Griffey's idea. He called commissioner Bud Selig and got permission. All teams retired 42 in 1997, the 50th anniversary of Robinson's debut.

"I thought it would a good idea to where it on the 60th," Griffey said. "I called Bud. We talked a few minutes. He said he's get back to me. He wanted to make sure it was OK with everyone."

Every team will have someone wear 42 April 15.

Cyclone792
04-04-2007, 05:59 PM
"I thought it would a good idea to where it on the 60th," Griffey said. "I called Bud. We talked a few minutes. He said he's get back to me. He wanted to make sure it was OK with everyone."

Has there ever been a John Fay article or blog posting that did not contain any spelling or grammatical errors? I read exactly two of his articles during the offseason, and in both of them he spelled Wayne Krivsky's name wrong. Seriously, how in the world did John Fay land a job as a beat writer for a major league team?

If I was in charge of editing Fay's articles, I'd request to have my salary doubled for all the overtime that'd be necessary.

Now that the rant is over, this is a nice tribute for Robinson by Griffey and MLB.

Puffy
04-04-2007, 06:03 PM
That Griffey is so selfish.

Mario-Rijo
04-04-2007, 06:11 PM
It looks like Jr may have established a nice little tradition here. Every year on his anniversary of breaking the color barrier, one person on every team will get the privilege of wearing #42! Hopefully it sticks.

And much respect goes out to the real #42 for having the courage that most men only wish they had.

:thumbup:

Highlifeman21
04-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Is Mo Rivera still the only player in MLB currently wearing #42 due to the grandfather clause in that rule that anyone wearing #42 before the retirement by all teams could continue to wear #42?

Razor Shines
04-04-2007, 08:07 PM
That Griffey is so selfish.

I've had it with him.

TC81190
04-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Is Mo Rivera still the only player in MLB currently wearing #42 due to the grandfather clause in that rule that anyone wearing #42 before the retirement by all teams could continue to wear #42?

Think so. And when I saw him on TV, it surpirsed, I forgot about his non-change.

They should make a Griffey 42 jersey in honor of. I'd wear it.

UKFlounder
04-04-2007, 08:41 PM
We hear about how the NFL is far ahead of baseball, but a few years ago when Peyton Manning wanted to wear high-tops as a tribute to Johnny Unitas, they were much too anal to let something that radical on the football field, yet here is baseball taking a much more common-sense approach (Common sense? Is Selig still commish? Yikes!)

Puffy
04-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Selig? Common sense?

Bite yer tongue

harangatang
04-04-2007, 08:51 PM
We hear about how the NFL is far ahead of baseball, but a few years ago when Peyton Manning wanted to wear high-tops as a tribute to Johnny Unitas, they were much too anal to let something that radical on the football field, yet here is baseball taking a much more common-sense approach (Common sense? Is Selig still commish? Yikes!)That had more to do with the Colts leaving Baltimore than anything. I believe Unitas was very critical of the Indianapolis Colts anyway.

Danny Serafini
04-04-2007, 09:07 PM
That just ruined the trivia question "Who was the last Red to wear #42?" Wasn't it Mike Jackson?

vaticanplum
04-04-2007, 09:11 PM

Yes. He has been for quite a few years now.

redsrule2500
04-05-2007, 02:44 AM
kinda lame

Razor Shines
04-05-2007, 03:14 AM
kinda lame

I really don't think that honoring Jackie Robinson is lame.

I don't know why you hate Jr. so much. There's got to be some word that describes someone who goes around bashing Jr. any chance he gets, even when it really makes no sense (like bashing him for wanting to honor Robinson). I just can't think of what that word would be.........

redsrule2500
04-05-2007, 03:53 AM
I really don't think that honoring Jackie Robinson is lame.

I don't know why you hate Jr. so much. There's got to be some word that describes someone who goes around bashing Jr. any chance he gets, even when it really makes no sense (like bashing him for wanting to honor Robinson). I just can't think of what that word would be.........

I don't hate Junior. I just think that honoring Jackie Robinson in this way is really stupid. It reminds me of last year Jackie Robinson Day, Sportscenter's #1 top play was Jackie Robinson accepting an award. :rolleyes:

smith288
04-05-2007, 11:05 AM
I love how MLB trumpets the awesomeness of Jackie Robinson yet we are in a day and age where blacks basically turn their nose to baseball in favor for football and basketball.

So after blacks were allowed to play MLB, they just pretty much refuse to now. A shame for Jackie Robinson who worked so hard and was treated so rotten.

paintmered
04-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I don't hate Junior. I just think that honoring Jackie Robinson in this way is really stupid. It reminds me of last year Jackie Robinson Day, Sportscenter's #1 top play was Jackie Robinson accepting an award. :rolleyes:

Then your beef should be with ESPN, not MLB or Junior.

Chip R
04-05-2007, 11:30 AM
I love how MLB trumpets the awesomeness of Jackie Robinson yet we are in a day and age where blacks basically turn their nose to baseball in favor for football and basketball.

So after blacks were allowed to play MLB, they just pretty much refuse to now. A shame for Jackie Robinson who worked so hard and was treated so rotten.

But it's an individual choice. MLB can't draft these guys like it was the Army and force them to play baseball. I haven't seen the NBA have a Chuck Cooper Day or the NFL have a Fritz Pollard Day, much less retire their numbers. MLB has a lot of faults but they are doing a very good job of trying to get young black kids to play the game.

smith288
04-05-2007, 11:36 AM
But it's an individual choice. MLB can't draft these guys like it was the Army and force them to play baseball. I haven't seen the NBA have a Chuck Cooper Day or the NFL have a Fritz Pollard Day, much less retire their numbers. MLB has a lot of faults but they are doing a very good job of trying to get young black kids to play the game.
Im not faulting the MLB. Im faulting the young black people who have had a trail blazed for them and they are ignoring it in favor of other options that have less opportunity.

Chip R
04-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Im not faulting the MLB. Im faulting the young black people who have had a trail blazed for them and they are ignoring it in favor of other options that have less opportunity.

I apologize if I misunderstood your post. However, again, it's an individual choice. 30 years ago a black kid with a great arm and who could run well couldn't play QB. So he either went into hoops or baseball. Now we have QBs like Vince Young and Michael Vick plus hundreds of black kids who are QBs in college. Also, there are young black kids who choose not to pursue athletics and go into other fields that previously weren't open to them. There are also those that turn to crime because they feel that is the only avenue where they can make a living.

macro
04-05-2007, 01:00 PM
#30, I mean #3, to wear #42

How about "#24, I mean #30, I mean #3, to wear #42"?

Seriously, though, this has gotten me to thinking...

How many players in Major League history have worn four different uniform numbers in their playing career? If that number is high, then I'll rephrase the question: How many Hall of Famers have worn four different uniform numbers in their playing career?

shredda2000
04-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Kudos to Junior for taking the initiative on this one!!! :thumbup:

dsmith421
04-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Kudos to Junior for taking the initiative on this one!!!

He's done it before with the Mariners. Did Griffey always rock the high socks in Seattle or was that a tribute to Robinson as well?

http://www.cincypost.com/sports/images/griffey42.jpg