PDA

View Full Version : Bronson quote

Gunner44
04-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Saw this quote in an espn article after the game and thought it was pretty funny.

"I want to feel like a ballplayer," said Arroyo, who pitched into the eighth. "I'm not going to wear a jacket like a schoolgirl. I want to play the game."

Razor Shines
04-05-2007, 12:34 AM
That is funny.

jhiller21
04-05-2007, 01:37 AM
While it's a funny quote, wearing a jacket while on-base keeps his arm warm. In weather like we had tonight, that could mean lasting another 10-20 pitches while maintaining effectiveness. I've seen pitchers ask for a jacket when it's 60-70 degrees.

AtomicDumpling
04-05-2007, 01:42 AM
If he really wanted to look like a ballplayer he would cut the hair and scratch himself more often. :D

TeamBoone
04-05-2007, 01:58 AM
If he really wanted to look like a ballplayer he would cut the hair and scratch himself more often. :D

I know you're making a joke, but why is it that some people think a ballplayer must have short/shorn hair and be clean shaven to "look like" a ballplayer?

What does a real ballplayer look like anyway?

My own opinion is that they come in all shapes and sizes, clean shaven or bearded/moustached, semi long hair (maybe even really long if you check out some NFL players) or short or buzzed.

A ballplayer is an athlete; his personal side is exactly that and as long as it doesn't impact his performance, he should have the right to choose the different attributes of his appearance that are within his control.

AtomicDumpling
04-05-2007, 02:22 AM
I know you're making a joke, but why is it that some people think a ballplayer must have short/shorn hair and be clean shaven to "look like" a ballplayer?

My own opinion is that they come in all shapes and sizes, clean shaven or bearded/moustached, semi long hair (maybe even really long if you check out some NFL players) or short or buzzed.

A ballplayer is an athlete; his personal side is exactly that and as long as it doesn't impact his performance, he should have the right to choose the different attributes of his appearance that are within his control.

I agree with you 100%.

I think most baseball players before the 70's had short hair and no beards. Since the 70's there have been all sorts of hairstyles: basketball-size afro's, mullets, spike-tops and bleached locks. Fine with me.

FlightRick
04-05-2007, 03:18 AM
Just please re-assure me that whatever you're agreeing upon about various hairstyles does *NOT* include approving that Arroyo ever reprise those ultra-tarded corn rows, and I think we're not too philosophically far apart...

Still: the issue here is probably that we've guy a guy named after "Death Wish" on our team, and he's more petitie, got longer legs, and prettier hair than most do-able chicks.... he's (to paraphrase the Current Best Host In Late Night) a glossed up lady-boy... he is, to put is succinctly, David Beckham.

I, for one, applaud the idea of a guy named "Bronson" finally getting in touch with his masculine side. Especially if it means more hilarious one-liners from the guy which help take the sting off a disappointing loss.... keeping the ERA under 4.00 would be even better, of course, but baby steps... baby steps....

RFS62
04-05-2007, 07:03 AM

http://www.spitter.com/images/oscar.jpg

Red_BlueDevil
04-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Looks like ESPN's version of BA's comment was edited for content.

According to CTrent, here was BA's verbatim quote (which I happen to think is only funnier)

QUOTE OF THE NIGHT: Bronson Arroyo on why he didn't wear a jacket on the bases: "I want to feel like a ball player. I don't want to wear a f---in' jacket like a schoolgirl. I want to play the game, you know?"

rotnoid
04-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Looks like ESPN's version of BA's comment was edited for content.

According to CTrent, here was BA's verbatim quote (which I happen to think is only funnier)

QUOTE OF THE NIGHT: Bronson Arroyo on why he didn't wear a jacket on the bases: "I want to feel like a ball player. I don't want to wear a f---in' jacket like a schoolgirl. I want to play the game, you know?"

Lousy Disney and their silly editing. :)

sonny
04-05-2007, 08:28 AM

this guy? At least thats what I picture.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/Babe_Ruth.jpg

blumj
04-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Just please re-assure me that whatever you're agreeing upon about various hairstyles does *NOT* include approving that Arroyo ever reprise those ultra-tarded corn rows
Sorry, but the cornrows aren't a style thing, they're a mojo thing, and if you're a fan, you have to approve of any mojo thing. It's in the rulebook.

smith288
04-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Then what do you call THIS Bronson?!?!?!?!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cf38b3127cce9b9da0e539a800000016109Abt2jlsza-

What a wuss.

