PDA

View Full Version : Burton

sonny
04-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Yee-Ouch!

The one out recored in his line wasn't even his doing. He'll be allright, seeing how it was his ML debut.

For you stat guys out there here is my career MLB pitching statistics:

G W L ERA IP W K S BAA
0 0 0 0.00 0 0 0 0 .000

HumnHilghtFreel
04-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Definitely not the best way to make a debut, but it was just that, a debut. Hopefully he'll have the nerves out of the way by his next appearance.

Topcat
04-05-2007, 02:19 AM
Way I look at it is this, are the Red's a serious World series contender? Nope thus they should be developing talent for the long term and live with the ups and downs of there young talent. It is not like they are abusing players like Bruce and Cueto and Homer Bailey. They are just trying to build there future complimentary players for the future.

Jr's Boy
04-05-2007, 02:37 AM
I hope Narron trots him out again tomorrow to see how he does then,and show some confidence in him.

Razor Shines
04-05-2007, 02:43 AM
I hope Narron trots him out again tomorrow to see how he does then,and show some confidence in him.

I hope he does if the game is not close. While I think most of it was just nerves, I don't really trust him in a close game right now. I do feel bad for him though, he was crying in the dugout while Pole was talking to him.

jhiller21
04-05-2007, 03:14 AM
Crying? There's no... well, you know the saying.

I agree that Narron should pitch him again tomorrow. This is the bigs kid, time to grow up, and fast.

sonny
04-05-2007, 03:34 AM
He should be glad Sweet Lou isn't his manager. Could you imagine? The kid would be told to suck it up and then punched in the stomach

jhiller21
04-05-2007, 03:42 AM
I don't know if Lou would go that far :laugh:

Here's hoping Dick Pole teaches him to turn those tears into anger. You have to get mad out there with the stuff Burton has.

sonny
04-05-2007, 03:44 AM
how can you cry talking to Dick Pole?

jhiller21
04-05-2007, 03:54 AM
Well, when Dick Pole's your pitching coach, you better cry when you don't throw strikes.

Jpup
04-05-2007, 05:40 AM
1 game. 1 night. He'll be fine. I have watched some great players do the same thing. As far as him crying, I didn't see that, but I don't see that as a big deal. At least, we know he really cares.

Degenerate39
04-05-2007, 06:17 AM

Only if we have a huge lead or if were losing big

as_v_1
04-05-2007, 07:39 AM
He should be glad Sweet Lou isn't his manager. Could you imagine? The kid would be told to suck it up and then punched in the stomach

Im thinking he should be glad he does not have Ozzie Guillen for a manager. He would probably call out the kids sexual preference in the media. Then send him back to AAA.

I want to see the kid get some more chances. He has got his first major league appearance behind him now, so pressure or not he better at least throw some strikes the next time.

LoganBuck
04-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Burton was obviously nervous, he wasn't following through completely on his pitches, I will give him a pass he is a rookie. The dude does has some serious hair on his fastball though, as well as his chin.

bucksfan2
04-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Listening to the radio Joe seemed to think it was more nerves than anything. It sounded like he is trying to overthrow everything. Hes got the stuff to succeed just needs to fine tune it. No big deal on his first outing.

Team Clark
04-05-2007, 08:25 AM
1 game. 1 night. He'll be fine. I have watched some great players do the same thing. As far as him crying, I didn't see that, but I don't see that as a big deal. At least, we know he really cares.

I liked how Brantley chimed in and let everyone know he walked the bases loaded in his debut. It lets the fans that hang on every pitch, as if it's the end of the world, know it is ok to suck once in awhile.

Krash
04-05-2007, 09:14 AM
For those of us who can't watch the games, can someone tell me what happened with Burton? Thanks.

Cant Touch This
04-05-2007, 09:26 AM
For those of us who can't watch the games, can someone tell me what happened with Burton? Thanks.

He went a little Rick Ankiel on us last night in his ML debut, however, I don't see him trying out for RF anytime soon.

kbrake
04-05-2007, 09:34 AM

Anyone else think Sweet Lou was going to drop kick Ryan Dempster last night? If I was Dempster I would have been scared at how fast Lou got out there. I think it is safe to say someone else will be the closer in Chicago within a couple weeks.

TheWalls
04-05-2007, 09:42 AM
To quote Alton Brown: "Your patience will be rewarded" with Burton.

C'mon, his major league debut, on a frigid night, with swirling winds of course he was going to struggle. It's over and he'll grow. He's got great stuff and by the end of the year it will be easy to forget about our previous Golden Buckeye Bullpen.

