PDA

View Full Version : New Music

registerthis
04-05-2007, 10:58 AM
I was thinking last night...wow, there is alot of music coming out soon that I'm goign to be interested in. Seems like every 12-16 months there is a flurry of releases of bands that I like.

Off the top of my head, I know of the following bands who have upcoming releases I'm anxiously awaiting:

Travis
Crowded House
Rush
Manic Street Preachers
Massive Attack
Interpol

...new Smashing Pumpkins and Radiohead coming later in the year as well.

In addition to new albums by the Shins, Modest Mouse, and Arcade Fire, it's a good time to be a music fan (at least, one with my tastes.) Anyone else have any new albums they're anxiously awaiting?

Johnny Footstool
04-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Dinosaur Jr.

pahster
04-05-2007, 11:50 AM
I just picked up the new Finger Eleven album. It's pretty good.

pedro
04-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Dinosaur Jr.

Looking forward to that.

Razor Shines
04-05-2007, 11:53 AM
I was thinking last night...wow, there is alot of music coming out soon that I'm goign to be interested in. Seems like every 12-16 months there is a flurry of releases of bands that I like.

Off the top of my head, I know of the following bands who have upcoming releases I'm anxiously awaiting:

Travis
Crowded House
Rush
Manic Street Preachers
Massive Attack
Interpol

In addition to new albums by the Shins, Modest Mouse, and Arcade Fire, it's a good time to be a music fan (at least, one with my tastes.) Anyone else have any new albums they're anxiously awaiting?

I've always liked Travis. I think their new CD is going to be really good.

texasdave
04-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Dinosaur Jr.

I only have one question for Dinosaur Jr. Where you been? :)

RichRed
04-05-2007, 02:21 PM

Travis
Crowded House
Rush
Manic Street Preachers
Massive Attack
Interpol

Ditto for me on Crowded House.

westofyou
04-05-2007, 02:22 PM

In a Jar.

Johnny Footstool
04-05-2007, 02:42 PM

Or maybe even "How ya doin'?", which is faintly muttered at the beginning of the song "Green Mind."

registerthis
04-05-2007, 03:51 PM
I forgot also, Wilco's album is out on May 15.

The money is literally flying out of my wallet right now...

registerthis
04-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Ditto for me on Crowded House.

Beck's drummer, Matt Sherrod, is playing with them now. I'm going to be really curious to hear it.

I'll be in Australia over the summer, and even though the chances are slim I am drooling at the possibility of seeing them over there. Their "Farewell to the World" DVD from the Opera House is unbelieveable.

nycredsfan
04-05-2007, 04:23 PM
The National- 5/22
Spoon- 7/10
Tegan & Sara- 7/24
Iron & Wine- 9/?
Wolf Parade- summer/fall 2007

Joseph
04-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Tori Amos - American Doll Posse 5/1
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero 4/17
Patti Smith - Twelve 4/24
Dolores O'Riordan - Are You Listening? 5/8
Marilyn Manson - Eat Me, Drink Me 6/12
The Meat Puppets - Rise To Your Knees 6/26

registerthis
04-05-2007, 05:00 PM
The Meat Puppets - Rise To Your Knees 6/26

I didn't know they had re-formed.

Joseph
04-05-2007, 05:05 PM
I didn't know they had re-formed.

From the wiki:
On March 24, 2006, Curt Kirkwood polled fans at his MySpace page[1] with the following bulletin: "Question for all! Would the original line up of the Meat Puppets interest anyone? Feedback is good - do you want a reunion?!" The response from fans was overwhelmingly positive within a couple of hours, leading to speculation of a full-blown Meat Puppets reunion in the near future. However, a post made by Derrick Bostrom on the official Meat Puppets site dismissed the notion. [2]

An April 26, 2006 billboard.com story reported [3] that the Kirkwood brothers would reunite as the Meat Puppets without original drummer Derrick Bostrom. Primus drummer Tim Alexander was announced in the article as Bostrom's replacement, a role that was later revealed be attributed to drummer Ted Marcus. The new lineup recorded a new full-length album in mid-to-late 2006; no title or label has been announced yet for the new album.