MississippiRed
04-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Saw this quote in an espn article after the game and thought it was pretty funny.

"I want to feel like a ballplayer," said Arroyo, who pitched into the eighth. "I'm not going to wear a jacket like a schoolgirl. I want to play the game."

Sounds good until you consider that double-earflap batting helmet he wears.

blumj
04-05-2007, 10:02 AM

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cf38b3127cce9b9da0e539a800000016109Abt2jlsza-

You call him a champion. God, I love seeing those pics, thank you.

Always Red
04-05-2007, 10:03 AM
That green thing in the pic is even worse than "Gapper"...

Danny Serafini
04-05-2007, 10:43 AM
That green thing in the pic is even worse than "Gapper"...

I didn't realize Oscar the Grouch was working for the Red Sox now.

TOBTTReds
04-05-2007, 11:10 AM
I didn't realize Oscar the Grouch was working for the Red Sox now.

That is actually Steinbrenner. He lost a nasty bet.

macro
04-05-2007, 12:14 PM

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/photos/1975reds.jpg

Sorry, TB, I couldn't resist, and I'm just pokin' at ya.

:evil:

George Anderson
04-05-2007, 12:19 PM
http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/photos/1975reds.jpg

Sorry, TB, I couldn't resist, and I'm just pokin' at ya.

:evil:

I get shivers down my spine every time I see that pic:thumbup:

Johnny Footstool
04-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Only schoolgirls wear jackets?

NJReds
04-05-2007, 01:55 PM

My daughter hates wearing a jacket.

vaticanplum
04-05-2007, 07:42 PM

That's exactly what I thought. I think Bronson needs to work on his metaphors. And similies, if you will.

TeamBoone
04-05-2007, 09:15 PM
I think he was using it as a poor substitute for the word "sissy".

TeamBoone
04-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Still: the issue here is probably that we've guy a guy named after "Death Wish" on our team, and he's more petitie, got longer legs, and prettier hair than most do-able chicks.... he's (to paraphrase the Current Best Host In Late Night) a glossed up lady-boy... he is, to put is succinctly, David Beckham.

You're kidding, right? I wouldn't consider Bronson a lady-boy or pretty boy at all. Though kinda skinny, he's very masculine IMHO.

BTW, no doubt in my mind that he'll turn that ERA around very quickly.

Oh! And one more thing... the picture of the Babe... I've always thought he was fat.

FlightRick
04-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Allow me to amend my statement to read that, by mere outward appearances, Bronson *looks* like a lady-boy. If nothing else, he clearly has a hair product budget greater than "one bottle of shampoo," which is really quite unfortunate if you are laying claim to male genitalia.

Other than that, however, the things I know/have-heard about the guy certainly do make him seem less effete. Then again, that list is so short that I think it only includes two items: (1) drinking his face off and sleeping in till 3pm, thus missing several team/media functions during the All Star Festivities last year, and (2) the above-mentioned quote about jacket-wearing nancies, which was high-freaking-larious.

If we could just get him to quit playing guitar in public until somebody learns him to RAWK, that'd help out a lot, too.... but that's a whole other story (and another thread, I'm sure).

Redlegs82
04-05-2007, 11:21 PM

I do like the attitude, though the similies do need work.

blumj
04-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Allow me to amend my statement to read that, by mere outward appearances, Bronson *looks* like a lady-boy. If nothing else, he clearly has a hair product budget greater than "one bottle of shampoo," which is really quite unfortunate if you are laying claim to male genitalia.

Other than that, however, the things I know/have-heard about the guy certainly do make him seem less effete. Then again, that list is so short that I think it only includes two items: (1) drinking his face off and sleeping in till 3pm, thus missing several team/media functions during the All Star Festivities last year, and (2) the above-mentioned quote about jacket-wearing nancies, which was high-freaking-larious.

If we could just get him to quit playing guitar in public until somebody learns him to RAWK, that'd help out a lot, too.... but that's a whole other story (and another thread, I'm sure).
There are just some things that men and women see completely differently and always will. Bronson may seem "girly" to some other men, but you'd probably have a very tough time finding a woman who sees him that way.