Joseph
04-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Pole: Don't worry about it kid. In a couple weeks you're going to forget all about this and if you pitch like I know you can, you'll have a great career. Me on the other hand, my name will still be Dick Pole.

Burton: Thanks coach, that makes me feel better.

paintmered
04-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Pole: Don't worry about it kid. In a couple weeks you're going to forget all about this and if you pitch like I know you can, you'll have a great career. Me on the other hand, my name will still be Dick Pole.

Burton: Thanks coach, that makes me feel better.

:laugh: :thumbup:

lollipopcurve
04-05-2007, 10:19 AM
I'd be a little more comfortable with the "first-night jitters" explanation if:

a) he didn't have the rep of being kinda wild
b) he had thrown at least a couple strikes
c) his misses had been consistently close

He was all over the place and I don't think he went to a secondary pitch once. As others have noted, would be nice for Narron to get him back out there soon to see if he can shake it off.

membengal
04-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Look me up when he isn't pitching in an icebox. Tough conditions to make your major league debut...

lollipopcurve
04-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Look me up when he isn't pitching in an icebox. Tough conditions to make your major league debut...

Maybe you're right. I hope you're right. But, as I said, he really wasn't close with his fastball to 3 consecutive hitters. I'm not writing him off, but I am not considering him a building block for our bullpen yet, either. He struggled at the end of ST, remember, and he was left unprotected by the As after a full season at AA. I have my doubts about the guy, which does not mean I'm not rooting for him -- I'd love to see a big, nasty guy with good hard stuff out there as much as the next guy.

dfs
04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
The ball was moving on him.
He didn't do himself any favors with his mechanics.
If he can put it all together, He'll be awesome.

It was great to see Pole talking to him after the outing. You very rarely saw that kind of pitcher/coach interaction under Gullet/Hume/Ruhle. Maybe it was there, we just never saw it.

Santos did a nice job mopping up. There was a ton of anguish about the high priced vets that Krivsky brought in to man the bullpen. Wouldn't it be something if they ended the year with a bullpen of Coffey/Bray/Saarloos/Santos/Coutlangus and Burton?

Chip R
04-05-2007, 10:33 AM

This is Jerry Narron we're talking about. Burton probably won't see the light of day unless the Reds are down 10.

Redsman80
04-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Jared Burton=http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/041012/16553__sheen_l.jpg

Jaycint
04-05-2007, 10:56 AM
I don't think it was the conditions, I think it was just the nerves of a kid getting in a still relatively tight ballgame in his first big league appearance.

After all, Arroyo and Lilly and the other relievers were pitching in the same weather and they both looked real sharp.

Chalk it up to a learning experience and run him out there again. And again if need be. Let him prove he belongs or doesn't over the course of a few months. I'd rather hitch my wagon to a guy like him than one that gets a discount on coffee at McDonald's.

6-4-3
04-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Chalk it up to a learning experience and run him out there again. And again if need be. Let him prove he belongs or doesn't over the course of a few months.

I agree, with the position this bullpen is currently in, I like having Burton in the mix. The kid has legit stuff, let him get some mop up work before throwing him into the fire. In the meantime guys like Stanton and Wheathers can be a calming vet influence on him. At this point in time Burton has far to good of stuff to give up on after one poor April outing.

Dracodave
04-05-2007, 06:07 PM
I'd rather hitch my wagon to a guy like him than one that gets a discount on coffee at McDonald's.

But...

If he gets that discount at Dunkin' Donuts..he can buy some for the whole team! Think of the possiblities!
------------------------

Give Burton a month or two of regular work and than decide. Worst possible scenario is he bombs as bad as the ancient bullpen guys will.

LawFive
04-05-2007, 06:36 PM
The next time won't be his first time. He'll get better.

Falls City Beer
04-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Maybe you're right. I hope you're right. But, as I said, he really wasn't close with his fastball to 3 consecutive hitters. I'm not writing him off, but I am not considering him a building block for our bullpen yet, either. He struggled at the end of ST, remember, and he was left unprotected by the As after a full season at AA. I have my doubts about the guy, which does not mean I'm not rooting for him -- I'd love to see a big, nasty guy with good hard stuff out there as much as the next guy.

I agree.

GAC
04-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Any pitcher will tell you that in that type of weather it's very hard to grip the ball. Especially one who is just coming into the game late, and have been sitting out in the BP freezin' your butt off, let alone trying to get your arm ready.

SirFelixCat
04-06-2007, 06:33 AM
I'm not ready to lump him in with Joe Valentine quite yet. Let's see how the kid does when it's not sub-freezing temps out there....

Oh, looky there....4500 posts. Woot!