On January 20, 2007, The Meat Puppets brothers performed 2 songs during an Army of Anyone concert, at La Zona Rosa in Austin, TX. The first song was played with Curt Kirkwood and Cris Kirkwood, along with Army of Anyone's Ray Luzier and Dean DeLeo. Then the second song was played with original members Curt and Cris Kirkwood and new Meat Puppets drummer Ted Marcus. This was in the middle of Army of Anyone's set and on their set list they listed the segment of the show as "Meat Puppet Theatre".

The Meat Puppets have been recording in Austin, TX for their new album. The band performed several new songs in March at the South by Southwest festival.

The new album called 'Rise to Your Knees' is coming out in June 2007 and will be released on Anodyne Records. [4]

On March 28, 2007. The Band announced a west coast tour through their MySpace page[5]. This is the first tour with original bassist Cris in 11 years. The website also promises midwest and east coast concert dates later this year.

Larry Schuler
04-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Looking forward to The National's Boxer in late May and John Vanderslice's new record in August.

pedro
04-05-2007, 08:47 PM
I was a huge Meat Puppets fan back in the day.

Good live band. Saw them at Stache's in Columbus and The Union in Athens.

Joseph
04-05-2007, 09:12 PM

Good live band. Saw them at Stache's in Columbus and The Union in Athens.

I'll reveal my poser status here...I never even heard of them until Too High To Die, but I went back and got a lot of the other albums from a used shop in town afterwards and like much of what I'd heard.

registerthis
04-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Saw them at Stache's in Columbus

Sadly, I was too young to ever take in a show at Stache's. Though my band did play in its successor, Little Brothers, on a few occasions.

westofyou
04-06-2007, 10:28 AM

Up on the sun
Where it never rains or snows
There's an ocean
With a wind that never blows
And if you see it closer
Then the finer points will show
Not to much more
Too much more

CrackerJack
04-06-2007, 11:27 AM
I had to chuckle at the new Meat Puppets - had no idea they were still around.

Saw them open up for Cracker at a fall fest at Ohio University in Athens back in the early 90's - $1 canadian beers and a small parking lot full of people, fun times.

Looking forward to the new Interpol and will see them, Spoon, Arcade Fire, Bjork and the Beasties at the Sasquatch Music Fest in Washington State as I mentioned in another thread, next month. Can't wait!

Also a big fan of Broken Social Scene - part of the Canadian invasion along with Metric and Arcade Fire - too bad BSS have taken a hiatus though, what a great, underrated/hyped group along with Metric.

westofyou
04-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Looking forward to the new Interpol and will see them, Spoon, Arcade Fire, Bjork and the Beasties at the Sasquatch Music Fest in Washington State as I mentioned in another thread, next month. Can't wait!

My Festival days are over, I used to live 10 minutes from Shoreline and used to ride my bike to Lollapalooza, but no more, no more.

That lineup is interesting, I like Spoon a lot.

Giant music events in the desert... the official song for that weekend should be "Chill Out Tent" by The Hold Steady.

pedro
04-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Beastie Boys are great live.

registerthis
04-06-2007, 02:05 PM

THAT is a crack lineup, wish I could be there...

Just picked up me Rush tickets today. :cool:

vaticanplum
04-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Beastie Boys are great live.

I saw them at Madison Square Garden...the crowd alone almost makes the shows.

jason
04-06-2007, 08:10 PM
White Stripes in June, Interpol, Wilco, and Blackout fest at the union

nycredsfan
04-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Also a big fan of Broken Social Scene - part of the Canadian invasion along with Metric and Arcade Fire - too bad BSS have taken a hiatus though, what a great, underrated/hyped group along with Metric.

In the meantime, I am really enjoying National Anthem of Nowhere by Apostle of Hustle, which is a side project by one of the many guitarists in Broken Social Scene. To add to the list of great music from Canada, I like The Dears and the Islands.