PDA

View Full Version : OK, What Happened to these guys?

mth123
04-04-2007, 09:46 PM
With Sarasota posting its roster, we now know who each team will have on the mound. We have also heard a few reports of guys in extended spring training. BA reported several guys released, but there are a number of guys we haven't heard about.

What happened to these guys?

Dushan Ruzic
Matt Clark
A. Gressick
Adam Pointer
D. Guerrero
Nick Wandless
Wirfrin Obispo
Jeremy Burchett
David Wilson
Daniel Rincon
Kevin Gunter
Jarred Leach
Justin Newman
Andrew Good
Brandon Rice
Nick Moran
R. Medina
Daniel Donaldson
Phil Valiquette
Fr. Mateo
B. Camardese

dougdirt
04-04-2007, 09:51 PM
I know Brandon Rice was in spring training, so I assume he is in extended spring training. Obispo, I am almost certain is in the DR.

tbball10
04-05-2007, 10:22 AM
i didnt see valiquette when i was in sarasota, and i saw most of the minor leaguers, so i assume he is gone.

JaxRed
04-05-2007, 10:29 AM
I read where extended spring training was going to be about 50 guys this year so unless you see where someone got released, he's probably there...

TOBTTReds
04-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Why don't we just have another Rookie league team? What are the rules on this?

JaxRed
04-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Rookie leagues don't start till June. But these guys play games against other team's extended squads.

TC81190
04-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Why isn't Obisopo here yet?

dougdirt
04-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Why isn't Obisopo here yet?

Fake Marriage scandal that he used to try an obtain a VISA. The US does not take kindly to people trying to fake their way into the country.

camisadelgolf
08-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Dushan Ruzic - released
Matt Clark - released
A. Gressick - converted to outfielder
Adam Pointer - released
D. Guerrero - has been a piņata in A-ball
Nick Wandless - released
Wirfrin Obispo - possibly playing in Japan?
Jeremy Burchett - retired despite performing well; said he didn't like what the Reds had planned for him
David Wilson - released
Daniel Rincon - released
Kevin Gunter - released by the Reds; signed by the Marlins and is doing poorly in A-ball
Jarred Leach - released
Justin Newman - released
Andrew Good - released
Brandon Rice - pitching in relief for Billings
Nick Moran - released
R. Medina - mostly pitched in Sarasota but has spent time in Chattanooga and Dayton
Daniel Donaldson - released
Phil Valiquette - in Sarasota; his career seems revived
Fr. Mateo - released
B. Camardese - released; pitched in Toronto's organization this year; thrived in A+ but struggled mightily in AA

KittyDuran
08-12-2008, 04:00 PM
i didnt see valiquette when i was in sarasota, and i saw most of the minor leaguers, so i assume he is gone.I might be wrong but I thought I saw him pitch this year at one of the games in Dayton. :confused:

dougdirt
08-12-2008, 04:04 PM
I might be wrong but I thought I saw him pitch this year at one of the games in Dayton. :confused:

This thread was started in April..... 2007. Its real old. Valiquette was in Dayton earlier this year, now in Sarasota and dominating.

KittyDuran
08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
This thread was started in April..... 2007. Its real old. Valiquette was in Dayton earlier this year, now in Sarasota and dominating.:redface:

dougdirt
08-12-2008, 04:10 PM
:redface:

Yeah, I don't know why it got all the way back to the top... kind of strange.

redsmetz
08-12-2008, 04:23 PM
You would think that someone named Fr. Mateo would be playing for the Padres...

gedred69
08-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I don't know why it got all the way back to the top... kind of strange.

Yeah, that is totally bizarre. Can a Monitor explain? Valiquette has done really well this season. He is worth keeping a watch on. He's young, and looks even younger, maybe another "baby-faced assassin". OMG, hope I didn't hang the curse of Danny Graves on him!!:D

camisadelgolf
08-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Sorry, everybody. I ran into this thread because I wanted to type a small update on Kevin Gunter, but there is no Kevin Gunter thread, so I just gave mini-updates on all the guys that were asked about.

highheat11
08-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Kevin Gunter - released by the Reds; signed by the Marlins and is doing poorly in A-ball

Looking at his stats on MiLB.com, Gunter's stats don't seem to be too terrible. Its possible he's adjusting to the different styles of pitching coaches (i.e. shortening his stride, different arm slot, etc). Even if this were the case, his ERA isn't THAT high.

camisadelgolf
08-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Looking at his stats on MiLB.com, Gunter's stats don't seem to be too terrible. Its possible he's adjusting to the different styles of pitching coaches (i.e. shortening his stride, different arm slot, etc). Even if this were the case, his ERA isn't THAT high.

He's turning 25 pretty soon, and he has a 1.57 WHIP in the South Atlantica League (A-ball). For a reliever, ERA can be particularly deceiving. He hasn't been absolutely pathetic, but overall, I'd say he has done fairly poorly, all things considered.

highheat11
08-13-2008, 01:31 AM
I can agree with that. If you're not having great numbers in A-ball approaching your 25th birthday, and you're not just having issues such as control/minor injuries, it may be time to start looking for another career. Not saying he'll never succeed at any level (Independent leagues, journeyman minor league player), but more times than not that's what seems to happen.