TeamBoone
04-05-2007, 11:35 PM
There are just some things that men and women see completely differently and always will. Bronson may seem "girly" to some other men, but you'd probably have a very tough time finding a woman who sees him that way.

:beerme:

KittyDuran
04-06-2007, 08:14 AM

If we could just get him to quit playing guitar in public until somebody learns him to RAWK, that'd help out a lot, too.... but that's a whole other story (and another thread, I'm sure).You need to go to this website and and do a search to read about his exploits with women (even while he was married...). The guys a legend on this site. ;)

http://itsasecretsohush.blogspot.com/

TC81190
04-06-2007, 02:03 PM
If nothing else, he clearly has a hair product budget greater than "one bottle of shampoo," which is really quite unfortunate if you are laying claim to male genitalia.

Stereotypes, woo! :rolleyes:

Matt700wlw
04-06-2007, 02:14 PM

Exactly. Babe Ruth, the greatest hitter ever, was fat, drunk, and out of shape.

Jr's Boy
04-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Yes I love the story's about The Babe drinking all night and hitting the game winning HR the next day.

Spitball
04-06-2007, 02:23 PM

What a wuss.

Wait! You are joking, right? I really, really doubt that this is a picture of Bronson Arroyo. Look how short that person is compared to the mascot and the girl. This is probably a picture of wives or female fans, but not our Arroyo. Besides, wearing a jacket in Boston in October is not the same as wearing one in Cincy in April. It can be quite cold there in October.

And...Arroyo had his cornrows for the World Series!

TeamBoone
04-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Wait! You are joking, right? I really, really doubt that this is a picture of Bronson Arroyo. Look how short that person is compared to the mascot and the girl. This is probably a picture of wives or female fans, but not our Arroyo. Besides, wearing a jacket in Boston in October is not the same as wearing one in Cincy in April. It can be quite cold there in October.

And...Arroyo had his cornrows for the World Series!

I also doubt you'd find him in the stands.

BTW, it's currently snowing in Cincinnati, which really stinks.

butlerbulldogs
04-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Sounds good until you consider that double-earflap batting helmet he wears.

the double earflap batting helmet is awesome, i was pulling for bellhorn as well, so we would have two players on the team w/ the double earflaps

vaticanplum
04-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Bronson may seem "girly" to some other men, but you'd probably have a very tough time finding a woman who sees him that way.

Oh, I think he's a total nancyboy. There is no doubt in my mind there are more hair products in his shower than there are in mine. Hell, the man has aesthetically pleasing body line when he pitches. I've often thought, in all seriousness, that he could have been a great ballet dancer.

He's a girly man through and through. Perhaps the gender difference to which you're referring is the fact that, perhaps unlike many men, I see no problem with that :)

FlightRick
04-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Just so I know, and so I don't rub folks the wrong way again, check me on this:

Vague innuendo about Jim Bowden's baffling predilicition for leather pants is encouraged? But poking fun at Our Favorite Ladyboy's less masculine attributes is verboten? Have I got that right?

I'll try to keep that in mind going forward. My deepest apologies to all who took offense, be they the Bronson Fan Grrrrls or defensive guys with flamboyant ladyboy tendencies of their own. With some of these screennames, it's so very hard to tell....

blumj
04-07-2007, 05:22 PM

Vague innuendo about Jim Bowden's baffling predilicition for leather pants is encouraged? But poking fun at Our Favorite Ladyboy's less masculine attributes is verboten? Have I got that right?

I'll try to keep that in mind going forward. My deepest apologies to all who took offense, be they the Bronson Fan Grrrrls or defensive guys with flamboyant ladyboy tendencies of their own. With some of these screennames, it's so very hard to tell....
I don't see anyone who seems offended, just having a little fun, maybe, because your "Ladyboy" has a bit of a rep as being something of a "Ladies Man". Plus, there's that Saturn thing...

cacollinsmba
04-08-2007, 02:12 AM
I get the impression that what he was trying to allude to is the idea of a high school chick wearing her boyfriend's letterman jacket.

cacollinsmba
04-08-2007, 02:16 AM

I don't think that people make fun of Bowden's leather pants because they think he's unmanly, but rather:

1. Wearing leather pants is so uncharacteristic of a major league GM, yet so characteristic of Bowden (although I would say that the House of Adam suits are almost as outrageous as the leather pants).

2. Wearing leather pants in Florida, no matter what time of year, is a little much.